What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again... and not sure why we keep having to rehash this.... hindsight is easy.  I agree there was tons of injury risk... but no, it wasn't some 'given' that he was going to miss all of season 1 and over half of season 2.  If he was out of the league now you'd say "it was obvious he would never play in the league".  It's an easy position to take and argue after the fact.  Don't be that guy.

Simmons injury still sucked at the time.  Again, this isn't about how it turned out.  Every injury in the league could be said to "not set the franchise back as they got a better draft pick next year".  At the time, that's not the case.

No.  And that's not the point anyways.  The point is, the injuries to the sixers' first rounders in the last 5 years have been more frequent than any other team maybe in nba history. 

Spin it all you want, but in the last 4 years, the Sixers have had 5 lottery picks.   ALL FIVE of them have missed at least 35% of their first season.  And now our 6th top 16 pick in a row may miss significant time.  Yes, I think that is unlucky.
Since when is drafting players with full knowledge of huge medical red flags "unlucky"?

Probably?
Jeez even when I admit we screwed up its not good enough for you :lol:

But yes, if you would like different wording, as of right now it looks majorly, undoubtably, totally, fully, undeniably, completely like we lost that trade. 

Deamon said:
Ben, Okafor, Fultz, Zhaire.  None had huge medical red flags.
As I pointed out earlier, Okafor missed a fairly typical amount of time for a 19 year old who finds himself in an NBA rotation (from my own favorite team, Wall missed 13 games his rookie year and Beal missed 26). 

We have no idea how much time Simmons and Fultz missed due to injuries vs the team simply choosing to be conservative as a matter of strategy.  And we also have no idea how much time Zhaire will miss, if any, and he was unlikely to crack the rotation of a playoff team anyway.

Even the rights to Ricky Sanchez peeps would be done with this already.  Somewhere Jonah Bolden is searching for a protective bubble.

Also, while I would let argue about the merits of any particular issue, philosophically, there is nothing too petty or minute for RTRS to get beyond.

Everyone needs to be nice to the Philly fans in here. The 76ers are all they got,  not even anything good to root for in the college ranks. They need some good luck. 

They also have Rocky.
you mother ####ers forget easily don't you? You realize most of you wouldn't even have your America if it wasn't for Philadelphia. Kyle covers it better than I care to, but sheesh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H68_5KbWsxU&t=213s

You can start around 2:30. 

ETA: apologies to Frosty if this triggered any PTSD symptoms

Last edited by a moderator:
As I pointed out earlier, Okafor missed a fairly typical amount of time for a 19 year old who finds himself in an NBA rotation (from my own favorite team, Wall missed 13 games his rookie year and Beal missed 26)

We have no idea how much time Simmons and Fultz missed due to injuries vs the team simply choosing to be conservative as a matter of strategy.  And we also have no idea how much time Zhaire will miss, if any, and he was unlikely to crack the rotation of a playoff team anyway.
Ahhh... it all makes sense now.

Funny, I’m almost certainly going to be on the Suns under. 
alright, Suns are set at 28 wins. Was sexy enough for me to take the over on it already, but if you are feeling under 28 i would be up for a thread bet too

Clobbered Memphis o33 wins too. that seemed to be way low if they can stay healthy this year

modogg said:
alright, Suns are set at 28 wins. Was sexy enough for me to take the over on it already, but if you are feeling under 28 i would be up for a thread bet too

Clobbered Memphis o33 wins too. that seemed to be way low if they can stay healthy this year
I like the under, but that number is low enough that I’m not rushing out to bet it. 

Gary Payton won the 'Best Trash Talker' award in the BIG3.  The fact The Glove is a head coach makes it even better.

Which current NBA players (or coach?) could compete with Payton?

I am deeply distressed to report that Stephen Curry was entirely likable on the Bill Simmons podcast.
The contrast between Curry and KD is super obvious. I'd love to talk with Curry, while KD is someone I'd want to punch on the face.

Anyone listen to the latest Reddick podcast?

1) I'm convinced Mo Bamba will be a star. Sounds mature and willing to work.

2) WTF?! Was the opening story? You'd think a 6'4" professional athlete would be more assertive, but maybe he was fearful for his safety?

Here are some rule changes expected this year including a change to the shot clock (resets to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24454530/nba-expected-pass-rule-changes-including-changing-shot-clock-14-seconds-offensive-rebound
We've been playing with these for a while, they are excellent additions.

Others we have: (1)all but two TO's are use it or lose it before the final two minutes. (2)  If you advance the ball after a TO you get 14 on the shot clock.

And we really should try a fantasy league again this year. There's a lot of good folks in this thread. I'll happily spearhead it if need be.

Probably the worst time to bring this up is in late August. I'll try again later if there's any hint of interest.
I mentioned this a bit ago and I would definitely be in. I figured now was a decent time to bring it up because if you're following things now it's likely that you'd stay engaged throughout the long season, but agree we should try again in early October. I nominate you to be in charge. 

And we really should try a fantasy league again this year. There's a lot of good folks in this thread. I'll happily spearhead it if need be.

Probably the worst time to bring this up is in late August. I'll try again later if there's any hint of interest.
@Pick runs one already.  14 teams.  Might be room for one as one team was non-active right out tha gate.

It'd be cool to have one with posters from this thread but if there's room I'd love to do both. Fantasy basketball has actually become my favorite magic sport (never tried hockey or golf or NASCAR, though).
I agree with this.  A league for the consistent posters in the NBA thread only.  Even Djax.  Last place goes to reddit/roastme for abuse.

Never played NBA and have been out of FFL and all fantasy for almost 10 years (after playing since late 80s with newspaper stats), but I'd be in for sure.

It'd be cool to have one with posters from this thread but if there's room I'd love to do both. Fantasy basketball has actually become my favorite magic sport (never tried hockey or golf or NASCAR, though).
i'd be in if I can get either Embiid or Simmons. Hard to talk smack if I don't have either of those guys. And I would draft 0 Celtics, so there is my draft strategy

If we do get a league going, we have to make absolutely certain we don't pollute this thread any worse than it already gets at times with league fantasy talk.

flranger said:
If we do get a league going, we have to make absolutely certain we don't pollute this thread any worse than it already gets at times with league fantasy talk.
Honestly I would prefer all fantasy talk in this thread.

Gary Payton won the 'Best Trash Talker' award in the BIG3.  The fact The Glove is a head coach makes it even better.

Which current NBA players (or coach?) could compete with Payton?
I have been watching some WNBA here and there this year due to a combination of heightened NBA twitter interest and the local team being good, and one thing I've learned is that if you include the WNBA here Diana Taurasi is definitely up there with the all-time trash talk greats.

i'm down for a league

as far as littering the thread with league talk, wtf is it with all you anal-retentives and your thread purity?! basketball fans get on about whatever the hell they want to in this thread. dont like it, dont play

My heart says I want to join a fantasy league, but my brain says I won't have the time.  Besides, I'll have enough enjoyment watching the C's make it to the Finals this season.

Man, I wonder if we'll even have a B2TF draft this year?? :(  
Seems like WIS or whatever that was fizzled out on us. And to be honest, the funnest part of the whole thing is the draft anyway. From there its just a Bataan death march to the end of the season to track (and ultimately, purposefully ignore) what a miserable team I put together. Giannis no longer speaks to me after foisting that atrocity of a roster on him last season. Lonzo Ball, Tristan Thompson, right on down the line to Caleb Swaningen, there are no excuses. I'm a lousy GM.

They just reintegrated or relaunched or resomethinged their site, so maybe something might actually happen. Hoping we’ll be signing up for last season while we draft for this season.
There was no last season. We've firmly established that.

Man I am getting old.  Andre Emmett feels like he was just at Texas tech a couple years ago.  He was drafted by the ####### supersonics.

and Why do they even have coaches in the big 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread