What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 New York football Giants (1 Viewer)

Peyton is whispering in Irsay's ear right now. The Colts would be a better team with Eli replacing Brissett. He'd pick up a new offense quickly. He'd have a better offensive line,better receivers and a better defense. He'd have a better head coach. He'd complete the circle. A Manning is forced out of a franchise he helped build into a contender. The Golden Boy who replaced him is booed off the field. A Manning returns to lead that franchise back to a championship. (Of course he'd be booed when he retires next year) It's a made for Hollywood story.

"The Manning Brothers"...starring Peyton Manning as himself.....Adam Sandler as the goofy kid brother Eli.....Robert Dinero as Archie,The Don of a football family.....Jessica Lange as

Mom Olivia....and  Liam Hemsworth as Cooper,the star who never was but coulda been.   I smell an Oscar.
I love the Adam Sandler as Eli casting

Vegas doesn't agree with you ... they went from 14-1 to 30-1 ... I would say Eli would put them in the 20 or 25-1 range  
Wait! You really believe that adding Eli Manning to the Colts roster less than two weeks before the season starts will make the Colts a legitimate Super Bowl contender?

Wait! You really believe that adding Eli Manning to the Colts roster less than two weeks before the season starts will make the Colts a legitimate Super Bowl contender?
Yes ... without a doubt ... Veteran potential HOFer vs journyman quality QB ... All Day  

Doesn't take a Veteran long to learn a new system ... Eli did it last season and had one of the best seasons of his career 

Yes ... without a doubt ... Veteran potential HOFer vs journyman quality QB ... All Day  

Doesn't take a Veteran long to learn a new system ... Eli did it last season and had one of the best seasons of his career 
Sure it was Eli’s best season in years but that was only good for about the 20th QB in the league in terms of QB rating.

Also Eli had an entire offseason and training camp to learn Shurmur’s system, he wouldn’t have nearly that much time if he were to be traded to the Colts.

Obviously Eli has had a better career than Brissett but I think Brissett gives the Colts a better chance to win this season than Eli would.

Also I’m not so sure we should label a young guy still on his rookie contract a ‘journeyman’.

Sure it was Eli’s best season in years but that was only good for about the 20th QB in the league in terms of QB rating.

Also Eli had an entire offseason and training camp to learn Shurmur’s system, he wouldn’t have nearly that much time if he were to be traded to the Colts.

Obviously Eli has had a better career than Brissett but I think Brissett gives the Colts a better chance to win this season than Eli would.

Also I’m not so sure we should label a young guy still on his rookie contract a ‘journeyman’.
13 Tds in 23 games 17 starts screams journeyman ... 2 starts for the Pats and 0 TDs is unheard of 

13 Tds in 23 games 17 starts screams journeyman ... 2 starts for the Pats and 0 TDs is unheard of 
LOL a little context might help

He was thrust into a starting role in NE as a rookie because Jimmy G got hurt and Brady was serving a suspension. While he didn’t throw any TD’s he did run for one and he didn’t throw any interceptions. The Patriots went 1-1 in his 2 games as a starter.

So in NE as a rookie probably just getting 3rd string reps in training camp he is called on to start 2 games early in the season and plays good enough to win 1 of 2.

He was traded in September of his 2nd season in the league (2017) to the Colts after Luck was injured.

In IND as a 2nd year player he joins the team in September of that season ends up being the starter and throws 13 TD against 7 interceptions and runs for 4 TD’s.  

LOL a little context might help

He was thrust into a starting role in NE as a rookie because Jimmy G got hurt and Brady was serving a suspension. While he didn’t throw any TD’s he did run for one and he didn’t throw any interceptions. The Patriots went 1-1 in his 2 games as a starter.

So in NE as a rookie probably just getting 3rd string reps in training camp he is called on to start 2 games early in the season and plays good enough to win 1 of 2.

He was traded in September of his 2nd season in the league (2017) to the Colts after Luck was injured.

In IND as a 2nd year player he joins the team in September of that season ends up being the starter and throws 13 TD against 7 interceptions and runs for 4 TD’s.  
It's New England, they score ...Like Garoppolo did when he was thrown into it 

Trades like Eli to IND this late into camp are not unheard of but are rare for a reason: learning the playbook and teammates' tendencies (building chemistry with receivers) takes time.  That being said, Eli is a veteran and is smart and could probably pick up the Colt's playbook in two weeks well enough to be effective.  Is he better at this point in his career than Brissett?  No question.

I would say a fourth round pick would be fair value.

Will it happen? Probably not. But it isn't crazy.  Colts will be looking for a veteran backup in any case.  

It's New England, they score ...Like Garoppolo did when he was thrown into it 
Once again context

Garoppolo’s 1st start was in 2016. It was his 3rd year in the league. The Patriots scored 23 points against the Cardinals. The Cardinals went 7-8-1 that season and missed the playoffs

Brissett’s 1st start was in 2016. As a rookie. The Patriots scored 27 points against the Texans. The Texans went 9-7 that season and lost to the Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Trades like Eli to IND this late into camp are not unheard of but are rare for a reason: learning the playbook and teammates' tendencies (building chemistry with receivers) takes time.  That being said, Eli is a veteran and is smart and could probably pick up the Colt's playbook in two weeks well enough to be effective.  Is he better at this point in his career than Brissett?  No question.

I would say a fourth round pick would be fair value.

Will it happen? Probably not. But it isn't crazy.  Colts will be looking for a veteran backup in any case.  
Do you think Eli would be willing to waive his no trade clause?

Once again context

Garoppolo’s 1st start was in 2016. It was his 3rd year in the league. The Patriots scored 23 points against the Cardinals. The Cardinals went 7-8-1 that season and missed the playoffs

Brissett’s 1st start was in 2016. As a rookie. The Patriots scored 27 points against the Texans. The Texans went 9-7 that season and lost to the Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs.
Garoppolo’s 1st TD came in 2014 (27 attempts) when he was a rookies at age 23 ... Brissett was 24 as rookie (55 Attempts) 0 TDs 

Brissett has an extremely low TD % .... I cant even find a comparable QB

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think Eli would be willing to waive his no trade clause?
I don't know. If I were him I would. The writing is on the wall in NY.  He won't be replaced this year, unless the team struggles. But he will be replaced next year. Why not go somewhere that you can start over with a clean slate and a better team and where your replacement isn'tsitting on the sideline yet?

Garoppolo’s 1st TD came in 2014 (27 attempts) when he was a rookies at age 23 ... Brissett was 24 as rookie (55 Attempts) 0 TDs 

Brissett has an extremely low TD % .... I cant even find a comparable QB
Once again context.

2014 - Jimmy threw his 1st TD with 7 minutes to go in a game that they were losing 41-7 to Kansas City at the time. AKA garbage time

Once again context.

2014 - Jimmy threw his 1st TD with 7 minutes to go in a game that they were losing 41-7 to Kansas City at the time. AKA garbage time
Whats the matter with you ... the Patriots were shut out for first time ever at Gillette Stadium and the 1st time since 2006 under Brissett ...against the Bills!?

Brissett has a 2.5 TD%  for his career ... he's terrible ! that's worse than Josh Rosen as a rookie with the Cardinals who were the worst team in the NFL last year 

Not sure why you are such a Brissett fan but you'd better hurry out and get his Jersey before they are all gone  ...they are flying off the shelves 

For any Giant fans who were disappointed that we let Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins pass us by in consecutive drafts ... we can now take solace in knowing that Rosen now with his 2nd team has been beaten out by Fitzmagic despite the Phins using a 2nd and 5th to acquire him and Haskins who we were crazy to pass up has been beaten out by journeyman Case Keenum.

While it is way to early to tell ... I'm feelin pretty good about our disastrous pick of Daniel Jones who has completed a mere 85% of his passes while not throwing an INT and putting up easily the highest avg per pass attempt (12.5) of all 1st rd QBs over the past 2 preseasons. Mayfield (8.1) is the only other to even clear 7.5 yards per pass

monk said:
For any Giant fans who were disappointed that we let Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins pass us by in consecutive drafts ... we can now take solace in knowing that Rosen now with his 2nd team has been beaten out by Fitzmagic despite the Phins using a 2nd and 5th to acquire him and Haskins who we were crazy to pass up has been beaten out by journeyman Case Keenum.

While it is way to early to tell ... I'm feelin pretty good about our disastrous pick of Daniel Jones who has completed a mere 85% of his passes while not throwing an INT and putting up easily the highest avg per pass attempt (12.5) of all 1st rd QBs over the past 2 preseasons. Mayfield (8.1) is the only other to even clear 7.5 yards per pass
I think you are exactly right with the bolded. But would you rather he look good in his 6 preseason drives or bad in his 6 preseason drives? Obviously, you want him to look good and he did.

rockaction said:
The Jets have a better GM and thread than you guys.

Just saying. ;)
jets are the peppermint patties of the NFL.they're lame, like thelma in scooby doo.  or the Kramer of Seinfeld - the single greatest, most unfunny dork in the history of dorks, the worst part in any tv comedy show , ever. one trick pony.i open door, crowd cheers. i shake head and make weird statements.i leave.crowd cheers.wash rinse repeat. never have i ever watched seinfeld at laughed at anything this guy said or did. its worse than watching SNL.

Kramer is the same person that is Phoebe on Friends, bumbling idiots. this is the NY Jets .

but, at least there not the Lions, or Brownies, or Bungles.when they win a SB in this century , hit me up! it's only been half a century. but they're gettin' close aren't they? I like Darnold.

jets are the peppermint patties of the NFL.they're lame, like thelma in scooby doo.  or the Kramer of Seinfeld - the single greatest, most unfunny dork in the history of dorks, the worst part in any tv comedy show , ever. one trick pony.i open door, crowd cheers. i shake head and make weird statements.i leave.crowd cheers.wash rinse repeat. never have i ever watched seinfeld at laughed at anything this guy said or did. its worse than watching SNL.

Kramer is the same person that is Phoebe on Friends, bumbling idiots. this is the NY Jets .

but, at least there not the Lions, or Brownies, or Bungles.when they win a SB in this century , hit me up! it's only been half a century. but they're gettin' close aren't they? I like Darnold.
The Jets, um, well...yeah. Kind of how you describe. It's indeed been half a century. I think they won in '69, and it's '19, so...

Giants waived/released DT Chris Slayton, RB Jon Hilliman, WR T.J. Jones, WR Reggie White Jr., TE C.J. Conrad, TE Jake Powell, OL Paul Adams, OL Evan Brown, OL Malcolm Bunche, OL James O’Hagan, DL Freedom Akinmoladun, DL Jake Ceresna, DL John Jenkins, LB Joey Alfieri, LB Jake Carlock, LB Terrence Fede, LB Avery Moss, LB Josiah Tauaefa, DB Tenny Adewusi, DB Terrell Sinkfield, Jr., P Johnny Townsend and LS Taybor Pepper.

Slayton was the No. 245 overall pick of the draft. A workhorse/grinder type, he will likely try to develop on the practice squad.
No Slayton, Reggie White Jr., or T.J. Jones? What?

Yenrub said:
Alex Tanney makes the initial 53 man roster.

Who does he have pictures of and what are they doing in those pictures? 
"They like the vet presence in the QB room". Well hire the dude as a coach already. I don't see any upside to keeping Tanney for abilities on the field at all. I was thinking his horrid play vs the Pats' scrubs was going to be the writing on the wall. In general, I think the team has improved over previous years efforts. Heck, watching to see if they claim anyone this year will be hugely telling. The waiver window blood bath last year was all the signs anyone needed that the team had massive roster problems going into the year. But I don't get why Tanney is able to hang on. 

How do NYG fans feel about Sterling Shepard?  Given that OBJ is gone and Tate is sidelined for four weeks, what kind of production do you expect from Sterling?  Is his thumb healed?

It feels like he has not gotten as much buzz as he should but maybe I am missing something.

"They like the vet presence in the QB room". Well hire the dude as a coach already. I don't see any upside to keeping Tanney for abilities on the field at all. I was thinking his horrid play vs the Pats' scrubs was going to be the writing on the wall. In general, I think the team has improved over previous years efforts. Heck, watching to see if they claim anyone this year will be hugely telling. The waiver window blood bath last year was all the signs anyone needed that the team had massive roster problems going into the year. But I don't get why Tanney is able to hang on. 
And Stupar ... really? you cant a legit backup that could play special teams ?

How do NYG fans feel about Sterling Shepard?  Given that OBJ is gone and Tate is sidelined for four weeks, what kind of production do you expect from Sterling?  Is his thumb healed?

It feels like he has not gotten as much buzz as he should but maybe I am missing something.
His thumb is healed and he'll be ready to go  but ... I like Shepard as a #2  and those are the #'s that I think he will produce as a #1 ... Giants are going to spread it out and run a lot   

Eagles sign Kyle Lauletta to practice squad ... what slap in the face! 

You think they would have signed Tanney if he had been let go? .... Me Neither

Eagles sign Kyle Lauletta to practice squad ... what slap in the face! 

You think they would have signed Tanney if he had been let go? .... Me Neither
... Yes, because he knows the Giants plays/signals and they can get them. Team do it to division rivals all the time. You think Giants were serious about former Cowboy Rod Smith? Look at the recent cuts/pickup, you'll find a ton of inter-division stuff

... Yes, because he knows the Giants plays/signals and they can get them. Team do it to division rivals all the time. You think Giants were serious about former Cowboy Rod Smith? Look at the recent cuts/pickup, you'll find a ton of inter-division stuff
I would have preferred them to take the signals from a guy with zero upside vs a guy who might have upside. I didn't like it when they keep Tanney last year, but if I squinted and looked sideways at it, I could see the logic.  I definitely don't see it this year.

Giants placed CB Sam Beal on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

More tough luck for Beal, who missed all of 2018 with a shoulder injury. The former third-round supplemental pick began OTAs as a starter and was expected to play meaningful snaps for the Giants in 2019 if he proved to be healthy. The Giants secondary is going to need a big rookie campaign from Deandre Baker.
Of of course. He is at least designated to return since he was on the active roster.

How did Barkley not touch the ball on 3rd and 1 and then 4th and 1?
I am pretty sure the play calling was worse than that. In the inexplicable, 12men on D, wait, no time out, wait, that was grounding even tho there was a receiver near by sequence... Barkley wasn't on the field. I think it was at least 4 short yardage plays and the rookie of the year wasn't there. 

I was happy to see that the OLine was improved. Eli's play (for good or ill, if someone wants to make this game about Eli, have fun with that) was better. But that defense? eeeesh. Eli is going need career days every week if the D keeps that up.

The Secondary was by far the biggest disappointment. After all the preseason hype and personnel investment ... they were absolutely disgusting!!!!

• Hamilton should not be on the field ... ever! Why was he?
  • I don't think Love or  Ballentine  played  a defensive snap ...Why?
  • Peppers did nothing other than make tackles 10-20 yds downfield  
  • Bethea looked old and slow 
  • Baker got tortured regularly 
  • Even Jenkins got abused on a few plays 
Not 1 good thing that I could say about the secondary 

The Secondary was by far the biggest disappointment. After all the preseason hype and personnel investment ... they were absolutely disgusting!!!!

This was a secondary that REALLY missed Sam Beal. Beal was to the Giants what Corey Webster was back in the day: size/speed combo with good instincts and then they rotate Baker/Ballentine in the slot. Baker is going to be a good talent but good Lord, he was roasted alive out there.

I'm not sure why Love didn't rotate in more at CB.

Young secondary plus little pass rush equals poor pass defense.

The young guys will get better with experience but there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road

kodycutter said:
Where's the pass rush gonna come from with this D?   ....Next years draft...
Well, it could have come from a guy named Josh Allen from this year's draft, but instead the #6 pick was better spent on Daniel Jones for some ungodly reason.

Well, it could have come from a guy named Josh Allen from this year's draft, but instead the #6 pick was better spent on Daniel Jones for some ungodly reason.
The "ungodly reason" was the Giants starting QB is 38 years old and everybody was saying, and rightfully so, that the Giants need to get a new franchise QB.  You may, and obviously do, disagree with the pick. but the reason for drafting a QB made perfect sense.

I mean this is the best possible way, but it is way post letting this go.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda... didn't. 

The "ungodly reason" was the Giants starting QB is 38 years old and everybody was saying, and rightfully so, that the Giants need to get a new franchise QB.  You may, and obviously do, disagree with the pick. but the reason for drafting a QB made perfect sense.

I mean this is the best possible way, but it is way post letting this go.  Coulda, woulda, shoulda... didn't. 
Jones would've been there at #17, and that's where people roast Gettleman. It's not that they drafted Jones over Haskins, but that they passed on an young elite pass rusher who dropped in their lap (he was supposed to go Top 3). You'd take Allen/Jones (Or Haskins if Jones wasn't there LOL) any day over Jones/Lawrence any day.

Jones would've been there at #17, and that's where people roast Gettleman. It's not that they drafted Jones over Haskins, but that they passed on an young elite pass rusher who dropped in their lap (he was supposed to go Top 3). You'd take Allen/Jones (Or Haskins if Jones wasn't there LOL) any day over Jones/Lawrence any day.
My point exactly. This defense is going to be sliced and diced without a pass rush.

My point exactly. This defense is going to be sliced and diced without a pass rush.
Not what you said but fair enough.

Regardless, we don't know if Jones would have been available but again, time to move past it.  Past time to move past it.

The Giants screwed up the draft pretty badly ...aside from taking Jones with the 6th pick I think Dexter Lawrence with the 17th was bad as well

They still could have taken Montez Sweat with that pick pick and ended up with a pass rusher. Jones / Sweat isn't bad 

If they went with Josh Allen like they should have and Jones was not available ... I would have waited till next year for the QB and gone with Josh Allen / Sweat or Jeffrey Simmons 

Thoughts on Engram ROS. Encouraging Week 1.  However they were playing catchup, assuming they do this more this year.

Golden Tate coming back in a few weeks, Barkley always there to take 10+ catches any week,  Eli being Eli, Jones potentially could help or hinder Engram.

Trying to decide if I should go after Kelce or not using Engram or if the gap will be narrowed and Engram can end up top 2-3.  Shallow lineup league so TE advantage is huge.

Thoughts on Engram ROS. Encouraging Week 1.  However they were playing catchup, assuming they do this more this year.

Golden Tate coming back in a few weeks, Barkley always there to take 10+ catches any week,  Eli being Eli, Jones potentially could help or hinder Engram.

Trying to decide if I should go after Kelce or not using Engram or if the gap will be narrowed and Engram can end up top 2-3.  Shallow lineup league so TE advantage is huge.
Engram should continue to put up good numbers as long as he stays healthy. Outside of Barkley he is their best weapon. He will be heavily involved in the game plan each week.

Users who are viewing this thread