What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (2 Viewers)

Is it? I know I've read that if a QB is going to improve, he usually will by his second year starting (which gives the question if we count Hurts' odd 2020 or not - I'm inclined to not). I'm not sure how a QB with more time to develop chemistry and a grasp of the offense can't improve here. (He might not...but especially if it was never a point of emphasis in college, seems like it's certain possible).
Regardless, if the Eagles DO trot him out next year and there isn't improvement, we know we need to move on.

Was going to post something similar to what @JetMaxx did below. McNabb was similar and never threw to a spot but he had a strong arm so he can get away with it. He was also in the same offense for 11 years and it never improved. Feel for the passing game and throwing with anticipation starts in college and improves if at all from that point.

I’ve written that off as something he can improve on.

He can improve his accuracy/ball placement and HOPEFULLY his reads/progressions. His pocket presence is pretty poor as well and that can improve if he’s going through reads and trusts the offense/play call. 

Unfortunately this is likely to be correct. As Aikman said in the broadcast Hurts needs to see it before he commits to the throw. That’s too late in the NFL

Was going to post something similar to what @JetMaxx did below. McNabb was similar and never threw to a spot but he had a strong arm so he can get away with it. He was also in the same offense for 11 years and it never improved. Feel for the passing game and throwing with anticipation starts in college and improves if at all from that point.

I’ve written that off as something he can improve on.

He can improve his accuracy/ball placement and HOPEFULLY his reads/progressions. His pocket presence is pretty poor as well and that can improve if he’s going through reads and trusts the offense/play call. 

I guess that's where I would hope the coaching staff has a godo handle on if they think he can improve enough in their system to be a quality starter. If they feel his ceiling is a backup level, then dont waste time, grab a QB that does have that potential.

Sure, if discussing a division rival means you "live rent free in our heads" and that is some kind of diss or attempted burn to help you deal with your repeated playoff collapses, then sure.... we'll lend you our thread so you can keep coming in to say how much we care about your team.
"We live rent free in your head and I know this because I'm a DAL fan constantly checking the Eagles thread to see what you guys are saying about my team so I can be the first to tell you about yourselves and how obsessed you are with us."

I think our official response, and the scientific diagnosis for this, is "takes one to know one!"  :P

I guess that's where I would hope the coaching staff has a godo handle on if they think he can improve enough in their system to be a quality starter. If they feel his ceiling is a backup level, then dont waste time, grab a QB that does have that potential.
Absolutely. There’s a lot of moving parts and it’s a two-way street. There’s a full year of tape now on Sirianni and Hurts. Defenses are going to adjust as well. 

Like I said above, I’m fine with him being the starter but I don’t expect any playoff wins. It’s conceivable that Hurts improves some and we still get the same results. 

I would trade hurts. Draft defense, find a bigger possession receiver and another TE to compliment Goedert. Draft another RB later in the draft. 

Then roll with Minshew. The kid has “it”. With that line + a possession guy in one of the two aforementioned receiver positions, Menshew doesn’t need to sling it 35-40 times.

I will say it until I can no longer breathe life, as much as the NFL tries to push offense, a good offensive and defensive line complemented by a strong running game and a quarterback who doesn’t commit turnovers is the recipe for success. Using this method the skill position numbers stay low so you don’t have to break the bank to sign any of them. Run the running backs into the ground and draft another one.

Tom Brady won most of his Super Bowls by three points or less and by throwing to a TE, 5 foot nothing white guys and James White.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there's some "pull a rabbit out of a hat" move that no one saw coming, there just isn't a realistic QB option out there that moves the needle for 2022 so even though Hurts didn't show enough to be "Mr. Right", he's going to have to be "Mr. Right Now." 

I would like to see them use the 2022 picks toward best players at positions of need, maybe wheel and deal a little bit to gain some ground in the 2023 draft, and try to compete again next year while developing the young guys. Maybe Hurts makes an unlikely leap next year as a passer, but if he doesn't the QB landscape might be better and you've at least got a more talented team to plug the next guy into. 

Unless there's some "pull a rabbit out of a hat" move that no one saw coming, there just isn't a realistic QB option out there that moves the needle for 2022 so even though Hurts didn't show enough to be "Mr. Right", he's going to have to be "Mr. Right Now." 

I would like to see them use the 2022 picks toward best players at positions of need, maybe wheel and deal a little bit to gain some ground in the 2023 draft, and try to compete again next year while developing the young guys. Maybe Hurts makes an unlikely leap next year as a passer, but if he doesn't the QB landscape might be better and you've at least got a more talented team to plug the next guy into. 
It's so hard to get people to accept true reality these days. On a variety of topics, but I'm with you here. There is no scenario where its going to be like when we signed TO in 2004 and THE ENTIRE FAN BASE was on board. 10-15 years of hot take TV has got us split on literally every issue (as a fan of this team haha). 

I don’t think it will be a move no one saw coming. The path to getting another QB is still there, IMO. 

-If Watson is cleared we have to look into him. He’s the only one though. I can’t see Rodgers or Wilson wanting to come here  

-We have 3 first round picks that will be in the range of taking a QB or ammo to move up slightly to get one you like. 

Look, Wentz moved the needle and he’s almost crap now. Guys like Allen, Herbert, Watsson & Mahomes weren’t  the first QB’s even picked and came with a LOT of issues. That all boils down to what Howie and the staff thinks this draft can provide though so we won’t know for a few months. 

I miss Gang Green.  I know its basically a whole different sport 30 years later and maybe I'm just getting old but I'm sure I'm not the only one that wouldn't mind hanging our hat on a defense we could be proud of.

Use those 1st rounders on defense and stop "outsmarting" other teams by overdrafting ####ty WRs.

move up slightly to get one you like. 
Insert gif of Michael Scott yelling "No, no, no, no, no" here.

With 3 picks in the first round and 6 meh QB prospects this year, there are going to be at least a few that fall to our picks.  Or just draft a project later and fire that "QB factory" up.

I'd rather trade back a few picks at each spot if needy teams are looking to overpay to jump other teams.

At some point if a good deal comes up to trade out of one of the firsts for a 2023 1st + to a lower half / probable non-playoff team I'm all over that too.

I don’t think it will be a move no one saw coming. The path to getting another QB is still there, IMO. 

-If Watson is cleared we have to look into him. He’s the only one though. I can’t see Rodgers or Wilson wanting to come here  

-We have 3 first round picks that will be in the range of taking a QB or ammo to move up slightly to get one you like. 

Look, Wentz moved the needle and he’s almost crap now. Guys like Allen, Herbert, Watsson & Mahomes weren’t  the first QB’s even picked and came with a LOT of issues. That all boils down to what Howie and the staff thinks this draft can provide though so we won’t know for a few months. 
About the bolded. What defines "Cleared?" when you have 20+ people accusing you of stuff. My thing is "it only takes 1" after all this garbage is over with to reset the whole thing all over again. The stress of THAT distinct and IMO, likely scenario playing out gives me way too much anxiety. 

Insert gif of Michael Scott yelling "No, no, no, no, no" here.

With 3 picks in the first round and 6 meh QB prospects this year, there are going to be at least a few that fall to our picks.  Or just draft a project later and fire that "QB factory" up.

I'd rather trade back a few picks at each spot if needy teams are looking to overpay to jump other teams.

At some point if a good deal comes up to trade out of one of the firsts for a 2023 1st + to a lower half / probable non-playoff team I'm all over that too.
My thing is that all of the QB’s I mentioned before were considered “meh”. I’m not saying they’ll be good but I’m saying if Howie and the staff identify one as a star they should get them. You’re never going to pass on a potential star QB and opt to wait for next year. I said move up slightly since I don’t think the ammo would be much to go from 15-16-19 to 10 depending on what pick you’re going up. I’m not advocating for a move into the top 5

Or maybe they all think these QB’s aren’t good. In that case I’m fine with taking BPA (hopefully on defense) and building talent. 

About the bolded. What defines "Cleared?" when you have 20+ people accusing you of stuff. My thing is "it only takes 1" after all this garbage is over with to reset the whole thing all over again. The stress of THAT distinct and IMO, likely scenario playing out gives me way too much anxiety. 
Cleared is cleared. I’m not sure how to word it other than they’re finalized and he’s found to be not guilty. If that’s the case, he’s an option for sure. He won’t play another snap in Houston. I can guarantee that regardless of the outcome. 

Cleared is cleared. I’m not sure how to word it other than they’re finalized and he’s found to be not guilty. If that’s the case, he’s an option for sure. He won’t play another snap in Houston. I can guarantee that regardless of the outcome. 
That's kind of my point - we don't really know when a guy with this type of "alleged" character what the truth is. I'd just not rather deal with a Cosby situation with my QB down the road basically. I don't want choir boys, but I don't want jail birds either. 

Here's why I don't think any of those are realistic:

- Watson's baggage makes him prohibitive at this point. And if he were "cleared" to the point teams no longer have to worry about him being a distraction or lightning rod, that would only make him cost more because there would be teams lined up out the door. Then you're in a situation where you plug him into a team that is still missing key pieces and way less avenues to address them because of the picks you had to give up. Same for Wilson, in that respect. If he's available and still himself (and this season wasn't an indication of decline), it will cost you chips that could have been used to build around him (and build up the defense) on top of the huge cap chunk he's going to eat up.

- Using the 3 1st rounders to take a stab at maybe one of the underwhelming QB options turning into a Mahomes or Watson is a huge gamble (and, again, costs you resources to use for other areas of need) and is as much dependent on luck as it is the evaluation skills of the people making the picks. But how hit or miss they have been (with really BIG misses on Day 1 and 2 of the draft) doesn't exactly make that an appetizing path.

Can we get better than Hurts at QB next year, sure. Can we do it without tradeoffs that will likely set us back in other ways, probably not. That's why I would lean toward rolling with Hurts, concentrate on using resources to make other parts of the team better, and then re-assess in 2023.  

- Watson's baggage makes him prohibitive at this point. And if he were "cleared" to the point teams no longer have to worry about him being a distraction or lightning rod, that would only make him cost more because there would be teams lined up out the door. Then you're in a situation where you plug him into a team that is still missing key pieces and way less avenues to address them because of the picks you had to give up. Same for Wilson, in that respect. If he's available and still himself (and this season wasn't an indication of decline), it will cost you chips that could have been used to build around him (and build up the defense) on top of the huge cap chunk he's going to eat up.

- Using the 3 1st rounders to take a stab at maybe one of the underwhelming QB options turning into a Mahomes or Watson is a huge gamble (and, again, costs you resources to use for other areas of need) and is as much dependent on luck as it is the evaluation skills of the people making the picks. But how hit or miss they have been (with really BIG misses on Day 1 and 2 of the draft) doesn't exactly make that an appetizing path.

Can we get better than Hurts at QB next year, sure. Can we do it without tradeoffs that will likely set us back in other ways, probably not. That's why I would lean toward rolling with Hurts, concentrate on using resources to make other parts of the team better, and then re-assess in 2023.  
Regarding Watson, what’s being overlooked is the huge piece he also fills. I think that’s being downplayed. Also, it all comes down to cost, obviously. What I was driving at is that this wouldn’t be pulling a rabbit out of a hat. We’ve been rumored to be interested for 5 months now. 

Im also not advocating to use all 3 first round picks to move up or get any player. I’m not on board with either. What I can get behind (SLIGHTLY) is a move from say 15 to 10 that costs maybe a 3 to get done. That’s ONLY if they like a guy. Sure there’s a risk when picking QB’s, I agree there but that can’t stop you from evaluating and targeting one you like. I’d prefer  to keep all 3 firsts though  

At this moment I’m good with the 3 options I’ve been saying. Im not leaning any particular way now and I’m open to all 3

1. I’m ok with Hurts being the starter next year but I’m not expecting any playoff wins. 

2. Would take Watson if the offer was decent  

3. I’m good if they want to take a Picket/Ridder/Strong but ONLY if they fall. 

Im not locked into any of these. 

There's not really any "not guilty" here.  He's already "settled" with almost all of the women and given them payouts to stop it from going to court.  And like Noid said, IF he's "cleared" and he settles the rest of the cases, there will be a line up for his services.  

There is an unprecedented number of teams needing a QB this year (and coach), so in terms of the draft and us thinking someone just magically falls into our lap, there's probably 10 other teams thinking the same.  The cost of acquiring a QB this offseason is simply going to be too high.  Not many options, and tons of competition for those options.

Would rather draft defense round 1 and roll with Hurts one more year.

They weren’t close to top 3 were they ? I can’t recall but didn’t other QB get selected before them as well? 
Correct, 7 and 10.  With the number of teams desperate for QB's in the top half of the draft, I think most of these guys are going to be OVERDRAFTED.  It's probably the worst year ever to be sitting in the middle of the draft and "hoping a potentially great qb drops to us"

There's not really any "not guilty" here.  He's already "settled" with almost all of the women and given them payouts to stop it from going to court.  And like Noid said, IF he's "cleared" and he settles the rest of the cases, there will be a line up for his services.  

There is an unprecedented number of teams needing a QB this year (and coach), so in terms of the draft and us thinking someone just magically falls into our lap, there's probably 10 other teams thinking the same.  The cost of acquiring a QB this offseason is simply going to be too high.  Not many options, and tons of competition for those options.

Would rather draft defense round 1 and roll with Hurts one more year.
What’s the maximum you give up in draft capital for him assuming he’s good to go next year?

The question I have about Hurts is how his slow progression in reading defenses impacts the development of the young receiving corp. Perfect example is the interception in the end zone. Smith put a fantastic move on the CB to get him to actually fall to the ground. Hurts should have known to put it on Smith the moment the CB sits on the route. But instead he doesn’t see it, and because he’s late he then flushed by the pass rush and forced to make a running to his left power throw that was IMO easily intercepted. This is purely speculative but I think Minshew sees that and it’s a TD. I want a QB that gets the ball out, on time and in space if at all possible, especially on a young team in need of development

The question I have about Hurts is how his slow progression in reading defenses impacts the development of the young receiving corp.
great observation imo on his reads. this same I think can be said about the running game as well. by the time he decides whether to hand off or keep on most RPO's, the defenders are on top of them both (he and the RB). skills aside, he doesn't seem to be playing at NFL speed yet. it makes it harder for the RB's in the play to take the handoff, read blocks, and hit the hole. it all goes too slow, adding more pressure on the o-line too, so it's not sustainable until he can make these reads much much faster. to be fair this wasn't true on every game or every rpo play, but I noticed this in most games I watched, which I think I missed only two of his starts this year.

The question I have about Hurts is how his slow progression in reading defenses impacts the development of the young receiving corp. Perfect example is the interception in the end zone. Smith put a fantastic move on the CB to get him to actually fall to the ground. Hurts should have known to put it on Smith the moment the CB sits on the route. But instead he doesn’t see it, and because he’s late he then flushed by the pass rush and forced to make a running to his left power throw that was IMO easily intercepted. This is purely speculative but I think Minshew sees that and it’s a TD. I want a QB that gets the ball out, on time and in space if at all possible, especially on a young team in need of development
I’ll piggy back this with the sense that Sirianni knows it because if Aikman sees it or his spotters see it and relay it to him, then guess what? Everyone else in the NFL sees it. Including Sirianni. 
There must be a full competition next year at QB or Sirianni will lose respect very quickly. If he does I see Minshew winning the job. 
Sucks for me because I believed in Hurts character and still do. But he just doesn’t give me enough to invest more developmental time in him because the flaws aren’t ones I’ve seen corrected at the highest level. 

I’ll piggy back this with the sense that Sirianni knows it because if Aikman sees it or his spotters see it and relay it to him, then guess what? Everyone else in the NFL sees it. Including Sirianni. 
There must be a full competition next year at QB or Sirianni will lose respect very quickly. If he does I see Minshew winning the job. 
Sucks for me because I believed in Hurts character and still do. But he just doesn’t give me enough to invest more developmental time in him because the flaws aren’t ones I’ve seen corrected at the highest level. 
This is exactly why we have to consider all 3 options even we don’t like them. I’ll keep going back to the fact that defenses now have a year of tape on Sirianni and Hurts. That alone is going to offset progression. 

Right now we have the below draft pick wise. We can take a QB and still stack talent with this amount of picks we have. We also have ammo to get Watson if they’re in on him. I’m curious how Sirianni feels about him having played against them a bunch as well.

Round 1

15, 16, 19

Round 2

Round 3

We don’t have the pick numbers for the remaining rounds at the moment but we have a our 4, three 5’s and a 6. 

10 drafted rookies and however many UDRFA’a aren’t making this team. 

Rumors floating around that Brandon Brooks is retiring 
The whole thing around updates on him since his 8-week injury reached weeks 9, 10, 11, etc. has been fishy so there's definitely something going on. 

Thought maybe they wanted to keep him on ice for the year so they can cut him instead of bringing him back for the last few games and risk him getting another big injury. 

Howie and Nick speak to the media at 11am today for their year-end press conference. After that, next time we'll hear from anyone might be the league meetings at the end of March.

Gannon looks to be emerging as the rumored favorite for the Houston HC job  :oldunsure:
This has the feel of “be careful what you wish for” with him. I know he is hit or miss with people but I hate the idea of having to have a whole new system after just one year. After seeing how many interviews he’s received it was inevitable. He seems to have a very good reputation around the league. 

This has the feel of “be careful what you wish for” with him. I know he is hit or miss with people but I hate the idea of having to have a whole new system after just one year. After seeing how many interviews he’s received it was inevitable. He seems to have a very good reputation around the league. 
I can't say I was wowed by his scheme or anything but the fact that he is held in such high regard around the league does make me think he has something.  I didn't watch nearly close enough to know if the Eagles defensive issues were scheme or if the players were put in the right position and either didn't make the right read or weren't athletic enough to make a play. :shrug:

Maybe it works out better for everyone. He might be destined to be a great HC as opposed to a great DC and since we already have a HC if he moves on for bigger/better things, maybe our next DC is just a great DC (e.g. Jim Johnson).  :shrug:

Howie and Nick speak to the media at 11am today for their year-end press conference. After that, next time we'll hear from anyone might be the league meetings at the end of March.
My read between the lines from today:

• Howie thinks Jalen proved he is the guy going into next year and they want to build around him...unless something unexpected happens; Sirianni kept saying "Jalen is our starter" but unsaid seemed to be "...based on the players currently on this team" or "...but not our cornerstone/franchise guy" (my read: QB in the draft isn't likely but if they acquire a QB Jalen will either be part of that deal, or will be dealt)
  • Sirianni danced around whether all coaches would be retained (assuming they don't get promoted elsewhere) and is probably going to make some coaching changes (I think Michael Clay is gone)
  • Howie is going to stick to the team building philosophy in the draft even if they keep all 3 picks (e.g. LB or safety unlikely, could see a CB, though)
  • Reagor is going to be JJAW 2.0 next year: buried and asked to contribute in other ways to try and earn his way back (and JJAW will be gone)
  • Not going to spend big on a WR in FA (referred to Quez 3x as a bona fide "#2 WR")
  • Didn't trade Cox because the teams calling about him wanted us to eat too much of the contract
  • They didn't bring Brooks off IR because Brooks indicated he wanted to be sure to go into the off-season healthy (so he's either contemplating retirement or expects to get cut and wants to maximize his next contract)

• Howie thinks Jalen proved he is the guy going into next year and they want to build around him...unless something unexpected happens; Sirianni kept saying "Jalen is our starter" but unsaid seemed to be "...based on the players currently on this team" or "...but not our cornerstone/franchise guy" (my read: QB in the draft isn't likely but if they acquire a QB Jalen will either be part of that deal, or will be dealt)
  • Sirianni danced around whether all coaches would be retained (assuming they don't get promoted elsewhere) and is probably going to make some coaching changes (I think Michael Clay is gone)
  • Howie is going to stick to the team building philosophy in the draft even if they keep all 3 picks (e.g. LB or safety unlikely, could see a CB, though)
  • Reagor is going to be JJAW 2.0 next year: buried and asked to contribute in other ways to try and earn his way back (and JJAW will be gone)
  • Not going to spend big on a WR in FA (referred to Quez 3x as a bona fide "#2 WR")
  • Didn't trade Cox because the teams calling about him wanted us to eat too much of the contract
  • They didn't bring Brooks off IR because Brooks indicated he wanted to be sure to go into the off-season healthy (so he's either contemplating retirement or expects to get cut and wants to maximize his next contract)
This was exactly my take on things, as well.

Glad to hear Howie indicate he believes we are still in "build mode" and seemed to have learned his lesson the hard way from trying to keep the band together after the Super Bowl win. I didn't like the non-committal answer about using draft picks to trade for Watson/Russ/whoever. That just strikes me as such a Howie move, and such a bone-headed move, given the dearth of young talent on D and the cap situation.

I liked Siri's take on Hurts' off-season. I know there is a lot of talk about Hurts' ability to read Defenses and how that won't get better. I disagree. I am no football scout, and there are guys in here who know way more than me about X's and O's, but my gut tells me the game is still just too fast for him. There are still way too many things going on in his head, and I think that gets better with more reps, more experience and a full off-season. His arm strength is still subpar, but some of those wide open misses he made downfield would be better throws if he had made the read earlier. I am not sold on him long-term, either, but I like him as the starter for next year. And hopefully, Howie can make some trades to get us more draft picks in 2023 when there are better QB options.

Gotta take everything Howie said with a grain of salt for the future. He has to answer a certain way to avoid any controversy. 

I do like that they recognize Watkins as the 2. Personally I thought he showed a lot of growth from his rookie season. He’s fast, plays big and I don’t recall him dropping many passes. If he continues to grow we have a nice duo with him and Smith. 

I didn’t think Sirianni danced around the coaching question IIRC. I thought he just said he didn’t meet with everyone yet, which is fair. 

Shouldn’t surprise anyone about Reagor though. He’s cheap and young. No one will trace for him so he’ll just hurry himself on the roster I’m assuming. 

• Reagor

is going to be JJAW 2.0 next year: buried and asked to contribute in other ways to try and earn his way back (and JJAW will be gone)
Great stuff as always Noid.  What are the chances of Cox back next year in your opinion?

Gotta take everything Howie said with a grain of salt for the future. He has to answer a certain way to avoid any controversy. 

I do like that they recognize Watkins as the 2. Personally I thought he showed a lot of growth from his rookie season. He’s fast, plays big and I don’t recall him dropping many passes. If he continues to grow we have a nice duo with him and Smith. 

I didn’t think Sirianni danced around the coaching question IIRC. I thought he just said he didn’t meet with everyone yet, which is fair. 

Shouldn’t surprise anyone about Reagor though. He’s cheap and young. No one will trace for him so he’ll just hurry himself on the roster I’m assuming. 
I thought I read that it would cost more against the cap to cut Reagor than keep him.  I'd rather save the cap space and give him JJAW's minutes than take a cap hit by cutting him. I never want to see him return another punt though. :wall:

Agree here.  It's crazy how fast people's opinion on coaches change.  Earlier in the year people were saying Sirianni could/should be one-and-done here, and then later in the year he was discussed as possible COY.  We all loved Gannon too, and then a couple bad games and people wanted him gone.  I would love to keep him, but sounds like he's gone. 

That's the bad thing about coaching.... as soon as you find a good one and try to build around him, they leave and you start fresh.  Do you actually WANT your co-ordinator to be amazing and viewed as amazing around the league?  Or would you rather him be average to good, where he will stick around for a while.  It's tough.

Agree here.  It's crazy how fast people's opinion on coaches change.  Earlier in the year people were saying Sirianni could/should be one-and-done here, and then later in the year he was discussed as possible COY.  We all loved Gannon too, and then a couple bad games and people wanted him gone.  I would love to keep him, but sounds like he's gone. 

That's the bad thing about coaching.... as soon as you find a good one and try to build around him, they leave and you start fresh.  Do you actually WANT your co-ordinator to be amazing and viewed as amazing around the league?  Or would you rather him be average to good, where he will stick around for a while.  It's tough.

Did anyone really love Gannon?

Great stuff as always Noid.  What are the chances of Cox back next year in your opinion?
Because of the restructure they did in September to free up space for 2021 he would have counted as $37MM in dead money if they traded him this year. The dead money goes down to $24MM if they trade him in 2022 (after June 1, so a draft day deal is probably not happening) or cut him (either before June 1 and designate him as Post-June 1 cut, or wait and do it after).

That's still a bunch of dead money so I think they try and see if he can give them one more "good, but maybe he returns closer to form than 2021" season. Might even be more apt to do that if Gannon leaves and they want to see what a new Defense/DC might do for him. 

2023 is where things open up. You can either keep him for $12.7MM or cut/trade him (after June 1) to save $1.5MM and take $11.2 in dead money.

Maybe love was the wrong word, but I think many were happy with him down the stretch considering the talent he had to work with.  
I get the talent isn't ideal but I also see the point of some questioning how "great" of a DC you are if your success is predicated on having really good talent. Any decent DC should be able to succeed with great talent. A great DC should be able to get success from the talent he has.

All the talk the coaches did about maximizing what the players do well didn't quite play out on defense. On offense, it took 7 games before Sirianni started to actually do that when he leaned into the running game. I can't think of anything Gannon did significantly different in Game 18 than Game 1. A few times he came into second halves with new things and adjustments, but then the next week he went right back to coming in with the same old game plan.

I'm on record since early on that his "Keep everything in front of you and wait for them to make mistakes" philosophy was not my cup of tea. It didn't work great early (as even bad QBs lit us up like HOF'ers) and then as the season went on it worked much better against the iffy QBs we faced on the back stretch of our schedule. But, then came the payoffs where those cupcakes are gone. Going into TB with the plan of having Slay NOT shadow Evans AND when he did have him covering him he had him playing way off was maddening. Have him play man and press on the only WR weapon Brady has available! 

So either he had the wrong guys for the defensive "approach" (remember, he doesn't have a scheme) he wanted to take and didn't want to waver from that, or he felt he had the right guys to run it and just didn't have success with it (against competent offenses.) In either case, that's reason enough for me to be "meh" on him. Not trying to drive him out of Philly with an angry mob and torches, but I won't be upset if he gets poached for a HC job. 

Did anyone really love Gannon?

Maybe love was the wrong word, but I think many were happy with him down the stretch considering the talent he had to work with.  
It’s a “Philly tough we blitz and kill you grrrrrr” style that people love. These same people ABSOLUTELY HATED Swartz for leaving the DB’s one on one to get smoked and double moved on over and over and over again. Think of how often you heard our DB’s names last year compared to this year. 

I don’t know if Gannon will be good or not but I know we can’t keep doing what we did with McDemott and Bowles over and over and over and expect the defense to magically be good despite having a couple good players. Defense is WAY HARDER to coach than offense in todays game and when you look at each side of the ball the differences in talent are MASSIVE. We have two of the best tackles in the league. Arguably the best center, one of the better rookie guards, one of the better RB’s and TE. On defense we have Slay, who is having his best year under Gannon. Who else would you say is amongst the best in the game at their respected positions? 

Swartz, who was a seasoned DC with HC experience gave up 418 points with essentially the same players. Gannon gave up 385 WITH an extra game. 

We all watched the same TB game. If Evans is held to zero catches for zero yards we still get smoked.  We. Didn’t. Score. Brady carved us up by hitting a bunch of different players. Guys like Maddux who looked great looked ordinary and that’s what happens when real talent meets average talent. Scheme can not hide that many deficiencies. It can mask some but not all the ones we have. He’s the GOAT for a reason and it’s not easy to cover Evans. If it were his numbers wouldn’t look like they did this season.

So either he had the wrong guys for the defensive "approach" (remember, he doesn't have a scheme) he wanted to take and didn't want to waver from that, or he felt he had the right guys to run it and just didn't have success with it (against competent offenses.) In either case, that's reason enough for me to be "meh" on him. Not trying to drive him out of Philly with an angry mob and torches, but I won't be upset if he gets poached for a HC job. 
Theres no “remember he doesn’t have a scheme”. Tape has shown what his scheme is regardless of what coach speak says. 

We know this scheme relies on LBers to cover ground and make plays. We don’t have them. Scheme also calls for DL to win and they don’t. Tape shows this too. Why run that scheme than? See last years Eagles. 

:bye:  2021. 

2022 topic is now open.
Just wanted to take a moment to say thanks, to you and others of years past, for maintaining a yearly topic/thread dedicated to my favorite team. I only post occasionally but read almost every page, every year. I appreciate everyone who posts and comments, even Cowboys fans.

I need to thank Joe & FBG also for providing the vehicle in which we all travel each year in united passion. Being an Eagles fan for over 50 years, I never could have imagined in my youth that something like this forum and being able to connect with other Eagles fans from all over the world would be possible, yet here we are.

🏈 Thanks again to everyone! 🏈

Users who are viewing this thread