What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (28 Viewers)

Actually Holmes hitting on some of his later round picks has over shadowed some questionable early picks.

Drafted four injury prone/injured players in Levi Onwuzurike, Jameson Williams, Josh Paschal and James Mitchell - but I don't think he's had too many whiffs on talent evaluation. Alim McNeil is a very good DT. The DBs (Ifeatu Melifonwu and Kirby Joseph) are still in the evaluation phase. Barnes was a day three pick so not really part of this conversation.

Penei was a home run and the best pick for the team at that stage. Aidan looks like he'll be very good if he stays healthy. ARSB and Malcolm Rodriguez are both terrific.

Holmes has 20 years in NFL scouting, in my opinion he's a better talent evaluator than any Lions GM of the Super Bowl era. Low bar but it's pretty hard to argue anyone else is close.

Actually Holmes hitting on some of his later round picks has over shadowed some questionable early picks.

Drafted four injury prone/injured players in Levi Onwuzurike, Jameson Williams, Josh Paschal and James Mitchell - but I don't think he's had too many whiffs on talent evaluation. Alim McNeil is a very good DT. The DBs (Ifeatu Melifonwu and Kirby Joseph) are still in the evaluation phase. Barnes was a day three pick so not really part of this conversation.

Penei was a home run and the best pick for the team at that stage. Aidan looks like he'll be very good if he stays healthy. ARSB and Malcolm Rodriguez are both terrific.

Holmes has 20 years in NFL scouting, in my opinion he's a better talent evaluator than any Lions GM of the Super Bowl era. Low bar but it's pretty hard to argue anyone else is close.

I agree, but when you draft injured players you are rolling the dice. Levi was always hurt in college.

If you are picking in the top 10 those picks should be part of the teams core.

Still think Holmes is the right guy for the job by far. With the Rams Holmes gave the GM a list of ranked players and the GM made the final decision what direction to go.

Now Holmes has to make that last call so it is different.

Game 1 I don't blame on Campbell. Game 3 I do. A 54-yarder with a not very good FG kicker that provides marginal benefit, but puts the opponents in great position to win was about as boneheaded move as there was. We need to improve on clock management also. Dan really needs hire someone to advise him. I think he made that decision by the seat of his pants without thinking it through. I love his aggressiveness but he needs help on managing the game better.

As Moonlight indicated, the Lions are #1 in points allowed. Until they improve on defense it's not going to make much difference what the rest of the team and coaches do.

I agree, but when you draft injured players you are rolling the dice. Levi was always hurt in college.

Still think Holmes is the right guy for the job by far. With the Rams Holmes gave the GM a list of ranked players and the GM made the final decision what direction to go.

Are you going to argue he isn't stacking draft classes?

Nobody gets 100% of their calls right. Not only has he gotten good overall value from the draft, he's also been above average in picking up contributors from the UDFA pile. Those are even harder to hit on and both years we've gotten contributions from rookie UDFAs and former UDFAs.

Honestly, I find it hard to understand you ripping on Brad Holmes.

Nobody gets 100% of their calls right. Not only has he gotten good overall value from the draft, he's also been above average in picking up contributors from the UDFA pile. Those are even harder to hit on and both years we've gotten contributions from rookie UDFAs and former UDFAs.

Ripping? I said he is the right guy for the job by far. I just stated the job is different when you are driving the bus.

Holmes has done a good job so far. DC is the one who is getting roasted on NFL Network and ESPN by the pundits for his game management.

Snap counts Detroit Lions' Week 3 contest against the Minnesota Vikings.

Offense

Quarterbacks

• Jared Goff: (78) 100%
The Lions ran eight more offensive snaps than in Week 2.

Detroit's signal-caller expressed postgame he wished he would have requested to stay on the field on fourth down, instead of the team trying a field. He expressed Dan Campbell would have allowed the offense to try and earn a first down.

Running backs
  • Jamaal Williams: (35) 45%
  • D'Andre Swift: (32) 41%
  • Craig Reynolds: (13) 17% -- Eight special teams snaps (29%)
  • Justin Jackson -- 16 special teams snaps (57%)
Running back D'Andre Swift played 41% of Detroit's offensive snaps, down from 51% in Week 2.

Tight ends
  • T.J. Hockenson: (59) 76%
  • Brock Wright: (30) 38% -- 11 special teams snaps (39%)
  • Shane Zylstra: (3) 4% -- 11 special teams snaps (39%)
Wide receivers
  • DJ Chark: (62) 79%
  • Josh Reynolds: (62) 79%
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown: (57) 73%
  • Kalif Raymond: (13) 17% -- Three special teams snap (11%)
  • Quintez Cephus: (10) 13% -- 11 special teams snaps (39%)

Amon-Ra St. Brown was not able to break an NFL record, as he was not able to secure eight or more receptions against the Vikings.

Despite rolling his angle, the talented wideout remained in the Week 3 game on the road.

Offensive linemen
  • Dan Skipper: (78) 100% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Penei Sewell: (78) 100% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Evan Brown: (78) 100% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Taylor Decker: (78) 100%
  • Frank Ragnow: (78) 100%
  • Matt Nelson: (14) 18% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Kawode Awosika: Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Logan Stenberg: Six special teams snaps (21%)
Defense

Defensive linemen

• Charles Harris -- (66) 92% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Alim McNeill: (58) 81%
  • Aidan Hutchinson: (57) 79% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Isaiah Buggs: (38) 53%
  • Austin Bryant: (19) 26% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Michael Brockers: (19) 26%
  • Benito Jones: (13) 18% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
Linebackers
  • Alex Anzalone: (71) 99% -- Six special teams snaps (21%)
  • Malcolm Rodriguez: (55) 76% -- Three special teams snaps (11%)
  • Chris Board: (23) 32% -- 22 special teams snaps (79%)
  • Julian Okwara: (20) 28%
  • Anthony Pittman: (2) 3% -- 22 special teams snaps (79%)
  • Josh Woods: 16 special teams snaps (57%)
  • Derrick Barnes: 13 special teams snaps (46%)
For the second consecutive week, Derrick Barnes did not see any defensive snaps at linebacker, as his role was reserved for primarily on special teams.

Alex Anzalone played 99% of defensive snaps against the Vikings.

Defensive backs
  • DeShon Elliott: (72) 100%
  • Jeff Okudah: (72) 100%
  • Amani Oruwariye: (71) 99%
  • JuJu Hughes: (63) 88% -- 21 special teams snaps (66%)
  • Mike Hughes: (44) 61% -- 10 special teams snap (36%)
  • Will Harris: (20) 28% -- 17 special teams snaps (61%)
  • Tracy Walker: (8) 11% -- One special teams snaps (4%)
  • Bobby Price: 22 special teams snaps (79%)
  • Kerby Joseph: 14 special teams snaps (50%)
Jeff Okudah played 100% of defensive snaps Sunday.

His recovery from a severe Achilles injury could not be going better, as Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson did not have much of an impact in Week 3.

Safety Tracy Walker was forced out of the game due to an ankle injury. He was limited to eight defensive snaps and one special teams play prior to leaving the game.

Special teams
  • Austin Seibert: 11 special teams snaps (39%)
  • Jack Fox: Nine special teams snaps (32%)
  • Scott Daly: Nine special teams snaps (32%)

Ripping? I said he is the right guy for the job by far. I just stated the job is different when you are driving the bus.

Holmes has done a good job so far. DC is the one who is getting roasted on NFL Network and ESPN by the pundits for his game management.

Fair enough.

You're bringing a lot of negative energy directed at the one guy in the organization who is crushing his job.

Plenty of things to ***** about after a loss like that, but Brad Holmes shouldn't be one of them.

@davebirkett

D’Andre Swift wasn’t using his left arm much in the locker room after the game, looked like he might have got treatment on his shoulder. And Josh Reynolds suffered a low ankle sprain. Lions offense can be really good, but also dealing with lots of injuries right now.

All teams have injuries, just part of the NFL. O line has been stepping up despite the starters missing 40% of possible starts.

Quintez Cephus can step in for Josh Reynolds. Swift should not be playing again until he's healthy. They have other capable running backs.

Tracy Walker might be out for the year. That's going to be a challenge. if Jerry Jacobs comes back Week 5 that will help as they shift guys around. Thought Iffy would be back by now

Good things from yesterday’s game:
  • Offensive Line
  • Jared Goff
  • 4th Down Play Calling Q1-3
  • Jeff Okudah
  • Jamaal Williams
Everything else was BAD:
  • Defense as a whole
  • Sloppy tackling
  • Austin Seibert
  • Jack Fox (worst game as a pro IMO)
  • Special teams as a whole
  • QB Pressure (only sack was AA on a blitz)
  • Injuries
  • Clock Management
  • Coaching

Week 3 Detroit Lions report card.

Quarterback: A​

Two things that have frustrated me about Jared Goff as an overall quarterback has been his inability to handle pressure and his overall accuracy. Goff didn’t have a problem with either on Sunday against the Vikings. Several times, he got himself out of trouble with pressure coming out of his way, and I can really only think of maybe one of his 41 passing attempts being a true misfire.

Goff’s best play came in the third quarter, facing a fourth-and-2. The Vikings ran a stunt that had Za’Darius Smith running free right up the a-gap. Goff casually sidestepped the pressure, calmly kept his eyes downfield, rolled to his left, and found a wide-open Josh Reynolds for the conversion.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff essentially took the ball out of his hands in the fourth quarter. Prior to the final desperation drive, Goff threw the ball just four times in the final quarter, choosing to try to put the game away on the ground with 14 rushing attempts that went for a total of 47 yards.

Running backs: B​

Jamaal Williams played valiantly as the feature back ahead of the beat-up D’Andre Swift. Not only did he find the end zone twice and average a solid 4.4 yards per carry, but he turned two receiving targets into two catches for 20 yards, including a big 17-yard gain.

However, the Lions’ running game was defined by its explosiveness in the first two weeks of the season, and that was clearly missing on Sunday without a healthy Swift. Their longest run of the game was 15 yards.

Craig Reynolds did not make a particularly good case for RB3, averaging a paltry 2.2 yards per carry on six attempts. If Swift remains out, the Lions should seriously consider giving Justin Jackson—a far more explosive back—some looks.

Tight ends: C+​

T.J. Hockenson scored a touchdown in this game, but continues to underwhelm overall. He came up short on a third-and-8 attempt early in the game, and on the ensuing fourth-and-1, he created zero separation from linebacker Eric Kendricks, who batted the ball away. He would add just one other reception for the day.

That said, I thought this was one of the better blocking games for the entire tight end crew, and that showed up both in pass protection and in the run game.

Wide receivers: B​

There weren’t any noticeable drops from this group, and Goff did a good job spreading the ball around to feed each of his receivers. Amon-Ra St. Brown had six catches, as did Josh Reynolds. DJ Chark added three, including two on the opening drive for 40 yards.

However, St. Brown’s lower-body injury in the second quarter clearly deflated this entire position group. When Detroit needed someone to seriously step up in the second half, no one did. Reynolds did have three catches for 67 yards in the second half, but DJ Chark and Kalif Raymond were shut out.

Offensive line: A-​

Zero sacks and just two quarterback hits for the Vikings on Sunday. That alone is an impressive feat against a Vikings team that had racked up seven sacks and 11 QB hits in the first two games of the season. Goff deserves some of that credit, but the offensive line certainly deserves a fair share, too.

While the run blocking wasn’t quite as dominant as it was in the first two weeks, it certainly opened up opportunities for the backs to have a somewhat successful game against Minnesota.

Defensive line: F​

Last week, the defensive line was arguably the star of the defense. Aidan Hutchinson put up three sacks, and the interior defenders earned the game ball from the coaching staff for their gritty work in the run game.

On Sunday, they took a huge step back. Detroit could not create any pressure with their four-man fronts, and the Vikings ran wild on Detroit. While oftentimes the defensive line did their job on the playside of Vikings runs, they were completely undisciplined on the backside, allowing Dalvin Cook to reverse field or cut back for big gains.

Linebackers: C-​

Alex Anzalone led the team with 10 tackles, two quarterback hits, and the team’s only sack of the game. Malcolm Rodriguez wasn’t far behind with his eight tackles.

But there were a lot of missed tackles from this unit, and Rodriguez again gave up a big play in the passing game when Irv Smith Jr. slipped behind him.

Secondary: D​

Jeff Okudah deserves a ton of praise from shutting down Justin Jefferson to the tune of three catches for 14 yards on six targets. Sure, he had help over the top most of the time, but he put up a heck of a fight on his own.

However, it’s hard to celebrate his performance when it meant little in terms of how the game played out. With Jefferson blanketed, Kirk Cousins opted to target his other two primary receivers, and no one else in the Lions secondary could stop K.J. Osborn or Adam Thielen. Those two combined for 11 catches on 16 attempts for 134 yards and two touchdowns. Another way to put that is to say that when targeting those two, Cousins put up a passer rating of 133.9. And that’s not even factoring in the six penalties on Amani Oruwariye.

Unfortunately, despite all of that, the Lions secondary still had a chance to win the game at the end, and, instead, they left Osborn wide open on back-to-back plays, resulting in the game-winning score.

Special teams: D​

Let’s run down the rap sheet here:
  • Missed a 48-yard field goal
  • Missed a critical 54-yard field goal
  • 39-yard punt from Jack Fox, resulting in the Vikings starting at their own 43-yard line (MIN would score a TD on that drive)
  • Kalif Raymond lets a punt bounce at the 31-yard line and it rolls all the way to the 9, costing Detroit at least 22 yards of field position
There was some good mixed in there, too. Fox pinned the Vikings at their own 8-yard line. Detroit’s kick coverage remains excellent, holding Minnesota inside their own 25-yard line on three of four kicks from normal distance (not including the kickoff after the bogus Jamaal Williams penalty).

But that good was overshadowed by the kicking mistakes.

Coaching: D-​

It would be easy to give the coaching staff an F—and pretty justified, too—after Campbell’s awful decisions undoubtedly hurt the team at the end of the game. There is no defending his decision to attempt a 54-yard field goal at the end of the game when both punting and going for it were far better options.

However, we do also have to point out that Campbell’s aggression is what got the Lions a two-score lead in the first place. All four of the team’s fourth-down conversions eventually led to points. Going for it on fourth-and-5 early in the game led to Detroit’s first touchdown drive. They scored again after back-to-back, fourth-and-1 conversions. Some of those were obvious decisions to go for, but many other coaches would’ve opted to punt. Without those decisions, the Lions may have never led in this game to begin with.

Of course, that’s what makes Campbell’s decision to kick a field goal in the game’s most important moment all that more frustrating. He reverted to a shell in the worst moment and put the game on one of the team’s most unreliable players’ hands. Sorry, Seibert, but the kicking game has been bad since training camp. That miss was not a surprise.

There are other gripes in this game, too. Campbell’s decision to call a timeout in the middle of the Vikings’ go-ahead drive is hard to explain. The Lions head coach defended that decision, saying he wanted to give the team’s pass rush a breather, but that was literally two plays into the drive. Instead, he gave the Vikings time to settle down, call a good play, and score the game-winner right out of the timeout.

There was also some questionable offensive play calling on critical downs, specifically two in the fourth quarter. On a third-and-1, the Lions opted to take a deep shot to Josh Reynolds. On a failed fourth-and-1 conversion, Detroit ran a slow-developing counter to Jamaal Williams rather than just trying to run power and use their biggest strength—their offensive line—to just overpower the Vikings.

Those were moments the Lions could have put the game away, but coaching got in the way, squandering yet another solid performance from the offense.

Week 3 Detroit Lions report card.

Quarterback: A​

Two things that have frustrated me about Jared Goff as an overall quarterback has been his inability to handle pressure and his overall accuracy. Goff didn’t have a problem with either on Sunday against the Vikings. Several times, he got himself out of trouble with pressure coming out of his way, and I can really only think of maybe one of his 41 passing attempts being a true misfire.

Goff’s best play came in the third quarter, facing a fourth-and-2. The Vikings ran a stunt that had Za’Darius Smith running free right up the a-gap. Goff casually sidestepped the pressure, calmly kept his eyes downfield, rolled to his left, and found a wide-open Josh Reynolds for the conversion.

Unfortunately, the coaching staff essentially took the ball out of his hands in the fourth quarter. Prior to the final desperation drive, Goff threw the ball just four times in the final quarter, choosing to try to put the game away on the ground with 14 rushing attempts that went for a total of 47 yards.

Running backs: B​

Jamaal Williams played valiantly as the feature back ahead of the beat-up D’Andre Swift. Not only did he find the end zone twice and average a solid 4.4 yards per carry, but he turned two receiving targets into two catches for 20 yards, including a big 17-yard gain.

However, the Lions’ running game was defined by its explosiveness in the first two weeks of the season, and that was clearly missing on Sunday without a healthy Swift. Their longest run of the game was 15 yards.

Craig Reynolds did not make a particularly good case for RB3, averaging a paltry 2.2 yards per carry on six attempts. If Swift remains out, the Lions should seriously consider giving Justin Jackson—a far more explosive back—some looks.

Tight ends: C+​

T.J. Hockenson scored a touchdown in this game, but continues to underwhelm overall. He came up short on a third-and-8 attempt early in the game, and on the ensuing fourth-and-1, he created zero separation from linebacker Eric Kendricks, who batted the ball away. He would add just one other reception for the day.

That said, I thought this was one of the better blocking games for the entire tight end crew, and that showed up both in pass protection and in the run game.

Wide receivers: B​

There weren’t any noticeable drops from this group, and Goff did a good job spreading the ball around to feed each of his receivers. Amon-Ra St. Brown had six catches, as did Josh Reynolds. DJ Chark added three, including two on the opening drive for 40 yards.

However, St. Brown’s lower-body injury in the second quarter clearly deflated this entire position group. When Detroit needed someone to seriously step up in the second half, no one did. Reynolds did have three catches for 67 yards in the second half, but DJ Chark and Kalif Raymond were shut out.

Offensive line: A-​

Zero sacks and just two quarterback hits for the Vikings on Sunday. That alone is an impressive feat against a Vikings team that had racked up seven sacks and 11 QB hits in the first two games of the season. Goff deserves some of that credit, but the offensive line certainly deserves a fair share, too.

While the run blocking wasn’t quite as dominant as it was in the first two weeks, it certainly opened up opportunities for the backs to have a somewhat successful game against Minnesota.

Defensive line: F​

Last week, the defensive line was arguably the star of the defense. Aidan Hutchinson put up three sacks, and the interior defenders earned the game ball from the coaching staff for their gritty work in the run game.

On Sunday, they took a huge step back. Detroit could not create any pressure with their four-man fronts, and the Vikings ran wild on Detroit. While oftentimes the defensive line did their job on the playside of Vikings runs, they were completely undisciplined on the backside, allowing Dalvin Cook to reverse field or cut back for big gains.

Linebackers: C-​

Alex Anzalone led the team with 10 tackles, two quarterback hits, and the team’s only sack of the game. Malcolm Rodriguez wasn’t far behind with his eight tackles.

But there were a lot of missed tackles from this unit, and Rodriguez again gave up a big play in the passing game when Irv Smith Jr. slipped behind him.

Secondary: D​

Jeff Okudah deserves a ton of praise from shutting down Justin Jefferson to the tune of three catches for 14 yards on six targets. Sure, he had help over the top most of the time, but he put up a heck of a fight on his own.

However, it’s hard to celebrate his performance when it meant little in terms of how the game played out. With Jefferson blanketed, Kirk Cousins opted to target his other two primary receivers, and no one else in the Lions secondary could stop K.J. Osborn or Adam Thielen. Those two combined for 11 catches on 16 attempts for 134 yards and two touchdowns. Another way to put that is to say that when targeting those two, Cousins put up a passer rating of 133.9. And that’s not even factoring in the six penalties on Amani Oruwariye.

Unfortunately, despite all of that, the Lions secondary still had a chance to win the game at the end, and, instead, they left Osborn wide open on back-to-back plays, resulting in the game-winning score.

Special teams: D​

Let’s run down the rap sheet here:
  • Missed a 48-yard field goal
  • Missed a critical 54-yard field goal
  • 39-yard punt from Jack Fox, resulting in the Vikings starting at their own 43-yard line (MIN would score a TD on that drive)
  • Kalif Raymond lets a punt bounce at the 31-yard line and it rolls all the way to the 9, costing Detroit at least 22 yards of field position
There was some good mixed in there, too. Fox pinned the Vikings at their own 8-yard line. Detroit’s kick coverage remains excellent, holding Minnesota inside their own 25-yard line on three of four kicks from normal distance (not including the kickoff after the bogus Jamaal Williams penalty).

But that good was overshadowed by the kicking mistakes.

Coaching: D-​

It would be easy to give the coaching staff an F—and pretty justified, too—after Campbell’s awful decisions undoubtedly hurt the team at the end of the game. There is no defending his decision to attempt a 54-yard field goal at the end of the game when both punting and going for it were far better options.

However, we do also have to point out that Campbell’s aggression is what got the Lions a two-score lead in the first place. All four of the team’s fourth-down conversions eventually led to points. Going for it on fourth-and-5 early in the game led to Detroit’s first touchdown drive. They scored again after back-to-back, fourth-and-1 conversions. Some of those were obvious decisions to go for, but many other coaches would’ve opted to punt. Without those decisions, the Lions may have never led in this game to begin with.

Of course, that’s what makes Campbell’s decision to kick a field goal in the game’s most important moment all that more frustrating. He reverted to a shell in the worst moment and put the game on one of the team’s most unreliable players’ hands. Sorry, Seibert, but the kicking game has been bad since training camp. That miss was not a surprise.

There are other gripes in this game, too. Campbell’s decision to call a timeout in the middle of the Vikings’ go-ahead drive is hard to explain. The Lions head coach defended that decision, saying he wanted to give the team’s pass rush a breather, but that was literally two plays into the drive. Instead, he gave the Vikings time to settle down, call a good play, and score the game-winner right out of the timeout.

There was also some questionable offensive play calling on critical downs, specifically two in the fourth quarter. On a third-and-1, the Lions opted to take a deep shot to Josh Reynolds. On a failed fourth-and-1 conversion, Detroit ran a slow-developing counter to Jamaal Williams rather than just trying to run power and use their biggest strength—their offensive line—to just overpower the Vikings.

Those were moments the Lions could have put the game away, but coaching got in the way, squandering yet another solid performance from the offense.

Great assessment. I totally agree with Justin Jackson. Give him a chance with Swift limping around. A little bit too harsh on the D Line, but it was a disappointing effort.

MCDC film review:
  • Defensively we needed to do a good job on Jefferson and we did that
  • Thielen got us a little bit & we didn’t shut down Cook
  • Created a turnover but didn’t capitalize
  • Did well on third down but didn’t get them to 3rd often enough
  • Offensively has explosive plays but third down conversions weren’t on par
WRT Swift - the shoulder could be an issue, thinking about giving him a few weeks off to get above 75% ready for a game & be able to get to a point where he’s taking practice reps during the week.

3rd & 1 to Reynolds - no regrets on the call

4th & 4 FGA - the injuries to ARSB & Swift factored into the decision process. In hindsight should have trusted Goff & the offense.

Seibert is a little sore today; guess he’s injured again.

What happens early in the season molds how your season goes - you’re always going to have adversity.

Justin Rogers noted they were snapping the ball with 10 to 15 seconds left on the playclock in the 4th Q. DC said they don’t like to mess up the rhythm of the offense or have the linemen set for too long.

No plans to move Harris back to S with Walker out, they like him better at Corner.

Ravens game last year - Baltimore was out of timeouts, Lions got sacks on 1st and 3rd down. Campbell calls timeout before 4th and 19. Coming out of timeout, Watkins catches a 36 yarder that sets up Tucker’s record FG.

(though not before non-calls on consecutive plays - play clock ran out, then the Baltimore OL didn’t get set)

Yesterday Minnesota completed a 28 yard, deep crossing pattern to KJ Osborn. Vikings were rushing down to spike the ball because they were out of timeouts. But Campbell bails them out by calling timeout for them. Post timeout, the defense leaves KJ Osborn completely unaccounted for, 28 yard TD.

It’s hard to defend MCDC when he repeats the same mistake. It’s hard to feel like this regime will be any different when yesterday was the same classic “Lions turtle up & lose it” we’ve been watching for decades.

Glenn has had the defense come out very aggressive two weeks in a row, bringing pressure wile playing man. Two weeks in a row it seems like they reverted to mostly 4 man rush and playing zone. From aggressive to passive.

Is that oversimplifying what happens when our defense goes from being suffocating to unable to get off the field?

For awhile yesterday I allowed myself to think we were going to finish off Minnesota. Weak Seattle team at home, then a chance go 4-1 against an average Patriots team.

Go into the bye 4-1, talk of the NFL, with three tough games upcoming: @ Cowboys, Dolphins & Packers at home.

Instead we wake up the same place we’ve been for five consecutive seasons: last place.

Ravens game last year - Baltimore was out of timeouts, Lions got sacks on 1st and 3rd down. Campbell calls timeout before 4th and 19. Coming out of timeout, Watkins catches a 36 yarder that sets up Tucker’s record FG.

(though not before non-calls on consecutive plays - play clock ran out, then the Baltimore OL didn’t get set)

Yesterday Minnesota completed a 28 yard, deep crossing pattern to KJ Osborn. Vikings were rushing down to spike the ball because they were out of timeouts. But Campbell bails them out by calling timeout for them. Post timeout, the defense leaves KJ Osborn completely unaccounted for, 28 yard TD.

It’s hard to defend MCDC when he repeats the same mistake. It’s hard to feel like this regime will be any different when yesterday was the same classic “Lions turtle up & lose it” we’ve been watching for decades.

Glenn has had the defense come out very aggressive two weeks in a row, bringing pressure wile playing man. Two weeks in a row it seems like they reverted to mostly 4 man rush and playing zone. From aggressive to passive.

Is that oversimplifying what happens when our defense goes from being suffocating to unable to get off the field?

For awhile yesterday I allowed myself to think we were going to finish off Minnesota. Weak Seattle team at home, then a chance go 4-1 against an average Patriots team.

Go into the bye 4-1, talk of the NFL, with three tough games upcoming: @ Cowboys, Dolphins & Packers at home.

Instead we wake up the same place we’ve been for five consecutive seasons: last place.
Not going to argue with any of that. But to me it's now like 2 weeks ago. Go out and beat a team you should be able to beat. 2-2 for a 3-13-1 team isn't the worst thing out there. But now they have to win. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

Last edited:
Liked Goff taking some of the heat from Campbell saying he should have pleaded to Campbell to go for it on 4th down. Campbell has had Goff's back and it's good to see it returned by Goff. It is also Goff stating he needs to be a better leader.

As has been stated in this thread nobody makes all the best decisions or draft choices all of the time you just need to hit higher %s than your opponents.

It's a step forward for Campbell to admit he made a mistake on the 4th down call.

But did he address the time out call? Lions did it in the first GB game last year, the Baltimore game last year, the Eagles and Vikes game this year. On each occasion the other team was able to score points in spite or because of it.

I understand Campbell going for it on 4th down so much because the defense is still just bad. Aaron Glenn isn't getting any head coaching jobs based on current performance.

Viking O line except for Ingram had good OL PFF grades. Christian Darrisaw OT score was superb 89.4 grade.

Hutch's score was in the 52 and Rodrigo was 35.

Liked Goff taking some of the heat from Campbell saying he should have pleaded to Campbell to go for it on 4th down. Campbell has had Goff's back and it's good to see it returned by Goff. It is also Goff stating he needs to be a better leader.

As has been stated in this thread nobody makes all the best decisions or draft choices all of the time you just need to hit higher %s than your opponents.

It's a step forward for Campbell to admit he made a mistake on the 4th down call.

But did he address the time out call? Lions did it in the first GB game last year, the Baltimore game last year, the Eagles and Vikes game this year. On each occasion the other team was able to score points in spite or because of it.

I understand Campbell going for it on 4th down so much because the defense is still just bad. Aaron Glenn isn't getting any head coaching jobs based on current performance.

I am much more worried about losing Ben Johnson, Aubrey Pleasent or Hank Fraley.

This is from beat writer Jeremy Reisman:
On the Lions' penultimate drive (with the lead and 7 to 4 minutes left to go), the Lions snapped the ball with between 10-15 seconds on the play clock left with a running clock FIVE times.

Campbell explained the reasons for this
On why he didn't milk all of the play clock on some of the team's late possessions, Campbell says they didn't want to go into 4-minute mode too early and disrupt the rhythm of their offense. Also as part of this read elsewhere that he didn't want the OL in stance too long to avoid penalties.

Taking this into account with Campbell not waiting till the 2 minute warning to run a play vs Philly and the other weird timeouts when teams are driving late on the Lions, it occurred to me that Campbell doesn't focus on the clock but just expects his defense and offense to make plays regardless of the clock.

Not wanting to be super critical of Campbell but its some weird stuff. He's a different dude. I still believe.

One thing until he gets better at managing the clock I think he should continue focus on being Head Coach and avoid the temptation to call the play.

WRT the 4th and 4 FGA

TJ Lang said the goto play for GB in a situation like that was to always run their best (illegal) pick play. Refs do not want to throw a flag at the end of games (e.g. the no call Thielen was pissed about that was called all game) and if they did happen to call it, they would just backup 5 yards and punt it having run a few more seconds off the clock.

Holmes has 20 years in NFL scouting, in my opinion he's a better talent evaluator than any Lions GM of the Super Bowl era. Low bar but it's pretty hard to arg

Fair enough.

You're bringing a lot of negative energy directed at the one guy in the organization who is crushing his job.

Plenty of things to ***** about after a loss like that, but Brad Holmes shouldn't be one of them.

Not bitching about Holmes, just saying if a couple of the second rd picks had panned out it ould have risen the talent level.

Goff is safer than anyone because the lack of a backup so he should speak up. Lions without Goff are doomed to a 3-4 win season. So he does have some power.

Another note Swift is dinged up again. This is starting to be a concern if he can`t stay on the field.

It is a shame because Swift is a talent but just can`t stay healthy.

Agree about Aaron Glenn. Being last in defense will not get Glenn HC job. Coming out of an ill advised TO Lions had a total breakdown in coverage.

Antwaan Randle El optimism modifier:

OL Jonah Jackson
OL Frank Ragnow (optimistic tho)
TE TJ Hockenson
WR Josh Reynolds (day-to-day, optimistic)
D'Andre Swift (day-to-day, not optimistic)
WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (day-to-day, but farther away than Reynolds)
WR DJ Chark they will see if he can go today (saw another tweet Chark did practice.)

John Cominsky, Austin Seibert, Chris Board & Bobby Price DNP

practice report update - 6 starters out

sounds like ARSB & Swift are likely out, everybody else OK. Jonah Jackson nope / not sure about Hock but nothing bc optimistic today either.

Godwin Igwebuike signed to the Seahawks practice squad this week

Is Craig Reynolds’s worth roster consideration for us outsiders? I watched Hard Knocks like the rest of folks and definitely and interesting story but feels like chasing fool’s gold with Williams there. He’s a hot pickup, but is it the uninformed or should more of us be hopping aboard?

Is Craig Reynolds’s worth roster consideration for us outsiders? I watched Hard Knocks like the rest of folks and definitely and interesting story but feels like chasing fool’s gold with Williams there. He’s a hot pickup, but is it the uninformed or should more of us be hopping aboard?

If ASB is out I would take a chance. Hock is dinged too.

I think Justin Jackson is the best remaining back they have, but they need to give him a chance. Clearly the coaches favor Williams and Reynolds, but if Jackson is given some touches, watch out. They will have to get him more involved when he explodes through the holes. Reynolds is capable of showing burst, but he is not as good of a runner as Jackson.

I think Justin Jackson is the best remaining back they have, but they need to give him a chance. Clearly the coaches favor Williams and Reynolds, but if Jackson is given some touches, watch out. They will have to get him more involved when he explodes through the holes. Reynolds is capable of showing burst, but he is not as good of a runner as Jackson.
I didn't know anything about JJ until Lions picked him up. Its interesting that a guy with such a high ypc hasn't been able to stick with a team and have a big role. Maybe his pass protection stinks or he fumbles, I have no idea. But he seemed more dynamic than the other RBs in preseason. I agree I'd like to get him some carries to see if he can do the job.

Amon-Ra St. Brown has not practiced this week. D.J. Chark was limited in practice Wednesday and missed practice Thursday. D'Andre Swift is not expected to play. We should know more Friday.

Amon-Ra St. Brown has not practiced this week. D.J. Chark was limited in practice Wednesday and missed practice Thursday. D'Andre Swift is not expected to play. We should know more Friday.

This could be just the ticket to the kind of week we've been waiting for from TJH...

It is so hard to get excited about this week's game after last week.
I think these next 2 games are very important. If they go 1-4 I am worried about apathy setting in with the fans, kind of like the Tigers but not as bad. I think this is a really big game.

That seems like consensus amongst fans & media. Line came down from (-6) to (-4).

Thankfully the fans/media are not always in sync with the team’s psyche.

I really hope they can bounce back. They are putting their heart into this season, and it was just such a blow to lose a divisional game like that. I had not felt that sick about a game since the Calvin catch/non-catch. I have hopes for the Lions to contend this year, but they had no margins for errors like that.

That seems like consensus amongst fans & media. Line came down from (-6) to (-4).

Thankfully the fans/media are not always in sync with the team’s psyche.

I really hope they can bounce back. They are putting their heart into this season, and it was just such a blow to lose a divisional game like that. I had not felt that sick about a game since the Calvin catch/non-catch. I have hopes for the Lions to contend this year, but they had no margins for errors like that.

I came into the season thinking they’re a 6-7 win team. They’re a tough out, could def see them winning 10-11 games if a) they stay healthy, and b) MCDC stops making questionable decisions or bungling clock management.

They play hard. Want to see evidence they understand what it takes to close out games. Anxious to see how much they utilize Jamo. When the playmakers are healthy they are tough to keep out of the end zone.

But the defense can’t get off the field. Not getting many sacks although statistically their pressure/hurries/QB hits are good. Terrible at gap responsibility, easy to cut back in them & make good yardage.

I like Holmes, he’s a good talent evaluator. MCDC is an easy guy to root for, players buy into his approach, but I’m not sure he’s a good game day coach.

If the defense does not show progress, there needs to be some hard questions at Aaron Glenn's ability. Aubrey Pleasant is the only guy who seems to be getting the most out of his talent.

@Lions

#Lions announce roster moves:

Signed T Dan Skipper and K Dominik Eberle to the Active Roster

Elevated WR Tom Kennedy and WR Maurice Alexander from the Practice Squad to the Active/Inactive List

Waived TE Shane Zylstra and G Drew Forbes

WR DJ Chark has been downgraded to Out

Forbes not a surprise but Zylstra has been an effective blocker in 12 packages. Going into a game with only two TEs (many teams carry four) is a bit risky. Especially with FB Jason Cabinda out.

Has me reconsidering what I thought Ben Johnson’s game plan will be. With two WRs out and a third hobbled I thought they would be going 13 + 12 all day, heavy doses of Williams and Craig Reynolds. Doesn’t seem as likely now.

Happy for Dan Skipper. Pretty sure all of his career games have been practice squad call ups. Still only guarantees 3 more game checks but given he’s played 100% of the snaps at LG the last two weeks he’s almost surely on the roster ROS.

Also interesting Eberle is a 53 man signing. Obviously wouldn’t guarantee 3 G if they thought Seibert were close to returning.

Users who are viewing this thread