What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Oscars: Once Upon a Sunday (1 Viewer)

How many of these movies have you seen?

• All of them

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 7 or 8

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 5 or 6

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • 3 or 4

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • 1 or 2

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • None

Votes: 22 18.0%

• Total voters
All of them.  I'm only undecided on the following:

Doc Feature - American Factory or For Soma

Animated Feature - Toy Story 4 or Klaus

Film Editing - Ford v Ferrari or Parasite

Visual Effects - 1917 or Avengers
Those are tough but I would go AF, Klaus, Parasite and 1917
I went with AF, Toy Story, Parasite and 1917.  3/4

Got 19 out of 24 overall and won walking away.  The next closest was 15.

Thanks for all the good info in here!

Haven't read the whole thread. Why was Luke Perry not mentioned in the memoriam? He was in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

They keep trying it:  Let Me In, the upcoming Downhill, etc..   I guess they must make enough money to keep trying, but I can only think of one American remake I thought was better than the original and that was about 20 years ago with The Ring.  
By mentioning Oldboy, I was limiting it to American remakes of popular Korean films. I’d have to think there are a bunch of good examples of successful American remakes of foreign films. The Departed comes immediately to mind. 

About this time, QT must be thinking: "I give these #$%#^! a love tribute to Hollywood and all the film receives is 2  #$?%^&!  Oscars??!"  :shock:   :rant:

His next film might just be an ultraviolent reimagining of an Academy Awards show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam McKay and Bong are already working on adapting it into a limited HBO series. Rumor is Marc Ruffalo will "star" in it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Archie Yates, the kid who plays Yorkie in JoJo Rabbit (if you've seen it, you know who I am talking about) has been cast as the new lead in a Home Alone reboot. I would have no interest in that except I am all for seeing Yates again.

You simply could not do characters in American film like they did in Parasite.  Its also hard to fathom the family unit being that central in an American dynamic.
One thing I loved about this film is how the family has absolutely no pretense about being any other than con artists and hucksters.  I feel like an Americanized version of the film would feature a straight-laced family that looked normal to the outside world a la American Beauty that would rob the movie of a lot of its tone.

One thing I loved about this film is how the family has absolutely no pretense about being any other than con artists and hucksters.  I feel like an Americanized version of the film would feature a straight-laced family that looked normal to the outside world a la American Beauty that would rob the movie of a lot of its tone.
Or there would be a  rationalization or justification for it, its studio formula.  

Has a Shameless vibe to it 

1. Subtitles don't bother me. I'm pretty much deaf as a post, so most everything I watch is with them. 

2. Didn't even smirk once. 

3. Quite possibly. 

They keep trying it:  Let Me In, the upcoming Downhill, etc..   I guess they must make enough money to keep trying, but I can only think of one American remake I thought was better than the original and that was about 20 years ago with The Ring.  
I LOVEDx100 the American remake of The Grudge. It's essentially a shot by shot remake of Ju-On, but it felt tighter and better paced for American audiences.
I wouldn't mind watching a remake of The Wailing also.

I did one of these right after i saw the movie for the 2nd time, but then it just morphed into a late 60s mix.  Good driving around music.
I’m a nerd so I put 69 songs and made them all songs that were from 68-August 69 so they could have been played in the timeframe of the movie. Tried to keep things a bit on theme for the movie and included things Straight Shooter which is likely the last song Tate and crew ever heard. 

But yeah, I’m a big nerd.

Also Archie Yates, the kid who plays Yorkie in JoJo Rabbit (if you've seen it, you know who I am talking about) has been cast as the new lead in a Home Alone reboot. I would have no interest in that except I am all for seeing Yates again.
This kid was hilarious in every scene he was in, good for him.  

I'm not sure we want to get into discussion of the movie in here, but just a minor comment - in agreement with yours for the most part.

While the poor family are fraudsters, one could say at least 3 of them are at least providing competent services for fair value to the rich family.  The son is by all appearances a competent tutor.  The dad seems to be a good driver (passing the coffee cup test) and the mom is cleaning and cooking for her pay.  The daughter is not qualified to be a therapist and is pretty far across the fraud line, but that's partly on Ms. Park who is gullible enough to hire an art therapist for her son, and we might say the daughter is probably doing that job as well as a Phd art therapist would for what its worth.  This isn't really central to the plot, but I think consistent with the theme of both the Kim and Park families being parasitic.  That said, I've no doubt an Americanized remake would ignore this subtlety and probably make the poor family full-blown con artists, the rich family completely evil imbeciles, and it would likely go all-in comedy/slapstick. 

Liked Parasite but enjoyed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a lot more.  Think Tarantino should have got it this year.

Was a good year for movies though.  Joker, 1917 and Ford Vs Ferrari also solid.

Parasite felt close to perfect. Every shot was so well done, and it's one of those captivating films that will have you thinking about the metaphors and symbolism long after watching it.

Let the Right One In is one of my all time favorite films. And agree the remake was not great.

CletiusMaximus said:
I'm not sure we want to get into discussion of the movie in here, but just a minor comment - in agreement with yours for the most part.

While the poor family are fraudsters, one could say at least 3 of them are at least providing competent services for fair value to the rich family.  The son is by all appearances a competent tutor.  The dad seems to be a good driver (passing the coffee cup test) and the mom is cleaning and cooking for her pay.  The daughter is not qualified to be a therapist and is pretty far across the fraud line, but that's partly on Ms. Park who is gullible enough to hire an art therapist for her son, and we might say the daughter is probably doing that job as well as a Phd art therapist would for what its worth.  This isn't really central to the plot, but I think consistent with the theme of both the Kim and Park families being parasitic.  That said, I've no doubt an Americanized remake would ignore this subtlety and probably make the poor family full-blown con artists, the rich family completely evil imbeciles, and it would likely go all-in comedy/slapstick. 
Oh man. An American version of this movie would just make me so angry. 

Saw a few of these over a couple plane trips:

My favorite was Jojo Rabbit, though Parasite was a close second.

Joker was pretty good.

Ford versus Ferrari was boring.

Once upon a time in Hollywood was too long, and the ending was ridiculous. Really surprised to see it was even considered for an Oscar.

Users who are viewing this thread