What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't someone post the list above? Oregon was like 8 and USC like 5. ~$2M difference total.

The list is not someone adding up all the NIL deals, which is what the list LOOKS like.

Instead, it's proprietary algorithm, projection based forecast, Player Value formula, yada yada yada.

There's no data associated with the list.

The list is a guess

P5 NIL Team Rankings (from on3):

Anyone know where these numbers come from?

If a player can make his own deal for NIL, how would anyone know all the money being spent on NIL?
Was going to ask something similar.....not really sure how they get to their numbers. Here's their vague explanation.

I would be surprised if USC is outspending Oregon on football NIL. In fact, other than OSU, A&M and Texas, I’m not sure anyone is outspending Oregon.
Didn't someone post the list above? Oregon was like 8 and USC like 5. ~$2M difference total.

Right. I’m questioning the veracity of the list because it's pretty common knowledge that Oregon is outspending USC, which is why many USC fans aren’t happy with USC. USC certainly shells out for the big guys (Williams, Bronny), but isn’t as willing to open the wallet up and down the football roster. Don’t get me wrong, they still spend a crapton, but if the list has Oregon at 8 and USC at 4, I question it. A&M at 14 also seems preposterous.

Last edited:

The list is not someone adding up all the NIL deals, which is what the list LOOKS like.

Instead, it's proprietary algorithm, projection based forecast, Player Value formula, yada yada yada.

There's no data associated with the list.

The list is a guess
I'm guessing it's an underestimate too. There's no way you are going to convince me this is as far as they've gotten in all these years of paying players.

FSU is Coming out Swinging

They've amended their complaint and come out guns a-blazin' against Swofford and company. Most of us in the Conference TV contract discussions will remember Swofford for his obvious incompetence back then and the decisions made in running the conference in general. Now FSU is bringing up all that as ammo for their exit. :lmao:

That was quite the article. The ACC is going the way of the PAC-12. Just a matter of time.
The timer on the ACC started when Swofford and company chose to screw up the basketball angle in an attempt to chase football dollars after the B1G and SEC were well on their way to obtaining whatever they wanted.

They've amended their complaint and come out guns a-blazin' against Swofford and company. Most of us in the Conference TV contract discussions will remember Swofford for his obvious incompetence back then and the decisions made in running the conference in general. Now FSU is bringing up all that as ammo for their exit. :lmao:
We miss one playoff and decide to take down an entire conference lmao

We miss one playoff and decide to take down an entire conference lmao
I mean, they want to play the game this way, might as well go along. All they are going to be able to accomplish if they win is prolonging demise for 7-8 years..it's inevitable IMO.

Here is a good article about NIL values. I know it's been asked about in here before, and this is the most I've been able to find out about it.
“Everybody likes money, but it’s kind of the money?” a top-100 recruit said about what he’d change in college football. “I think people don’t play for the right thing in college football no more because they’re getting paid almost the same amount as NFL players, so it’s kind of the money.

“But I like money, so I ain’t going to say that.”

THAT'S SOME HIGH-LEVEL ANALYSIS, JIM. IT'S RARE FOR A COLLEGE KID TO BE SO THOUGHTED!

Anything interesting happening on this National Signing Day? It's crazy how much fun this day used to be, and now it's just whatever.

What's the end game here? I mean if the ACC now dissolves like the PAC10 did, are we looking at 2 super-conferences and a bunch of independents?

How many teams will be added to the B1G and SEC in the end?

Will any non-B1G or SEC teams have any relevance at all?

It seems like the POWER 5 (plus) model would work a lot better with the new playoff system in place = but teams are chasing the money (which I get).

What's the end game here? I mean if the ACC now dissolves like the PAC10 did, are we looking at 2 super-conferences and a bunch of independents?

It seems like the POWER 5 (plus) model would work a lot better with the new playoff system in place = but teams are chasing the money (which I get).
I’d say if you don’t end up in one of the big two leagues you are probably screwed but if you don’t end up in them you also probably weren’t ever a real national title contender anyways.

I’d say if you don’t end up in one of the big two leagues you are probably screwed but if you don’t end up in them you also probably weren’t ever a real national title contender anyways.
how far will those two conferences expand though? 15, 20, 30 teams each?

I'm not 100% the ACC dissolves. Even if FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC leave (for example) they would still have 10-12 schools and where would those schools go? At some point these teams have to be somewhere - unless they move to 24-32 team conferences.

I'm not 100% the ACC dissolves. Even if FSU, Clemson, Miami and UNC leave (for example) they would still have 10-12 schools and where would those schools go? At some point these teams have to be somewhere - unless they move to 24-32 team conferences.
I mean that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around - I guess the ACC may still exist - but is there any relevance at all or are we looking at basically 11 of the 12 teams coming from the SEC and/or B1G (leaving a spot for Notre Dame)?

Admittedly I'm more of a casual college football fan likely than most in here but that doesn't seem as appealing to me - a field of 5-6 conference champs and some "wildcard" teams is more interesting than the 6th best team in the SEC playing the 5th best B1G team.

I mean that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around - I guess the ACC may still exist - but is there any relevance at all or are we looking at basically 11 of the 12 teams coming from the SEC and/or B1G (leaving a spot for Notre Dame)?

Admittedly I'm more of a casual college football fan likely than most in here but that doesn't seem as appealing to me - a field of 5-6 conference champs and some "wildcard" teams is more interesting than the 6th best team in the SEC playing the 5th best B1G team.

I'm probably biased because I'm fed up with all of it but I do find it a little ironic that in the last year of 4 teams that FSU has this happen. It may or will be good for them but from an outsider it seems they are positioned to be top-12 for years if they stay in ACC. They wouldn't get shut out again. If they move to SEC they could easily be the 5th or 6th best team and not get in next year. UGA, Bama, Texas, Ole Miss, Oklahoma (and maybe throw in another team or two taking a next step). Seems like if the concern is playing in the 12-team tournament that staying makes more sense - but I have no idea what the numbers these schools will get in the SEC while not making it.

FSU staying in the ACC would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars moving forward. The ACC "fought" to get the TV deal they have right now. Compare their deals to that of the SEC and B1G and the economics become rather clear IMO.

feels like this is just a means to break the NCAA stronghold and start something new that ultimately winds up in the same place with different people making the money

FSU staying in the ACC would cost them hundreds of millions of dollars moving forward. The ACC "fought" to get the TV deal they have right now. Compare their deals to that of the SEC and B1G and the economics become rather clear IMO.

Then FSU should STFU about being left out.

not following....they are complaining that they are being kept in a conference that is pretty clearly holding them back. Seems like two completely different topics. #1. Topic of legitimacy in the committee's view and #2. The money they are going to make compared to the money they are making. Both are improved by leaving the ACC based on the evidence presented us.

not following....they are complaining that they are being kept in a conference that is pretty clearly holding them back. Seems like two completely different topics. #1. Topic of legitimacy in the committee's view and #2. The money they are going to make compared to the money they are making. Both are improved by leaving the ACC based on the evidence presented us.

I think their chances of being in the playoff is diminished leaving the ACC. I have no doubt the money is better.

I think their chances of being in the playoff is diminished leaving the ACC. I have no doubt the money is better.
Their chances of winning a conference are diminished yes. Getting an at large will be dramatically improved.

If they go through the B1G or the SEC undefeated, they are in and likely a 1 or 2.....that's the issue right? They were overlooked as an undefeated power 5 school....that won't likely ever (and I rarely ever use that word) happen as part of either the SEC or B1G. This is why I'm saying their legitimacy perception is improved.

Their chances of winning a conference are diminished yes. Getting an at large will be dramatically improved.

I could be totally wrong but I don’t see the SEC getting 5-6+ teams in. FSU may already be in the 5-6 range and could have teams like Florida and Tennessee jump them if they get their acts together. Granted ACC may only get 1-2 teams in so it’s definitely an unknown but I still think their path is easier in ACC. But ACC may not exist and we both know this isn’t really about football anyway so it’s great for their pocketbook.

If they go through the B1G or the SEC undefeated, they are in and likely a 1 or 2.....that's the issue right? They were overlooked as an undefeated power 5 school....that won't likely ever (and I rarely ever use that word) happen as part of either the SEC or B1G. This is why I'm saying their legitimacy perception is improved.

This year is an anomaly in that regard, IMO. UGA, Bama (TBD), Okla, Texas are already at FSU level. Path is much harder and I don’t see them being in even a 12 teamer as a foregone conclusion (if they were in SEC next year)

I could be totally wrong but I don’t see the SEC getting 5-6+ teams in. FSU may already be in the 5-6 range and could have teams like Florida and Tennessee jump them if they get their acts together. Granted ACC may only get 1-2 teams in so it’s definitely an unknown but I still think their path is easier in ACC. But ACC may not exist and we both know this isn’t really about football anyway so it’s great for their pocketbook.
If fsu leaves they are almost certainly going Big Ten.

This year is an anomaly in that regard, IMO. UGA, Bama (TBD), Okla, Texas are already at FSU level. Path is much harder and I don’t see them being in even a 12 teamer as a foregone conclusion (if they were in SEC next year)
idk. I see a pac team (although maybe not now), an ACC team, a Big XII team, a G5 team, and 4 each from B1G and SEC as the likeliest outcome right now.

More likely you're a top 4 team any given season in a B1G that's really only tOSU, UM, and PSU than you totally dominating the ACC. AND especially likely that if you stay ACC you start losing talent because you lack money and exposure.

idk. I see a pac team (although maybe not now), an ACC team, a Big XII team, a G5 team, and 4 each from B1G and SEC as the likeliest outcome right now.

More likely you're a top 4 team any given season in a B1G that's really only tOSU, UM, and PSU than you totally dominating the ACC. AND especially likely that if you stay ACC you start losing talent because you lack money and exposure.

Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA now too. FSU was great this year but I don’t see them as a sure thing in either the SEC or B1G.

Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA now too. FSU was great this year but I don’t see them as a sure thing in either the SEC or B1G.
Is anyone saying they're a sure thing? Just saying they're far more likely to be top 4 in the B1G than to be undefeated in any conference.

Is anyone saying they're a sure thing? Just saying they're far more likely to be top 4 in the B1G than to be undefeated in any conference.

Not sure where the undefeated came from - all I’m saying is I think it’s not a given that their path is easier to the playoff in SEC/B1G than it is the ACC. Especially in the next few years as there’s nobody in the ACC that looks ready to challenge them.

Not sure where the undefeated came from - all I’m saying is I think it’s not a given that their path is easier to the playoff in SEC/B1G than it is the ACC. Especially in the next few years as there’s nobody in the ACC that looks ready to challenge them.
Well now you've said that you don't think it's a given. Which is a much softer stance that your other posts. What you actually said was that the Path is much harder, and then that you don't see them as a sure thing.

Reasonable minds can disagree on whether it is definitely easier or harder, but it's close. And given the money difference, you kind of have to imagine they'd only have a short amount of time left as an ACC team where they can actually attract talent, and then they go downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread