What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know bowl season has lost a lot of oomph when I don't know until today that OU played our game (against Arizona?) and lost,

I'm pretty sure this says more about you than CFB as a whole.
Yea I mean if you don’t know when your own team plays you’ve kinda just checked out.
That's the point. A formerly rabid fan and now I no longer seem that invested...and I still love and follow the other sports I've always followed (including CFB more or less up until the point OU is eliminated from the playoff!). So clearly something has changed. YMMV.
It’s ok if it’s not longer for you. Despite posting in this thread all the time my interest in CFB is probably half of what it was 10 years ago. And then this year happened for fsu which was exciting and a huge ball kick all at once. I think if you realize the whole sport is a sham and enjoy the stupid parts of it and the pageantry of the stadiums etc it makes it better.
no truer words can be spoken with regard to CFB. my problem is, the stupid parts are REALLY stupid and hard for me to get past.
Yea. But it’s always been stupid. For decades we had idiot writers without full access to television voting on titles. Every hillbilly southern school would claim a share of one for 50 years. Then we had the BCS which was probably the best method of deciding teams but they only allowed two teams in. Now they have a moronic committee headed by some piggly wiggly guy named Boo making decisions based off of theoretical situations. It’s always been a sham, just nobody cared as much.
Feels like all the focus on the playoff (particularly by a certain network) really drowns out everything else. So much cool and interesting stuff goes on in CFB on a weekly basis, but is ignored.

You know bowl season has lost a lot of oomph when I don't know until today that OU played our game (against Arizona?) and lost,

Yea I mean if you don’t know when your own team plays you’ve kinda just checked out.
That's the point. A formerly rabid fan and now I no longer seem that invested...and I still love and follow the other sports I've always followed (including CFB more or less up until the point OU is eliminated from the playoff!). So clearly something has changed. YMMV.
It’s ok if it’s not longer for you. Despite posting in this thread all the time my interest in CFB is probably half of what it was 10 years ago. And then this year happened for fsu which was exciting and a huge ball kick all at once. I think if you realize the whole sport is a sham and enjoy the stupid parts of it and the pageantry of the stadiums etc it makes it better.
no truer words can be spoken with regard to CFB. my problem is, the stupid parts are REALLY stupid and hard for me to get past.
Yea. But it’s always been stupid. For decades we had idiot writers without full access to television voting on titles. Every hillbilly southern school would claim a share of one for 50 years. Then we had the BCS which was probably the best method of deciding teams but they only allowed two teams in. Now they have a moronic committee headed by some piggly wiggly guy named Boo making decisions based off of theoretical situations. It’s always been a sham, just nobody cared as much.
Feels like all the focus on the playoff (particularly by a certain network) really drowns out everything else. So much cool and interesting stuff goes on in CFB on a weekly basis, but is ignored.

Honestly, I have the same opinion as many in here but I have to acknowledge a lot of this is just all of us getting older. My Dad told me many years ago that my interest in sports and being a fan(atic) would dwindle as I aged. He’s right - it’s just not that important in the grand scheme of things.

The product on the field is as good as ever, IMO. That Clemson-Kentucky game yesterday was fantastic.

Agree 100% and I really don't understand why anyone would use the stat as a meaningful measure of anything. I was perfectly happy with bowls before the BCS as they were. "Championships" in CFB have always been dubious to me. I'm glad they're going to a playoff because it provides the opportunity for fanbases to go to places they likely wouldn't ever go early on. I wish they'd go back to the computer rankings of the BCS to determine the 12 teams though. It's rather obvious this committee stuff isn't the best approach. I was on board with the committee until this year. This situation where they just change the goal/criteria between years isn't good and yes, I'm aware it's been that way, but this year was particularly egregious IMO.

Agree 100% and I really don't understand why anyone would use the stat as a meaningful measure of anything. I was perfectly happy with bowls before the BCS as they were. "Championships" in CFB have always been dubious to me. I'm glad they're going to a playoff because it provides the opportunity for fanbases to go to places they likely wouldn't ever go early on. I wish they'd go back to the computer rankings of the BCS to determine the 12 teams though. It's rather obvious this committee stuff isn't the best approach. I was on board with the committee until this year. This situation where they just change the goal/criteria between years isn't good and yes, I'm aware it's been that way, but this year was particularly egregious IMO.
It's not just D1 where this happened; it was in D3 as well. The difference is in D3, 28 conferences get AQs, and there's only 4 at-large bids. Those who scheduled on the basis of SOS because of committee guidance got punished for it. What's sad is that not all D3 conferences are equal, or even close to it. My alma mater's conference is in the middle of the pack, but there are some conferences with poor historical playoff records that probably should have their AQ stripped from them.

McCord is somewhere in NY state smiling. Man was he the scapegoat of an atrocious offense. Henderson is a talent, but with no QB the entire offense looks like eunuchs.
It should have been rather clear prior to this game that McCord wasn't the problem, but if not, there's no denying it now. The defense is soft, especially on the back end. I don't expect Day to turn this around either. Something going to give sooner or later.
McCord was better than anyone else on the roster but he was a big part of the problem. He had good stats because of weak conference and an offense that is qb stat friendly. If he didn’t under throw and miss as many open receivers as he did, he and Marvin would have been Heisman contenders. Neither he or Devin Brown were great enough to claim qb1 until game two or whatever it was. Buckeyes were not winning the BIG1 or National Championship with him.

Defense was much improved this year but lacking the big play guys like a Bosa or Young. The guys that can get you a play or a stop when you need it which was evident in The Game when we could not get a stop.

This next season will be the one that either turns it around for Day or he’s done in my opinion. You can see the pressure on Day’s face.

If the UM cheating scandal proves to be as big as some have reported (possibly hacking into Buckeye computers for practice footage) it may take some pressure off of him.

Priority number one is go get a QB from the portal that can run your offense!

It's long been a problem in college hoops and will only get worse in football. It's not just one network's fault, though. It's the fanbases, too.

McCord is somewhere in NY state smiling. Man was he the scapegoat of an atrocious offense. Henderson is a talent, but with no QB the entire offense looks like eunuchs.
It should have been rather clear prior to this game that McCord wasn't the problem, but if not, there's no denying it now. The defense is soft, especially on the back end. I don't expect Day to turn this around either. Something going to give sooner or later.
McCord was better than anyone else on the roster but he was a big part of the problem. He had good stats because of weak conference and an offense that is qb stat friendly. If he didn’t under throw and miss as many open receivers as he did, he and Marvin would have been Heisman contenders. Neither he or Devin Brown were great enough to claim qb1 until game two or whatever it was. Buckeyes were not winning the BIG1 or National Championship with him.

Defense was much improved this year but lacking the big play guys like a Bosa or Young. The guys that can get you a play or a stop when you need it which was evident in The Game when we could not get a stop.

This next season will be the one that either turns it around for Day or he’s done in my opinion. You can see the pressure on Day’s face.

If the UM cheating scandal proves to be as big as some have reported (possibly hacking into Buckeye computers for practice footage) it may take some pressure off of him.

wait...is this a real report or is this along the lines of everything else that was brought up in Oct/Nov then evaporated into thin air after the suspensions didn't work? :lmao:

I think the actual point you guys is the teams used to care even in these crappy little bowls and now they don't, so wtf should we?

Terps looking great
So far. Their defense is horrific, though, so no lead is safe.

What the hell channel is Wyoming's game being shown on?

Not sure it is. It’s presented by Barstool Sports so it’s probably only airing at local cantinas in Mexico or something. I found a “channel” that lists the game start at 4:30, but it’s showing your game so that’s not happening.

3 more defensive starters out for fsu lmao. Still time to get your money in in Georgia. Only 4 defensive starters playing for fsu and I believe 4 offensive ones, all on the OL.

Terps looking great
So far. Their defense is horrific, though, so no lead is safe.

What the hell channel is Wyoming's game being shown on?

Not sure it is. It’s presented by Barstool Sports so it’s probably only airing at local cantinas in Mexico or something. I found a “channel” that lists the game start at 4:30, but it’s showing your game so that’s not happening.
I was actually supposed to be in Mexico right now, but had to cancel. I'd have been pretty okay with sitting in a beachfront cantina watching your game.

wait...is this a real report or is this along the lines of everything else that was brought up in Oct/Nov then evaporated into thin air after the suspensions didn't work? :lmao:
Has it really evaporated? We will see.

Has Jim’s contract extension evaporated also?

Has it really evaporated? We will see.

Has Jim’s contract extension evaporated also?
I guess it depends on where one is getting their news and what social media they follow. Lots of obsession out there to be found for sure. For the regular, run-of-the-mill person, I'd say yes, but I also understand some likely don't experience that given their SM choices. As far as I know, Jim's contract is on the table for him to accept. The last catch left is he guarantees not talking with the NFL for the 2024 season.

If my math is correct*, Florida State will be without...
97% of pass yards
73% of receiving yards
91% of rushing yards
59% of TFLs
45% of tackles
9% of OL snaps (!)
40% of PBUs

From Twitter

3 more defensive starters out for fsu lmao. Still time to get your money in in Georgia. Only 4 defensive starters playing for fsu and I believe 4 offensive ones, all on the OL.
I may be an idiot but had to take the 24.5…

Let's face it; who really watches the CW if you're not into emo superhero shows or teen dramas?
Who doesn't love a little Supergirl?!

Also, only reason I know where the Wyoming game is is because I set yttv to record all bowl games.

Second day in a row of lousy bowl games.
Unfortunately it has become pretty wretched with transfers, guys afraid to get hurt because of the draft.....it's nothing resembling anything I remember in the 80's and 90's and even the 00's (talking mostly the big bowl games)

Thank goodness for March Madness and the College World Series.....and at least we will see the top 12 compete moving forward in NCAAF

I do like watching the smaller bowl games where 99% of those guys are playing for the jersey and their teammates and nothing else. There is still some purity left if you look hard enough.

Second day in a row of lousy bowl games.
Unfortunately it has become pretty wretched with transfers, guys afraid to get hurt because of the draft.....it's nothing resembling anything I remember in the 80's and 90's and even the 00's (talking mostly the big bowl games)

Thank goodness for March Madness and the College World Series.....and at least we will see the top 12 compete moving forward in NCAAF

I do like watching the smaller bowl games where 99% of those guys are playing for the jersey and their teammates and nothing else. There is still some purity left if you look hard enough.
Then you have these clowns on the Barstool broadcast. They're not calling the game; they're acting like frat boys (as Barstoolers are won't to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread