What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (2 Viewers)

I really don't know how to feel about the fact that I've had 10 songs ranked so far.  I think I like it.  I knew my list wouldn't include a lot of the traditional heavy hitters, and I'm good with that.  As my familiarity with the catalog has increased the last 3 years, a lot of the "album filler" tracks have really begun to stand out for me.  

5.  I'll Be Back (87)

10.   No Reply  (70)

13.  Another Girl (145)

14. Because (107)

16.  Any Time At All (90)

19. Lady Madonna (77)

21.  Please Please Me (91)

22.  Savoy Truffle (80)

23.  I Want to Tell You (128)

25.  Glass Onion (86)

This one had one of the biggest jumps for me in the last 3 years.  Big ups to @rockactionfor the inspiration.  I'm not always into John's vitriol, but his passionate wailing of "No replyyyyy" juxtaposed with his relative earlier calmness is the kind of John energy I'm about, which sounds kind of terrible since this switch-flip might explain verse 2 in "Getting Better."  
This was one of the ones I listened to that sunset night with college roommates that I spoke of earlier in the thread. Punk rock and The Beatles that night. I found it slid right in nicely with the more emo/punk stuff we were listening to. He definitely sounds passionate on this track, and his frustration went along perfectly with the soundtrack to that night. It is a fully realized song, if you ask me, so I rate it rather highly, both last time and this one. I think that if you put yourself in that time and place, with the requisite propriety of having to phone the woman's parents, saying "I nearly died," about sums it up. 

I tried to telephone
They said you were not home
That's a lie
'Cause I know where you've been
And I saw you walk in
Your door
I nearly died

Last edited by a moderator:
Anarchy99 said:
Call me the King of Chalk . . .

01 - You Can't Do That (#84)
02 - She's A Woman (#107)
03 - 
04 - 
05 - Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (#101)
06 - Magical Mystery Tour (#94)
07 - 
08 - Getting Better (#130)
09 - 
10 - 
11 - No Reply (#70)
12 - Good Morning Good Morning (#113)
13 - 
14 - Fixing A Hole (#98)
15 - 
16 - Run For You Life (#122)
17 - Baby, I'm A Rich Man (#156)
18 - Dizzy Miss Lizzy (#157)
19 - 
20 - Lady Madonna (#77)
21 - 
22 - I'm Down (#97)
23 - Old Brown Shoe (#147)
24 - Roll Over Beethoven (#150)
25 - 

wouldn't this make you king of the "non-chalk" - because you liked the less popular songs?  

wouldn't this make you king of the "non-chalk" - because you liked the less popular songs?  
Yes . . . but I have been leading the chalk rankings because I have had the most songs appear so far (15 songs). Based on the results to date, I am considered chalky, but by the end of things, I suspect I will be at or near the bottom. My remaining songs likely don't have many hits or top-ranking songs, so I could easily be the first one to have my entire list come out in addition to being non-chalky.

Mine so far:

18    Savoy Truffle    White Album    80
25    Wait    Rubber Soul    117

You're the one that said no one should have any opinion on anyone else's list . . .
I'm not sure I said that or how it's even close to relevant, but ok.

I have said that I don't care if I chose a song No. 1 and people laughed at it when the debate started on whether or not we should list who picked what (the example given was some one choosing Octopus' Garden as their top song) - maybe that's what you meant, but once again what's the relevance?

I'm not sure I said that or how it's even close to relevant, but ok.

I have said that I don't care if I chose a song No. 1 and people laughed at it when the debate started on whether or not we should list who picked what (the example given was some one choosing Octopus' Garden as their top song) - maybe that's what you meant, but once again what's the relevance?
I was referring to the LZ thread, not this one. But like you said, whatever . . .

Yes . . . but I have been leading the chalk rankings because I have had the most songs appear so far (15 songs). Based on the results to date, I am considered chalky, but by the end of things, I suspect I will be at or near the bottom. My remaining songs likely don't have many hits or top-ranking songs, so I could easily be the first one to have my entire list come out in addition to being non-chalky.
:no:  to the bolded.

The big ChalkChangeTM is starting to happen. You fall to 3rd after the next song. You have one more song listed than Sharon at the moment, so you have about a 110 point cushion on being the least chalky at the end.  Eyeball test appears that it could be really close, but still really hard to tell. 

On your thread, IS #8, had 72% of the people vote for it.  The numbers here are just a little lower than that for this top 10. We had 80% vote for the #1 song here in 2019.  That percentage would leave only 14 that are 100% finished before #1 is revealed in 2022.

The big ChalkChangeTM is starting to happen. You fall to 3rd after the next song. You have one more song listed than Sharon at the moment, so you have about a 110 point cushion on being the least chalky at the end.  Eyeball test appears that it could be really close, but still really hard to tell. 

On your thread, IS #8, had 72% of the people vote for it.  The numbers here are just a little lower than that for this top 10. We had 80% vote for the #1 song here in 2019.  That percentage would leave only 14 that are 100% finished before #1 is revealed in 2022.
I don't understand any of this, but it seems pretty cool.  

I was referring to the LZ thread, not this one. But like you said, whatever . . .
I didn't say that in there either (please link if I did) - perhaps you're referring to it when I said it was illogical of you to assume I didn't love a song because it wasn't in my top 25. Same applies here. I love many of the songs listed so far - but they just didn't make the top 25.

I feel cheated that The Squirrel did not submit his own list (as far as I know) :kicksrock:

He did, but we had to throw it out because he included post-Beatles works.  :(  

1. Squirrel

2. You’re Going to Lose That Squirrel

3. Thank You Squirrel

4. Another Squirrel

5. Hello Little Squirrel

6. The Squirrel Is Mine

7. Squirrelfriend

8. Squirrels’ School

9. Golden Earth Squirrel

10. I Lost My Little Squirrel

11. Mama’s Little Squirrel

12. Promise To You Squirrel

13. Beautiful Squirrel

14. Blackbird

15. Free As A Bird

16. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

17. And Your Bird Can Sing

18. Bluebird

19. Bye Bye Blackbird

20. Long Tailed Winter Bird

21. Jenny Wren

22. Two Magpies

23. Single Pigeon

24. Winter Bird/When Winter Comes

25. Cold Turkey

1. Squirrel

3. Thank You Squirrel

4. Another Squirrel

5. Hello Little Squirrel

6. The Squirrel Is Mine

7. Squirrelfriend

8. Squirrels’ School

9. Golden Earth Squirrel

13. Beautiful Squirrel

14. Blackbird

15. Free As A Bird

18. Bluebird

19. Bye Bye Blackbird

21. Jenny Wren

22. Two Magpies

23. Single Pigeon

25. Cold Turkey
Cold Turkey too low

For LZ, there is only one person that voted for none of the Top 3 songs. Therefore, that person will automatically be the first person to have his / her list revealed. Don't tell anyone, but the Led Zep Top 5 songs each appeared on 80% of ballots. As discussed previously, I think that probably has more to do with the Zeppelin song catalog being about 40% the size of The Beatles. With more songs to choose from, I think there would have been less consensus.

1. Squirrel

3. Thank You Squirrel

4. Another Squirrel

5. Hello Little Squirrel

6. The Squirrel Is Mine

7. Squirrelfriend

8. Squirrels’ School

9. Golden Earth Squirrel

13. Beautiful Squirrel

14. Blackbird

15. Free As A Bird

18. Bluebird

19. Bye Bye Blackbird

21. Jenny Wren

22. Two Magpies

23. Single Pigeon

25. Cold Turkey
:lmao:

would have thought Blue Jay Way would be right up Squirrel's alley.

Here, There and Everywhere
2022 Ranking: 68
2022 Lists: 7
2022 Points: 94
Ranked Highest by: @Guido Merkins(3) @FairWarning(10) @fatguyinalittlecoat (12) @Oliver Humanzee (15) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (16) @ManOfSteelhead (18)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 55T/6/60

Getz comments:  Guido goes back-to-back and Fatguy nails a three-peat and four of the last five to be posted. Binky starts to sweat. Guido's last paragraph is  :thumbup:

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  51

2019 write-up:

Here, There and Everywhere (Revolver, 1966)

I've heard and read interviews with Paul in which he says this is the favorite of his songs.  John loved it, too, deeming it one of his favorites of all the Beatles songs.  I've wondered if John's opinion of the song influenced Paul's thinking; when I've read about their friendship, it's seemed to me that Paul was often hoping for John's approval.  Paul has mentioned John's praise of the song as "one of the nicest little moments" they had together.

This is one of those perfect songs that I don't rate more highly simply because love songs are not one of my preferred genres.  Still, Paul's haunting almost-falsetto vocal set against the shimmering backing vocals are irresistible.  Paul has stated that he wanted to sound like Marianne Faithfull with the near-falsetto, and his vocal was recorded at a slower speed then sped up for the recording to give it more of the high-pitched, boyish sound.  While the short introduction and the first verse address the "here," and the second verse contemplates the "there," my favorite part of the song is the "everywhere," which is covered in the bridge.  The second verse glides upward to a new key for the bridge, where the backing vocals also cease and are replaced by a more prominent guitar; it's this wobbly, slightly menacing guitar riff (starting ~1:02) followed by the lead vocal falling back down into the original major key that's my favorite part of the song.

Mr. krista:  "Did you notice that the song is in three different time signatures?  [We listen several more times as we count it out.] I like how it works with the previous song ("Love You To").  It’s like the Eastern and Western counterparts to the same sentiment – live for the day type thing.  I like it more than I thought I did.  It really rewards conscious listening, or whatever I do while I’m playing a baseball game on my phone.  Those really beautiful multi-tracked harmonies and guileless presentation show you how much he loved Pet Sounds.  Both those records probably alienated large chunks of their fanbase."

Suggested cover:  Of course Emmylou

2022 Supplement:  In the book The Lyrics, Paul reiterates that, “if pushed,” he would name this as his favorite of all of his songs.  He mentions in that book that he and John were trying to emulate old-fashioned songs like Cole Porter’s “Anything Goes” by having “a completely rambling preamble.”  Paul’s favorite aspect of this song is its seeming circularity, comparing it to going for a walk and suddenly arriving where you’ve started, but then finding you haven’t gone in a circle and instead have come to a different beginning of the path you were taking.  Somehow that all makes sense to me when I listen to this song, and it makes me love it even more.

Paul’s favorite line in the song is “Changing my life with a wave of her hand,” which he describes as the power of the little thing.  Changing a life while doing hardly anything.  Stunningly beautiful sentiment.

Guido Merkins

John did not hand out praise easily.  So when John told Paul “I think that’s the best one on the album” Paul knew that he had written a good song.  Here, There, and Everywhere from Revolver is one of many Paul McCartney ballads.  This one stands out, however, for several reasons.  First, the influence of the Beach Boys was in full flower here with those block harmonies.  Second, the intro in the style of songs from the 1930s which are full blown intros that are not repeated anywhere else in the song.  Third, the way each verse begins with “Here” or “There” and the bridge starts with “Everywhere.”  Once again, this suggests that Paul was thinking about the songs that he heard as a young boy from his Dad.

I love the minimal instrumentation including Ringo and George’s guitar after the line “....and if she’s beside me I know I need never care…”  And it’s a small detail, but I love the little bass run that Paul does during “each one believing that love never dies…”

In closing, this song will always have a special significance for me.  It was the first song my Mom told me to go listen to when, at the age of 12 having already inhaled both of the Beatles Greatest Hits album and asked her “what else do they have?”  I listened to it on my Mom’s old mono vinyl album with pops and clicks, but it’s not exaggerating to say that I heard that song and I was in love.  I don’t think I listened to anything else for a week.  Just that one song.  Over and over again.  I hadn’t heard any pop song that beautiful before.  I didn’t know what I was listening to.  Didn’t know about the Beach Boys influence.  Didn’t know how unusual the intro was.  Didn’t even fully appreciate the instrumentation.  I just know I loved those vocals.  It hit me right in the heart.

Chalk Rankings Top 10. #68 = 105 pts. each Sponsored by: Squirrel4

1 --ManOfSteelhead---944.5

2 --Krista (Sharon)---894.5

3 --anarchy99---890

4 --fatguyinalttlecoat---884

5 --Krista (TJ/Michael)---867

6 --Shaft41---768

7 --BinkyTheDoormat---746.5

8 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---723.5

9 --Wrighteous Ray(Hub)---620.5

10 --rockaction---618.5

11 --OTB_Lifer---584

12 --Krista (Worth)---582.5

13 --Oliver Humanzee---556.5

14 --Guido Merkins---544

Here, There and Everywhere
2022 Ranking: 68
2022 Lists: 7
2022 Points: 94
Ranked Highest by: @Guido Merkins(3) @FairWarning(10) @fatguyinalittlecoat (12) @Oliver Humanzee (15) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (16) @ManOfSteelhead (18)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 55T/6/60

Getz comments:  Guido goes back-to-back and Fatguy nails a three-peat and four of the last five to be posted. Binky starts to sweat. Guido's last paragraph is  :thumbup:

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  51

2019 write-up:

Here, There and Everywhere (Revolver, 1966)

I've heard and read interviews with Paul in which he says this is the favorite of his songs.  John loved it, too, deeming it one of his favorites of all the Beatles songs.  I've wondered if John's opinion of the song influenced Paul's thinking; when I've read about their friendship, it's seemed to me that Paul was often hoping for John's approval.  Paul has mentioned John's praise of the song as "one of the nicest little moments" they had together.

This is one of those perfect songs that I don't rate more highly simply because love songs are not one of my preferred genres.  Still, Paul's haunting almost-falsetto vocal set against the shimmering backing vocals are irresistible.  Paul has stated that he wanted to sound like Marianne Faithfull with the near-falsetto, and his vocal was recorded at a slower speed then sped up for the recording to give it more of the high-pitched, boyish sound.  While the short introduction and the first verse address the "here," and the second verse contemplates the "there," my favorite part of the song is the "everywhere," which is covered in the bridge.  The second verse glides upward to a new key for the bridge, where the backing vocals also cease and are replaced by a more prominent guitar; it's this wobbly, slightly menacing guitar riff (starting ~1:02) followed by the lead vocal falling back down into the original major key that's my favorite part of the song.

Mr. krista:  "Did you notice that the song is in three different time signatures?  [We listen several more times as we count it out.] I like how it works with the previous song ("Love You To").  It’s like the Eastern and Western counterparts to the same sentiment – live for the day type thing.  I like it more than I thought I did.  It really rewards conscious listening, or whatever I do while I’m playing a baseball game on my phone.  Those really beautiful multi-tracked harmonies and guileless presentation show you how much he loved Pet Sounds.  Both those records probably alienated large chunks of their fanbase."

Suggested cover:  Of course Emmylou

2022 Supplement:  In the book The Lyrics, Paul reiterates that, “if pushed,” he would name this as his favorite of all of his songs.  He mentions in that book that he and John were trying to emulate old-fashioned songs like Cole Porter’s “Anything Goes” by having “a completely rambling preamble.”  Paul’s favorite aspect of this song is its seeming circularity, comparing it to going for a walk and suddenly arriving where you’ve started, but then finding you haven’t gone in a circle and instead have come to a different beginning of the path you were taking.  Somehow that all makes sense to me when I listen to this song, and it makes me love it even more.

Paul’s favorite line in the song is “Changing my life with a wave of her hand,” which he describes as the power of the little thing.  Changing a life while doing hardly anything.  Stunningly beautiful sentiment.

Guido Merkins

John did not hand out praise easily.  So when John told Paul “I think that’s the best one on the album” Paul knew that he had written a good song.  Here, There, and Everywhere from Revolver is one of many Paul McCartney ballads.  This one stands out, however, for several reasons.  First, the influence of the Beach Boys was in full flower here with those block harmonies.  Second, the intro in the style of songs from the 1930s which are full blown intros that are not repeated anywhere else in the song.  Third, the way each verse begins with “Here” or “There” and the bridge starts with “Everywhere.”  Once again, this suggests that Paul was thinking about the songs that he heard as a young boy from his Dad.

I love the minimal instrumentation including Ringo and George’s guitar after the line “....and if she’s beside me I know I need never care…”  And it’s a small detail, but I love the little bass run that Paul does during “each one believing that love never dies…”

In closing, this song will always have a special significance for me.  It was the first song my Mom told me to go listen to when, at the age of 12 having already inhaled both of the Beatles Greatest Hits album and asked her “what else do they have?”  I listened to it on my Mom’s old mono vinyl album with pops and clicks, but it’s not exaggerating to say that I heard that song and I was in love.  I don’t think I listened to anything else for a week.  Just that one song.  Over and over again.  I hadn’t heard any pop song that beautiful before.  I didn’t know what I was listening to.  Didn’t know about the Beach Boys influence.  Didn’t know how unusual the intro was.  Didn’t even fully appreciate the instrumentation.  I just know I loved those vocals.  It hit me right in the heart.
Another of the 35 “near misses” for me.

For LZ, there is only one person that voted for none of the Top 3 songs. Therefore, that person will automatically be the first person to have his / her list revealed. Don't tell anyone, but the Led Zep Top 5 songs each appeared on 80% of ballots. As discussed previously, I think that probably has more to do with the Zeppelin song catalog being about 40% the size of The Beatles. With more songs to choose from, I think there would have been less consensus.
I have a feeling that is me since I only have one song left.

NM, I saw your post, I have 2 left.

If I Fell
2022 Ranking: 67
2022 Lists: 10
2022 Points: 96
Ranked Highest by: @PIK95(4) @turnjose7(12) @ManOfSteelhead(14) Krista(Sharon) (14) @Shaft41(17) @Eephus(19) @pecorino (22) @FairWarning (24)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 92T/1/19

Getz: YT live from 1964. Nice increase this time!  Nine more votes and 77 more points lead to the song moving up 25 spots. Pecorino goes down!!  Only two left that haven’t had a song posted! 

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  55

2019 write-up:

If I Fell (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Never let it be said that John couldn't or wouldn't write a helluva ballad.  This really isn't my kind of song; it's not just that overall I prefer rockers to ballads, but this one sounds so old-fashioned.  Despite the old-timey sound, though, the lyrics are a bit precarious for the time, as they seem to suggest that the author is planning to leave his wife for another woman.  Not that John would ever do that, of course.

The sublime harmonies and unison singing sound to me as full and lush as on any Beatles song, despite being only two-part harmonies (in some cases double-tracked).  Some of this sound might have come from the fact that John and Paul insisted on singing close in on the same microphone during the recording.  The Beatles frequently performed this one in concert, which is a marvel to me given the fact they could barely hear themselves over the screams.  One of the intriguing parts of this song is that it's difficult or impossible to identify what is the melody v. the harmony.  While Paul stays on the higher "harmony," and John does begin the song on melody, the two voices rise and fall, winding over and crossing each other repeatedly, sometimes stopping to sing in unison, weaving in and out of upper and lower harmonies.  When I try to sing along, I realize that I've jumped from the John part to the Paul part and vice versa, and I'm not sure if I'm ever actually following the melody or the harmony.

Another of the most fascinating aspects of this song that elevates it to such a high level for me is the structure.  The song starts with a preamble that's not repeated again, in a minor key that then goes through a few key changes before getting to the song's primary key.  The first verse then proceeds normally, but the second verse is suddenly truncated in the middle of a line to lead into a bridge.  Within that bridge, the key again slips into a minor key on the words "and I."  That pattern is then repeated for a truncated third verse/bridge, but then the fourth verse is a repeat of the third verse, but extended instead of truncated, leading to a conclusion with a new guitar fill.  Notice one thing that's missing?  No chorus!

One more little tidbit to notice is the lyric, “And I found that love was more than just holding hands."  Is that John indicating he's grown from (or making fun of) their prior effort, "I Want To Hold Your Hand"?

This song shows up in a scene that might be my favorite in the whole movie, when the guys are setting up their equipment and John starts singing the song to Ringo.  So cute!  That probably elevates it another several spots for me.

Mr. krista:  "It’s really interesting.  I have nothing to say you haven’t.  You schooled me pretty good on that song there.  It’s dreamlike in that it doesn’t go anywhere but you feel like you’ve traveled somewhere, but it never repeats, and the beat stays the same."

Suggested cover:  Sananda Maitreya (fka Terence Trent D'Arby)  DAY-UM.

2022 Supplement:  I sold this one short in 2019 and would have it ~40 on my re-ranking this year.  Those harmonies are too perfect to have outside of my top 50.  I mentioned in 2019 that I’m never sure which is the melody and which is the harmony as Paul and John seem to trade it, but this home demo of the song from John might tell me I’ve been thinking of the melody wrong:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ahSfJjqPw  (By the way, there’s something so sweet about that demo that it breaks my heart.) 

John wrote the lyrics to this song while on a plane, using the back of a Valentine’s Day card:  https://imgur.com/n3GUHfF .  The card sold at Sotheby’s in 1988 for £8580.  I can’t imagine what it would be worth today.

Guido Merkins

My gateway drug for the Beatles was the Red Greatest Hits album.  Even back then, I always wondered why If I Fell wasn’t on the album.  In my mind, it’s always been one of the Beatles best songs.

This is an instance where the tone of the song completely obscures the fact that this one quirky little song.  First, it is John doing that John thing and basically putting his insecurity on display, wanting the girl, but not wanting to get hurt. Second, that intro….so unique in the world of popular music in 1964.  The intro is not repeated anywhere else in the song, so it’s like one of those old tin pan alley songs from the 1940s with an intro that stands on its own separate from the rest of the song. Also with the intro, it walks down from Ebm, to D, to C#, to Bbm, which really gives you almost no clue as to the key to the rest of the song (D major).  It goes past that D chord so fast that you have no clue.  It really doesn’t settle in until it gets to the Em chord (just holding hands).  Third, the verses are major and the bridge parts are minor.  The song basically has no chorus.  Also, a D9 chord, not at all typical of a pop record in 1964.

However, it’s difficult to notice anything like that because, the fact is, this is one of the best vocals on record from anyone.  John and Paul singing together in harmony for most of it.  So much so that it’s hard to figure out who’s singing lead and who’s singing harmony.  The mono version is flawless.  The stereo version, Paul’s voice cracks the second time they go to “if our new love was in vain.”  

Songwriting this complex was unheard of in 1964.  Heck, it’s pretty much unheard of today.  For those that think that the Beatles didn’t get “good” until Rubber Soul, yep, you’re wrong.  This stands up with anything they ever did.

Chalk Rankings Top 10. #67 = 106 pts. each Sponsored by: Squirrel4

1 --ManOfSteelhead---1050.5

2 --Krista (Sharon)---1000.5

3 --anarchy99---890

4 --fatguyinalttlecoat---884

5 --Shaft41---874

6 --Krista (TJ/Michael)---867

7 --BinkyTheDoormat---746.5

8 --Man Of Constant Sorrow---723.5

9 --Wrighteous Ray(Hub)---620.5

10 --rockaction---618.5

Top 10 Least Chalk