What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (6 Viewers)

Embiid looks in pain.  Playing him that whole 2nd half might hurt.
He honestly looked to favor the good leg. That isn't good. Reminded me when Thibs was playing Rose on one good knee and he aggravated the knee. I honestly would've sat Joel for the first game. Also he didn't look confident on the knee enough to shoot a few jumpers that he would take. Hesitant and the  jumpers he took look very awkward. 

I'm not trying to piling on in this post but I think if the 76ers aren't careful here they are in a load of trouble regard Joel's health. If he plays anywhere close like he did today favoring the knee Doc has to PULL HIM FIRST CHANCE HE gets and says you are done for the night. Sometimes you got to protect these guys from themselves. 

DJackson10 said:
Didn't realize that either. I always saw this down in the last 2 mins when the game clock stops and they roll the ball up the court to delay the clock from starting. 
Me neither.

I thought the game clock didn't start till the ball was touched.

One of the announcers even wondered why Trae was doing it with his team well ahead in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me neither.

One of the announcers even wondered why Trae was doing it with his team well ahead in the game.
And what makes the move even better is if the defender comes to him he has the speed to blow past most guys and he may be one of the most dangerous players in the league once he gets you out of position or off balance.  He’s drawn several fouls on 3-pointers.  His body control reminds me of Steph.  

That non-backcourt violation on Kawhi is such a stupid rule. Why in the last 2 minutes are you allowed to go backcourt if your momentum takes you? So dumb

Was that the explanation on that play? I thought it was an obvious BC violation
It was the correct call. The rule is stupid. Apparently you are allowed to go backcourt if your momentum takes you there. But just in the last 2 minutes. I have no idea why there are different rules for the last 2 minutes though. It didn't really matter, for LAC were going to win anyway, but dumb nonetheless

Well it was a fun run. My big takeaway is that if KP can't protect the rim, we need someone who can.
He's reportedly unhappy with role. Mavs better pray someone will want to acquire him. 

He's peaked. And where it's most notable, as you noted, is defensively. Used to be very good defensive presence. 

With the money he's set to make in the coming years and knee issues, I can't imagine a team would want to build around him anymore. Let alone have him be a overpaid complimentary player that's often looked like JAG out there recently.

He's reportedly unhappy with role. Mavs better pray someone will want to acquire him. 

He's peaked. And where it's most notable, as you noted, is defensively. Used to be very good defensive presence. 

With the money he's set to make in the coming years and knee issues, I can't imagine a team would want to build around him anymore. Let alone have him be a overpaid complimentary player that's often looked like JAG out there recently.
He’s only 25. I was shocked to find that out. 

I disagree because he is a freak of nature. I think his injuries this year were caused by a short off-season and playing a more condensed schedule. He is going to have a longer off-season this year and more motivation. Father time will eventually catch up to James, but I don't think it will be next year. 
I see this a lot and am never really sure what it means. They got a 4 month vacation from Mar 11th to mid July....came back and played in a bubble with no travel until Oct 11th. The next season started Dec 22 So like a little over two and half months off or something between games. Yeah there was some practice or preseason but still.

I'm just a regular guy, not an elite athlete in top physical shape. I think two and half months to "rest" is plenty.  I'd love to have two and half months to "rest".  How much time do you really need to "recover/rest if you are an elite athlete? Is two and half months not enough? You also have access to top of the line rehabbing and massages or whatever you need. You can't get that done in two and a half months and be ready to go?

Ask a guy digging ditches how much time off he needs to rest and be back ready to go.   I just think it's comical sometimes how soft these guys must be if 10 weeks between games is "not enough time off". And the people that actually buy into that line of thinking when James "complains" about the off season being too short?  You are an elite athlete who basically gets paid millions to work out, stay in shape, and play a game.  C'mon man. 

I see this a lot and am never really sure what it means. They got a 4 month vacation from Mar 11th to mid July....came back and played in a bubble with no travel until Oct 11th. The next season started Dec 22 So like a little over two and half months off or something between games. Yeah there was some practice or preseason but still.

I'm just a regular guy, not an elite athlete in top physical shape. I think two and half months to "rest" is plenty.  I'd love to have two and half months to "rest".  How much time do you really need to "recover/rest if you are an elite athlete? Is two and half months not enough? You also have access to top of the line rehabbing and massages or whatever you need. You can't get that done in two and a half months and be ready to go?

Ask a guy digging ditches how much time off he needs to rest and be back ready to go.   I just think it's comical sometimes how soft these guys must be if 10 weeks between games is "not enough time off". And the people that actually buy into that line of thinking when James "complains" about the off season being too short?  You are an elite athlete who basically gets paid millions to work out, stay in shape, and play a game.  C'mon man. 
Aren't you the guy that started the Lebron leaving early thread? Just checked you are. Good day. 

Me neither.

Yea, I am confused?  I thought the game clock didn't start until the ball was touched?  We are saying that the game clock runs, but the shot clock does not start until the ball is touched when it is not under 2min?

Aren't you the guy that started the Lebron leaving early thread? Just checked you are. Good day. 
yeah the take that millions agree with.....Lakers played two weeks longer a total of two more game in the playoffs than the Nuggets did.....they had plenty of time to rest and go to Cabo....they should have been ok....let's not make even more excuses for them....

Yea, I am confused?  I thought the game clock didn't start until the ball was touched?  We are saying that the game clock runs, but the shot clock does not start until the ball is touched when it is not under 2min?
Only on a dead ball. Running clock on made basket. 

Exactly to the bolded. Been that way as long as I can remember. 

Only on a dead ball. Running clock on made basket. 

Exactly to the bolded. Been that way as long as I can remember. 
Well, not exactly. The clock runs after made baskets until there is 1 minute to go in the first three quarters. It runs after made baskets in the fourth quarter until there's 2 minutes left. The shot clock always starts when the ball is legally touched inbounds, whether it be a jump ball or inbounds pass. So the game clock stops on made baskets sometimes. :)

So if you are milking a lead, what Trae was doing is smart until 1 minute left in the first three quarters or 2 minutes left in the game. Less possession time for the team trying to catch up.

The reason you see teams trailing do this is because you save clock to have more possessions doing this when there's a minute left in quarters or 2 minutes left in the game. Then milking the clock gives the trailing team more possession time. 

So you'll see teams winning and losing milk the clock by rolling the ball before touching at different times.

Hope this clears things up for everyone. :)

thecatch said:
They have all their first rounders except for this year. They can get creative; maybe CJ and a few picks for the next mega star that asks out or something. What are you going to get for Dame?  A first every other year and a couple of pick swaps from a good team?  It’s unlikely one of those deals turns into a valuable haul like the Celtics got from the Nets. Maybe a good young player (like a Ben Simmons or something) and a couple not great assets that will be enough to keep them mediocre going forward?  Dame is a top 10 player; I’d keep him and do everything possible to surround him with talent until he demands out. Worst case scenario you have a pretty good team to cheer for for the foreseeable future. 
That's what it's always been since I moved here in '96.   That gets stale.  That is stale.  

jhib said:
Simmons made a good aggressive play against two defenders to draw the foul.
Yep lol.  That's the standard in here.  Mention something he does well and you won't get a response.  Mention something he does bad and it's like-city

DJackson10 said:
He honestly looked to favor the good leg. That isn't good. Reminded me when Thibs was playing Rose on one good knee and he aggravated the knee. I honestly would've sat Joel for the first game. Also he didn't look confident on the knee enough to shoot a few jumpers that he would take. Hesitant and the  jumpers he took look very awkward. 

I'm not trying to piling on in this post but I think if the 76ers aren't careful here they are in a load of trouble regard Joel's health. If he plays anywhere close like he did today favoring the knee Doc has to PULL HIM FIRST CHANCE HE gets and says you are done for the night. Sometimes you got to protect these guys from themselves. 
🤣

Khris Middleton looks like he has money on the Nets in the series. What the heck is wrong with that guy?

Like LeBron at the end of his first Cavs stint...Giannis needs to work on his post game all offseason.  Playoff defenses can take away parts of his driving game and get away with playing smaller defenders against him now.  He needs to get down there and make defenses pay.  It will also keep him out of situations where he's susceptible to offensive fouls and injury.

Also, coach Bud needs to show something against the Nets or he'll be gone.  The Bucks looks lost out there right now.  On offense Giannis has the ball up top way too much and the ball movement just isn't good enough.  On defense the team worked on switching all season long (costing them many regular games as they improved) but where's it been against Brooklyn?

Like LeBron at the end of his first Cavs stint...Giannis needs to work on his post game all offseason.  Playoff defenses can take away parts of his driving game and get away with playing smaller defenders against him now.  He needs to get down there and make defenses pay.  It will also keep him out of situations where he's susceptible to offensive fouls and injury.

Also, coach Bud needs to show something against the Nets or he'll be gone.  The Bucks looks lost out there right now.  On offense Giannis has the ball up top way too much and the ball movement just isn't good enough.  On defense the team worked on switching all season long (costing them many regular games as they improved) but where's it been against Brooklyn?
he has to  work on his post game, shooting and free throws. and coming up with something other than catching the ball outside the three point line & trying to dribble drive through or around dudes every time he touches the ball.

This

After PHI made baskets, Young would let the ball roll up the court, delaying the start of the shot clock while the game clock was running.  It allowed them to use over 40 seconds in a possession in one instance.
So the 10 second count doesn’t start until you touch it either, but the 5 seconds to inbounds is good because it left the inbounder’s hands?

You should just be able to sell points for time and get to the last two minutes quicker.

Just shows you how awful the current NBA product is.  The Nets are missing Harden, a recent MVP and a guy most consider at worst a top 5-7 player in the league, and it doesn't even matter.  

I think there's plenty of possibility he can get some of it back. Like major knee surgery right at the start of this season, unexpectedly, never really time to recover...I'm hoping a full offseason and back to peak form and suddenly Dallas is a force to truly be reckoned with. That said...five games later he'll be hurt and the dream will end. I actually really liked his activity in the gaps on D and as a cutter.

We really just needed one more guy to step up in game 7 and hit some shots. Like Marcus Morris, Reggie Jackson, Luke Kennard, and Terrance Mann all randomly had big time games. Dorian was the only guy flanking Luka pretty much. If Timmy was hot we'd have won by 15. He was cold. Sometimes thats all there is to it.

Just shows you how awful the current NBA product is.  The Nets are missing Harden, a recent MVP and a guy most consider at worst a top 5-7 player in the league, and it doesn't even matter.  
Harden is the best player on the team. He is their all-rounder. He will do anything they ask him. They are a much better team with him. Let’s pray he’s healthy enough to play in game 3. 

really kind of says something about the current NBA that you can get a team with the top 3 guys playing a total of 8 games in the regular season together can come in and destroy everything in their past. Regular season is becoming pretty meaningless at this point, and makes you think if there is a point to trying and build a team or just know that most top players may tank their way to 4-5 teams, and win it anyway without playing a ton together

Yep lol.  That's the standard in here.  Mention something he does well and you won't get a response.  Mention something he does bad and it's like-city
if there is any golden rule in the sports world now it is being on the same side as Steven A. Smith isn't a good thing. Needless to say, bashing Ben has been Steven A's main yelling point for the last 2 weeks. 

it is intrguing how Ben can get 10 posts or so in here bashing his FTs, and Luka and Giannis can get a combined 1, possibly 2 for their poor FT shooting. 

My opinion, i hope all 3 improve

Playoffs aren't over yet guys. 
i'm pretty objective on this one, and thought the Bucks would take the Nets down in the playoffs. I am the typical fan of the series so far seeing more box scores then the actual play, so i could be way off in my thoughts on the game. Just seems like it is an uphill climb for the Bucks at this point

Would love to hear a counter argument why we think the Bucks can still win this series. i put money on them to win the series this morning, so i certainly welcome any thoughts

Wow. Didn't get to watch the game but just saw the score. Crazy. 

They don't even need Harden at this point. Seems like the reg season becoming pointless when you can have multiple star NBA players take turns hanging out at home and just arrive for playoffs and roll teams. The nets are really good and I don't think anyone can stop them, but really don't think them winning it is good for the league. 

Anyone but the Nets. 

i'm pretty objective on this one, and thought the Bucks would take the Nets down in the playoffs. I am the typical fan of the series so far seeing more box scores then the actual play, so i could be way off in my thoughts on the game. Just seems like it is an uphill climb for the Bucks at this point

Would love to hear a counter argument why we think the Bucks can still win this series. i put money on them to win the series this morning, so i certainly welcome any thoughts
They have a great defense. They have Giannis. They have individual defenders who can make lifer harder for the Nets' dudes. 

I don't think they're going to win the series, adn I didn't before, but let's see what happens in Milwaukee. Lot's of weird home blowouts in NBA playoff history. The only thing certain right now is that the 76ers won't beat the Hawks. Everything else is up in the air still. 

They have a great defense. They have Giannis. They have individual defenders who can make lifer harder for the Nets' dudes. 

I don't think they're going to win the series, adn I didn't before, but let's see what happens in Milwaukee. Lot's of weird home blowouts in NBA playoff history. The only thing certain right now is that the 76ers won't beat the Hawks. Everything else is up in the air still. 
argh i liked your posts after the 1st paragraph, and couldn't get back quick enough to unclick it before i saw your sentence about the 6'ers. 

My take, i think the Sixers can still win it. Hawks looked lights out Game 1, so Sixers certainly need to bring their top game for the entire game, but i don't think it will be a sweep by the Hawks. If it is, man oh man the Sixers should have a volatile off-season

The East is certainly looking much easier for the Nets than I projected. I wasn't really bullish on the Bucks against them, but they are just get destroyed. Sixers seemed like the most likely to give a challenge just because the Nets have no match to Embiid defensively. However Embiid is hurt and they just looked really off against the Hawks.

The East is certainly looking much easier for the Nets than I projected. I wasn't really bullish on the Bucks against them, but they are just get destroyed. Sixers seemed like the most likely to give a challenge just because the Nets have no match to Embiid defensively. However Embiid is hurt and they just looked really off against the Hawks.
really hoping it was his conditioning. he was huffing and puffing in the 3rd Q pretty significantly, and this was his first game in over a week. My guess is he may look better in Game 2

I'm starting this post by declaring the Sixers were outclassed in this game. Not blaming the loss on the refs, or even Ben Simmons FTs, so please let that sit in. 

I still can't figure out how this first one was a foul. Yes i know the source of these videos is bias, but the clip shows the majority of that play that was challenged by Doc of Thybulle guarding Trae. I don't fault the ref a ton for the call right away, but i can't figure out how in the world the call gets challenged and the experts in New York who only have 1 friggin' job, still opted to call this a foul on Thybulle. Their explanation was glossed over during the game, but can anybody objectively tell me how this was a foul on Thybulle on the 1st video:

https://thelibertyline.com/2021/06/07/3-questionable-calls-from-yesterdays-sixers-hawks-game/

the other 2 are silly plays, and again i don't blame the refs a ton for messing up the foul call. But how does this get reviewed and not even explained well how this was a foul on Thybulle. 

Again, there are a few reasons the Sixers lost that game, and I can say with confident that the refs are not even in the top 5 reasons why they lost

I'm not too worried about the Hawks. They shot out of their minds from 3. Against the Knicks, they made 12, 12, 16, 9 and 9 three pointers per game. Yesterday they made 20. That's not going to happen again. 

Sixers were sloppy and lackadaisical. They still almost came back after being down 24. I think they take the next 4. Maybe lose game 5 in a close one and finish it in 6 but I think the Hawks fired their best shot yesterday.

I'm not too worried about the Hawks. They shot out of their minds from 3. Against the Knicks, they made 12, 12, 16, 9 and 9 three pointers per game. Yesterday they made 20. That's not going to happen again. 

Sixers were sloppy and lackadaisical. They still almost came back after being down 24. I think they take the next 4. Maybe lose game 5 in a close one and finish it in 6 but I think the Hawks fired their best shot yesterday.
Hawks won 4 out of 5 of those games.

Users who are viewing this thread