What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (2 Viewers)

Regarding "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)", I think the Muppets comment is one of my top 5 favorite Mr. Krista comments from the original thread. 

I mentioned in the other thread that I took the challenge to rank the entire catalogue (my list is actually 205, comprising the original Krista 204 list but ranking the Spector and naked versions of The Long and Winding Road separately). Unless someone says otherwise I'll assume it is best to wait until the very end of these rankings to post anything from my list. 

Regarding "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)", I think the Muppets comment is one of my top 5 favorite Mr. Krista comments from the original thread. 

I mentioned in the other thread that I took the challenge to rank the entire catalogue (my list is actually 205, comprising the original Krista 204 list but ranking the Spector and naked versions of The Long and Winding Road separately). Unless someone says otherwise I'll assume it is best to wait until the very end of these rankings to post anything from my list. 

I'd be happy to hear your rankings and thoughts any time!

Flying
2022 Ranking: 171T
2022 Lists: 1
2022 Points: 1
Ranked Highest by: @Man of Constant Sorrow
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 138T/1/1

Getz: Miss you GB!

Krista4

My 2019 ranking:  166

2019 write-up:

Flying (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Since this is my third attempt at a write-up, I'll keep it short.

I know a lot of people don't appreciate this one, but I find it soothing and could listen to it for hours.  So suck it.

Fun fact:  first song to be credited to all four of the lads.

Mr. krista:  "“[10 seconds in] I like this a million times better [than Fool on the Hill].  I like this one.  I like that song.  I wish it were 20 minutes long.  I like it’s all spacey and surfy in the beginning, like Shadowy Men, like a really extended theme song to a great comedy sketch show.  I like the lalalalalas.  It’s clear it’s transitional music to get from one part of the thing to the other part, but for what it is, it’s great.  It’s excellent sorbet after the ##### sandwich that is Fool on the Hill.”"

Suggested covers:  OMG here it is with Chet Baker on flugelhorn!  But I actually enjoy this one more, though it might be the cover pic of Mr. Rourke(?) and the "zee plane, zee plane" guy that gets me over the finish.

2022 Supplement:  Instead of doing a new write-up myself, I want to post what was written by the person with whom I mostly closely associate this song.  RIP to our lovely Man of Constant Sorrow.  Here’s what he said in 2019, which I think encapsulates him beautifully.

Flying

This song has me from the very first note. I mean that literally.

As soon as I feel the first, I'm flying...

Ellipses. What a wonderfully versatile punctuation. I love em...and often abuse em. 

Flying is the perfect ellipsis. 

As Mr. K excellently notes:

"It's clear it’s transitional music to get from one part of the thing to the other part, but for what it is, it’s great."

However, I submit that it is not merely great, but rather sublimely supreme in what it does. 

1)Walking 

I'm guessing that most here have seen Saturday Night Fever, or at least the part when Travolta walks along the street to Staying Alive. 

Well, scratch that Staying Alive and start Flying instead. It has the perfect gait inducing beat, that will transform your 20-something strut into a laid back shuffle worthy of the Dude. Do the ladies now flail themselves at me?

No...but one will occasionally trip in my wake now...big step up! 👍

2) Dealing with a persistent pest

Ever experience the frustration of debating something...like maybe Beatles tunes... and coming head-to-head with the loudest jackhammer in the place? 

That don't happen here, obviously... 

But, if it did, Flying is the perfect solution. 

Post it. 

LA LA LA lala... 

BAM! There's your easy win button, mi amigo. 

CYA jackhammer - you can't reach me! 👋

3) Bathrooming

Anyone who has reached a certain age has come to know the true importance of this room. Flying provides a multifaceted envelope that caters to most all aspects of this special experience. 

As outlined in the Walking section, you begin your procession with the perfect laid back gait...something that says - I'm in no rush. 

Control. It's all bout control. 

And once your throned, the la la la lala's take you on their magical mystery tour to toliet nirvana. 

Highly recommended. 🙂

4) Karaoke

Let's face it...we all ain't a bunch a @Nipsey 's and @fatguyinalittlecoat 's. Some of us less blessed in the vocalin' need to stop butchering  tunes that make us look worse than the fool on the hill. 🥴

Time for Flying! 

Not only are the lyrics easy to remember - it only took me a few hours - but it can encourage a sing-a-long that strategically masks my own wailings. Brilliant. 😌

Plus, if there is a jackhammer in the joint, you can flip him the bird as everyone sings la la la lala to him. 

5) Playlist transition 

As I compiled my 25, I did all the work on Spotify. As all here know, cutting down to 25 is not easy. 

My first cut had 83 songs. Over the next few days, I gradually moved some over to my 25 list. When I had 24 locked in, I scanned what was left of my original 83. Not a single one could seemingly make an argument that it was better than the others. 

Hmmm. 

Then I looked deeper into Flying. It was on my list. And I remembered my good friend ellipsis... 

Wikipedia:

"An ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, 'omission' or 'falling short') is a series of dots (typically three, such as "…") that usually indicates an intentional omission of a word, sentence, or whole section from a text without altering its original meaning.[1]"

Flying 

That was it! 

It was the perfect 3 dots to place at #25, because it encapsulated all the rest that nearly made my list...only to fall short...omitted. 

Flying, as Mr. K describes, transitions to my other equally loved tunes that couldn't make my 25. 

So, that's it. Nothing profound, but I do loves Flying. 

(Oh, I gotta give bonus points for the fact that it played to outtakes from Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove. One of my favs movies of all time. But that's another thread.)

Finally, to all you jackhammers out there that don't agree... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?

LA LA LA lala... 🙂

Guido Merkins

The only song credited to Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Starkey, Flying is the only instrumental recorded by the Beatles that EMIO released.  Their pre-fame days had Cry for a Shadow and they attempted 12 Bar Original during the sessions for Rubber Soul, but that was never released.

Flying is meant to be kind of incidental music for the film Magical Mystery Tour and it had it’s own sequence with clouds and such which came across very badly in BBC black and white.  The main instrument is John on mellotron with everyone else on their main instruments.  The only other part that is different is the ending with tape loops and such, done by John and Ringo, apparently.  All of them contributed the wordless vocal.

The song is short, which makes it tolerable, but it’s a novelty.

what a wonderful reminder of good ol' MoCS - if i could picture a day in his life set to any Beatles tune, it sure as hell would be "Flying".

much love ❤️ to his memory, he's very sorely missed. 

Timing question:  Getz suggested posting as many as 10 per day of these low-ranked songs and then slowing down.  I've talked him down to five, to allow for discussion, but now I'm wondering if his instinct was correct to do more.  What do you guys think?

Timing question:  Getz suggested posting as many as 10 per day of these low-ranked songs and then slowing down.  I've talked him down to five, to allow for discussion, but now I'm wondering if his instinct was correct to do more.  What do you guys think?
10 a day seems pretty rapid fire, but whatever you guys decide is fine.

10 a day seems pretty rapid fire, but whatever you guys decide is fine.

Just my opinion, I think 5 is plenty enough.....

I think 5 is fine. I don't know that we'll get many comments this far down no matter how many are revealed. But, if folks wanna do 10, that's cool too.

I think going with the flow of the day would work. If there isn't much feedback on a tune within a reasonable amount of time, move on to the next.  People can always rewind and comment.  It doesn't matter to me, but taking it day by day, and letting the day determine the pace could work well.

Money (That’s What I Want)
2022 Ranking: 170
2022 Points: 2
Ranked Highest by: @jwb
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 111T/1/11

Getz: Our first live youtube. Has stock crowd inserts that I've seen in a few early songs on YT.

@jwb posted comments on his songs…  Here’s this one:
Wanted one of those early covers on my list, as they are good/important. This one is my favorite, and like Twist and Shout, the definitive version of the song.

Krista4

My 2019 ranking:  90

2019 write-up:

Money (That's What I Want) (With the Beatles, 1963)

Featuring another blistering vocal by John, this is the second of three Beatles covers that I enjoy much more than their originals.  The original by Barrett Strong had a great Motown vibe, but the Beatles's version flat-out rocks.  There's a lot to rave about here, including the backing vocals and George Martin's piano work, but for me it all comes back to that John lead vocal - it seems to encapsulate all of his emotions into this one song by being at times angry, at times vulnerable, at times wild, at times humorous, and always powerful and intense.

Mr. krista:  "I like the Beatles's better than the original; it seems heavier and more rougher-edged.  Original lacks sense of fun.  'Your love don’t pay the bills':  it’s depressing, especially given how Motown treated their artists.  Beatles were more aware of it being funny, but also heavy and rough-hewn and jagged where it needed to be jagged.  A good fun, tough, rock song."

2022 Supplement:  One of the aspects of the Beatles that we haven’t talked about much is how similar their musical influences had been and how much that brought them together as a group.  Ringo has said, with respect to the covers they performed on this album:  “The cover songs recorded for With The Beatles were chosen by whoever liked them. It was interesting that when I joined The Beatles we didn’t really know each other, but if you looked at each of our record collections, the four of us had virtually the same records. We all had The Miracles, we all had Barrett Strong and people like that. I suppose that helped us gel as musicians, and as a group.”

I raved in 2019 about John’s vocal, but this is just a monster rock song from everyone, including George Martin on that driving piano part.  Ringo’s drumming and the harmonies from Paul and George become increasingly frenetic and off-kilter, with Paul contributing some of his trademark screams and a powerful bass part, adding to the desperation and urgency of the song.  Rip-roaring raver.

Guido Merkins

Motown was one of the reasons why the 60’s was the best decade for music.  In 1959, it was just a new company when Berry Gordy and Barrett Strong wrote a song called Money (That’s What I Want), which is probably appropriate for someone starting a new company.  “The best things in life are free, but you can keep them for the birds and bees” kind of tells you the story of the song.  In the hands of Barrett Strong, it almost sounds tongue and cheek, though.

Soon after it was released, a young John Lennon heard the song.  In Lennon’s hands, the tongue and cheek aspect seemed to disappear, however, as Lennon so lustily delivered the song that you kind of believed every word he was saying.

Like Twist and Shout, the moment Lennon opened his mouth and sang this song, it was his.  Money ends With the Beatles the same way that Twist and Shout ended Please Please Me, with Lennon absolutely leaving a smoking crater in his wake.  Once again, Paul, George, Ringo, and George Martin on piano struggle to just barely match Lennon’s energy.

To my ear, it doesn’t sound QUITE as unhinged as Twist and Shout, but you could hardly expect to do that again.  Overall, it is easily one of the Beatles best covers and probably one of the best covers by anyone, absolutely leaving the Motown version in the dust.

Getz: Our first live youtube. Has stock crowd inserts that I've seen in a few early songs on YT.

Wanted one of those early covers on my list, as they are good/important. This one is my favorite, and like Twist and Shout, the definitive version of the song.

Krista4

2019 write-up:

Featuring another blistering vocal by John, this is the second of three Beatles covers that I enjoy much more than their originals.  The original by Barrett Strong had a great Motown vibe, but the Beatles's version flat-out rocks.  There's a lot to rave about here, including the backing vocals and George Martin's piano work, but for me it all comes back to that John lead vocal - it seems to encapsulate all of his emotions into this one song by being at times angry, at times vulnerable, at times wild, at times humorous, and always powerful and intense.

Mr. krista:  "I like the Beatles's better than the original; it seems heavier and more rougher-edged.  Original lacks sense of fun.  'Your love don’t pay the bills':  it’s depressing, especially given how Motown treated their artists.  Beatles were more aware of it being funny, but also heavy and rough-hewn and jagged where it needed to be jagged.  A good fun, tough, rock song."

2022 Supplement:  One of the aspects of the Beatles that we haven’t talked about much is how similar their musical influences had been and how much that brought them together as a group.  Ringo has said, with respect to the covers they performed on this album:  “The cover songs recorded for With The Beatles were chosen by whoever liked them. It was interesting that when I joined The Beatles we didn’t really know each other, but if you looked at each of our record collections, the four of us had virtually the same records. We all had The Miracles, we all had Barrett Strong and people like that. I suppose that helped us gel as musicians, and as a group.”

I raved in 2019 about John’s vocal, but this is just a monster rock song from everyone, including George Martin on that driving piano part.  Ringo’s drumming and the harmonies from Paul and George become increasingly frenetic and off-kilter, with Paul contributing some of his trademark screams and a powerful bass part, adding to the desperation and urgency of the song.  Rip-roaring raver.

Guido Merkins

Motown was one of the reasons why the 60’s was the best decade for music.  In 1959, it was just a new company when Berry Gordy and Barrett Strong wrote a song called Money (That’s What I Want), which is probably appropriate for someone starting a new company.  “The best things in life are free, but you can keep them for the birds and bees” kind of tells you the story of the song.  In the hands of Barrett Strong, it almost sounds tongue and cheek, though.

Soon after it was released, a young John Lennon heard the song.  In Lennon’s hands, the tongue and cheek aspect seemed to disappear, however, as Lennon so lustily delivered the song that you kind of believed every word he was saying.

Like Twist and Shout, the moment Lennon opened his mouth and sang this song, it was his.  Money ends With the Beatles the same way that Twist and Shout ended Please Please Me, with Lennon absolutely leaving a smoking crater in his wake.  Once again, Paul, George, Ringo, and George Martin on piano struggle to just barely match Lennon’s energy.

To my ear, it doesn’t sound QUITE as unhinged as Twist and Shout, but you could hardly expect to do that again.  Overall, it is easily one of the Beatles best covers and probably one of the best covers by anyone, absolutely leaving the Motown version in the dust.
Whoa. I expected this one to be way higher.

Krista4

2019 write-up:

Guido Merkins

I never really considered covers for my top 25, as I don't hold them in as high esteem as the original stuff, but there's no question that the highest compliment you can pay about a cover is that you don't know it's a cover, you just assume that it was the artist's original work.  That's what I usually always think about this song.  I would totally understand why someone who's more casual just thinking the Beatles wrote this, since they own it so sufficiently.  

My link to the original by Barrett Strong got lost in there.
Sorry about that.   Instead of copying it out of our write up doc, I cut and pasted it to here and it lost the links (formatting strikes again!)

The cool thing though is that I copied the FINISHED POST above from here to the final word doc and it KEPT ALL THE COLORS AND LINKS HERE!!  (well, the YT link I posted LOL)

FYI to all..... when we are done, I will share with all a link to a google doc that will have all 172 posts in order from 1 to 172.  And now with links!

Last edited by a moderator:
MONEY is as down n' dirty as they ever got, which is a very blessed thing ... but it's just never been one i warm to on a consistent level - perhaps i'm just an "originals" poofter/snob - or maybe it's me love/hate with the piannerrr ... i do dig me some piannerr, and that will surface as we continue, but i was never a huge fan of the 88 keys in a balls out tune.

meh. 

Users who are viewing this thread