What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

They didn't pay up for Butler. They gave up a 1st, and Josh Richardson and unloaded Whiteside's horrible deal.

Jabari Parker and Stanley Johnson worked out for Suns this week.

No word yet when John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Michael Beasley will be in. Feels like Lance Stephenson should be as well. Can't believe this dude is somehow still only 32

Am I the only one that thinks the market for Harden and his demands isn't there? I wouldn't be surprised if he has to play out this last year he opted into.
This feels just like the Porzingis opt in and trade. Expect Philly to play ball and trade him where he goes for a very underwhelming return

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past the 76er front office to ask for too much and mess this up.
Kawhi, George, and Mann for harden and harris

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

They didn't pay up for Butler. They gave up a 1st, and Josh Richardson and unloaded Whiteside's horrible deal.
They did give him a huge contract that seemed questionable at the time and then a massive extension

No word yet when John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Michael Beasley will be in. Feels like Lance Stephenson should be as well. Can't believe this dude is somehow still only 32
There were some other weird dudes in that report. Chasson randle I think

Also Quinndary Witherspoon

Am I the only one that thinks the market for Harden and his demands isn't there? I wouldn't be surprised if he has to play out this last year he opted into.
This feels just like the Porzingis opt in and trade. Expect Philly to play ball and trade him where he goes for a very underwhelming return

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past the 76er front office to ask for too much and mess this up.

Then you could have 3 all NBA players miss time in the playoffs.

Yep. No one is paying up for an aging and fickle Harden on a 1 year.

Then you could have 3 all NBA players miss time in the playoffs.
And get the number 1 pick. Win-win

There were some other weird dudes in that report. Chasson randle I think

Also Quinndary Witherspoon
These sound like names from a Key and Peele skit.

Wonder if these guys will get a try:

Jackmerius Tacktheratrix.
L’Carpetron Dookmarriot
Xmus Jaxon Flaxon-Waxon
Beezer Twelve Washingbeard
Swirvithan L’Goodling-Splatt

Whiteside's horrible deal to Portland who is no hurry to do another awful deal with Miami no matter how great Pat Riley is at using The Force.

If you're looking for a consistently solid NBA podcast, I'd recommend "Thinking Basketball". It's typically not for current news or hott takes, but for well-thought out NBA conversations, strategy debates, team breakdowns, player fits, etc.

If interested, their last pod broke down the top players of 2023 (according to Ben Taylor, who also wrote the book and has a YouTube channel of the same name). Feel free to post your thoughts here (and listen to the pod for their details why):

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

Note: Kawhi Leonard was discussed, but not ranked. If healthy, they said he'd be in the 3-5 range. The podcast also had their Patreon listeners give their top 10 lists, and the votes totaled as follows:

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?
Not enough Ant.

Sacramento out of the Draymond and Kuzma markets?

Just re-signed Barnes at 3/$54m.
I think that’s right to the extent they were ever really in on those guys. I think Green’s camp was just trying to create leverage.

I think that’s a fair deal for Barnes. The Kings have about $18m to spend. That should be enough to get a quality player in what looks like might be a depressed free agent market. Or they might blow it on a Sabonis extension.

Another surprise, Pelicans are declining Herb Jones $1.8m team option, making him an RFA. I’m sure they’re planning on re-signing him, but this is a gamble someone offers him a bigger deal.
did he shoot someone at the facility? this seems crazy.
There is no gamble here. They just match whatever anyone offers, but more likely they already have a number in mind that they have agreed to
i don't know nothing about nothing but wouldn't just signing him for 1.8 make more sense than letting him go to free agency and probably get a bigger offer that they then match?

If you're looking for a consistently solid NBA podcast, I'd recommend "Thinking Basketball". It's typically not for current news or hott takes, but for well-thought out NBA conversations, strategy debates, team breakdowns, player fits, etc.

If interested, their last pod broke down the top players of 2023 (according to Ben Taylor, who also wrote the book and has a YouTube channel of the same name). Feel free to post your thoughts here (and listen to the pod for their details why):

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic
If this is purely an evaluation of the 22-23 season, Giannis being ahead of Embiid is odd. Giannis essentially didn't have a postseason and was not better than Embiid in the regular season. I also think Booker is way too low - in the playoffs he seemed clearly better than the #4 guy on this list.

started listening to this "Thinking Basketball" podcast on the recommendation of someone here.

only about 30 minutes in to yesterday's podcast but it seems reasonable. these don't seem like hot-take guys. they're talking basketball in detail. which, while i appreciate, might get to be a bit too detailed.

like mentioning a guy was in the... 49th or whatever.. percentile of defensive stops by a guard within 6 feet of the basket. if it leans too heavily in to "3rd best scorer from 13 - 16 feet with 2 feet of space in the 4th quarter of western conference games" type talk i'll tap out but so far it seems interesting.

eta: and as i'm typing this @caustic quotes @trader jake who recommended the podcast

Another surprise, Pelicans are declining Herb Jones $1.8m team option, making him an RFA. I’m sure they’re planning on re-signing him, but this is a gamble someone offers him a bigger deal.
did he shoot someone at the facility? this seems crazy.
There is no gamble here. They just match whatever anyone offers, but more likely they already have a number in mind that they have agreed to
i don't know nothing about nothing but wouldn't just signing him for 1.8 make more sense than letting him go to free agency and probably get a bigger offer that they then match?
I’ve been trying to figure out a logic for this and having a hard time. I thought maybe they wanted to sign some kind of front loaded deal to use more money this year, but their salary structure doesn’t really match that. Or maybe if he would have been unrestricted next year and they didn’t want to risk that, but also not the case. So I am at a loss.

I guess the one way it makes sense is as a hedge against him breaking out and getting a much bigger offer next year, so they can try to lock him in to a lower number this year, but I’m not sure that I totally buy that rationale

I guess the one way it makes sense is as a hedge against him breaking out and getting a much bigger offer next year, so they can try to lock him in to a lower number this year, but I’m not sure that I totally buy that rationale
Maybe this way he can get more than he would if the team opted him in and then did an extension? Win/win for everyone?

Supposedly Harden heard the podcast with Paul George and Jalen Green (where PG said playing with Harden would stunt his growth and Green sort of didn’t disagree) and changed his mind about going to Houston.

George doing the lord's work for Houston. Thank you :bow:
Would be funny if Harden goes to the Clippers because of this.

Yeah, I was thinking that could've been a 4D chess move by PG

Supposedly Harden heard the podcast with Paul George and Jalen Green (where PG said playing with Harden would stunt his growth and Green sort of didn’t disagree) and changed his mind about going to Houston.

George doing the lord's work for Houston. Thank you :bow:
Would be funny if Harden goes to the Clippers because of this.

Yeah, I was thinking that could've been a 4D chess move by PG
That or Karma, since he basically called Harden a ball hog and not fun to play with.

D
There was some person on Twitter who posted yesterday something like “Harden trade request coming tomorrow”, along with “watch out for Kyrie news” a few hours before the Suns thing and hit a bunch of draft picks and now the account is nuked. Wild. Woj musta called the cops.
Damn, that's crazy. Some ppl saying this is his new account, but could be a fake.

That guy definitely was on the inside, or likely related to a GM or something. They prob found out their relative was tweeting all that and put an end to it.

Sacramento out of the Draymond and Kuzma markets?

Just re-signed Barnes at 3/$54m.
I think that’s right to the extent they were ever really in on those guys. I think Green’s camp was just trying to create leverage.

I think that’s a fair deal for Barnes. The Kings have about $18m to spend. That should be enough to get a quality player in what looks like might be a depressed free agent market. Or they might blow it on a Sabonis extension.
While this makes the first round pick trade to dump Holmes a bit nonsensical, I would WAY rather have Barnes at this salary than whatever Kuzma will get. If they are getting an upgrade anywhere, it should be somebody that improves the defense substantially without tanking their offense. I don't know if that player is available on the FA market this year.

“According to sources directly involved in the situation on both sides, the Los Angeles native wants to play for the Clippers and the Sixers are already in the process of discussing his desired move. Harden is, according to sources close to him, extremely upset at the way in which the Sixers handled his possible free agency and has made his dissatisfaction clear to the organization.

While it seems likely that he’ll land with the Clippers, it remains to be seen if and when his longtime basketball partner, Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey, will grant this unexpected wish. Sources say, however, that there is strong optimism on Harden’s side that it will indeed happen. Both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George are said to be on board with the idea of Harden potentially joining their core, according to sources.”

So in your mind, Portland trades Dame for expiring contracts and late first round picks or Tyler Herro and late first round picks? Help me understand your reasoning and why Portland wouldn't demand something more?
Again, dames contract isn’t an “easy” or ”affordable” one for either team. If Portland is rebuilding and dame doesn’t want to be there, then picks and players they can jettison are part of the equation, yes, as is ”making the money work”. So, Miami has 5 “picks”: the three upcoming picks and their previous first 2 rounders (Javier and jokic). They also have guys like Caleb Martin (who the heat would like to keep, but it’s dame) and then herro and Duncan. That is all their tradeable assets. So, Portland, if they want to deal w Miami (and this assumes that dame says trade me and I prefer Miami) that’s what is available.

to make the money work (and assuming Portland doesn’t want Duncan or herro) then Lowry and oladipo have to be in the trade. If portal d values either herro or duncan, then Lowry doesn’t have to be part of the deal but Vic likely is (for salary matching purposes). The nets could offer a competing offer, but it would be worse than miamis bc they don’t have as many picks. Philly has entered the chat bc they may get a first for harden but dame hasn’t mentioned Philly as a destination

it’s not like the heat can “conjure up” another asset. They aren’t trading spolestra

edit to add. to me, these scenarios are “trade deadline “ scenarios where Portland is underachieving and they go full rebuild. In those cases expiring contacts hold more value than before the season starts.

There was some person on Twitter who posted yesterday something like “Harden trade request coming tomorrow”, along with “watch out for Kyrie news” a few hours before the Suns thing and hit a bunch of draft picks and now the account is nuked. Wild. Woj musta called the cops.

Pretty interesting
graduated with the son of an NFL coach

kid came in to Health class before the draft that year and told us who the Packers were taking. our Health class teacher was the varsity fb coach. the guy led a rousing roasting of the NFL coach's son for being a loudmouth, a liar and an idiot. all in fun, but i remember basically all the guys in class following the teacher's lead and just burning the kid for throwing out the name he did which seemed completely outlandish.

days later they drafted the guy he told us the team would pick. not predicted. not guessed. he flatly said "they are drafting X."

he was right about several other team's first round picks, too. like enough to make one not wonder anymore how rumors/stories get leaked. at least then it wasn't a question of conspiracy, or did an agent leak this news, etc. it was scouts/coaches/executives telling family, friends, random Joe's at the grocery store.

eta: what i'm saying is that redditor is Woj's wife/husband/son/daughter

So, Miami has 5 “picks”: the three upcoming picks and their previous first 2 rounders (Javier and jokic).
I don't think MIA has 3 picks to trade, do they? They owe their 2025 to OKC, protected 1-14, which turns into an unprotected 2026. So if they trade first allowable drafts in a Dame trade, best they could do is a 2027, and a 2029, which could actually be a 2028, and a 2030. They can't offer a 2031 until next year

So in your mind, Portland trades Dame for expiring contracts and late first round picks or Tyler Herro and late first round picks? Help me understand your reasoning and why Portland wouldn't demand something more?
Again, dames contract isn’t an “easy” or ”affordable” one for either team. If Portland is rebuilding and dame doesn’t want to be there, then picks and players they can jettison are part of the equation, yes, as is ”making the money work”. So, Miami has 5 “picks”: the three upcoming picks and their previous first 2 rounders (Javier and jokic). They also have guys like Caleb Martin (who the heat would like to keep, but it’s dame) and then herro and Duncan. That is all their tradeable assets. So, Portland, if they want to deal w Miami (and this assumes that dame says trade me and I prefer Miami) that’s what is available.

to make the money work (and assuming Portland doesn’t want Duncan or herro) then Lowry and oladipo have to be in the trade. If portal d values either herro or duncan, then Lowry doesn’t have to be part of the deal but Vic likely is (for salary matching purposes). The nets could offer a competing offer, but it would be worse than miamis bc they don’t have as many picks. Philly has entered the chat bc they may get a first for harden but dame hasn’t mentioned Philly as a destination

it’s not like the heat can “conjure up” another asset. They aren’t trading spolestra

edit to add. to me, these scenarios are “trade deadline “ scenarios where Portland is underachieving and they go full rebuild. In those cases expiring contacts hold more value than before the season starts.

This looks like more than 3 picks. Nets picks.

2025 1 - PHX
2025 2 - MIA
2026 2 - Own
2027 1 - PHI
2027 1 - PHX
2027 2 - DAL
2028 1 - PHX
2028 1 - Own
2028 2 - Own
2028 2 - MIL
2029 1 - PHX
2029 1 - DAL