What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2017 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (2 Viewers)

he had like no sacks last year and complained every week about anything and everything.   maybe they can get him to play again, but he seems like hes not long for the league

Looks like Rubin is expendable now.  Maybe we can trade him back to the Jets for that 2nd.

(yes, this is sarcasm--he'll go for a 7th or be cut tomorrow)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal for the Seahawks...they are now a little like the old Raiders...they can take in a guy with great talent but some baggage and find out what he has left...Richardson is a handful up-front if his head is on straight which it most certainly wasn't with the Jets...if this works out it would be a huge addition to an already very good defense...

Wrong line to add to but dang man- you can't turn away a guy like that while giving up what a WR you don't want and a pick. That is one heck of a D-line now. 

Trumaine Brock traded to the Vikings. What?

For a 7th round pick.

It's too bad Graham was ridiculously held.  Would have preferred to see a game where that was called.

I hope someone in the Seahawks front office is watching the Vikings game and sees what happens when you actually make an effort to improve your OL.  How do these people have jobs.

Reading Davis Hsu's commentary on twitter. Sounds as if Seattle was unable to run the ball at all facing a Packer defense that played dime package all game long. This is horribly distressing. 

Great win against the Rams to keep up in the division.  Now heading into an early bye week we have a few folks who need to get healthy.  Mike B has some plantar fasciitis issue and Joeckel is removing scar tissue which would put him out a couple of weeks at least.

I know it didn't look like it Sunday but the O-line appears to be making good strides too.  I think against a lesser front 7 they actually hold their own.  

I'm feeling rather optimistic right now, especially considering their schedule over the next 6 games which they could go 5-1.

My take: They need Prosise to get on the field - Lacy and Rawls are not going to cut it but if you can get JD and Prosise in the rotation they could mash something together. On D, ET needs to keep doing his thing without getting hurt and it's all good. They have great depth everywhere on that side. 

Schedule is lining up great to have a good record but hard to be super confident in this team right now. Would have them behind GB, ATL and right there with Carolina and Philly. Not bad, definitely feels like a good team but not great.

Kam :sadbanana:

We all knew it was coming with the way he played but he was having his best season in a few years and that game in particular he was playing his ### off.

Seahawk homers, am I nuts to think that Pete still wants to establish a run game and Lacy will be that guy and contribute? I know the O-line has yet to perform but I still think before the end of the season Lacy becomes a factor in their offense........

We knew it had to come to an end at some point. What a run. Years from now we'll look back and perhaps think of this era of football in Seattle as having a defense that sustained greatness like few others ever have. They went four straight years giving up the fewest points. Was very close to being five straight years. 

If Kam is done I'm going to football depressed. He brought the BOOM to the LOB.  There were some special players on this defense that brought technical skills to the team, but Kam has been the heart. It won't be the same. I will miss watching him pound his right fist into his left palm so much. 

There were some guys that made a career out of a handful of big hits, or even just one or two, but with Kam there were just too many to count. The number of times he made us cringe... Hell, I really think the two hits he put on Vernon Davis during his time in SF changed the path of Vernon's career. He went into a funk for many years after Kam dropped the hammer on him twice. It's been cool seeing Davis have a bit of a resurgence this year with the Skins.

Click here for his resume as the hardest hitting DB of all times --> LINK

:kicksrock:

Just played best game of year. Bevell even had a great game. 

If they can get past the Jags next week, oh man.

For a supposedly rabid fan base the last post in this thread is Dec 6?? Ya’ll disappeared :lmao:  
Look who thinks they are on top of the hill. I didn't address your last post in another thread because it was not warranted. We dont have a rivalry and we don't play in the same conference.

As a life long Seahawk fan..Enjoy the ride, it will only last so long.

Go after Pitt, and NE fans. Be prepared for abuse, be confident...but act like you have been there before.

Oh, wait you can't. My bad.

They lost to the Redskins at home because Walsh missed three FGs.  That's the one that will keep them out.

Carroll blew the Atlanta game, the whole coaching staff did.  They should be in a position to win the division next week but they aren't even with all the defensive injuries, the horrible kicking, and the suspect coaching decisions.  People are talking about the defense getting old but as long as they have Russell Wilson they'll be a team to reckon with. 

Big big offseason. I think Bennett is probably gone. Avril probably retires. Chancellor probably wants to play but should retire. They both can do whatever they want, Seahawk all-timers but it is a business. Jimmy probably gone. Paul Richardson probably gets paid by someone else. Try and renegotiate Tyler Lockett. Have to try and resign Frank Clark and or Sheldon Richardson that’s going to be probably impossible. Lane gone. Of course Lacy, Rawls gone. Blair Walsh I’m sure packed up his house already. New punter, been a great run Ryan :tipshat:

Cable and Bevell may be gone.

Probably forgetting people and situations.

Looks like a fairly complete list. Well done. I’m going to be most interested in following the injury-retire situations more than anything else. How will that affect team’s ability to play at elite level again? Cap implications? 

I’ll try and throw out all my thoughts at some point this week. 

Note to me on things I want to ponder and discuss. 

Ifedi, Joekel, Fant, Graham, Richardson, a larger WR, blocking TE. 

Avril, Bennett, Jordan, McDowell, Kam, Sherman, Maxwell. 

Looks like a fairly complete list. Well done. I’m going to be most interested in following the injury-retire situations more than anything else. How will that affect team’s ability to play at elite level again? Cap implications? 

I’ll try and throw out all my thoughts at some point this week. 
That cap stuff is a mystery to me. Avril seems likely to retire and Kam sounded at one point like he may be done (at least I thought John Clayton was indicating that’s what he was hearing).

Those are 2 decent contracts off. Jimmy, Joekel, gone is another chunk.

Going to be a lot going on...

I’m not sure what’s up with Duane Brown but I think he is a top priority.  

The General said:
That cap stuff is a mystery to me. Avril seems likely to retire and Kam sounded at one point like he may be done (at least I thought John Clayton was indicating that’s what he was hearing).

Those are 2 decent contracts off. Jimmy, Joekel, gone is another chunk.
Kam's cap numbers:

• 2018: $9.8M cap hit; $7.5M in dead money if released; $2.3M difference
  • 2019: $13M cap hit; $5M in dead money if released; $8M difference
  • 2020: $14.5M cap hit; $2.5M in dead money if released; $12M difference
He will be 30 in April. As long as he recovers and is healthy, it seems worth the $2.3M difference in cap hit and dead money to keep him in 2018, especially since he was playing really well this season (was PFF's #5 safety when he got hurt). Depending on how he plays in 2019, it may then be worth it to keep him in 2019 under his current contract or possibly extend him to lower his 2019 cap hit. Or release him next offseason, when the cap numbers make it much more compelling to do so.

Avril is a different story. He is 2 years older and his cap numbers support releasing him: 2018 is the last year of his contract, he is due for a $8M cap hit, and would cost just $500K in dead money if released.

The cap is expected to be about $176M next season. Using that figure, Seattle has about $16.9M in available cap room, not accounting for any draft picks or any of their 2018 free agents:

• G Luke Joeckel
  • G Oday Aboushi
  • G Matt Tobin
  • TE Jimmy Graham
  • TE Luke Willson
  • RB Eddie Lacy
  • WR Paul Richardson
  • QB Austin Davis
  • DT Sheldon Richardson
  • DE Marcus Smith
  • OLB Dewey McDonald
  • ILB Terence Garvin
  • ILB Michael Wilhoite
  • CB Byron Maxwell
  • FS Bradley McDougald
  • FS Deshawn Shead
  • PK Blair Walsh
They could save $7.5M by releasing Avril, as mentioned above, and I expect they will. But they face quite a challenge:

• Their OL is already terrible and both starting Gs are free agents. So they have to find 2 starting Gs through a combination of re-signing Joeckel and/or Aboushi, signing free agents, or drafting players. (I assume the answer is not already on the roster, given how bad the OL has been.)
  • The RB position needs to be addressed. None of Lacy, Rawls, Davis, Carson, McKissic, or Prosise has shown they can be counted on as a RB1.
  • TE Vannett played 279 snaps and TE Swoope played 2. They are the only 2 TEs under contract.
  • WR Richardson played 816 snaps, second only to Baldwin among WRs. But they may not be able to afford to re-sign him. That would leave a weak WR corps: Baldwin, Lockett, ...Darboh? This seems especially important if Graham walks.
  • They stand to lose DT Richardson and DE Avril from the DL, although they should also get DT McDowell back.
  • Aside from Chancellor, Thomas, and McDougald, other Seattle safeties played a total of just 40 snaps on the season. If they cannot re-sign McDougald, depth will be lacking at a position where the starters have had injuries over the past couple seasons.
  • They will move on from PK Walsh but will have to find a replacement.
  • Should they feel they need an upgrade at P, they could release Ryan, but that will result in $1.2M in dead cap money in 2018. That is a $2M savings compared to his 2018 cap hit of $3.2M, but they would still need to sign another punter.
That is a lot to deal with.

Seattle has an atypical cap situation in that they have $55M in 2018 cap money tied up with Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor. That is more than 30% of the 2018 cap. Most teams do not spend at that level at the LB and S positions, at least not on 2 players each at those positions. No doubt these players have been key contributors to the success Seattle has had in recent years, but paying all of them at $10M+ levels makes it much more challenging to have a strong DL and a strong offense. That is why, as of now, Seattle looks set to be below average at every offensive position group in 2018 other than QB.

Kam's cap numbers:

• 2018: $9.8M cap hit; $7.5M in dead money if released; $2.3M difference
  • 2019: $13M cap hit; $5M in dead money if released; $8M difference
  • 2020: $14.5M cap hit; $2.5M in dead money if released; $12M difference
He will be 30 in April. As long as he recovers and is healthy, it seems worth the $2.3M difference in cap hit and dead money to keep him in 2018, especially since he was playing really well this season (was PFF's #5 safety when he got hurt). Depending on how he plays in 2019, it may then be worth it to keep him in 2019 under his current contract or possibly extend him to lower his 2019 cap hit. Or release him next offseason, when the cap numbers make it much more compelling to do so.

Avril is a different story. He is 2 years older and his cap numbers support releasing him: 2018 is the last year of his contract, he is due for a $8M cap hit, and would cost just $500K in dead money if released.

The cap is expected to be about $176M next season. Using that figure, Seattle has about $16.9M in available cap room, not accounting for any draft picks or any of their 2018 free agents:

• G Luke Joeckel
  • G Oday Aboushi
  • G Matt Tobin
  • TE Jimmy Graham
  • TE Luke Willson
  • RB Eddie Lacy
  • WR Paul Richardson
  • QB Austin Davis
  • DT Sheldon Richardson
  • DE Marcus Smith
  • OLB Dewey McDonald
  • ILB Terence Garvin
  • ILB Michael Wilhoite
  • CB Byron Maxwell
  • FS Bradley McDougald
  • FS Deshawn Shead
  • PK Blair Walsh
They could save $7.5M by releasing Avril, as mentioned above, and I expect they will. But they face quite a challenge:

• Their OL is already terrible and both starting Gs are free agents. So they have to find 2 starting Gs through a combination of re-signing Joeckel and/or Aboushi, signing free agents, or drafting players. (I assume the answer is not already on the roster, given how bad the OL has been.)
  • The RB position needs to be addressed. None of Lacy, Rawls, Davis, Carson, McKissic, or Prosise has shown they can be counted on as a RB1.
  • TE Vannett played 279 snaps and TE Swoope played 2. They are the only 2 TEs under contract.
  • WR Richardson played 816 snaps, second only to Baldwin among WRs. But they may not be able to afford to re-sign him. That would leave a weak WR corps: Baldwin, Lockett, ...Darboh? This seems especially important if Graham walks.
  • They stand to lose DT Richardson and DE Avril from the DL, although they should also get DT McDowell back.
  • Aside from Chancellor, Thomas, and McDougald, other Seattle safeties played a total of just 40 snaps on the season. If they cannot re-sign McDougald, depth will be lacking at a position where the starters have had injuries over the past couple seasons.
  • They will move on from PK Walsh but will have to find a replacement.
  • Should they feel they need an upgrade at P, they could release Ryan, but that will result in $1.2M in dead cap money in 2018. That is a $2M savings compared to his 2018 cap hit of $3.2M, but they would still need to sign another punter.
That is a lot to deal with.

Seattle has an atypical cap situation in that they have $55M in 2018 cap money tied up with Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor. That is more than 30% of the 2018 cap. Most teams do not spend at that level at the LB and S positions, at least not on 2 players each at those positions. No doubt these players have been key contributors to the success Seattle has had in recent years, but paying all of them at $10M+ levels makes it much more challenging to have a strong DL and a strong offense. That is why, as of now, Seattle looks set to be below average at every offensive position group in 2018 other than QB.
I hope you have a blog somewhere, this is pretty amazing knowledge and detail. Really good stuff.

Some random thoughts after going through that:

Avril is a goner or will retire. He’ll do a lot of things outside of football. Really liked listening to that guy.

Agreed Kam is a good value but he can’t be counted on for a full season.

Would love to keep DT Richardson, but that’s a pipe dream I think.

Isn’t Frank Clark also up?

I wouldn’t count on anything out of McDowell.

I hope they can keep Macdougal.

Too many needs on OL for all the picks they have spent there. Definitely a blind spot for Schneider. If they keep Brown and get Fant back, Pocic can develop (not sure if his knee was messed up yesterday) Britt is decent, maybe they can at least be serviceable.

Graham is gone. Would love to have him back but think they have to skimp somewhere and Wilson and Vannett they can survive there.

Don’t know what they do at RB. It can’t be worse than this year so we’ll just roll with whoever they can dig up in the draft. Carson will be back.

Lots of holes to fill for sure but if they have a have way decent kicker they have 2 more wins.

We can find a kicker and Punter. Ryan has been a great player but he’s been slipping.

The General said:
Big big offseason. I think Bennett is probably gone. Avril probably retires. Chancellor probably wants to play but should retire. They both can do whatever they want, Seahawk all-timers but it is a business. Jimmy probably gone. Paul Richardson probably gets paid by someone else. Try and renegotiate Tyler Lockett. Have to try and resign Frank Clark and or Sheldon Richardson that’s going to be probably impossible. Lane gone. Of course Lacy, Rawls gone. Blair Walsh I’m sure packed up his house already. New punter, been a great run Ryan :tipshat:

Cable and Bevell may be gone.

I've been reading this a lot suddenly.  I don't agree unless there's something else going on behind the scenes.  Bennett will only save us $2M against the cap so he's more than likely to return.

I've been reading this a lot suddenly.  I don't agree unless there's something else going on behind the scenes.  Bennett will only save us $2M against the cap so he's more than likely to return.
He brought it up after yesterday’s game but he is a bit prone to being dramatic.

He’s had a fantastic career here and I know the foot was messed up bad this year but there were long stretches where it felt like he didn’t do anything. I may be wrong there, he did have around 9 sacks I think.

Have heard a few of the local radio guys say he’s been a bit more of a headache this year but who knows what that means or how accurate it is.

I trust Schneider to get that position figured skill / salary wise. 

Agree, I'm not sure where the thought that he could be gone is coming from (I mean, I know he said something about it, but it doesn't make sense). He just signed his 3 year contract extension a year ago and is under contract through the 2020 season. More importantly:

1. His 2018 cap hit is $8.4M, but if they release/trade him this offseason, it results in $5.2M in dead money on the 2018 cap. He seems worth the $3.2M difference...
  2. ...particularly because they are likely to lose both Avril and Richardson. Losing Bennett on top of both of them would be impossible to recover from.

Bennett as a post June 1 cut is a $5.5 mil saving according to over the cap.  $2.025mil as a pre June 1 cut

Pete was just saying that Avril and Cam may not be able to come back due neck injuries/conditions

according to "over the cap" they are sitting at $19.4mil cap space for 2018 and $81.4mil projected for 2019

cutting Avril would up 2018 to $26.9mil

designating Bennett "post June 1" would up 2018 to $32.4mil

cutting Cam after June 1 would up 2018 to $39.7mil

I am not sure of how the injury designation cuts affect salary cap though. Doing the above mentioned would add about $10mil to 2019s $81mil projected cap space. Situation looks better than I had thought it would

Don’t know what they do at RB. It can’t be worse than this year so we’ll just roll with whoever they can dig up in the draft. Carson will be back.
If they don't address the O line in a big way, it won't matter who they trot out there to carry the ball. 

I had no idea what their cap situation was like, so thanks for that. I knew they had tied up a lot in Wilson and a few of the defensive stalwarts.

That said, the most pressing areas of improvement needed this off-season are (imo):

1) O-line

2) O-line

3) Offensive play calling / coaching.

4) Defensive unit performance on 3rd down

5) Kicking game

I know there's more to it than that...but if all those items hade been addressed prior to (or even during) the 2017 season...the Seahawks season wouldn't be over just yet.

If they don't address the O line in a big way, it won't matter who they trot out there to carry the ball. 

I had no idea what their cap situation was like, so thanks for that. I knew they had tied up a lot in Wilson and a few of the defensive stalwarts.

That said, the most pressing areas of improvement needed this off-season are (imo):

1) O-line

2) O-line

3) Offensive play calling / coaching.

4) Defensive unit performance on 3rd down

5) Kicking game

I know there's more to it than that...but if all those items hade been addressed prior to (or even during) the 2017 season...the Seahawks season wouldn't be over just yet.
AGREED Oline, Oline, Oline......... And Kicker cost them what 4 games this year ???

How can you even assess the other positions when playing that group they have. No blockers for run game, only pass game is scramble plays due to no time for receivers to run any kind of a route, D is always on the field and never gets a break.

Reminds me of years ago when most the fans were screaming for D improvements thru the draft (TR ?), when in actual fact the D at the time was amongst the top 3/5 in the league in Yds given up per drive and points given up per drive. Hawks drafted Curry and the rest is history. If you don't have a good enough Oline to move the chains it is impossible to know the value of everything else on the field.

Not a fan of Bevell but a bit unsure due Oline issues

Users who are viewing this thread