What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Subscriber Contest Talk - Old Way vs Other Ideas? (1 Viewer)

How important to you is The Footballguys Premium Subscriber Contest?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi folks. Looking for feedback here. Thank you for the insights.

As we think about what the format might be for the 2022 Footballguys premium subscriber contest, I want to get your thoughts.

For years we've had essentially the same format for the Premium Subscriber Contest where it's a salary cap contest where you select players and keep the total under a certain amount. The lineups lock before the season starts and you're unable to make any changes after that. Then it's a survivor style with cut downs each week. You all know the drill. I know many of you love it. I do too.

But I also hear folks asking about a more traditional type contest that's more like a normal fantasy league. Where all the people are divided up into 10 or 12 team leagues and each league has a draft and they play this season out like a normal fantasy league would up through about week 12 or so. No trades are allowed to limit collusion and that type of thing. Then a certain number of teams from league are combined into another league and those teams play for the championship. Scott Fish bowl and FFPC and others use this format.

My guess is the people from the forum vastly prefer the way we've always done it. If you're here, you self-selected that's the kind of thing you like.

But polls are easy to do and I want to always listen to our folks so I thought I'd ask here.

Let's hear it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maintain the status quo for me, although while the contest only awards prizes for those in the US (which I appreciate may well be mostly beyond your control), any format is only going to attract five minutes of my time per season

I say keep it the same or at least very similar.

I like it as is and selfishly I think it gives a slight advantage to those that have been losing at for many years.

Maintain the status quo for me, although while the contest only awards prizes for those in the US (which I appreciate may well be mostly beyond your control), any format is only going to attract five minutes of my time per season

We for sure don't have any control over legal restrictions on who can win. I wish we did as the expense and cost to us is exactly the same regardless of who's eligible. There are even still a few states in the US who can't win and I hate that too. 

I think I understand the folks that love the old style Salary Cap Survivor style.

For the folks that might like the FFPC or Scott Fish Bowl style more like regular fantasy football leagues, can y'all elaborate? Would love to hear from you. 

And for sure, there are no right or wrong answers here. This is me asking for your opinions.

What about a weekly DFS format? The current set up is too luck oriented and you can't make changes.

Possibly. I have heard some folks ask about having a contest that had more weekly involvement as opposed to the current contest that you lock before the season starts. On the flipside, it's nice to have some things that you can spend a lot of time on, "finish" your work on it and then let it run. I get that too. 

A well-designed poll (for probative value) typically produces lop-sided results....congrats on a good poll design.  :D

:confused:   Can you elaborate? And what is the probative value on this?

I was trying to get a sense for what format folks preferred and how important it was to them. I know the current format is very popular so I assumed most would vote that way but I didn't mean to lead anyone. Actually the opposite as I need to know what folks think. 

The stakes aren't high enough for the new format either. 

Thanks. Can you elaborate on this? Both formats would have the same stakes. 

Which interestingly, are about $34,000 higher than just about any other subscriber contest from our competitors out there from what I'm aware of... ;)  

Thanks. Can you elaborate on this? Both formats would have the same stakes. 

Which interestingly, are about $34,000 higher than just about any other subscriber contest from our competitors out there from what I'm aware of... ;)  
Not a criticism of the stakes at all. 

The FFPC format is mostly about winning your league. We would have over 1000 leagues. I don't think the prize pool is enough to divide up that much. I think you would forgo league prizes, which would feel weird.

Also the stakes are more just in direct comparison to other leagues most of us do. 

Not a criticism of the stakes at all. 

The FFPC format is mostly about winning your league. We would have over 1000 leagues. I don't think the prize pool is enough to divide up that much. I think you would forgo league prizes, which would feel weird.

Also the stakes are more just in direct comparison to other leagues most of us do. 

No worries. I didn't take that as criticism at all. 

I do sometimes get discouraged as I see competitors do a contest where the grand prize is a trophy while we're writing checks for tens of thousands of dollars and I wonder if people notice the difference.

If we did an FFPC style format for this, we'd have to figure out something that rewarded league winners and then a grand prize or something. I'd think we'd find a way to spread the $35,000 around there to have folks interested. But not sure. 

No worries. I didn't take that as criticism at all. 

I do sometimes get discouraged as I see competitors do a contest where the grand prize is a trophy while we're writing checks for tens of thousands of dollars and I wonder if people notice the difference.

If we did an FFPC style format for this, we'd have to figure out something that rewarded league winners and then a grand prize or something. I'd think we'd find a way to spread the $35,000 around there to have folks interested. But not sure. 
If you made the league prize $20 it would be most of the prize money. This would also feel like a very small prize because it would be compared to other leagues you compete in.

You certainly won't lose me as a subscriber if the contest changes, but it would make me sad. The current contest is fun.

If you made the league prize $20 it would be most of the prize money. This would also feel like a very small prize because it would be compared to other leagues you compete in.

You certainly won't lose me as a subscriber if the contest changes, but it would make me sad. The current contest is fun.

Understood. And it certainly seems like most folks here like the current format as I expected. All good.

My primary concern is getting more value out of the $35,000 we spend on this. That's my main thing. I just want to be a good steward of how we spend the money and that means getting the most out of it and giving the customers the most value and fun. 

Understood. And it certainly seems like most folks here like the current format as I expected. All good.

My primary concern is getting more value out of the $35,000 we spend on this. That's my main thing. I just want to be a good steward of how we spend the money and that means getting the most out of it and giving the customers the most value and fun. 
Knee jerk reaction is the FBG subscriber contest should remain similar to how it’s been for years. Agonizing over Rooster sizes and finding value up to the cutoff makes the preseason more interesting.  A number of message board members have bonded because of your contest. It’s also great being different from the familiar fantasy leagues.  Don’t have one more lineup we need to track and set.  It’s pure fun and praying our players don’t get injured/Covid.

However, reading your message about value gave me pause to think. Honestly, I would pay more for a traditional season long contest >>> set it and forget it elimination format especially when we are powerless to adjust for dead money. Board members in the subscriber thread will still get to bond and cheer each other on. Another plus, we won’t lose core contributors until much later in the season due to attrition.

My vote is to add more value to our FBG subscription 

Possibly. I have heard some folks ask about having a contest that had more weekly involvement as opposed to the current contest that you lock before the season starts. On the flipside, it's nice to have some things that you can spend a lot of time on, "finish" your work on it and then let it run. I get that too. 

Actually, the more I think about it, I don't like the current set up all that much. It's interesting and fun to figure out a team, find the values, how many players, etc.  But as soon as week 1 starts then it kind of sucks.

I think the DFS idea would be a lot better because it would be all of that, but every week. Keep the current setup (you decide how many players, large rosters, etc.) just make it weekly. And default to the previous week's lineup if one wasn't submitted.

:confused:   Can you elaborate? And what is the probative value on this?

I was trying to get a sense for what format folks preferred and how important it was to them. I know the current format is very popular so I assumed most would vote that way but I didn't mean to lead anyone. Actually the opposite as I need to know what folks think. 
Don't overthink it.  I was simply observing that the poll validated that the current format is overwhelmingly supported.  👍

I admit to some confusion here.  Last season I thought your position was that the 35K was unsustainable given rising costs etc.  Now you seem to be saying you're just looking to diversify how you distribute the 35K.  Whatever combination is correct I'm ok with.  

35K - X = forward budget, X determined by Joe based on his costs.

I would encourage you to keep most of the payout in the contest, but ultimately that's your call too.  Maybe something like....

Subscriber contest prize money = 80% * (35K - X)

Other creative / fun / distributions = 20% * (35K - X)

Years ago, the contest included a prize for high score in Weeks 4, 8, 12 or somesuch.  I recall because I won one of those weeks and got a big screen projector out of the deal.  That was really cool.  But again, whatever you decide is coolio Julio.

I admit to some confusion here.  Last season I thought your position was that the 35K was unsustainable given rising costs etc.  Now you seem to be saying you're just looking to diversify how you distribute the 35K.  Whatever combination is correct I'm ok with.  

35K - X = forward budget, X determined by Joe based on his costs.

I would encourage you to keep most of the payout in the contest, but ultimately that's your call too.  Maybe something like....

Subscriber contest prize money = 80% * (35K - X)

Other creative / fun / distributions = 20% * (35K - X)

Years ago, the contest included a prize for high score in Weeks 4, 8, 12 or somesuch.  I recall because I won one of those weeks and got a big screen projector out of the deal.  That was really cool.  But again, whatever you decide is coolio Julio.

Thanks. And I'm sorry if I've been unclear on my position. Last year we did a good bit of talking on how I think we may fail to get enough value out of the $35,000 we spend on the contest. And for sure, that's all my fault. We've had lots of discussion on whether we're being good stewards of this money and if we're using it in the most responsible way. 

As I said above, I do sometimes get discouraged as I see competitors do a contest where the grand prize is a trophy while we're writing checks for tens of thousands of dollars and I wonder if people notice the difference.

And one of the ideas I've kicked around is what if we had a different format. I wondered if that would generate more interest and help people notice we're spending $35,000 on this and hopefully help us get more "bang for the buck". 

And also it was a good chance to utilize how easy polls are to do on something like this and to see what folks are thinking. 

Thanks for the feedback and we'll continue to try and form this up. 

There is a simplicity in the current set up in that it is set it and forget it once the season starts. I'm sure many appreciate that, especially those in multiple leagues.

I wouldn't be a fan of an FFPC style set up - already play FFPC, and for a subscriber contest would prefer something more unique than just another league type setup.

One thought, if it's feasible to set up on this type of scale, would be to have everyone submit a weekly lineup, but once you've used a player, they are unavailable to you again. A lot more strategy in that, yet still relatively simple and not just another league.

You could then have weekly prizes (maybe top 5 or top 10 scores) as well as the bigger season long payouts. I would suggest not doing it in a "survivor" style format so that more subscribers stay interested longer, and by having weekly prizes, people can still have a reason to submit a lineup even if they forget to one week and fall behind the leaders.

I'm in the keep it as it is crowd.

For a few years we had some complaints about a freebie first week when there were not enough entries, but last year's change to a percentage cut each week fixed that so it doesn't matter if we have 500 or 15000 entries. Somebody is getting cut each week and last year I really enjoyed it.

Please don't change the format. 

I'm meh about the whole thing, mostly because I've never finished in the money (lol).  It's fun, I enter every year with some amount of research and planning, etc.  I couldn't find the payout structure but I seem to recall that it is so top heavy that unless you finish in the top 5 or 10 you get essentially nothing.  I'd be cool with a flatter/deeper payout, because finishing top 5 or 10 out of the 10k plus entries seems like a lottery ticket.

I like the current format since I'm already in enough "normal" leagures. This one is unique and it only takes me around 40 or 50 tries to come up with the perfect line up for getting bounced in week 5.

This couldn't be further from the truth.  Sure, the contest may cost you $35K to host, but I am gonna go out on a limb and say there are at least 1000 people who pay $35 each just for the sole purpose of the contest.

I voted on the fence and somewhat important. I like the current format but wouldn't be averse to a new one. It seems like one bad week or a few bad injuries leaves one out of the chase for these prizes. I agree with what somebody said upthread that a flatter/deeper payout would be something that might keep people's overall satisfaction up. It would be nice to see our fellow board members be in for the money chase (as they would have more probability of earning serious payouts) instead of three or four guys that aren't on the boards. 

If you want to maximize value, that's great. I'm certainly not going to be too upset if you decide to do the format differently. 

One thing, though. People notice you're giving away the money vs. a trophy. That's for sure. That's really good money to be giving away, and people notice it. I have subscribed to a bunch of different sites and I don't know any that have a contest built-in to their pricing/value model, either. Which ones are you thinking of? Contests that happen on their boards? 

Just curious. I don't think I've ever seen even one contest run by the guys at 4for4, Dynasty League Football, Rotoviz and others that I've subscribed to over the years. And I'm on Twitter to follow fantasy and I'll see giveaways, but no contest promotion, really. I could be really wrong about that, but it's nothing like this site's contest that sticks in my mind. 

I voted on the fence and somewhat important. I like the current format but wouldn't be averse to a new one. It seems like one bad week or a few bad injuries leaves one out of the chase for these prizes. I agree with what somebody said upthread that a flatter/deeper payout would be something that might keep people's overall satisfaction up. It would be nice to see our fellow board members be in for the money chase (as they would have more probability of earning serious payouts) instead of three or four guys that aren't on the boards. 

If you want to maximize value, that's great. I'm certainly not going to be too upset if you decide to do the format differently. 

One thing, though. People notice you're giving away the money vs. a trophy. That's for sure. That's really good money to be giving away, and people notice it. I have subscribed to a bunch of different sites and I don't know any that have a contest built-in to their pricing/value model, either. Which ones are you thinking of? Contests that happen on their boards? 

Just curious. I don't think I've ever seen even one contest run by the guys at 4for4, Dynasty League Football, Rotoviz and others that I've subscribed to over the years. And I'm on Twitter to follow fantasy and I'll see giveaways, but no contest promotion, really. I could be really wrong about that, but it's nothing like this site's contest that sticks in my mind. 
I like a bigger top end prize. It makes it worth being excited about. 

I like a bigger top end prize. It makes it worth being excited about. 

It's for sure a delicate balance. I do think on a contest that's free for the person to enter like this, they are more ok with it being more top heavy. 

But again, this is a thing where I want to do what's most value. I'm spending $35,000 no matter how we structure it. So I just want what people see as the most value. 

Of your subscribers, I don't know anything about the ones who don't post here.

The ones who post here, I don't see them dying to add to their weekly fantasy tasks. But maybe the majority of subscribers are DFS junkies, who would love to tinker each week. 

I could also see a scenario where people think they are cool with a DFS format, then slack off for a week or two, then get frustrated, and complain they prefer the old system. 

I would enjoy both. Maybe King Solomon is the way to do it for a year. 15 grand old format, 10 grand DFS style. 

+1 to flatter, deeper payouts. Will increase the buzz, especially on these boards, of “hey, I won $100 in the free subscriber contest!” Among more members. More free money spread around is a Good Thing for business imo. 

Joe Bryant said:
It's for sure a delicate balance. I do think on a contest that's free for the person to enter like this, they are more ok with it being more top heavy. 

But again, this is a thing where I want to do what's most value. I'm spending $35,000 no matter how we structure it. So I just want what people see as the most value. 
Not to sound petty, but this is not a free contest.  It's a pet peeve of mine, as my wife is a shopaholic.  She comes home with tons of "free" gifts, that come with the purchase of something else.  I would not be a paying subscriber to this site without the contest.

Not to sound petty, but this is not a free contest.  It's a pet peeve of mine, as my wife is a shopaholic.  She comes home with tons of "free" gifts, that come with the purchase of something else.  I would not be a paying subscriber to this site without the contest.

Understood. That's why I was very clear to phrase it the way I did, 'I do think on a contest that's free for the person to enter like this, they are more ok with it being more top heavy." It's something only available to people who purchase a subscription. But the dynamic of not asking the person to pay an additional entry fee to play in the contest I think does play into the dynamics of how they see the contest. I think many feel it's something they already have vs a new thing they're buying an entry into. And my guess is that means they may be more open or prefer a bigger payout to the top places. But I really don't know. 

Joe Bryant said:

How about a $25K contest and $10K on advertising on pff, rotoworld, fanduel, draftkings, etc.?

I'd love to see the subscriber base grow and for footballguys to continue to be successful.

Dacomish said:
I'm in the keep it as it is crowd.

For a few years we had some complaints about a freebie first week when there were not enough entries, but last year's change to a percentage cut each week fixed that so it doesn't matter if we have 500 or 15000 entries. Somebody is getting cut each week and last year I really enjoyed it.

Please don't change the format. 

Yeah, I do recall there was some discussion on how it changed last year, and it wasn't an ideal setup in terms of fluctuation of how much of the remaining field got cut from week to week, with some weeks being a free pass for the vast majority of the field while others were brutal with half the field being cut or similar. I was going to have a look at what could be a more balanced structure in terms of what the cut line should be each week, but never got round to it (and I can't find what the actual structure that was used last year actually was now)

Edit - quick search of the forum indicates that it was 25% of the field being cut each week. I think that's a bit much in the early weeks, if you cut to 20% of the field dropping each week then you're down to a tenth of the original field by week 10. Would I think be possible to run a straight 20% through to week 9, then for the next weeks, cut to 1500/1200/900/600/400/250 or 20%, whichever is larger, which should leave you with your 250 on week 15

Thank you GB. We'll figure out something good. 
I'd bet you'd have more volunteers than you need to write short testimonials addressing fandom for the contest and website fellowship, though I confess not knowing the relative effectiveness of testimonial-based advertising.  I do know that rotogrinders took its forum behind a paywall after last season, and am not really aware of a site as good as fbgs for its comprehensive forum content and subscriber content.  #spreadtheword.

I like the contest as it is but it would be better if there were times where you could adjust as the season goes along.  If you get hit by injuries or have an early bad week and get bounced then the fun is over.  I wouldn't want a weekly adjustment necessarily as it is nice to some degree for a set it and watch aspect but having an opportunity to update your squad every 4 weeks would be interesting.  Not totally

I also like the deeper payouts even if it is something like a 1 yr subscription type award.  Seems like it would be a low investment cost to you but a nice adder for the subscriber.  

I love it as-is. It’s incredibly challenging, and over the years many of us have shared philosophy with each other on the forum with a sense of camaraderie in rooting for each other down the stretch, and consideration when a brother’s team falls in action, failing to make the cut.

But each year I’ve gone further & further, and that’s as a result of honing my strategy - so personally I’d hate to see the format change, as that would mean starting over from scratch in a new system.  

Hi Joe.

I love the current setup.  Sure there's luck involved, but DFS is just as much luck when your stud RB gets hurt on the first play of the game.  I personally wouldn't be a fan of something  that I have to monitor at 12:30 for the latest Covid news.

Regarding payouts and reducing the impact and expense to FBG.  Could the deeper prizes be a voucher or credit to your FBG account for 1/2 a subscription cost?  I believe that FFPC incorporates this into their prizes.  By doing this you encourage someone to re-subscribe the following year.  If you do lose a subscriber, you're banking the value of the credit.  I searched and couldn't find last years prize structure, but I cant imagine that sending out $20 checks is a good use of time for you and is costly.  I believe you already offer some free subscriptions as part of the prizes.  Let's say that number is 50.  By going to 1/2 subscription credits you could increase this to 100 for the same cost.

I'm not sure how much of the $35k is free subscriptions or not, but my goal is to win the free sub for any given amount of time every season. And I rarely do. But it's awesome. Full agreement with others that the last thing I need is something with more weekly involvement. 

i love the current format. not quite passionately, i mean so far in so many years i've only placed in the money once, but i like that it's set it and forget it for the year. with the year long thread on it too, it's interesting even after i get eliminated. not as interesting, but still worth following.

i forget who does the live scoring, steelerfan? that should be a regular feature. not a complaint, but it's cool to have that after sunday games and project out to monday. i think there are enough folks putting out their own scoring methods, like that spreadsheet last year (thanks GB whoever did that and sorry I didn't go back and look up your name), so there's enough of it already in the user community.

I think the $35K contest brings in more subscribers than anything else FBG offers.  Now, I am not saying the other content is bad; I am only saying the contest is awesome!  And count me as one who loves the current style.  But, 2 huge complaints:

1) The contest querier is absolutely essential for the diehards who spend endless hours looking at team makeups and such.  Correct me if I'm wrong, was it not working recently?  The contest without the querier takes 82% of the fun out of it.

2) We have had to rely on contest regulars in year's past to do the live scoring.  Live scoring should be provided by the site - not by some random subscriber.  If I knew how to do it, I would, provided FBG reimburses me fairly (I don't know what fairly is, because I don't know how much work goes into it).  Perhaps @Steeler or @kyter1 can say what their time in past seasons was worth?

Also, I used to be able to view past contests on the internet (as far back as like 10 years or so), but it's all gone now.  I can't even open the 2021 thread and click on a link to anyone's team.  I have to assume the techie folks at FBG have removed the links?

Perhaps @Steeler or @kyter1 can say what their time in past seasons was worth?

I never really tried to quantify it like that - when I ran the live scoring I was doing it as a way to give back the awesome FBG community.  You guys provided donations and my site included ads so I was compensated in that way.  I had several years of free subscriptions "in the bank" during the begin of my time running the live scoring, but when that ran out FBG gave me a free subscription each year I was running it.

1) The contest querier is absolutely essential for the diehards who spend endless hours looking at team makeups and such.  Correct me if I'm wrong, was it not working recently?  The contest without the querier takes 82% of the fun out of it.

2) We have had to rely on contest regulars in year's past to do the live scoring.  Live scoring should be provided by the site - not by some random subscriber.  If I knew how to do it, I would, provided FBG reimburses me fairly (I don't know what fairly is, because I don't know how much work goes into it).  Perhaps @Steeler or @kyter1 can say what their time in past seasons was worth?

Also, I used to be able to view past contests on the internet (as far back as like 10 years or so), but it's all gone now.  I can't even open the 2021 thread and click on a link to anyone's team.  I have to assume the techie folks at FBG have removed the links?

I don't know if others would agree, but I would be willing to pay $10 more for a subscription if these features were added.

I don't agree that no querier removes 82% of the fun, but I do agree it has value to the consumer.

SeniorVBDStudent said:
I don't know if others would agree, but I would be willing to pay $10 more for a subscription if these features were added.

I don't agree that no querier removes 82% of the fun, but I do agree it has value to the consumer.

We maybe can look at that. Live scoring is extremely expensive. I think it's in the $10,000+ range last time we looked. So it's prohibitive for a contest like ours. 

The way it was done in the past by individuals doing something on their own was super fun and appreciated, but not a legal thing we could do as a business site. 

SeniorVBDStudent said:

no thank you. I love the site and have paid for a subscription for years and years, but I would not be willing to pay any more for live scoring. For me, the contest is a fun perk but not something I obsess over (after I do 50 iterations on my lineup, of course) during the season. I just wait to see the results once the weekend is over and expect to be booted by week 5 or 6 anyway.  

I think it's in the $10,000+ range last time we looked.
Holy cow!  I had no idea it was that much, especially since a single person was doing it each year.  I wouldn't expect you to pay that much.  I thought you could simply look for volunteers on the site and offer them a free subscription or something.

As for the contest querier, this is something FBG has been doing.  Do you plan to continue this?

Steeler said:
I never really tried to quantify it like that - when I ran the live scoring I was doing it as a way to give back the awesome FBG community.  You guys provided donations and my site included ads so I was compensated in that way.  I had several years of free subscriptions "in the bank" during the begin of my time running the live scoring, but when that ran out FBG gave me a free subscription each year I was running it.
I was going to be doing it on my own last year, but when we didn't have a way for all I expanded it. I'll be honest it was a lot more work than anticipated getting the teams set up initially and updating it each week, but I learned a lot.  I received a donation from a poster that was not expected, but appreciated. Referencing the cost for live scoring. I got creative with resources I had available, I did not pay any additional for it. 

TheWinz said:
I think the $35K contest brings in more subscribers than anything else FBG offers.  Now, I am not saying the other content is bad; I am only saying the contest is awesome!  And count me as one who loves the current style.  But, 2 huge complaints:

As Joe mentioned, the NFL values there stats.

Users who are viewing this thread