What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (4 Viewers)

I think Iggy or Korver end up here, sure.  Still going to have an issue with that backcourt creating
why would either join? more likely to join the SIxers or Clippers. figure both want a chance at a championship, not a chance to run themselves down playing on that team

woj just mentioned the heat as a potential Westbrook destination on the sixers-celtics broadcast.  that makes a lot of sense.  bunch of crappy salary to aggregate easily, but still would be way better than Westbrook for OKC, riley will want to get a "superstar" at all costs.  butler and westbrook personalities together would be ... interesting.

Cousins making less annually than Javale McGee. Less than Frank Kaminsky. 

What a fall.

He turned down 2/40 offer from the Pellies just over a year ago. (Instead he'll have made under $9 mil the last 2 years between GS and LA)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy the Thunder are at least trying to get better.  The Thunder are the worst case scenario for any team.  Team is good enough to get to the playoffs but not make deep runs or compete for a championship anymore.   So they always get ####ty draft picks and are straddled with high salaries.    

Cousins making less annually than Javale McGee. Less than Frank Kaminsky. 

What a fall.

He turned down 2/40 offer from the Pellies just over a year ago. (Instead he'll have made under $9 mil the last 2 years between GS and LA)
Lucky for him, there's a vet minimum to eventually stop the fall.   

I think we all should be semi Clipper fans this year and hope they win if our own teams we root for can't make the playoffs or get to the finals and LAC does. We all owe it to Klaw for not going to the Lakers and give Lebron what he wanted. I think most of us always knew Leonard was going to the Clippers. Sucks for Toronto thought. As for the Paul George it says a lot about Russel Westbrook when George is wanting to leave Russ. Says a lot when everyone wants to leave him and when ever you hear about top FA's destinations no one is ever saying how X wants to play with Russ. I think maybe more people will be more forgiving to KD leaving OKC now possible? I've said for awhile Russ is talented but to me he's this generations Allen Iverson. Great talent but he doesn't play well with others and if you want to win an NBA he's not a guy you want on your team. I was hoping Leonard would stay in the East but I'm glad if it wasn't Toronto it was the Clippers. All the #### they've been through over the past 5-7 yrs from the racist owner to the end of Lob City and all the babies complaining to the rebuilding. 

Didn't think Boogie would go to that cluster#### of a group with the Lakers a long with Rondo going back. The NBA this coming season is wide open which is great for competitive balance. This was much needed for the NBA 

I am happy the Thunder are at least trying to get better.  The Thunder are the worst case scenario for any team.  Team is good enough to get to the playoffs but not make deep runs or compete for a championship anymore.   So they always get ####ty draft picks and are straddled with high salaries.    
I honestly would've traded Westbrook to keep KD to be honest. Give KD whatever the hell he wanted. I think now you trade Russ for what you can. However who's taking a 31 YRS PG. 

woj just mentioned the heat as a potential Westbrook destination on the sixers-celtics broadcast.  that makes a lot of sense.  bunch of crappy salary to aggregate easily, but still would be way better than Westbrook for OKC, riley will want to get a "superstar" at all costs.  butler and westbrook personalities together would be ... interesting.
thats gonna blow up rather quickly and it will be GLORIOUS To watch. 

Right?  Yet ppl blast Hinkie's strategy. 
If anything OKC just sped up the process. If the sixers had anyone as good as PG or Russ but couldn't get past the first round, I'd blow that up too and get a the picks I could.

Hinkie was a magician doing what he did and lesser men have tried to ruin it.

I think we all should be semi Clipper fans this year and hope they win if our own teams we root for can't make the playoffs or get to the finals and LAC does. We all owe it to Klaw for not going to the Lakers and give Lebron what he wanted. I think most of us always knew Leonard was going to the Clippers. Sucks for Toronto thought. As for the Paul George it says a lot about Russel Westbrook when George is wanting to leave Russ. Says a lot when everyone wants to leave him and when ever you hear about top FA's destinations no one is ever saying how X wants to play with Russ. I think maybe more people will be more forgiving to KD leaving OKC now possible? I've said for awhile Russ is talented but to me he's this generations Allen Iverson. Great talent but he doesn't play well with others and if you want to win an NBA he's not a guy you want on your team. I was hoping Leonard would stay in the East but I'm glad if it wasn't Toronto it was the Clippers. All the #### they've been through over the past 5-7 yrs from the racist owner to the end of Lob City and all the babies complaining to the rebuilding. 
You either get on or get off this wagon!!!  :rant:

No semis allowed unless you get one while watching LAC hold teams to under 95 points.

This would be pretty interesting.  Riley never wants to rebuild

I was a bit surprised by Lowe’s view of Westbrook’s market, or total lack thereof; I think he said the Wolves wouldn’t even trade Wiggins for him, which almost made me fall out of my chair. 

Right?  Yet ppl blast Hinkie's strategy. 
People blasted it because of how blatant it was and Hinkie was apparently disrespecting the other owners. It wasn't good in general when the NB has one of THEIR BIG MARKET TEAMS INTENTIONALLY TANKING. It doesn't make the league look good at all. I blasted it more so because I knew Sixers fans who #####ed when The Penguins tanked for Crosby/Malkinin and other teams did it but when it came time for the Sixers there was a bunch of "excuses" why they were ok with it. When I asked what made the Sixers tanking ok but others I got some typical copout comments for it. 

If anything OKC just sped up the process. If the sixers had anyone as good as PG or Russ but couldn't get past the first round, I'd blow that up too and get a the picks I could.

Hinkie was a magician doing what he did and lesser men have tried to ruin it.
The Sixers had a guy awhile ago named AI they could've really built well then but choose trying to keep butts in the seats over a proper rebuild. When the Butts in seats got less and AI wasn't as good the Sixers got a less then stellar value for the guy then they should've. I'm not saying this is the sole reasons the Sixers sucked that much at it but at one time maybe had the Sixers choose a proper rebuild then pleasing some fans by Keeping AI past his expiration date maybe the Sixers right now look even more different. The Sixers had a Russ at one time in AI. OKC would be wise to try and rid of him now or by the trade deadline rather then a wait and see approach and keep fans in the seats that the Sixers did years ago. I know I'm talking about 2 different Sixers FO's and ownerships however the prior regime to the current is reason why they were stuck in that position to begin with. 

These men are true heroes. The NBA prospects aren't the end all be all that people think when impacting teams. Studies have shown tanking doesn't work that well and isn't about a sole pick. Teams are just hoping and praying they have a chance at the next Jordan/James/Giannis/etc etc. These guys come very rarely. A lot of these guys they hype up never live up anywhere those expectations. You also need the proper GM and Owner. If your owner and GM suck tanking isn't gonna do you any good at all. For Example Knicks tanking they may get some players but thats not gonna get them anywhere. LAC tanked for yrs didn't get anywhere do to a poor GM and owner and coaching. You need to make the proper FA signings and trades. Who you get rid of as well. They all play a part. Hey if you are lucky to get that ONE PLAYER that comes out every so often then good for you. That was luck. If the only way you are successful is intentionally losing and picking up players thats not a good GM at all. 

I was a bit surprised by Lowe’s view of Westbrook’s market, or total lack thereof; I think he said the Wolves wouldn’t even trade Wiggins for him, which almost made me fall out of my chair. 
I think people for yrs have Overrated Russ and I think people took a lot out on KD without knowing what he went through with Russ. Like I said in my first post on the whole Kawhi thing with Paul George wanting out does this cut KD some more slack? I've been saying for a very long time KD didn't get a title in OKC because Russ wanted to try to play hero ball. Russ is this generation AI (Off the court Russ is a way better person) of he's a great talent but you want to win a title you say no to Russ. He just doesn't seem to play well with other star players. Those Triple Doubles look great but todays PG is much bigger the the Bigs are much smaller. It's not very rare anymore to see a G getting a Triple Double. I think fans severely overrate Russel Westbrook honestly. Someone put together this trade Idea for CHI and despite it being light I'd still say hell no. Russ isn't a guy you want when you want to win a title. I'm calling it now but when and if Russel Westbrook is traded I think many fans and "experts" will be surprised with how little value OKC gets back for him. He's already 30 on a loaded contract as is too. 

Bulls receives: Russell Westbrook
OKC receives: Otto Porter Jr., Coby White, 2021 unprotected 1st round pick.

Dude, he's a 30 year-old, ball-hogging, hyper-aggressive player who can't shoot with guaranteed paydays of $38.5, 41, 44, and 47MM to come. I mean, almost every SuperMax contract will be a negative asset by the end (including my boy Steph), but he's one now. Just like CP3, Wall, soon to be Blake, et al., you just can't compete with an unproductive salary like that taking up a third of your payroll.

OKC was mediocre with no way to get better and was staring at the repeater tax. This will end up being a good day for them if they can somehow bamboozle their way out the Westbrook contract, no matter what they might say publicly.

Nobody wants to play with him and he won an MVP on smoke, mirrors, and ego. Good luck winning anything with that.
There are very few who have hated on Westbrook more than me over the years. But dumb teams have rolled the dice on lesser talents than him at absurd salaries in the past; I’m only surprised that there isn’t one or three of those out there.  

And the moment a team called and offered me anything for Wiggins, I’d take it. At least Westbrook sells some tickets. 

Dude, he's a 30 year-old, ball-hogging, hyper-aggressive player who can't shoot with guaranteed paydays of $38.5, 41, 44, and 47MM to come. I mean, almost every SuperMax contract will be a negative asset by the end (including my boy Steph), but he's one now. Just like CP3, Wall, soon to be Blake, et al., you just can't compete with an unproductive salary like that taking up a third of your payroll.

OKC was mediocre with no way to get better and was staring at the repeater tax. This will end up being a good day for them if they can somehow bamboozle their way out the Westbrook contract, no matter what they might say publicly.

Nobody wants to play with him and he won an MVP on smoke, mirrors, and ego. Good luck winning anything with that.
Glad I'm not alone in this assessment including his MVP year. 

The Sixers had a guy awhile ago named AI they could've really built well then but choose trying to keep butts in the seats over a proper rebuild. When the Butts in seats got less and AI wasn't as good the Sixers got a less then stellar value for the guy then they should've. I'm not saying this is the sole reasons the Sixers sucked that much at it but at one time maybe had the Sixers choose a proper rebuild then pleasing some fans by Keeping AI past his expiration date maybe the Sixers right now look even more different. The Sixers had a Russ at one time in AI. OKC would be wise to try and rid of him now or by the trade deadline rather then a wait and see approach and keep fans in the seats that the Sixers did years ago. I know I'm talking about 2 different Sixers FO's and ownerships however the prior regime to the current is reason why they were stuck in that position to begin with. 

These men are true heroes. The NBA prospects aren't the end all be all that people think when impacting teams. Studies have shown tanking doesn't work that well and isn't about a sole pick. Teams are just hoping and praying they have a chance at the next Jordan/James/Giannis/etc etc. These guys come very rarely. A lot of these guys they hype up never live up anywhere those expectations. You also need the proper GM and Owner. If your owner and GM suck tanking isn't gonna do you any good at all. For Example Knicks tanking they may get some players but thats not gonna get them anywhere. LAC tanked for yrs didn't get anywhere do to a poor GM and owner and coaching. You need to make the proper FA signings and trades. Who you get rid of as well. They all play a part. Hey if you are lucky to get that ONE PLAYER that comes out every so often then good for you. That was luck. If the only way you are successful is intentionally losing and picking up players thats not a good GM at all. 
Many had said to trade Allen as early as 2003 because the writing was on the wall. But the old front offices wanted to build around him because he was the most popular player in the city and damn near the league. Like you said that, those decisions are why Hinkie had to come in and do what he did.

Hinkie wasn't demeaning to other owners. He had a plan and the sixers ownership backing him. He was executing that plan come hell or high water. It wasn't till the owners stabbed him in the back at the behest of Silver that he finally had to step down.

As for why other GMs don't get rid of stars early, it's because they don't want to be the guy that gave away a star who still had top tier years left. That's a death sentence job wise. Takes a real sharp evaluator and stones of steel to pull the trigger on getting rid of a stud close to their prime.

Or you can just be Jordan and let them walk for nothing.

There are very few who have hated on Westbrook more than me over the years. But dumb teams have rolled the dice on lesser talents than him at absurd salaries in the past; I’m only surprised that there isn’t one or three of those out there.  

And the moment a team called and offered me anything for Wiggins, I’d take it. At least Westbrook sells some tickets. 
I'd rather take the cheaper Wiggins contract then have a bloated 30 yrs old who can barely shoot with a huge ego. 

I do find it rather funny how Wiggins was billed as THE NEXT LEBRON and has never come close. Proud to say I was not one of the many who was bamboozled by his hype. I think Cleveland despite where they are now are quite happy with that Wiggins trade though. 

Did this get mentioned today? Yikes. 
Don't think this happens if Doc didn't agree to it or PG and Doc didn't have words before to talk over differences. Plus if possible you want the best relationship possible for your grandkids with your son/daughter's ex. He's still their father and as long as he wants to be part of their lives and a healthy environment you got to make do and if your child reconciles to at least be friendly with one another you got to accept it. My best friend who I mentioned yesterday who lived in Oceanside with her now ex had an issue with her ex when she was dating her now fiancee. Her ex wanted no part of their sons life until when it was only convenient for him. Her dad also almost kicked the dudes ### a few times as he became a lazy deadbeat after he got out of the Marines and had no job. However in the last 3 yrs they've reconciled to a relationship for the son they had together. She just had a baby last year with her fiancee so it works out well when they want to have time with their 1 yrs old and the ex gets time with his son. Weekend trips together, or if the baby can't be out the ex can take the son to his sporting events and other stuff if needed. 

I would go for that.  Westbrook and KAT together would be pretty interesting.  I think I like Russ more than most though and also it's not my money.

I agree that it has been a low key good offseason for them.

keldon Johnson 

samanic

carroll

morris

bring back gay
Sell me on the Spurs. They look to be a solid veteran team that will play defense. They aren't a pushover, but how good are they in the West?

In no order, you have the Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers and Jazz. Unless I'm missing a team (like the Spurs), this is 7 of 8 probably playoff teams. SA won 48 games last year and Sacramento 39.

In the West, the only teams truly rebuilding are Memphis, OKC (probably), Phoenix and Minnesota (who knows what they are doing). New Orleans is rebuilding but do look decent on paper to me. Sacramento appears to be on the way up and I think Dallas has a chance to be a solid team as well.

I think some are expecting Houston to begin declining, but what a fun conference.

57 wins was top in the West last year. It could be 52 or 53 this year!  

I'd rather take the cheaper Wiggins contract then have a bloated 30 yrs old who can barely shoot with a huge ego. 

I do find it rather funny how Wiggins was billed as THE NEXT LEBRON and has never come close. Proud to say I was not one of the many who was bamboozled by his hype. I think Cleveland despite where they are now are quite happy with that Wiggins trade though. 
That is the consensus from everything I have read today. The contract, age and declining advanced metrics are scaring people off of Westbrook.

What is the realistic asking price for him? Teams have to trade $30M in salary so it a bunch of expiring deals to give OKC flexibility in the near future + more draft picks or would they also want young NBA talent? 

Literally nobody called Wiggins the next Lebron. 

Users who are viewing this thread