What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Message board poster furiously types out one more horrible post before thread closes (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

So in your mind, Portland trades Dame for expiring contracts and late first round picks or Tyler Herro and late first round picks? Help me understand your reasoning and why Portland wouldn't demand something more?
Again, dames contract isn’t an “easy” or ”affordable” one for either team. If Portland is rebuilding and dame doesn’t want to be there, then picks and players they can jettison are part of the equation, yes, as is ”making the money work”. So, Miami has 5 “picks”: the three upcoming picks and their previous first 2 rounders (Javier and jokic). They also have guys like Caleb Martin (who the heat would like to keep, but it’s dame) and then herro and Duncan. That is all their tradeable assets. So, Portland, if they want to deal w Miami (and this assumes that dame says trade me and I prefer Miami) that’s what is available.

to make the money work (and assuming Portland doesn’t want Duncan or herro) then Lowry and oladipo have to be in the trade. If portal d values either herro or duncan, then Lowry doesn’t have to be part of the deal but Vic likely is (for salary matching purposes). The nets could offer a competing offer, but it would be worse than miamis bc they don’t have as many picks. Philly has entered the chat bc they may get a first for harden but dame hasn’t mentioned Philly as a destination

it’s not like the heat can “conjure up” another asset. They aren’t trading spolestra

edit to add. to me, these scenarios are “trade deadline “ scenarios where Portland is underachieving and they go full rebuild. In those cases expiring contacts hold more value than before the season starts.

This looks like more than 3 picks. Nets picks.

2025 1 - PHX
2025 2 - MIA
2026 2 - Own
2027 1 - PHI
2027 1 - PHX
2027 2 - DAL
2028 1 - PHX
2028 1 - Own
2028 2 - Own
2028 2 - MIL
2029 1 - PHX
2029 1 - DAL
2029 1 - Own
2029 2 - MIL
2029 2 - DAL
2029 2 - Own
2030 1 - Own
2030 2 - Own
Heat Culture will take a few of those out. It's sneaky like that.

You guys, Dame is building a cathedral here. His kids are growing up here. This is his home. He sits in a corner booth with his family at the BWW near the training facility and nobody bugs him. He's comfortable here. I feel like all the speculation about his future ignores everything about his life as if it's just fantasy sports. It's not. He may very well get traded, but there are myriad factors in play that don't seem to be considered.
I'd argue he has already built his cathedral and being "Dan Fouts or Dan Marino" in a league where players can chase rings seems like a futile gesture at best.

I'd also argue that there are a lot of destinations where he could go, but assuming Portland wants to do right by him (as he has built that cathedral) then if he finally says "trade me to X" they accommodate him or it says more about the Portland FO than it does about Dame. If Dame opts to ask, Portland asking for a kings ransom seems incongruous. The Heat don't care about picks and for once they have plenty and RIley isn't getting any younger (and I think he wants one more ring before he hangs it up as GM/President)

Again, Assuming they want to let him chase the ring, the teams in the East would be the Bucks, the Celts, the Heat, The Knicks or the sixers. The Nets are the next tier. He and Bam are tight so as a Heat fan that is what I hope will happen, and as last year showed us Miami just has to stay in the playoff picture to the trade deadline and then go from there.
I think it is in the Blazers interest to send him to a place he would like to go, but not necessarily THE place he would like to go. If he gives them a list of 3 teams that could all reasonably trade for him that he would like to go, I think it is fair to work only with those three teams. If he says he'll only go the the Heat (or Brooklyn or NY... whatever), I think they'll be less inclined to play ball. Doing right by Dame may be a priority, but THE priority should be to do right by the organization.

I've been saying this all along. He will suit up and play for Portland for a couple of months, let the landscape unfold in front of him and then meet with Portland's front office to discuss his future. Portland will accommodate him, but it's not going to be for late first round picks and Duncan Robinson.
Lol. No one is saying this. Miami has no problem “paying up”. They did for jimmy. They did for gOran. They didn’t as much for Lowry but that was basically the size of the contract and his age that tempered that. I’m sure Miami would like to avoid the apron and for the money to work (and not hamstring the blazers) oladipo and Lowry likely will be part of a deal (For salary matching and the fact both of those are expiring contracts vs herro or Duncan). Miami has 3 future first rounders and two in the team in the cost controlled early stage of their careers. Nets have less than us I believe.

from a heat perspective: losing Strus and the fact Duncan played well in the playoffs means he has some value to Miami again. Herro seems like the odd man out mainly bc the heat didn’t miss him during the playoff run. If Portland doesn’t want him I’m sure Miami will move him in a separate deal for size if they can.

So in your mind, Portland trades Dame for expiring contracts and late first round picks or Tyler Herro and late first round picks? Help me understand your reasoning and why Portland wouldn't demand something more?
Again, dames contract isn’t an “easy” or ”affordable” one for either team. If Portland is rebuilding and dame doesn’t want to be there, then picks and players they can jettison are part of the equation, yes, as is ”making the money work”. So, Miami has 5 “picks”: the three upcoming picks and their previous first 2 rounders (Javier and jokic). They also have guys like Caleb Martin (who the heat would like to keep, but it’s dame) and then herro and Duncan. That is all their tradeable assets. So, Portland, if they want to deal w Miami (and this assumes that dame says trade me and I prefer Miami) that’s what is available.

to make the money work (and assuming Portland doesn’t want Duncan or herro) then Lowry and oladipo have to be in the trade. If portal d values either herro or duncan, then Lowry doesn’t have to be part of the deal but Vic likely is (for salary matching purposes). The nets could offer a competing offer, but it would be worse than miamis bc they don’t have as many picks. Philly has entered the chat bc they may get a first for harden but dame hasn’t mentioned Philly as a destination

it’s not like the heat can “conjure up” another asset. They aren’t trading spolestra

edit to add. to me, these scenarios are “trade deadline “ scenarios where Portland is underachieving and they go full rebuild. In those cases expiring contacts hold more value than before the season starts.

This looks like more than 3 picks. Nets picks.

2025 1 - PHX
2025 2 - MIA
2026 2 - Own
2027 1 - PHI
2027 1 - PHX
2027 2 - DAL
2028 1 - PHX
2028 1 - Own
2028 2 - Own
2028 2 - MIL
2029 1 - PHX
2029 1 - DAL
2029 1 - Own
2029 2 - MIL
2029 2 - DAL
2029 2 - Own
2030 1 - Own
2030 2 - Own
Heat Culture will take a few of those out. It's sneaky like that.
Cool. I stand corrected. Again, I think it does boil down to nets vs miami if Dame wants out. Nets cannot trade 2025 I think bc they have no pick in 2026 (I don't completely understand that part), but then they can trade both 2027s and a 28 or the other way around and then 2029 (one of them or both). So, it looks like 5 picks. from 2027 through 30. Miami I believe has 3 upcoming (but they may need to make a deal with the thunder to change the protections on the 2025 pick), and then the two kids they drafted the past two years. And then we get into Salary and players.

The fact Miami has stuck its nose into the Harden business may mean that the feel Dame is becoming more of a longshot. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Harden to Miami (he can't stay away from South Beach when he comes down here. Imagine him living here!!!???)

JVG let go by ESPN

hopefully Mark Jackson to follow.
Haven’t seen anything on Jackson but Jalen Rose said to be out.
no loss there, either

i like Jalen Rose but paired with Stephen A. is just awful. mostly because Stephen A. is awful but this will hopefully free Rose up to do work somewhere else.

ESPN is really paring back to just having Stephen A., Woj and Greenberg on every single show. they're going to drop dead on air inside of 18 months at this rate.

JVG let go by ESPN

no loss there, either

i like Jalen Rose but paired with Stephen A. is just awful. mostly because Stephen A. is awful but this will hopefully free Rose up to do work somewhere else.

ESPN is really paring back to just having Stephen A., Woj and Greenberg on every single show. they're going to drop dead on air inside of 18 months at this rate.
How Mark Jackson survives is head scratching. I guess Doris Burke is going to be on every broadcast.

ESPN doing house cleaning. Jvg/kellerman/rose/keyshawn (so far) let go. They got a lot more excess they could let go of

I'm fine with letting McAfee and crew takeover 👍

JVG let go by ESPN

no loss there, either

How Mark Jackson survives is head scratching. I guess Doris Burke is going to be on every broadcast.

Bucks should have done us all a solid and hired Teardrop Jackson, bromigos....

ESPN doing house cleaning. Jvg/kellerman/rose/keyshawn (so far) let go. They got a lot more excess they could let go of

to speed up the total collapse of ESPN as a watchable channel?

every purge over the years has made the product worse to the point where they are now dumping people who are 4th tier, in favor of 5th tier personalities.

Love them bringing on McAfee.

I don't know that I like it for him though.

ESPN has way too many personalities that want to be the story instead of reporting stories. Isn't just Stephen A.

All NBA should be on TNT with Inside the NBA after anyway. It was a bummer any playoff games on ESPN as opposed to TNT.

Their morning show sucks in general, but I didn't hate Kellerman. If anything, they should have dumped Jay Williams and kept the other two

ESPN could disappear for all I care. Much like CNN and FOX, it's become more about the talking heads than the actual games/news. MTV did the same thing ... awesome music became news then reality TV on the Jersey Shore. Give me those that let the product on the field shine. The BBCs of the sports world.

There was some person on Twitter who posted yesterday something like “Harden trade request coming tomorrow”, along with “watch out for Kyrie news” a few hours before the Suns thing and hit a bunch of draft picks and now the account is nuked. Wild. Woj musta called the cops.
He just tweeted "Miami getting that 2nd superstar from the PNW is strong" and deactivated his account again. :tinfoilhat:

JVG let go by ESPN

no loss there, either

She’s their best analyst though, by far.

The Amateur NBA Analyst

@droppingdimes20
·
39m
Why you @espn paying @wojespn $7 million? We out here.

The Amateur NBA Analyst

@droppingdimes20
·
23h
Woj getting paid $7 million a year. That’s a fact. I got more intel than he does

The Amateur NBA Analyst

@droppingdimes20
·
41m
Come get me Woj.

The Amateur NBA Analyst

@droppingdimes20
·
1h
Yo @wojespn step up your game
I am a fan.

I love that his name is dropping dimes. Reminds me of that State Farm ad with baby Lillard and teenage Kevin Love making that rap video. I thought it was cute and hilarious.

As far as ESPN goes, those on the way out include Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johnson, Suzy Kolber, Todd McShay, Steve Young, Matt Hasselbeck, Joon Lee, Ashley Brewer, LaPhonso Ellis, Jordan Cornette, and Jason Fitz. There are probably others as well, just don't see the names included on the list anywhere.

to speed up the total collapse of ESPN as a watchable channel?

every purge over the years has made the product worse to the point where they are now dumping people who are 4th tier, in favor of 5th tier personalities.

Agreed but somehow I think theyd be far better off hiring young, unproven talent and hope to build them up. It would be cheap, fresh personalities, hopefully with no weird shtick.

Im not sure anything can save them at this point but thats the direction I would go.

It seems like the news has been unusually quiet so far. I wonder if everyone is worried about tampering investigations?
If you put any stock in what this droppingdimes guy says:

-FVV to the Rockets is done
-Bruce Brown to the Pacers is done
-Vincent a likely FVV replacement in Toronto
-Philly will be making a play for Lillard, but might not have the assets to get it done

There's contradictory reporting from Fischer and others that FVV might be willing to stay in Toronto for 4/120. :popcorn:Also, Marc Stein is reporting that Draymond will stay in Golden State for 4 years, $100M.

Starting to think Green isn't an idiot. All those
Great deal for the Warriors and Green.
I think it's pretty awful for the Warriors in a vacuum (those last two years ... woof), but I guess they needed to do what was necessary to bring their core back for one last serious run at a title.

Totally disagree and I was saying let Green go if he wanted a huge deal.

This shows Green has self awareness, he knows he isn't a max player and when the time comes for him to be just a role player I think he will.

The cap will also go up, by time you hit those 3rd and 4th years. His contract will lineup with other bench players by that time.

Damion Lee returning to Suns. 2nd year is player option in case someone else in the league would ever want him

Some guy named Keita Bates- Diop also signed by Suns to fill out their roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread