What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Most VALUABLE / LEAST VALUABLE fantasy players............. (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
There usually is some kind of thread around here concerning the fantasy MVPs and LVPs.
A quick check, and I didn't see one of these for this year, or if it is, sorry for overlooking it.
Obviously we should keep injury out of it, and stick to the guys that played most of the year.....and for sure most people's memories will be strong on the championship game, but I try and remember who got me there, not just who won that particular week. (this weekend for most)

I would say barring a Derrick Henry surprise start this week, JOSH JACOBS is stacking up to be the RB1 overall in standard. (I believe Ekeler and CMC are slightly in front in PPR)
Actually, if Ekeler outscores Jacobs by 20+ points this week, he might actually become the overall RB1 in ANY FORMAT.

I think Jacobs is pretty much the league winner
this season, since you could get him in the 5-6 rounds or later. I snagged him and Dameon Pierce at the 5/6 turn in one particular league.

Another is JAMAAL WILLIAMS who you could get extremely late, easily into the double digit rounds in most standard-ish leagues. He fell off the last few weeks, but he was a top 5 guy for the majority of the season.

My vote for LEAST VALUABLE FANTASY PLAYER is probably going to have to be Diontae Johnson. Here is a guy that was drafted to be a WR1/WR2 type guy, and even though he was SEVENTH IN TARGETS FOR WRs , he won you precisely ZERO WEEKS..........and not a single touchdown. Just flat awful.
I expected a slight dip with the QB downgrade , but this was terrible.

Who you got...........? :football:

There usually is some kind of thread around here concerning the fantasy MVPs and LVPs.
A quick check, and I didn't see one of these for this year, or if it is, sorry for overlooking it.
Obviously we should keep injury out of it, and stick to the guys that played most of the year.....and for sure most people's memories will be strong on the championship game, but I try and remember who got me there, not just who won that particular week. (this weekend for most)

I would say barring a Derrick Henry surprise start this week, JOSH JACOBS is stacking up to be the RB1 overall in standard. (I believe Ekeler and CMC are slightly in front in PPR)
Actually, if Ekeler outscores Jacobs by 20+ points this week, he might actually become the overall RB1 in ANY FORMAT.

I think Jacobs is pretty much the league winner
this season, since you could get him in the 5-6 rounds or later. I snagged him and Dameon Pierce at the 5/6 turn in one particular league.

Another is JAMAAL WILLIAMS who you could get extremely late, easily into the double digit rounds in most standard-ish leagues. He fell off the last few weeks, but he was a top 5 guy for the majority of the season.

My vote for LEAST VALUABLE FANTASY PLAYER is probably going to have to be Diontae Johnson. Here is a guy that was drafted to be a WR1/WR2 type guy, and even though he was SEVENTH IN TARGETS FOR WRs , he won you precisely ZERO WEEKS..........and not a single touchdown. Just flat awful.
I expected a slight dip with the QB downgrade , but this was terrible.

Who you got...........? :football:
I can give TWO least valuable players from my save redraft team drafting from the 1 slot:
J Taylor and Dionte were my 1st and 4th round picks, tucking in Deebo and Fournette for good measure. No shock that i was in last place the whole season.
most valuable: agree on Jacobs for sure as a late RB2 for played close to RB1 overall. Add in Hockenson and Kirk for guys late in their tiers who game major value at TE and WR

My MVP has probably been Justin Jefferson. Week in and week out, he’s just a FF monster. Only really had 2 bad games, week 2 @ philly and inexplicably week 4 vs DET (IIRC Cousins imploded) - not coincidentally, those were my only 2 losses this year.

I had other honorable mentions that provided a spark here and there - Higgins, Barkley, Stevenson, Dillon, Jamaal Williams for a few weeks, Pollard before I dealt him, and much of my IDP squad.

But JJ has been my rock. Really hoping for a strong finish.

My LVP has easily been Russel Wilson, who I dealt in a package for Brady, the Co-LVP. Thank god for whomever dropped Justin Fields, because man that kid gave me a run for the ages - literally. Added him week 7 & he carried me for 5 weeks

Fields is probably my co-MVP, and like JJ I’m hoping to squeeze just a little more magic out of him in week 17.

I have three LVPs on one team. (Which somehow is in the championship)

Darren Waller - injuries were a factor but in ppg he’s not a top 12, drafted top 5 by most.

Mike Evans - I forget his ADP but had to be in the WR2 range, a popular “safety” Pick. Currently Wr30 ppg in ppr.

Diontae Johnson - many of us had high expectations tempered by the QB situation, but still thought to be a decent wr3 at worst. Currently wr44.

But, the winner is probably Kyle Pitts with runners up Russel Wilson and Courtland Sutton.

I got Joe Burrow about 3 or 4 rounds after the bigger name Mahomes and Lamar and he's scored in Mahomes tier and was even or a little ahead of Lamar before his injury.

LVP - The entire Bucs O
MVP - Jefferson and Jacobs (has to be jacobs just because he slid in so many drafts). Took him end of the second personally...

As a corollary to Jamaal Williams, my LVP is easily Swift. We’ve discussed him ad nauseum all season, so the specifics are obvious.

My MVP is Etienne even though he tailed off a bit down the stretch. Came into the season looking very promising, then looked like a disastrous pick when Robinson looked good the first handful of weeks, then exploded for a stretch as the bell cow.

Not completely on point but just an observation....

Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffery are about to start their last fantasy matchup without missing any time this year

I don't know anyone who had confidence in that becoming a fact in August
Not that I expected them to make it the entire season but I was able to grab both of these guys in a couple leagues and it has been great. They were kind of the best combo of upside and just enough hate that you could get both of them if you were bold enough. My thoughts were that it is likely at least one misses some time but by having both I would hopefully counteract the loss of the other to some degree. I also went RB heavy to make sure I covered in case of injury (in one I got Javonte and who would have guessed he was the guy that would go down).

Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffery are about to start their last fantasy matchup without missing any time this year

I did, well kind of. I wrote up a thing this summer, that injury prone isn't really a thing, unless its a guy coming off a major injury (Achilles, neck/spine, multiple concussions) or a guy coming off significant repeated issues to 1 body part (like Michael Thomas) anyway the crux of the idea, was that I didn't get taking Taylor over CMC, or Najee over Barkley because of them being perceived as more durable.

As far as fantasy MVP, I think without question its Travis Kelce, The drop off from Kelce to TJ Hockenson (the #2 TE) is equal to the difference between Hockenson and Robert Tonyan who is TE31. Starting Kelce is basically akin to getting to start 1 more player than your opponent every single week.

Fantasy LVP, I'd go with Jonathan Taylor. He's missed 4 games, but even when healthy he was only RB18 on a PPG basis. Personally, I had him 3 overall behind CMC and Jefferson coming into the year, so obviously I didn't end up with him in any league, but its not like I thought he'd be a horrible pick by any means. Probably sunk just about any team that took him at 1.

Surprised at the Diontae Johnson mentions for LVP. Disappointing for sure but in my leagues he was drafted as WR22, is WR44, has not missed a game, and has done so in a fashion that is consistent and does not normally kill you most weeks. Most of my teams with him in my lineups on a constant basis actually fared well. That just does not seem to rise to level's considered one of the most disappointing players to me.

I think this is all relative to the cost so in that sense Josh Jacobs is the run away winner for fantasy MVP and it's not close. Drafted as RB27 in my leagues and currently RB3.

Travis Kelce even with the cost merits consderation, especially in TE premium leagues, for the whopping advantage he gave you every week over pretty much every other TE, especially when Andrews declined.

In terms of LVP. In TE premium leagues it's Pitts. In non-TE premium it's Pitts or Swift.

Both are coming from my superflex league:

MVP - Hurts. The rushing TDs and the improved offense overall was huge. Big reason for #1 overall finish.
LVP - Wilson. Could've sunk my entire team. Thankfully, and ironically, a pickup of Geno saved me.

I had an obvious MVFP on my top winning team,Josh Jacobs. But right up there with him was Davonte Smith. I had Cooper Kupp on this team and of course he was an automatic every week. When he went down I had to plug Davonte in,and he had enough big games in crucial weeks for me to win the league.

Least valuable on that team was Matthew Stafford,had to start streaming pretty early because of his play,fortunatley Jarrod Goff and Daniel Jones fit the bill.

MVFP: Jalen Hurts/AJ Brown stack
LVFP: Swift. Not on an overall basis because he had couple good games and quite a few decent ones. But versus what has been expected.

Offensive MVP = CMC & Hockenson. CMC because this offseason I’ll bet a lot of us might have thought to move him but saw garbage value. He’s now back to RB4 in PPR so glad fear scared off the offers. Hock was already a good TE, but now in Minnesota he’s only behind the cheat code (Kelce)

IDP MVP = Maxx Crosby & Jalen Pitre. Crosby has had a steady incline across the years and now is DL1. Pitre as a rookie is DB1, nuff said. Special nod to Zaire Franklin coming out of nowhere for the Colts too.

Offensive LVP = Pitts, Jonathan Taylor, Diontae Johnson. All well underperformed for what they were drafted to be. Special recognition to Michael Thomas for the reverse CMC this year for those who believed he might finally be back.

Defensive LVP = Shaquille Leonard, Joey Bosa, Xavier McKinney. All three were injured for long stints and even when healthy weren’t ever game changers this season.

not sure where to fit this nugget so I'll share it here...

13 Week 1 starting QBs are not playing week 17
  • Kyler Murray
  • Jalen Hurts*
  • Lamar Jackson
  • Tua Tagovailoa
  • Trey Lance
  • Matthew Stafford
  • Jameis Winston
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Derek Carr
  • Jacoby Brissett
  • Mitchell Trubisky
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Matt Ryan
Does not include
  • Baker Mayfield - started for a different team
  • Zach Wilson - would have been the starter if healthy
*ETA - Hurts got in a limited practice Thursday and may play

My MVP has been Lamb. Got him 2.11 and he’s just steadily produced all year above expectation.

I picked up Stevenson early when an owner dropped him and used him during his hot streak. I benched him W1 playoffs. Started W2 still advanced

LVP probably TE - Ertz was ok early on. Then I traded for Pitts then he got hurt a game later. I traded for Njoku then and he got banged up, had Engram and cut him when Njoku was back and then Engram exploded. Did use Taysom Hill last week.

Some guy drafted Likely in the 12th round of a very competitive redraft league. I remember at the time saying Likely the bust of the year. Some guys will play 1 in 100 long shots in an effort to look like the smartest guy in the room. Obviously draft position is important, but Pitts posted 7.6 per game while Likely was 4.5 ppg. While were talking about disapponting TEs, Henry is also in the conversation.

Actually looking back, we drafted the evening after the news broke that Brian Robinson got shot. Someone took him anyway, super late, and is playing him in the Championship, so maybe him.
My main redraft league drafted the day before Opening Day. I took Robinson in the 11th round and am in the title game. It definitely helped that he came back not long after I lost Javonte, my 2nd round pick.

My MVP has been Lamb. Got him 2.11 and he’s just steadily produced all year above expectation.

I picked up Stevenson early when an owner dropped him and used him during his hot streak. I benched him W1 playoffs. Started W2 still advanced

LVP probably TE - Ertz was ok early on. Then I traded for Pitts then he got hurt a game later. I traded for Njoku then and he got banged up, had Engram and cut him when Njoku was back and then Engram exploded. Did use Taysom Hill last week.
Cee Dee Lamb has 102/1,307/8TDs which is strong but certainly what might be expected from a high pick.

What makes him a little more special is what he's done over the last 3 weeks in the Playoffs or Money Rounds
He has to be No 1-2-3 when we close the books Monday Night for Weeks 15-17
I was not a believer preseason and think he has reached his peak.
Eventually Dallas will have a stronger WR2/3 and take at least some of the targets away from CDL
Hats off for what he's done down the stretch here.

I did, well kind of. I wrote up a thing this summer, that injury prone isn't really a thing, unless its a guy coming off a major injury (Achilles, neck/spine, multiple concussions) or a guy coming off significant repeated issues to 1 body part (like Michael Thomas) anyway the crux of the idea, was that I didn't get taking Taylor over CMC, or Najee over Barkley because of them being perceived as more durable.

As far as fantasy MVP, I think without question its Travis Kelce, The drop off from Kelce to TJ Hockenson (the #2 TE) is equal to the difference between Hockenson and Robert Tonyan who is TE31. Starting Kelce is basically akin to getting to start 1 more player than your opponent every single week.

Fantasy LVP, I'd go with Jonathan Taylor. He's missed 4 games, but even when healthy he was only RB18 on a PPG basis. Personally, I had him 3 overall behind CMC and Jefferson coming into the year, so obviously I didn't end up with him in any league, but its not like I thought he'd be a horrible pick by any means. Probably sunk just about any team that took him at 1.
you nailed it—it’s like getting an extra player to start most weeks

Throw Dalvin Cook into that pot too.

Remember these names when you're passing on D'Andre next summer

;)

I kid, I kid. Ain't nobody targeting a situational third stringer.

Guys are "injury prone" until they're not.

Fred Taylor and Matthew Stafford are a couple guys who earned the dude is made of glass moniker.

Fred Taylor and Matthew Stafford are a couple guys who earned the dude is made of glass moniker.
Fragile Freddy. Couldn’t ever quit having that guy.

As for LVP, I drafted JT, Mike Evans and Mark Andrews. I submit all 3. Miraculously made it to the semi’s with my best GM season ever (post draft).

A lot of the MVP’s got people to the playoffs but haven’t helped them since. Jacobs is one - has to be the #1 MVP

Top 25 ranked by consecutive regular season starts, updated through 2022 season and playoffs
RankQuarterbackStreak startStreak endTeamsRegular
season
PlayoffsTotalReferences
1Brett Favre9/27/199212/5/2010GB/NYJ/MIN29724321[6][7][8]
2Philip Rivers9/11/20061/3/2021SD/LAC/IND24012252[9][10]
3Eli Manning11/21/200411/23/2017NYG21012222[11][12]
4Peyton Manning9/6/19981/2/2011IND20819227[6][13][14]
5Matt Ryan12/20/200910/20/2019ATL1549163[15][16]
6Russell Wilson9/9/201210/7/2021SEA14916165[17][18]
7Matthew Stafford9/11/201111/3/2019DET1363139

Top 25 ranked by consecutive regular season starts, updated through 2022 season and playoffs
RankQuarterbackStreak startStreak endTeamsRegular
season
PlayoffsTotalReferences
1Brett Favre9/27/199212/5/2010GB/NYJ/MIN29724321[6][7][8]
2Philip Rivers9/11/20061/3/2021SD/LAC/IND24012252[9][10]
3Eli Manning11/21/200411/23/2017NYG21012222[11][12]
4Peyton Manning9/6/19981/2/2011IND20819227[6][13][14]
5Matt Ryan12/20/200910/20/2019ATL1549163[15][16]
6Russell Wilson9/9/201210/7/2021SEA14916165[17][18]
7Matthew Stafford9/11/201111/3/2019DET1363139
Guys aren't "injury prone" until they are.

To me in order to be considered in the LVP category they have to be in your lineup week in and week out and kill your team. Taylor is borderline because while he was in he was not what was expected. He still won you a couple weeks but by in large he was not what you needed.

I think a guys like Pitts or Swift more fit the bill. They were in your lineup and healthy and just killed you every week. Then you had to sit them and clog up a roster spot while healthy because they weren't producing. These are the type of players that should be considered.

The worst guy to have is a guy you gotta play and then he never helps you. He is too "good" to drop so he clogs your roster all year. That is a LVP. My vote is PItts. Him finally getting injured put me out of my misery as I could just move on. High pick, sucked, for half the year but you had to play him. The injury was the only saving grace.

So true -- Kelce owner in our standard league about to win it all -- (didn't hurt he had Hurts and AJ Brown :sneaky:)

To me in order to be considered in the LVP category they have to be in your lineup week in and week out and kill your team. Taylor is borderline because while he was in he was not what was expected. He still won you a couple weeks but by in large he was not what you needed.

I think a guys like Pitts or Swift more fit the bill. They were in your lineup and healthy and just killed you every week. Then you had to sit them and clog up a roster spot while healthy because they weren't producing. These are the type of players that should be considered.

The worst guy to have is a guy you gotta play and then he never helps you. He is too "good" to drop so he clogs your roster all year. That is a LVP. My vote is PItts. Him finally getting injured put me out of my misery as I could just move on. High pick, sucked, for half the year but you had to play him. The injury was the only saving grace.
Same with Andrews and Evans. It just seems impossible to think neither one has scored a TD since week 4 or so. And we are in week 17. Projections ranged from 10-16 each. They are about half of the low end combined. And must starts.

I wasn't worried about them. At least any more so than any other rb.

It depends on what each manager's replacement does this week, but the MVP is Hurts. His per game rates align with Mahomes and Allen, a few points ahead of Burrow, then there's a big dive to the next group. The only other players that offered that sort of weekly advantage were generally top 25 picks.

Lamar probably the most frustrating to own. Two huge games early meant you could never bench him because of that ceiling. Never got close to it again.

Cee Dee Lamb has 102/1,307/8TDs which is strong but certainly what might be expected from a high pick.

What makes him a little more special is what he's done over the last 3 weeks in the Playoffs or Money Rounds
Eventually Dallas will have a stronger WR2/3 and take at least some of the targets away from CDL
Lamb had been a disappointment until a few weeks ago (compared to where I took him and opportunity cost of who was still available), but they've really leaned on him. Very happy with the PPR numbers when I really needed him to come through.
The rest of my team may not have always followed suit, but Lamb has more than done his part. These days, a guy who gives a fair return for a high pick is to be appreciated.

As a person who took Mattison and waited (and waited) for that lottery ticket to pay off...I can confirm this was an unexpected season of durability for Cook. Good for him.

I admit I haven't been paying enough attention to this guy, but Miles Sanders has had a pretty impressive year, especially with a running QB. I wasn't much interested on draft day, either. He might not be the fantasy MVP, but I bet he was a solid piece to a lot of playoff lineups.

Allen Robinson was an absolute joke. Josh Jacobs was an absolute steal. Cmc was a steal too if you got him mid first. Chase Edmonds also, wow, horrible

Lamb had been a disappointment until a few weeks ago (compared to where I took him and opportunity cost of who was still available), but they've really leaned on him. Very happy with the PPR numbers when I really needed him to come through.
The rest of my team may not have always followed suit, but Lamb has more than done his part. These days, a guy who gives a fair return for a high pick is to be appreciated.
I got him at 2.11 when his ADP was late first, early second. He stayed healthy and was consistent even with a backup QB for a bit. Very pleased with the pick and his up-tick in the fantasy playoffs.

there was a discussion this am on a fantasy talk show that league winners should consider donating a portion of their winnings to a charity that their fantasy team mvp supports, which was a pretty cool idea imo

My LVP was Alvin Kamara. You'd expect more than 4 TDs and one 100 yard rushing game from your number 2 pick. My FA pickups of Kenneth Walker and D'Onta Foreman were better. Heck, even Latavious Murray scored 5 TDs.

Austin Ekeler has been a gem and my MVP vote.

Keenan Allen and Kamara were busts.

The # of "Taylor is the top back surpassing Henry" tweets and comments have me figuring he's the LVP here.
Also, pretty much every Colt. They were such a media darling this past off-season too.
Saturday and his first win even stirred up some of this love too.

Saquan has exceeded any expectations due to not missing games-as was said earlier

He exploded after their BYE in week 9, he was WR21 in PPG through the 1st 8 weeks (Dak hurt again for some of that.) He’s been WR2 in PPG since week 10.

Fantasy MVPs - Ekeler and Kelce. Honorable Mentions to Tyreek Hill, Pollard and Jacobs.
Fantasy Busts - Taylor, R Wilson, Kamara, Allen Robinson, Andrews and the LVP or all - Pitts.

Basically all Broncos were LVP’s. Wilson played like trash, Javonte got injured, Gordon fumbled his way out of the 1b job, Jeudy got hurt again and both he and Sutton were extremely inconsistent when they were on the field. Albert O was a non-factor, Dulcich was boom and bust after he broke out. What a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread