What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Draymond signs with Portland, Golden State can sign Plumlee since he's a much better version than Draymond I'm told.

6d chess.
More like noD chess.

Teams paying Plumlee anything but minimum (or near enough minimum to be anything but a luxury tax consideration) are fools. There are very few bench 5s worth big dollars in today's game, and Plumlee isn't one of them. He's skilled, but he always tries to do too much. Always. He has yet to understand he's a role player.

It is a running joke. During the playoffs this year someone said the Warriors should let Draymond walk and sign Plumlee at a third of the price and he would be just as good. We kind of ran with it.
With Draymond, I wonder about some around here. He's a Hall of Fame player that just doesn't get the credit he deserves as a defensive player and team thermostat.

Most teams in the league don't have a player on their roster that can play defense like him. Most teams don't have a player that pushes their teammates to compete like him. Almost none have one player that does both.

Instead we get 10 player comps to him each draft, read how Curry is the only reason he's good, or have people post crap like Plumlee could do most of what he does for a fraction of the cost. It's ridiculous. I get why some slag Draymond, but unlike the Dillon Brooks and Rudy Goberts of the league - he's a true difference maker on the court. Especially in the postseason when the game changes and little edges really matter.

If Draymond leaves GSW, that team is done as a championship contender without a major, blockbuster of a roster addition next to Curry.

Having thought about it (and since I brought it up), I'd rather the Spurs hold onto their assets. Sure, Lillard would supercharge the Spurs and their playoff chances - this season, and maybe the next. But he's turning 33 next month and it's not a stretch to think he's on a Dwayne Wade career trajectory, and his contract would be a cap killer. Seems there'd be a very tight window to capture playoff success with an ascending young core and a (soon to be?) descending Lillard talent.

I know I sound like a myopic homer, but I think the Spurs talented young core's floor is 35 wins this season (they still have $30M+ in cap space), and it would not surprise me to see them sneak into the playoffs and scare a team or two. 41-41 is my prediction. Keep all those future firsts and cap flexibility, and it's to the moon!

The Spurs future is bright, but unless Wembanyama has the greatest rookie season of all time they won't sniff the playoffs. It isn't a knock either, it takes time in the NBA. There are only a couple of exceptions that come to mind and that is Magic and Duncan, but they both went to really good teams.
I'm over optimistic, I know, but part of the beauty of Wemby is how much better he will improve the play of the rest of the team. I think Vassell and Sochan will make big leaps this season, and I look forward to seeing how Malaki Branham matures too. I'll recalibrate after the results of free agency shakes out, however.
Everyone is excited about Wemby. Especially Spurs fans. Don't be so excited that you rush it though. Young players just aren't ready to win big, so grow the roster around him organically and meticulously.

Just look what the Pelicans did when they landed Anthony Davis in the lottery ...and do the opposite. See also Pelicans with Zion. You rush it early and it will cost the team when the young player has taken their lumps, matured and developed, and is ready to move past the first round.
100% agree with the bolded, and there are recent quotes in the news from Spurs FO stating plainly that is their plan. A lot of my enthusiasm has a lot to do with the aformentioned Sochan and Vassell, and various other players already on the roster. They were green last year, but not without talent.

Having thought about it (and since I brought it up), I'd rather the Spurs hold onto their assets. Sure, Lillard would supercharge the Spurs and their playoff chances - this season, and maybe the next. But he's turning 33 next month and it's not a stretch to think he's on a Dwayne Wade career trajectory, and his contract would be a cap killer. Seems there'd be a very tight window to capture playoff success with an ascending young core and a (soon to be?) descending Lillard talent.

I know I sound like a myopic homer, but I think the Spurs talented young core's floor is 35 wins this season (they still have $30M+ in cap space), and it would not surprise me to see them sneak into the playoffs and scare a team or two. 41-41 is my prediction. Keep all those future firsts and cap flexibility, and it's to the moon!

The Spurs future is bright, but unless Wembanyama has the greatest rookie season of all time they won't sniff the playoffs. It isn't a knock either, it takes time in the NBA. There are only a couple of exceptions that come to mind and that is Magic and Duncan, but they both went to really good teams.

The Magic went from 21 wins to 41 wins after drafting Shaq. But his rookie year was an also 23 PPG, 13 RPG and 3.5 BPG. That's a big ask of any rookie.
Counterpoint, the Kings improved 18 games with Keegan Murray.

And now his twin brother is set to propel the Blazers to new highs!

My low key wish list for the Spurs free agency would be to bring back Patty Mills, and add (though not likely to happen) Brooks Lopez to absorb contact while Wemby fills out.*

*Disclaimer - after years of having the NBA on the back burner, I'm slowly getting my sea legs back. I'm not brightest bulb in this thread (but not the dimmest either).

My low key wish list for the Spurs free agency would be to bring back Patty Mills, and add (though not likely to happen) Brooks Lopez to absorb contact while Wemby fills out.*

*Disclaimer - after years of having the NBA on the back burner, I'm slowly getting my sea legs back. I'm not brightest bulb in this thread (but not the dimmest either).
I’ve seen a couple nba people mention a good move for SA would be to take on Evan Fournier and a 1st from the Knicks. Use cap space (and the new rule in the CBA to require teams to hit the salary floor before the season starts) to get more draft assets. Plus Fournier can be a French mentor for Wemby.

My low key wish list for the Spurs free agency would be to bring back Patty Mills , and add (though not likely to happen) Brooks Lopez to absorb contact while Wemby fills out.*
I hope they sign Poeltl mostly because of how funny it would be that Toronto gave up a 2024 first for a few months of him and a one and out loss in the play in game

Not twins

Keegan Mitchell Murray (born August 19, 2000) is an American professional basketball player for the Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was selected fourth overall by the Kings in the 2022 NBA draft. He is the twin brother of Kris Murray, who plays for the Portland Trail Blazers.

Apology accepted.
Apologies

I thought we were still talking Plumlees

Not twins

Keegan Mitchell Murray (born August 19, 2000) is an American professional basketball player for the Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He was selected fourth overall by the Kings in the 2022 NBA draft. He is the twin brother of Kris Murray, who plays for the Portland Trail Blazers.

Apology accepted.
Apologies

I thought we were still talking Plumlees

There's been enough Plumlee talk in here to last 10 lifetimes.

I’ve seen a couple nba people mention a good move for SA would be to take on Evan Fournier and a 1st from the Knicks. Use cap space (and the new rule in the CBA to require teams to hit the salary floor before the season starts) to get more draft assets. Plus Fournier can be a French mentor for Wemby.
Ha! I just googled Evan Founier because I'm not familiar with him and I saw a link referencing this. I'm not averse to the Spurs leveraging their salary cap for a year or two to add assets, but the Spurs roster is pretty flush with 2's and 3's. I think the Spurs must target 1's and 5's.

My low key wish list for the Spurs free agency would be to bring back Patty Mills , and add (though not likely to happen) Brooks Lopez to absorb contact while Wemby fills out.*
I hope they sign Poeltl mostly because of how funny it would be that Toronto gave up a 2024 first for a few months of him and a one and out loss in the play in game
I might prefer Poetl to Lopez because he could be a better roster fit (or should I frame it as a culture fit?), but what are the unwritten rules of FO's with regards to poaching back players who you just traded to acquire assets? After emerging from hibernation and getting back into the swing of things, the way trades are executed is just bizarre.

When Draymond signs with Portland, Golden State can sign Plumlee since he's a much better version than Draymond I'm told.

6d chess.
More like noD chess.

Teams paying Plumlee anything but minimum (or near enough minimum to be anything but a luxury tax consideration) are fools. There are very few bench 5s worth big dollars in today's game, and Plumlee isn't one of them. He's skilled, but he always tries to do too much. Always. He has yet to understand he's a role player.

It is a running joke. During the playoffs this year someone said the Warriors should let Draymond walk and sign Plumlee at a third of the price and he would be just as good. We kind of ran with it.
With Draymond, I wonder about some around here.
it's largely because he's a completely unlikable *******

Part of me wants to see Kyrie go to the Suns in a trade for Ayton. That team would be so unlikable and I bet Kyrie, Durant, Beal and Booker hate each other by the end of the year or it is Kyrie and Durant vs the other two.

6d chess.
More like noD chess.

With Draymond, I wonder about some around here. He's a Hall of Fame player that just doesn't get the credit he deserves as a defensive player and team thermostat.

Most teams in the league don't have a player on their roster that can play defense like him. Most teams don't have a player that pushes their teammates to compete like him. Almost none have one player that does both.

Instead we get 10 player comps to him each draft, read how Curry is the only reason he's good, or have people post crap like Plumlee could do most of what he does for a fraction of the cost. It's ridiculous. I get why some slag Draymond, but unlike the Dillon Brooks and Rudy Goberts of the league - he's a true difference maker on the court. Especially in the postseason when the game changes and little edges really matter.

If Draymond leaves GSW, that team is done as a championship contender without a major, blockbuster of a roster addition next to Curry.

Yeah he's easily the most important player on the warriors after curry

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

If wade only had dames range…. And I’m a wade fan.

Part of me wants to see Kyrie go to the Suns in a trade for Ayton. That team would be so unlikable and I bet Kyrie, Durant, Beal and Booker hate each other by the end of the year or it is Kyrie and Durant vs the other two.
From what I understand, Suns wouldn’t be able to trade for a sign & trade player since that would hard cap them and they’re already above that threshold. So only way Kyrie goes there is for their $4m exemption.

Wow, Woj reporting Harden is opting in and it’s expected he’ll be traded. I guess this is a way for Sixers to get something back for him.

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

So in your mind, Portland trades Dame for expiring contracts and late first round picks or Tyler Herro and late first round picks? Help me understand your reasoning and why Portland wouldn't demand something more?

Ha! I just googled Evan Founier because I'm not familiar with him and I saw a link referencing this. I'm not averse to the Spurs leveraging their salary cap for a year or two to add assets, but the Spurs roster is pretty flush with 2's and 3's. I think the Spurs must target 1's and 5's.
DO NOT GOOGLE

A harden deal would most likely happen today or tomorrow so the matching levels are 125% rather than the lower % in the new CBA starting 7/1.

If you're looking for a consistently solid NBA podcast, I'd recommend "Thinking Basketball". It's typically not for current news or hott takes, but for well-thought out NBA conversations, strategy debates, team breakdowns, player fits, etc.

If interested, their last pod broke down the top players of 2023 (according to Ben Taylor, who also wrote the book and has a YouTube channel of the same name). Feel free to post your thoughts here (and listen to the pod for their details why):

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

Note: Kawhi Leonard was discussed, but not ranked. If healthy, they said he'd be in the 3-5 range. The podcast also had their Patreon listeners give their top 10 lists, and the votes totaled as follows:

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

Another surprise, Pelicans are declining Herb Jones $1.8m team option, making him an RFA. I’m sure they’re planning on re-signing him, but this is a gamble someone offers him a bigger deal.

If you're looking for a consistently solid NBA podcast, I'd recommend "Thinking Basketball". It's typically not for current news or hott takes, but for well-thought out NBA conversations, strategy debates, team breakdowns, player fits, etc.

If interested, their last pod broke down the top players of 2023 (according to Ben Taylor, who also wrote the book and has a YouTube channel of the same name). Feel free to post your thoughts here (and listen to the pod for their details why):

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

Note: Kawhi Leonard was discussed, but not ranked. If healthy, they said he'd be in the 3-5 range. The podcast also had their Patreon listeners give their top 10 lists, and the votes totaled as follows:

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

My thoughts are Portland has a top 12 player in the NBA under team control for a few more years and because we are nice guys, we are going to trade him away for Udanis Haslim, Kyle Lowry, Pat Riley's hair brush and some Heat Culture.

Another surprise, Pelicans are declining Herb Jones $1.8m team option, making him an RFA. I’m sure they’re planning on re-signing him, but this is a gamble someone offers him a bigger deal.
They had no reason to decline him so this has to be a situation where they’ve already worked out a new deal.
Yeah, sounds like it.

Pelicans also decided not to extend a qualifying offer to Jaxson Hayes, so he’s a UFA now.

Wow, Woj reporting Harden is opting in and it’s expected he’ll be traded. I guess this is a way for Sixers to get something back for him.
😂 James Harden will be happy, and win a title, wherever he plays next.

The "free beer tomorrow" sign of NBA player movement.

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

My thoughts are Portland has a top 12 player in the NBA under team control for a few more years and because we are nice guys, we are going to trade him away for Udanis Haslim, Kyle Lowry, Pat Riley's hair brush and some Heat Culture.
I hear that James Harden is available. :pokey:

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?

I hear that James Harden is available. :pokey:

We do have more strip clubs per capita than any other city.....

did he shoot someone at the facility? this seems crazy.
There is no gamble here. They just match whatever anyone offers, but more likely they already have a number in mind that they have agreed to

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?
Seems reasonable at first glance. Similar to duncan and Leroux as I recall.

Definitely his pod is always worth a listen.

Am I the only one that thinks the market for Harden and his demands isn't there? I wouldn't be surprised if he has to play out this last year he opted into.
This feels just like the Porzingis opt in and trade. Expect Philly to play ball and trade him where he goes for a very underwhelming return

Rank) Player
12) Devin Booker
11) LeBron James
10) Damien Lillard
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Jason Tatum
7) Luka Doncic
6) Anthony Davis
5) Joel Embiid
4) Kevin Durant
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

13) Damien Lillard
12) Devin Booker
11) Kawhi Leonard
10) LeBron James
9) Jimmy Butler
8) Anthony Davis
7) Jason Tatum
6) Kevin Durant
5) Luka Doncic
4) Joel Embiid
3) Steph Curry
2) Giannis Antetokounmpo
1) Nikola Jokic

🤷‍♂️ Thoughts?
Seems reasonable at first glance. Similar to duncan and Leroux as I recall.

Definitely his pod is always worth a listen.
I would also say that Davis is a bit high if you are taking everything into account, but knowing him, I am guessing that he is arguing more about Davis’ peak, which I can understand that high

Am I the only one that thinks the market for Harden and his demands isn't there? I wouldn't be surprised if he has to play out this last year he opted into.
This feels just like the Porzingis opt in and trade. Expect Philly to play ball and trade him where he goes for a very underwhelming return
It’s honestly probably the best thing for the sixers no matter what as long as they don’t get saddled with any contracts that are too crazy

It’s honestly probably the best thing no matter what as long as they don’t get saddled with any contracts that are too crazy
Which the clippers don’t really even have amazingly. Powell is the worst and even that is not a killer. Many expirings

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past the 76er front office to ask for too much and mess this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread