What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Despite the statistics, Jokic isn’t at the level of [Vlade] Divac and Dino [Radja] in the center position”

- Toni Kukoc on Nikola Jokic

(Via @Eurohoopsnet / SPORSKI ZURNAL)
I appreciate when people say things like this because then you know you don't have to listen to them in the future.
I'd bet my left testicle it has a lot more to do with this than actual basketball.

“Despite the statistics, Jokic isn’t at the level of [Vlade] Divac and Dino [Radja] in the center position”

I appreciate when people say things like this because then you know you don't have to listen to them in the future.
I'd bet my left testicle it has a lot more to do with this than actual basketball.
Maybe, but vlade is Serbian

Maybe, but vlade is Serbian
Kukoc and Divac played together for Yugoslavia from when they were teens until 1990. There was a bit of a falling out after the dissolution and separation of Yugoslavia, but they reportedly talked it out toward the end of their careers.

Found this article which is an amazing read about their complex situation and mentions all the players involved.

When Luka called a bank three pointer on a mismatch and the bench lost their mind in the first quarter, that game was already over. Just one of those nights with superstars feeling it. Real superstars, no disrespect to top 10 NBA player Amen Thompson.

I find it funny and sad that Monte Williams was all over Ayton for not trying, giving up and just being there for the pay check, but it is exactly what he is doing to the Pistons in his first year as coach.

Updated play-in (or better) probability per Basketball Reference. With teams packed pretty closely and not many games remaining, one unexpected result will chance the percentatges.

Chances of being one of the 10 teams:

SAC 99.3%
PHO 99.1%
LAL 96.9%
GSW 94.2%
HOU 10.5%

DAL currently is in the 6-slot with a 91.1% chance of finishing about the play in (all the teams above them are even more likely).

GSW have 8 games left and are 40-34 I am guessing they finish 4-4 in their last 8, to get to 44-34

DAL - W
@HOU - L
@DAL - L
UTA - W
@LAL - L
@POR - W
NOP - L
UTA - W

HOU is 38-36. If GSW plays .500 ball, HOU needs to go 7-1 to make it. With the way they have been playing, that is possible, but man, that would mean they finished the season on a 18-2 run. They got a tough end of the season too.

@MIN, GSW, MIA, @DAL, ORL, @UTA, @POR, @LAC

GSW have 8 games left and are 40-34 I am guessing they finish 4-4 in their last 8, to get to 44-34

DAL - W
@HOU - L
@DAL - L
UTA - W
@LAL - L
@POR - W
NOP - L
UTA - W

HOU is 38-36. If GSW plays .500 ball, HOU needs to go 7-1 to make it. With the way they have been playing, that is possible, but man, that would mean they finished the season on a 18-2 run. They got a tough end of the season too.

Despite playing much better recently, the Rockets are just 18-28 against teams .500 or better. Six of their last games are against winning teams. The Warriors aren't any better (19-29) and play 5 games against winning teams. It's unlikely either team runs the table against those tougher opponents. I would love nothing more than the Warriors to not erven make the play in, but I have a hard time seeing them not making it.

DAL - W
@HOU - L
@DAL - L
UTA - W
@LAL - L
@POR - W
NOP - L
UTA - W

Despite playing much better recently, the Rockets are just 18-28 against teams .500 or better. Six of their last games are against winning teams. The Warriors aren't any better (19-29) and play 5 games against winning teams. It's unlikely either team runs the table against those tougher opponents. I would love nothing more than the Warriors to not erven make the play in, but I have a hard time seeing them not making it.

It's a tall order now. I thought that Dallas game was a must win with GS owning the tiebreak but nope. Luka was just beast mode all game. Still not sure why they were letting Jock Lindale guard him. Seemed like a Top 10 NBA player of all time like Amen would have been up to the task.

Just a couple quick Mavs-related observations, bolstered by Zach Lowe's podcast today:

1. Since the trade deadline, Dallas is 2nd in offense and 9th in defense
2. Since starting Gafford, they are better than that on defense
3. That "since the deadline" stretch includes a 1-5 spot prior to starting Gafford, with Lively also hurt some, with Luka banged up, with Exum out, where they were 29th on defense
4. The most predictive recipe for an NBA finals appearance has been top 10 in offense and defense with an MVP candidate
5. Dallas is currently up to the 5th seed in the West

I think if seeding plays out well for them, they play Denver in the WCF. I think if it doesn't, they get Denver sooner. I think there are a decent number of worlds where they beat Denver, though I would favor Denver. Could be a really exciting postseason.

Just a couple quick Mavs-related observations, bolstered by Zach Lowe's podcast today:

3. That "since the deadline" stretch includes a 1-5 spot prior to starting Gafford, with Lively also hurt some, with Luka banged up, with Exum out, where they were 29th on defense
4. The most predictive recipe for an NBA finals appearance has been top 10 in offense and defense with an MVP candidate

I think if seeding plays out well for them, they play Denver in the WCF. I think if it doesn't, they get Denver sooner. I think there are a decent number of worlds where they beat Denver, though I would favor Denver. Could be a really exciting postseason.
Should be a pretty epic series if they meet. I figure there are several potential matchups in the West you could say that about.

i listen to the Lowe podcast fairly often. didn't hear that one but it reminded me of what i don't like about his show.. too many "when Dallas plays on the road against teams with a net rating differential of 3.0 or less their best starting lineup is averaging 124.3 pts per 100 minutes played if they are running horns action against a box and 1 defense with no real center on the floor"

a little too in the weeds and cherry picking hyper-specific statistical scenarios

i listen to the Lowe podcast fairly often. didn't hear that one but it reminded me of what i don't like about his show.. too many "when Dallas plays on the road against teams with a net rating differential of 3.0 or less their best starting lineup is averaging 124.3 pts per 100 minutes played if they are running horns action against a box and 1 defense with no real center on the floor"

a little too in the weeds and cherry picking hyper-specific statistical scenarios
Idk. Since a trade for two major players playing a lot of minutes doesn't seem too insane to me, nor particularly in the weeds.

Idk. Since a trade for two major players playing a lot of minutes doesn't seem too insane to me, nor particularly in the weeds.
in that particular scenario? not insane

keep listening. he spins out some very very very specific scenarios.

Not disagreeing with you, but he's probably the best NBA podcast to listen to imo.

Not disagreeing with you, but he's probably the best NBA podcast to listen to imo.

Will give it a try

Man, I love love love basketball and the NBA in particular....but I don't know that I care enough to listen to podcasts about it.

But then again, I never listen to podcasts about anything so maybe it I'm just an anti-podcastite.

Man, I love love love basketball and the NBA in particular....but I don't know that I care enough to listen to podcasts about it.

But then again, I never listen to podcasts about anything so maybe it I'm just an anti-podcastite.
That's probably why you're wrong so often.
:lmao:

Yeah - traveling a ton, podcasts are vital to my lifestyle and avoiding boredom. In ubers to and from airports, in airports/planes, walking to and from office/client, cardio time...they're basically fillers where I can at least listen to something either interesting to learn or which I already care about to make other tasks more enjoyable. Add "when folding laundry or doing dishes at home" to the list too haha.

yeah, big fan. i listen a lot. really appreciate that he's even keel and not firing off fake outrage hot takes.

The Celtics are 51-7 when making 15 three pointers in a game this season and 8-9 when they don't. Does Boston winning or losing simply come down to whether they can make threes in volume?

The Celtics are 51-7 when making 15 three pointers in a game this season and 8-9 when they don't. Does Boston winning or losing simply come down to whether they can make threes in volume?
Well, when you shoot well, win probability will go up. They take 3s in high volume, so I guess the answer is yes.

Jdub and SGA are both out tonight at Philly. Embiid confirmed out and Maxey is a GTD. Thunder still favored somehow. I kinda thought the Thunder would play everyone tonight at Philly and then rest everyone tomorrow in Boston, seems as though they are taking the opposite approach. SGA hasn’t looked right the past week or so - I’d like them to give him a week or so off entirely, their seed won’t matter a bit if he’s not healthy for the playoffs.

Very surprised the Warriors are favored at home tonight against the Mavs. I’m gonna lose some money on that for sure

Portland vs Charlotte tomorrow in a Suck Off battle. Injury report is.....something. :lmao:

Wouldn't be surprised of we saw Woz enter the game at some point.

Jdub and SGA are both out tonight at Philly. Embiid confirmed out and Maxey is a GTD. Thunder still favored somehow. I kinda thought the Thunder would play everyone tonight at Philly and then rest everyone tomorrow in Boston, seems as though they are taking the opposite approach. SGA hasn’t looked right the past week or so - I’d like them to give him a week or so off entirely, their seed won’t matter a bit if he’s not healthy for the playoffs.
Sounds like Embiid is playing!

Sounds like Embiid is playing!
He’s such a drama queen

You know what I didn't miss for 2 months? Embiid getting every single possible contact called as a foul. Guy gets 4 FTs for just checking in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread