What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (1 Viewer)

Chalk Rankings Top 10. #121 = 52 pts. each Sponsored by: Dove Men's Body Wash

1 --Wrighteous Ray---197.5

2 --anarchy99---174.5

3 --Krista (Worth)---158.5

4 --DaVinci---137

5 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---112

6 --Krista (Sharon)---108.5

7 --Krista (Mom/Hub)---101

8 --BinkyTheDoormat---94.5

9 --Krista (Rob)---86.5

10 --zamboni---86.5

Your Mother Should Know -- Yes, it's granny ####, but I have it closer to Martha My Dear than, say, Honey Pie. The melody is a great one and I love the interplay between the piano and the organ. This gets more flack than it deserves, probably because the lyrics are sympathetic to parents, which was a no-no in '60s counterculture. John looks COMPLETELY stoned out of his gourd in the movie clip. 

You Really Got a Hold On Me -- I like Smokey's vocal better but that's a very high bar to clear. They pull off soul without seeming like copycats or missing the mark, which is very hard to do. 

What You're Doing -- Makes the case that the Beatles, not the Byrds or Dylan, invented folk rock. They would improve on this with much of the Rubber Soul material, but it's a nice start. 

Revolution 9 -- I fling e-poo at whoever put this on their ballot. If we ranked all 206 eligible songs, I would have this dead last*. I'm all for trying out different genres, but something like this simply didn't belong on a Beatles album, and worse, it fails at what it attempts and is interminably long. It smacks of out-of-touch indulgence. 

Run for Your Life -- The music has all the strengths of the best Rubber Soul material, but the lyrics are ick of the highest order, made worse by how John behaved during his first marriage. At least John had disavowed this by 1970. The vocals and lyrics being so out front contributes greatly to the ick -- Led Zeppelin had some similarly appalling lyrics, but in most cases you couldn't quite tell what Robert Plant was singing, or the riffage was so loud and great that you ignored the lyrics altogether. 

P.S. I Love You -- I've always found this a little saccharine, less British Invasion than the teen idol stuff it replaced. But it was a "chick song," and when you're starting out as a band (unless you're hardcore punk, speed/thrash metal or gangsta rap), you need those. 

* - Only A Taste of Honey would even be anywhere near a contender to dethrone it. 

OMG, something worked!  Thanks to Krista's friend who gave me an alias to get on this thread.  So, this is Krista's mom and I am eager to get info on here about a little of my history as an old woman who is a relatively new Beatles fan.  And also to explain, perhaps defend, some of my choices here.  But that will have to wait for another day as we will soon be heading to a nationally recognized restaurant in Seattle, where I anticipate an incredible evening.  I look forward to actually being involved in this project instead of just an observer. 

Whoohooo! Hello, Wrighteous Ray! 

I could totally be making this up, but I think I read that if you have a large enough circle of friends, chances are there is someone capable of being a serial killer among them. And you'd never know. @krista4, you have your circle narrowed down to a 50:50 shot, now.

:lmao:   It really is disturbing.  My friend Worth, OK I get it...he one of the biggest music weirdos I know.  But Rob?  Perfectly normal dude otherwise.  Or so I thought.  Also his #1 was...questionable.  To give a hint, @Shaft41is gonna die.

Your Mother Should Know -- Yes, it's granny ####, but I have it closer to Martha My Dear than, say, Honey Pie. The melody is a great one and I love the interplay between the piano and the organ. This gets more flack than it deserves, probably because the lyrics are sympathetic to parents, which was a no-no in '60s counterculture. John looks COMPLETELY stoned out of his gourd in the movie clip. 

You Really Got a Hold On Me -- I like Smokey's vocal better but that's a very high bar to clear. They pull off soul without seeming like copycats or missing the mark, which is very hard to do. 

What You're Doing -- Makes the case that the Beatles, not the Byrds or Dylan, invented folk rock. They would improve on this with much of the Rubber Soul material, but it's a nice start. 

Revolution 9 -- I fling e-poo at whoever put this on their ballot. If we ranked all 206 eligible songs, I would have this dead last*. I'm all for trying out different genres, but something like this simply didn't belong on a Beatles album, and worse, it fails at what it attempts and is interminably long. It smacks of out-of-touch indulgence. 

Run for Your Life -- The music has all the strengths of the best Rubber Soul material, but the lyrics are ick of the highest order, made worse by how John behaved during his first marriage. At least John had disavowed this by 1970. The vocals and lyrics being so out front contributes greatly to the ick -- Led Zeppelin had some similarly appalling lyrics, but in most cases you couldn't quite tell what Robert Plant was singing, or the riffage was so loud and great that you ignored the lyrics altogether. 

P.S. I Love You -- I've always found this a little saccharine, less British Invasion than the teen idol stuff it replaced. But it was a "chick song," and when you're starting out as a band (unless you're hardcore punk, speed/thrash metal or gangsta rap), you need those. 

* - Only A Taste of Honey would even be anywhere near a contender to dethrone it. 

100% on almost all of this with you.

It's always weird for me to try to post a response to anything in these Beatles threads, since I said damn well anything I thought already.

I slave over a hot stove (of write-ups) all day, and you people aware her the prize for just appearing?!?  :hot:  
Typo alert!!   The score is now 137 to 1.  :D

Seriously, when we started this, I didn't think you were going to do a new write up on every song. It's amazing what you've added to the brilliant 2019 work.  :thumbup:

# of Songs to Have Appeared on The Countdown to Date

1 --Krista (Mom)---7

2 --Krista (Mom/Hub)---5

3 --anarchy99---5

4 --Krista (Worth)---5

5 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---4

6 --DaVinci---4

7 --Krista (TJ/Holly)---3

8 --Krista (Sharon)---3

9 --BinkyTheDoormat---3

10 --Krista (Rob)---3

11 --Encyclopedia Brown---3

12 --Shaft41---2

13 --OTB_Lifer---2

14 --Neal Cassady---2

15 --ManOfSteelhead---2

16 --Mac32---2

17 --Eephus---2

18 --Krista (TJ/Michael)---2

19 --Krista (Craig)---2

20 --zamboni---1

21 --wikkidpissah---1

22 --Uruk-Hai---1

23 --Ted Lange as your Bartender---1

24 --Shaft41(Daughter)---1

25 --rockaction---1

26 --ProsteticRKG---1

27 --murph---1

28 --Lardonastick---1

29 --Krista (TJ/Slug)---1

30 --Krista (TJ/Alex)---1

31 --jwb---1

32 --Just Win Baby---1

33 --John Maddens Lunchbox---1

34 --FairWarning---1

35 --Dinsy Ejotuz---1

36 --Dennis Castro---1

37 --ConstruxBoy---1

38 --Alex P Keaton---1

39 --AAABatteries---1
I can’t figure out if I’m winning or losing.

All my kidding of Krista aside, it's probably the best cover of an established Smokey hit by a major artist. I don't like it as much as the original, but the Beatles do a fine job here. There's something just a little off about it, though, that I can't articulate. Maybe it's the key they are singing in on the verses, or the mix, or something else. Anyway, another piece of evidence that "covers" isn't a bad word and that they were vital to the Beatles success.

As for the Miracles' version, it's a wonder to behold (behear?). It sounds like it came from the future and not 1962 - listen to this record and listen to everything else on the charts around it, and it doesn't seem like they were records made on the same planet. Other than the (slightly) archaic doo-woppery by the Miracles in the background, the rest of it is about 5 years ahead of its time. It slides in much more comfortably with stuff like "I Wish It Would Rain", "I Never Loved A Man", and "I've Been Lonely Too Long" than it does with "Johnny Angel" or "My Boyfriend's Back". Marv Tarplin's guitar work is, as usual, fantastic and Smokey gives one of his finest performances. In a way this record is a warm up to the mighty "Tracks Of My Tears" but it's a significant achievement in its own right.

I don't even have words to express the ranking of Revolution #9, so I'll post this instead. After making my complete list of 205 songs, I decided to rank the albums as well. I first went with a gut feeling of how I would rank the albums: 

1) Abbey Road

2) Revolver

3) The Beatles (The White Album)

4) Rubber Soul

5) Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

6) Let It Be

7) Help!

8. A Hard Day’s Night

9) Beatles For Sale

10) Magical Mystery Tour

11) Yellow Submarine

12) With the Beatles

13) Please Please Me

Then I did a more systematic ranking. To do this I awarded points to each song by subtracting the ranking from 206 and then calculated the average point total for each album:

1) Revolver (139.6)

2) Abbey Road (133.6)

3) Rubber Soul (126.9)

4) Let It Be [Original Version] (125.9)

5) A Hard Day’s Night (116.0)

6) Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (114.1)

7) Help! (110.7)

8, The Beatles [The White Album] (95.3)

9) Beatles For Sale (82.4)

10) Yellow Submarine (77.5)

11) Magical Mystery Tour (73.3)

12) With the Beatles (65.3)

13) Please Please Me (57.6)

Interestingly, the Naked version of Let It Be tops any of these albums, with an average point total of 149.1. Screw you, Phil Spector.

Even more interestingly, a single album version of The Beatles, taking the top 13 songs off the White Album, crushes all with an average point total of 160.6. Screw you Beatles for not being able to work together on an album while at the height of your powers. Just kidding. Sort of.

turnjose7 said:
Interestingly, the Naked version of Let It Be tops any of these albums, with an average point total of 149.1. Screw you, Phil Spector.

Even more interestingly, a single album version of The Beatles, taking the top 13 songs off the White Album, crushes all with an average point total of 160.6. Screw you Beatles for not being able to work together on an album while at the height of your powers. Just kidding. Sort of.
I am really enjoying Let It Be...Naked these days.   I remember Krista indicating that she much preferred it to the Spector version when I thoroughly read her original write ups ( ;) ) and I have to agree.  I ranked the original version of songs but there is a song on Naked that may have made my top 25 with the  nonsense stripped out.

Wrighteous Ray said:
But that will have to wait for another day as we will soon be heading to a nationally recognized restaurant in Seattle, where I anticipate an incredible evening. 
How did you like this restaurant? 

I am really enjoying Let It Be...Naked these days.   I remember Krista indicating that she much preferred it to the Spector version when I thoroughly read her original write ups ( ;) ) and I have to agree.  I ranked the original version of songs but there is a song on Naked that may have made my top 25 with the  nonsense stripped out.
My recollection is the main differences  are dropping one awful song and  stripping the orchestral parts to an iconic hit. Anything else?

I’m very much enjoying the various 50th edition / Super Deluxe editions from the Summer of Love onward. Running neck and neck with constantly rotating the first four.

Those exercises have yielded many new favorites. But despite my best efforts to dislodge it, my personal favorite period remains 1965-66 (Help!-Rubber Soul-Revolver.) Lots of experimenting and songs with 30+ hours production followed but that to me is the apex of their songwriting.

(will probably have a different opinion on two months)

In our 1995 Anthology doc viewing, last night we finished 1967 - Summer of Love, the death of, MMT tv special. Renouncing drugs (haha) & traveling to Rishikesh in February, 1968 is up next.

Next in the queue is The Compleat Beatles (1982), probably followed by The Beatles: Eight days a week. The touring years. This is proving to be the most immersive hobby obsession I’ve experienced since I went through my ACW / National Battlefield phase (2000-04.)

Eh, nm. It’s great, loving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pip's Invitation said:
I can see appreciating the "art" and not outright the dismissing the song like most do, but it's surprising to me that anyone would enjoy listening to it enough to rank it as their 11th favorite Beatles song, It wouldn't even be the 11th best Rush song.

Pip's Invitation said:
P.S. I Love You -- I've always found this a little saccharine, less British Invasion than the teen idol stuff it replaced. But it was a "chick PIK95 song," and when you're starting out as a band (unless you're hardcore punk, speed/thrash metal or gangsta rap), you need those. 
FYP

I can see appreciating the "art" and not outright the dismissing the song like most do, but it's surprising to me that anyone would enjoy listening to it enough to rank it as their 11th favorite Beatles song, It wouldn't even be the 11th best Rush song.
The track sounds to me like someone is learning to edit and layer loops, and so they are experimenting with the different sounds to see how it works. 

My recollection is the main differences  are dropping one awful song and  stripping the orchestral parts to an iconic hit. Anything else?

I’m very much enjoying the various 50th edition / Super Deluxe editions from the Summer of Love onward. Running neck and neck with constantly rotating the first four.

Those exercises have yielded many new favorites. But despite my best efforts to dislodge it, my personal favorite period remains 1965-66 (Help!-Rubber Soul-Revolver.) Lots of experimenting and songs with 30+ hours production followed but that to me is the apex of their songwriting.

In our 1995 Anthology doc viewing, last night we finished 1967 - Summer of Love, the death of, MMT tv special. Renouncing drugs (haha) & traveling to Rishikesh in February, 1968 is up next.

Next in the queue is The Compleat Beatles (1982), probably followed by The Beatles: Eight days a week. The touring years. This is proving to be the most immersive hobby obsession I’ve experienced since I went through my ACW / National Battlefield phase (2000-04.)

There is some spoken dialogue that is eliminated that to me was distracting and unnecessary and a number of the songs just seem cleaner and simpler. It's personal preference but I never liked Spector's "wall of sound" approach.

There is some spoken dialogue that is eliminated that to me was distracting and unnecessary and a number of the songs just seem cleaner and simpler. It's personal preference but I never liked Spector's "wall of sound" approach.
If you're just talking about his work with the Beatles (or anything after them, for that matter), I agree. But from about 1962 through 1966, his approach kicked all kinds of ###. Punks and speed-metal machines (plus guys like Springsteen) have been trying for 60 years to recreate that the-world-is-coming-to-an-end sound.

If you're just talking about his work with the Beatles (or anything after them, for that matter), I agree. But from about 1962 through 1966, his approach kicked all kinds of ###. Punks and speed-metal machines (plus guys like Springsteen) have been trying for 60 years to recreate that the-world-is-coming-to-an-end sound.
I think his mono mixes made for the AM radios of the time did sound pretty good compared to his contemporaries. 🎙

Love Me Do
2022 Ranking: 120
2022 Lists: 3
2022 Points: 24
Ranked Highest by: @prosopis (17) Shaft41 (Daughter) (18) Shaft41 (Son2) (19)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: NR

Getz:  Two enter here with their first songs. Kind of shocked there are still 29 voters that have not appeared. Cool, quirky video above.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  103

2019 write-up:

Love Me Do (Please Please Me, 1962)

It's hard to put this song, which was part of their audition for George Martin and became their first hit single - the one that started it all! - in the bottom half, but setting sentimentality aside, this isn't one of their top-half-of-the-countdown efforts.  Love love love the harmonica, and the vocals are sweet. but the song is sooooo simple.  The lyrics are simple and repetitive (Paul wrote most of this when he was 15 or 16); the guitar part is simple; the drums are simple (though apparently not simple enough to save Pete Best from getting fired after the audition).  The harmonica saves it, along with Paul's charming "love me do" at the end of each line - Paul singing that bit was George Martin's idea so that John could focus on the harmonica part there instead of switching back and forth.  Worst of all, of course, is that Ringo is not on the album version of the song - George Martin went to his grave knowing I had never forgiven him for substituting Andy White in this session (discussed previously with respect to "P.S. I Love You").  Or maybe not.

The song rose to 17th on the UK charts; the rumor was that this was in part because Brian Epstein bought 10,000 copies himself for his record store, but both Epstein and John denied this was true.  This song is exciting to me mostly because of what it led to, rather than what it is.  And due to that harmonica.   

Fun John fact:  the harmonica John played on this was allegedly shoplifted by him during their Hamburg days.

Fun Paul fact:  Paul didn't ever play this song in his solo shows, thinking it was too "little," until the mid-2010s, when he started doing it at the request of, among others...David Bowie.  

Mr. krista:  "Great harmonica.  I like that beat, so slow, plodding, and heavy.  That’s about it.  About the sixth best of seven songs so far."

Suggested cover:  David Bowie & Jeff Beck (starts ~4:26)

2022 Supplement:  The harmonica here still does it for me, and I’d probably move it up in the rankings a wee bit this time.  Legend has it that Delbert McClinton, with Bruce Channel’s band at the time, taught John the bluesy harmonica when the Beatles opened for Channel in 1962 (Channel had a hit with the harmonica-laden “Hey Baby”:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9dxkKriV0 ), but it’s unclear if this actually happened.  John had had harmonicas since he was a child and was already playing it on several numbers before they met McClinton.  John has described their early use of harmonica as a “trick” they put into their numbers, until the “trick” had been played out and become, to John, “embarrassing.”  Given that John did not yet have a harmonica brace (pictures from the time show him always holding the harmonica in his hands), it’s believed that he did not play guitar on this track.

As discussed in 2019, there have been three versions of this song published with three different drummers.  Ringo’s style is so distinctive, and Alan White is obviously a great drummer in his own right.  Pete Best is Pete Best, and you can hear in these versions why the Beatles went away from him.  He seems like a lovely man, though.

Paul attributes the inspiration for this song, the first recording with the “Lennon - McCartney” name ever to be published (though actually this single said “McCartney - Lennon”), to their love of the Everly Brothers, and you can hear that influence in the harmonies of this song.  Paul says that they’d never seen anyone like the Everlys “just two guys, two good-looking guys,” and he and John idolized them.  Then Buddy Holly came along and blew them away even more, a guy who wrote, sang and played guitar. 

This song was written at 20 Forthlin Road, Paul’s home from 1955-1965, up a garden path under a mountain ash tree.  This is where John and Paul wrote many of their songs when they were teenagers.  Paul says of the song:  “John came up with this riff, the little harmonica riff.  It’s so simple.  There’s nothing to it; it’s a will-o’-the-wisp song.  But there’s a terrific sense of longing in the bridge which, combined with that harmonica, touches the soul in some way.”

Guido Merkins

So by 1962 the Beatles were on the verge of stardom.  They had been signed to a recording contract and George Martin was looking for a song for them to record that would be a smash hit.  In comes a song called How Do You Do It, which Martin was convinced would be a big hit.  The Beatles recorded a version of it and do a good job with it.  But the Beatles wanted to record their own song and How Do You Do It didn’t fit how they saw themselves, as a little R&B combo.  So they wanted to release Love Me Do instead and told George Martin this.

Now you have to put this in context.  The Beatles were not yet THE BEATLES.  They were an unknown band from Liverpool where nothing good ever comes from and they have the gaul to make demands on their producer who, held their future literally in his hands.  However, to George Martin’s everlasting credit, he decided to go with Love Me Do, even though he knew it wasn’t the huge hit he was looking for.  Love Me Do reached #17 in the British charts, so his instincts were right that it was a good record.  It would be the last Beatles record for a long time that didn’t go to #1.

Love Me Do had been written a few years before by both John and Paul.  It’s most distinguishing feature with John’s harmonica which led to George Martin having to change the arrangement of the song in the middle of the session.  John usually sang the part “love me do, whoa, love me do”, but for this session he couldn’t both play the harmonica and sing this part, so Martin gave that part to Paul.  If you listen to the single version, you can still hear the wobble in Paul’s voice.

Which brings us to the question of the two versions that are out there.  The album version is Andy White on drums with the single version being the version with Ringo on drums.  George Martin, being unhappy with Pete Best, gets a session drummer and the Beatles bring in Ringo.  Martin, who had no idea if Ringo is up for the job, hands Ringo a tambourine and has Andy White on the drum kit.  You can tell which version is which by the tambourine on the Andy White version.  There is also a version of Love Me Do on Anthology 1 with Pete Best on drums.  If you still doubt that Ringo was better than Pete, go listen to this recording.  Ringo is far superior.

Another aside on this song, Mick Jagger felt sick when he heard Love Me Do because the Stones wanted to put a record in the British charts with a bluesy harmonica, but as usual, the Stones were slightly behind the Beatles.

It also includes "Don't Let Me Down" on the album 

Love Me Do

Getz:  Two enter here with their first songs. Kind of shocked there are still 29 voters that have not appeared. Cool, quirky video above.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  103

2019 write-up:

Love Me Do (Please Please Me, 1962)

It's hard to put this song, which was part of their audition for George Martin and became their first hit single - the one that started it all! - in the bottom half, but setting sentimentality aside, this isn't one of their top-half-of-the-countdown efforts.  Love love love the harmonica, and the vocals are sweet. but the song is sooooo simple.  The lyrics are simple and repetitive (Paul wrote most of this when he was 15 or 16); the guitar part is simple; the drums are simple (though apparently not simple enough to save Pete Best from getting fired after the audition).  The harmonica saves it, along with Paul's charming "love me do" at the end of each line - Paul singing that bit was George Martin's idea so that John could focus on the harmonica part there instead of switching back and forth.  Worst of all, of course, is that Ringo is not on the album version of the song - George Martin went to his grave knowing I had never forgiven him for substituting Andy White in this session (discussed previously with respect to "P.S. I Love You").  Or maybe not.

The song rose to 17th on the UK charts; the rumor was that this was in part because Brian Epstein bought 10,000 copies himself for his record store, but both Epstein and John denied this was true.  This song is exciting to me mostly because of what it led to, rather than what it is.  And due to that harmonica.   

Fun John fact:  the harmonica John played on this was allegedly shoplifted by him during their Hamburg days.

Fun Paul fact:  Paul didn't ever play this song in his solo shows, thinking it was too "little," until the mid-2010s, when he started doing it at the request of, among others...David Bowie.  

Mr. krista:  "Great harmonica.  I like that beat, so slow, plodding, and heavy.  That’s about it.  About the sixth best of seven songs so far."

Suggested cover:  David Bowie & Jeff Beck (starts ~4:26)

2022 Supplement:  The harmonica here still does it for me, and I’d probably move it up in the rankings a wee bit this time.  Legend has it that Delbert McClinton, with Bruce Channel’s band at the time, taught John the bluesy harmonica when the Beatles opened for Channel in 1962 (Channel had a hit with the harmonica-laden “Hey Baby”:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9dxkKriV0 ), but it’s unclear if this actually happened.  John had had harmonicas since he was a child and was already playing it on several numbers before they met McClinton.  John has described their early use of harmonica as a “trick” they put into their numbers, until the “trick” had been played out and become, to John, “embarrassing.”  Given that John did not yet have a harmonica brace (pictures from the time show him always holding the harmonica in his hands), it’s believed that he did not play guitar on this track.

As discussed in 2019, there have been three versions of this song published with three different drummers.  Ringo’s style is so distinctive, and Alan White is obviously a great drummer in his own right.  Pete Best is Pete Best, and you can hear in these versions why the Beatles went away from him.  He seems like a lovely man, though.

Paul attributes the inspiration for this song, the first recording with the “Lennon - McCartney” name ever to be published (though actually this single said “McCartney - Lennon”), to their love of the Everly Brothers, and you can hear that influence in the harmonies of this song.  Paul says that they’d never seen anyone like the Everlys “just two guys, two good-looking guys,” and he and John idolized them.  Then Buddy Holly came along and blew them away even more, a guy who wrote, sang and played guitar. 

This song was written at 20 Forthlin Road, Paul’s home from 1955-1965, up a garden path under a mountain ash tree.  This is where John and Paul wrote many of their songs when they were teenagers.  Paul says of the song:  “John came up with this riff, the little harmonica riff.  It’s so simple.  There’s nothing to it; it’s a will-o’-the-wisp song.  But there’s a terrific sense of longing in the bridge which, combined with that harmonica, touches the soul in some way.”

Guido Merkins

So by 1962 the Beatles were on the verge of stardom.  They had been signed to a recording contract and George Martin was looking for a song for them to record that would be a smash hit.  In comes a song called How Do You Do It, which Martin was convinced would be a big hit.  The Beatles recorded a version of it and do a good job with it.  But the Beatles wanted to record their own song and How Do You Do It didn’t fit how they saw themselves, as a little R&B combo.  So they wanted to release Love Me Do instead and told George Martin this.

Now you have to put this in context.  The Beatles were not yet THE BEATLES.  They were an unknown band from Liverpool where nothing good ever comes from and they have the gaul to make demands on their producer who, held their future literally in his hands.  However, to George Martin’s everlasting credit, he decided to go with Love Me Do, even though he knew it wasn’t the huge hit he was looking for.  Love Me Do reached #17 in the British charts, so his instincts were right that it was a good record.  It would be the last Beatles record for a long time that didn’t go to #1.

Love Me Do had been written a few years before by both John and Paul.  It’s most distinguishing feature with John’s harmonica which led to George Martin having to change the arrangement of the song in the middle of the session.  John usually sang the part “love me do, whoa, love me do”, but for this session he couldn’t both play the harmonica and sing this part, so Martin gave that part to Paul.  If you listen to the single version, you can still hear the wobble in Paul’s voice.

Which brings us to the question of the two versions that are out there.  The album version is Andy White on drums with the single version being the version with Ringo on drums.  George Martin, being unhappy with Pete Best, gets a session drummer and the Beatles bring in Ringo.  Martin, who had no idea if Ringo is up for the job, hands Ringo a tambourine and has Andy White on the drum kit.  You can tell which version is which by the tambourine on the Andy White version.  There is also a version of Love Me Do on Anthology 1 with Pete Best on drums.  If you still doubt that Ringo was better than Pete, go listen to this recording.  Ringo is far superior.

Another aside on this song, Mick Jagger felt sick when he heard Love Me Do because the Stones wanted to put a record in the British charts with a bluesy harmonica, but as usual, the Stones were slightly behind the Beatles.
Krista, your assessment of this song is spot-on.  For pure importance and nostaglia, it's a game-changer.  As a song?  It's nice, but basic.  Even comparing it to the next few songs they put out, it was kind of like when my kids were younger and we would go to their school band concert, and we sit through the 5th graders, just starting out, honking out "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" before we can get to the high school kids later blasting out "Armenian Dances."  

Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
2022 Ranking: 143
2022 Lists: 1
2022 Points: 14
Ranked Highest by: Krista (Rob) (12)

Getz:  Why Don't We Do Without This. 

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  192

2019 write-up:

Why Don't We Do It in the Road?  (White Album, 1968)

As I look back at it, I probably should have kept this in a lower position, since it's the only song left that kind of irritates me.  What's done is done!

Paul knocked this out without input from John or George, which apparently hurt John's feelings, though John later professed (perhaps sarcastically) to loving this song.  I appreciate Paul's description of the inspiration for the song, which was based on an experience in India:  "I was up on the flat roof meditating and I'd seen a troupe of monkeys walking along in the jungle and a male just hopped on to the back of this female and gave her one, as they say in the vernacular. Within two or three seconds he hopped off again, and looked around as if to say, 'It wasn't me,' and she looked around as if there had been some mild disturbance but thought, Huh, I must have imagined it, and she wandered off. And I thought, bloody hell, that puts it all into a cocked hat, that's how simple the act of procreation is, this bloody monkey just hopping on and hopping off. There is an urge, they do it, and it's done with. And it's that simple. We have horrendous problems with it, and yet animals don't. So that was basically it. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? could have applied to either ####### or ####ting, to put it roughly. Why don't we do either of them in the road? Well, the answer is we're civilised and we don't. But the song was just to pose that question. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? was a primitive statement to do with sex or to do with freedom really. I like it, it'd just so outrageous that I like it."

I appreciate the sentiment here (how you doin'?), but what makes the song irritating to me is Paul's vocal.  What is he trying to do?  This is one of those times when I feel like Paul's ability to perform in different genres almost slips into unintended parody, unlike John's "Yer Blues," which will be ranked much higher.  

But as to Paul's vocal, let's have Mr. krista take over:  "Such a throwaway track.  One good line, but the song doesn’t really go anywhere. Pretty half-assed.  Can you imagine if George had had something to do with it, like a killer guitar part?  George could have really helped that song.  So dumb, so half-assed.  Trying to sound like BB King.  Shut your British hole.  You're doing it in the bed, the curtains closed.  It's a well appointed room, or whatever the opposite of a road is.  [20-minute diatribe regarding English people trying to co-opt the blues, complete with comparison to if we tried to make a Native American song by doing the woo-woo-woo with our hands hitting our mouths and saying "how?".] 

Suggested cover:  Lowell Fulsom Holy hell, this is how blues should sound.  And listen to those angry guitars.  

2022 Supplement:  In a better world, this would be been #202 on my 2019 list, and would be #204 of 206 now.  Who voted for this?  Show yourselves!  I despise this song.  Next.

Guido Merkins

In Rishikesh Paul was sitting on top of a roof looking out and he just saw this male monkey jump on this female monkey in the middle of the road and…..did his thing.  Paul laughed and started writing a song called Why Don’t We Do It In the Road?  

This song was on the White Album and it features only Paul and Ringo.  John later claimed to be hurt when Paul would go off on his own and do something without involving them.  Paul countered that Julia and Revolution #9 didn’t involve him.  Remember this is the White Album and as George said “the rot had set in.”  John did like the song giving McCartney rare praise.

Anyway it’s a pretty simple recording featuring acoustic guitar, lead guitar, bass and vocal by Paul and drumming and hand clapping by Ringo.  To me the best part of the song is Paul’s voice.  He really cuts loose and especially on the falsetto part near the end,  On Anthology 3, there is a demo of the song with Paul alternating between a pleading quiet vocal and a more strident vocal showing his versatility. 

Once again, this is another one on the White Album that just fits the ethos of the album well.  Not sure it would have worked on the more polished Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road.
How did this make anyone’s top 150?

:lmao:

Krista, your assessment of this song is spot-on.  For pure importance and nostaglia, it's a game-changer.  As a song?  It's nice, but basic.  Even comparing it to the next few songs they put out, it was kind of like when my kids were younger and we would go to their school band concert, and we sit through the 5th graders, just starting out, honking out "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" before we can get to the high school kids later blasting out "Armenian Dances."  
Yep, it was on my original list, but I realized after a few spins it was more for historical context than the song itself. Still love the harmonica though. 

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
2022 Ranking: 119
2022 Lists: 2
2022 Points: 25
Ranked Highest by: @simey (3) @Man of Constant Sorrow (24)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 61/4/49

Getz:  Quite the tumble here losing half the voters and points from 2019.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  101

2019 write-up:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Nobody panic.  This is just a ranking for the reprise, not the version that opens the record.  Actually I like some aspects of this better than the other:  the energy is higher; the playing is tighter; and I love that charging drumbeat, Paul's count-in and John's little "bye" or "goodbye" at 0:04 during that count-in, and George's guitar riffs.  They sound like they're having a blast on this one, and apparently they were, as Geoff Emerick described it:  "Everybody was really upbeat that day, and it shows.  The vibe was fantastic...I could feel the excitement building from the very first moment...  The Beatles played the whole thing live, just two guitars, bass, and drums with just a single keyboard overdub.  Ringo was pounding the hell out of his drums...  In fact, everyone was playing full-out."

The idea to have a reprise actually came from Neil Aspinall, who suggested that the master of ceremonies from the intro should come back in at the end to close the album (which this song doesn't, but it does lead into the A Day in the Life finale).  John responded to the idea with "Nobody likes a smart-####, Neil," which translated from Lennon-speak meant he was on-board with the idea.  The only reason this isn't higher is because it seems like more of a snippet than a fully formed song, at 80 seconds long with just a repeated chorus, and I want to give other deserving full songs a spot in the top 100 instead.    

Mr. krista:  "Seemed like a passing reprise.  Probably should have been another one at the beginning of the second side.  Nobody thinks of records anymore, though.  As soon as I heard that beat, I thought of the Beastie Boys song."

Suggested cover:  I'll wait to post covers with the other version.

2022 Supplement:  I should have mentioned Paul’s excellent count-in. 

This was the last song recorded for the album, and the band had very little time to devote to it as Paul was going to be flying out to reunite with Jane Asher less than 48 hours later.  The group therefore did an overnight session, ending at 6 a.m. after approximately 11 hours of work on the song.  Since this was a last-minute addition, they couldn’t get Studio Two, which they’d used for the rest of the album, as whatever band had booked it refused to cede it to The Beatles.  (I’d love to know which dickmittens those were and what their finished product sounded like.)  Instead, they were booked into the gigantic Studio One, which the engineers then had to reconfigure to try to give it a close feel and reduce the reverb.  According to Emerick, they first had to “gather up all the available tall screens and build a kind of hut, thus creating a smaller room within a room. Then I asked Mal and Neil to set up the drums and amplifiers very near one another so that there would be minimal delay on the signal that would inevitably spill between the mics, and I arranged The Beatles themselves in a semicircle so they could all see one another.”  The effect of all of this was as I mentioned in my original write-up, which is that in these close quarters the Beatles were able to soak up each other’s energies to give an exciting, rocking performance.

A couple of other interesting takes of the rhythm section (Take 9 was the final):

Take 5, with some wackier guitar parts over Paul’s guide vocal:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln76b4cTpMQ

Take 8, with Paul musing over the new speakers installed all over the walls of the studio:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu_I99DsGVg

Guido Merkins

The Sgt Pepper album was set up to be a fictional band performing a show.  They were attempting what would be known later as a concept album, but the concept was pretty loose.  John, specifically, in later years, said that “the concept worked because we said it worked, but it never got past the Sgt Pepper track and the reprise at the end of the album.”  John was fully into his Beatles bashing at the point, especially anything done by Paul, but in a way he is correct.  The songs really aren’t related much except for being tied together by the two Sgt Pepper songs.

In the case of the Reprise, it is sort of a “we hope you have enjoyed the show” at the end of the album.  It is a much tighter, more rock and roll oriented performance than the opening Sgt Pepper song.  I love Ringo’s drumming, especially during the intro.  I love John saying “bye” right in the intro.  I love the lead guitar throughout by John and George.  The other cool part is Paul’s background screaming in the outro which is heard very faintly on the stereo, but more prominently on the mono.  The song then goes straight into A Day in the Life.

I ranked this song third, because it segues right into A Day In the Life, and to me they are companion songs. Buddies. Best Friends. I can't have one without the other, and I wanted them side by side on my list.

I love the energy in this song, and I wish it was longer. This song is fun.

1, 2 ,3, 4,  bye, the drums enter 🥁, and then the screaming guitar 🎸, and everyone sings 🙂, and what's not to love about a song that ends with woooooooooooo.

:hifive:    <--- Me and MoCs

Krista4

2019 write-up:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Nobody panic.  This is just a ranking for the reprise, not the version that opens the record. 

For a singular song, I prefer the reprise. Within the context of the album... I think I still prefer the reprise. Just missed my list.

A little (not so little) digression here. What are you doing this weekend? Nothing, you say? Here is a link to the full four-hour 10/31/94 Phish show during which they don the "musical costume" of the Beatles and perform the White Album in its entirety during set 2. If you don't care for the Phish and want to jump right to the Fab Four, the 1:23 mark is for you. No, sadly, I was not in attendance for this one. Enjoy, and welcome to Krista's mom! Live White Album Performance

BobbyLayne said:
Gip....

:kicksrock:

I did not rank this song in my 1-204 (which should be my 1-206 bc I didn't rank Real Love either.)

Partly bc I thought K4's list from 3+ years ago was canon.

Also, I never saw Anthology.

You can't stream it anywhere, Apple (who whoever is the power that may be) is too vigilant over YouTube content, et al.

Until last night....

archive.org - The Beatles Anthology 1995 complete dvd

:excited:

you have no idea how much I am enjoying this rn...

:headbang: :pickle: :clap: :tebow:
Rutles did it better

Getzlaf15 said:
2022 Mr. krista Supplement:  This just tells you how hard it is to write a song.  It’s a steep curve, to go from nothing on a blank page to something.  This is better than silence.
truer words...

God bless the better-than-silence things which have occurred in practice halls & recording studios

Getzlaf15 said:
Revolution 9
2022 Ranking: 123T
2022 Points: 23
Ranked Highest by: Krista (Worth) (11) Krista (Rob) 18
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 131T/1/5

Getz:  Who are these people?  I feel like I need to take a shower now.

if Worth & Rob are between 65-75yo they get a pass. dont see R9 as obliquely more than a novelty tune for teenage acidheads. i was like 15 and already tripping some and kept friends with a perfectly awful individual named John Ratto for the express reason that his father had a stereo room and we could listen to things backwards & loud & mega & all that. and it was cool. we would have had to be prodigies to be accessing Glenn Gould & more sophisticated sound collages. and it was a gas! Lennon had as ineffable an ability to communicate with the petulant, woundlicking, mortal masturbators of the age as McCartney did with our better musical angels. which brings us to.....

Getzlaf15 said:
Run For Your Life
2022 Ranking: 122
2022 Points: 23
Ranked Highest by: @Anarchy99 (16) Krista (Sharon) (17) @zamboni (22)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 70/3/35

Getz:  Three votes again, but 12 less points…

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  93

2019 write-up:

Run for Your Life (Rubber Soul, 1965)

It's a great song that I dock 40 spots for murderous impulses and terroristic threats.  Only 1/4 joking about that - the lyrics to this song bring it way down the list from where it would otherwise be. 
it and the Stones misogynistic equivalents were also cool to the inner #### within 60s boys and i have no trouble contextualizing it as of its time. if Lennon wasnt as insidious about it then, no one would have followed his evolution in his attitude towards women as did so many, to everyone's benefit. that's how progress works

Love Me Do
As a Stones fan, i was socially obliged to be a Beatles hater - a facade i maintained til a sweater crush played me Rubber Soul. This was the one i liked most when i was a Beatles hater during the "woooo" days

if Worth & Rob are between 65-75yo they get a pass. dont see R9 as obliquely more than a novelty tune for teenage acidheads. i was like 15 and already tripping some and kept friends with a perfectly awful individual named John Ratto for the express reason that his father had a stereo room and we could listen to things backwards & loud & mega & all that. and it was cool. we would have had to be prodigies to be accessing Glenn Gould & more sophisticated sound collages. and it was a gas! Lennon had as ineffable an ability to communicate with the petulant, woundlicking, mortal masturbators of the age as McCartney did with our better musical angels. which brings us to.....

They are high-school friends of mine, Rob a year ahead of me and Worth a year behind, so early-to-mid-50s.  Worth was a geek who was in band and loved all things Beatles while the rest of us were listening to Journey.  Turned out he was right.  I gave him a biography of John Lennon while we were in high school!  He makes his living these days as a musician and DJ and is cooler than all the rest of us now.  He's a huge music snob, but he introduced me to Big Star, so I forgive him.

Rob, on the other hand, was a football player, extremely good-looking, but friendly and funny and possibly the most popular guy in his class.  Went into coaching after college.  So more like that kind of dude, but he's very smart and knows a lot about a lot.  Apparently not enough about the Beatles.  :lol:  

Krista4

2019 write-up:

Nobody panic.  This is just a ranking for the reprise, not the version that opens the record.  Actually I like some aspects of this better than the other:  the energy is higher; the playing is tighter; and I love that charging drumbeat, Paul's count-in and John's little "bye" or "goodbye" at 0:04 during that count-in, and George's guitar riffs.  They sound like they're having a blast on this one, and apparently they were, as Geoff Emerick described it:  "Everybody was really upbeat that day, and it shows.  The vibe was fantastic...I could feel the excitement building from the very first moment...  The Beatles played the whole thing live, just two guitars, bass, and drums with just a single keyboard overdub.  Ringo was pounding the hell out of his drums...  In fact, everyone was playing full-out."

The idea to have a reprise actually came from Neil Aspinall, who suggested that the master of ceremonies from the intro should come back in at the end to close the album (which this song doesn't, but it does lead into the A Day in the Life finale).  John responded to the idea with "Nobody likes a smart-####, Neil," which translated from Lennon-speak meant he was on-board with the idea.  The only reason this isn't higher is because it seems like more of a snippet than a fully formed song, at 80 seconds long with just a repeated chorus, and I want to give other deserving full songs a spot in the top 100 instead.    

Mr. krista:  "Seemed like a passing reprise.  Probably should have been another one at the beginning of the second side.  Nobody thinks of records anymore, though.  As soon as I heard that beat, I thought of the Beastie Boys song."

Suggested cover:  I'll wait to post covers with the other version.

2022 Supplement:  I should have mentioned Paul’s excellent count-in. 

This was the last song recorded for the album, and the band had very little time to devote to it as Paul was going to be flying out to reunite with Jane Asher less than 48 hours later.  The group therefore did an overnight session, ending at 6 a.m. after approximately 11 hours of work on the song.  Since this was a last-minute addition, they couldn’t get Studio Two, which they’d used for the rest of the album, as whatever band had booked it refused to cede it to The Beatles.  (I’d love to know which dickmittens those were and what their finished product sounded like.)  Instead, they were booked into the gigantic Studio One, which the engineers then had to reconfigure to try to give it a close feel and reduce the reverb.  According to Emerick, they first had to “gather up all the available tall screens and build a kind of hut, thus creating a smaller room within a room. Then I asked Mal and Neil to set up the drums and amplifiers very near one another so that there would be minimal delay on the signal that would inevitably spill between the mics, and I arranged The Beatles themselves in a semicircle so they could all see one another.”  The effect of all of this was as I mentioned in my original write-up, which is that in these close quarters the Beatles were able to soak up each other’s energies to give an exciting, rocking performance.

A couple of other interesting takes of the rhythm section (Take 9 was the final):

Take 5, with some wackier guitar parts over Paul’s guide vocal:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln76b4cTpMQ

Take 8, with Paul musing over the new speakers installed all over the walls of the studio:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu_I99DsGVg

Guido Merkins

The Sgt Pepper album was set up to be a fictional band performing a show.  They were attempting what would be known later as a concept album, but the concept was pretty loose.  John, specifically, in later years, said that “the concept worked because we said it worked, but it never got past the Sgt Pepper track and the reprise at the end of the album.”  John was fully into his Beatles bashing at the point, especially anything done by Paul, but in a way he is correct.  The songs really aren’t related much except for being tied together by the two Sgt Pepper songs.

In the case of the Reprise, it is sort of a “we hope you have enjoyed the show” at the end of the album.  It is a much tighter, more rock and roll oriented performance than the opening Sgt Pepper song.  I love Ringo’s drumming, especially during the intro.  I love John saying “bye” right in the intro.  I love the lead guitar throughout by John and George.  The other cool part is Paul’s background screaming in the outro which is heard very faintly on the stereo, but more prominently on the mono.  The song then goes straight into A Day in the Life.
This very possibly makes it into my top 25 if it were longer.  It rocks.  

I love the energy in this song, and I wish it was longer. This song is fun.

This very possibly makes it into my top 25 if it were longer.  It rocks.  
:yes:

Both the Sgt Pepper's songs are fantastic by themselves and within the album as a whole...I just wish there was more to them. Didn't rank either only because of that, but now that @simey mentioned it if this set of rankings permitted combining with Day In The Life as we did with Hearterbreaker/Livin Lovin Maid then instead of ranking neither the combo would have been #12.

Users who are viewing this thread