What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2017 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

JS should prolly use 1st pick on a Kicker. Most if not all his 1st picks haven't really worked out as any kind of value

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't get the thinking about releasing or trading Bennett. Here are Seattle's options with him:

1. Release/trade him this offseason and eat $5.2M in dead cap money, whether all in 2018 or split across 2018 and 2019. So $5.2M for nothing.
  2. Keep him in 2018, then release/trade him in next offseason. Total cost is $8.4M for 2018 + $3.5M in dead cap money when he is released/traded = $11.9M for one more season of play.
  3. Keep him in 2018 and 2019, then release/trade him in the next offseason. Total cost is $8.4M for 2018 + $8.7M for 2019 + $1.7M in dead cap money when he is released/traded = $18.8M for two more seasons of play, an average of $9.4M per season.
  4. Keep him through the end of his contract in 2020. Total cost is $8.4M for 2018 + $8.7M for 2019 + $10.2M in 2020 = $27.3M for three more seasons of play, an average of $9.1M per season.
Seems like the sweet spot is #3 as long as he is playing well enough to be worth his salary. He played well enough in 2017 to be worth his 2018 salary IMO. Combine that with the expected loss of Avril and possible losses of Jordan and Richardson, and he becomes more compelling to keep.

I was just posting with him because I found the statements about cap hits and dead money to be misleading. Feel he is a good player despite not liking him due his off-field and protesting crap

The remodel begins. Bevell gone. I think the hate for him reached a point where it was a little overblown but a change was probably overdue.

why didn't you just run Marshawn

Odds Carroll jumps? 

.... strange things happening. Love Pete as a coach, but he does have a history or abandoning ship.

Hope that's not the case, but if it is ... you guys still have Russ - a new OC is going to do him well. 

Not Cable's fault.   
He may not be fully responsible, but as OL coach, he was certainly accountable for OL performance, which has been terrible for years.

There is room to criticize the GM for not giving him better players, but the Seahawks drafted 8 OL in the past 4 drafts, including 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and 2 4th round picks. And they traded for Brown and signed Joeckel. What did Cable accomplish with all that?

He may not be fully responsible, but as OL coach, he was certainly accountable for OL performance, which has been terrible for years.

There is room to criticize the GM for not giving him better players, but the Seahawks drafted 8 OL in the past 4 drafts, including 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and 2 4th round picks. And they traded for Brown and signed Joeckel. What did Cable accomplish with all that?
When you make a case that Cable is responsible for those draft picks I'll allow the point.  Until that time I'll assume the GM and head office bears that responsibility.  

The decision to spend big dollars on a few good-great defensive players directly impacted the ability to spend on other positions.  For whatever reason Seattle chose to skrimp on the O-line.  Last year I remember seeing a graphic in one of the late season broadcasts that revealed the starting 5 lineman combined were on the books for 6.5 - 7 million, which was the lowest salaried starting 5 in the entire league.  The next cheapest O-line I believe was Minnesota (?) with a combined salary of between 13-14 million. Sometimes you get what you pay for. 

So knowing that we are talking about the lowest earning starting 5 (by far), expectations should have been tempered, but they weren't. If you had watched many of Pete's mid week pressers over the last couple seasons, he sometimes acknowledged the O-line as needing work but more often would emphasize how excited he was to see them grow as the season progressed.  Now if Cable had indicated to the HC that he'd be able to make O-line work with the talent they had in place...and then didn't...that's on him.

Tom Cable is highly respected as a good O-line coach, but I think his firing maybe had more to do with the lack of improvement in O-line play the last 2 years.

When you make a case that Cable is responsible for those draft picks I'll allow the point.  Until that time I'll assume the GM and head office bears that responsibility.  
From Analysis: Job one for the Seahawks as they move on from Tom Cable? Draft better on the offensive line:

...while teams will rarely if ever draft a player a position coach doesn’t want, Cable was thought to have more sway than most position coaches in telling the team who he did want.

Cable, in fact, was the only position coach the team would make available for interviews during the draft, seemingly symbolic of his influence in the team’s offensive line picks...

Seattle drafted 16 from 2010-17, the most of any team in the league, and 15 during Cable’s seven years, at least two in every draft from 13-17.

Put another way, five of the 16 picks Seattle has made in the first four rounds the last three seasons were offensive linemen.

But as the 2017 season ended only two of those five were playing — guard Ethan Pocic and tackle Germain Ifedi — with one injured (Rees Odhiambo) and two already washed out (Mark Glowinski, Terry Poole).

Whether it was identification or development — or more likely, some combination of both — the Seahawks simply didn’t get enough out of their offensive line drafts during Cable’s tenure.

The only two Pro Bowl offensive linemen during Cable’s tenure were Unger and Okung, who were already part of the team when Cable arrived in 2011.

Of the 15 linemen drafted during Cable’s tenure, only Justin Britt has sniffed a Pro Bowl berth, earning alternate status last year.
:popcorn:  

Last edited by a moderator:
No 2018 thread? 

Big test this weekend and pretty rough schedule ahead. 

Great how the team has rallied (albeit against a bunch of scrubs). OLine looks legit, Russ is Russ, Secondary is decent, and a sweet punter :lol:

Really glad that Pete has his thing going on right now. Love that guy. 

No 2018 thread? 

Big test this weekend and pretty rough schedule ahead. 

Great how the team has rallied (albeit against a bunch of scrubs). OLine looks legit, Russ is Russ, Secondary is decent, and a sweet punter :lol:

Really glad that Pete has his thing going on right now. Love that guy. 
I really hope if the Hawks continue to play this well, and they will, that Pete finally wins Coach Of The Year.  Our 2018 draft was lights out, rebuilt the team in one season, there's still a little more work to be done but I'm so impressed and pleased he's our coach.

Go Hawks!

I think I figured out they were pretty good after the first loss to the Rams. Looking back, those two road losses to the Bears and Broncos don’t look bad at all now. 

They win next week, and playoffs are a lock. 

Users who are viewing this thread