What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it sucks but all the best to him. He's a legend forever in Ann Arbor. And he left us in a great position.

I reckon it won't be 24 hours before Sherrone Moore is named head coach.
Smart move. Goes out on top.
When has a National Championship winning HC ever left immediately after for an NFL job? Why hasn't anyone from UoM been on the recruiting trail and using that National Championship win to bring in new talent now that they are losing half their team. I think Harbaugh said they would have 22 drafted players this year. He is leaving that cupboard bare for Moore - especially if he's taking Minter and Jay H with him. They still haven't backfilled the LB spot (Minter's dad was interim help this year). There's also rumors that Harbaugh will take the QB coach and OL coach with him to the Chargers also.

So Moore is now left to pick up the pieces, deal with any blow back from the NCAA, try to recruit new talent, all while trying to convince any existing players to remain. The 30 day transfer window is now open with Harbaugh heading to the NFL. Who at UoM will stay, who will go? Alabama needs a new DB, and Johnson could now be in play. Things are going to be interesting.

The cupboard is far from bare. And the coaches have been recruiting.

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the *National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.
Fixed. By me for now, but little doubt in my mind that Harbaugh jumped knowing what is coming.

Well it sucks but all the best to him. He's a legend forever in Ann Arbor. And he left us in a great position.

When has a National Championship winning HC ever left immediately after for an NFL job? Why hasn't anyone from UoM been on the recruiting trail and using that National Championship win to bring in new talent now that they are losing half their team. I think Harbaugh said they would have 22 drafted players this year. He is leaving that cupboard bare for Moore - especially if he's taking Minter and Jay H with him. They still haven't backfilled the LB spot (Minter's dad was interim help this year). There's also rumors that Harbaugh will take the QB coach and OL coach with him to the Chargers also.

So Moore is now left to pick up the pieces, deal with any blow back from the NCAA, try to recruit new talent, all while trying to convince any existing players to remain. The 30 day transfer window is now open with Harbaugh heading to the NFL. Who at UoM will stay, who will go? Alabama needs a new DB, and Johnson could now be in play. Things are going to be interesting.

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the *National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.
Fixed. By me for now, but little doubt in my mind that Harbaugh jumped knowing what is coming.

What do you think is coming?

What do you think is coming?
Winter

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.
In all honesty, it's a legit question. All I've read from UoM beat reporters is that Harbaugh was in MI to attend meetings yesterday and that his contract would be signed any day now to make him the highest paid HC in CFB. Then others are saying the opposite and that the Chargers signing is imminent. Reading the MGOBlog, there are posters there pissed at Warde Manual and blaming him for Harbaugh leaving, and the impact it will have on the team next year. Others are saying Moore isn't the guy for the job. And again, usually when a team wins the championship, they use that as a major recruiting tool to bolster their roster. I haven't heard anything about what UoM is doing with it - other than still celebrating. Just seems that in this day and age of the portal and high level recruiting, having the clout that UoM does right now would mean something and could be capitalized. Favortism aside, it just seems odd to me.

I know you are excited that Ohio State may break the streak and beat the National Champion Michigan Wolverines next year. But they will be ok. So I guess we will see.
In all honesty, it's a legit question. All I've read from UoM beat reporters is that Harbaugh was in MI to attend meetings yesterday and that his contract would be signed any day now to make him the highest paid HC in CFB. Then others are saying the opposite and that the Chargers signing is imminent. Reading the MGOBlog, there are posters there pissed at Warde Manual and blaming him for Harbaugh leaving, and the impact it will have on the team next year. Others are saying Moore isn't the guy for the job. And again, usually when a team wins the championship, they use that as a major recruiting tool to bolster their roster. I haven't heard anything about what UoM is doing with it - other than still celebrating. Just seems that in this day and age of the portal and high level recruiting, having the clout that UoM does right now would mean something and could be capitalized. Favortism aside, it just seems odd to me.

So the assistant coaches have been out on the recruiting trail. Headed up by Sherrone. But, of course, it's always difficult to recruit when we don't know who the coach will be. Hopefully naming Sherrone coach will help that.

Having said that, Michigan has never recruited at the level of Ohio State. That's not how it has used its NIL in the past. Instead, it's used it more to keep proven good players and bring in good transfers. As opposed to buying high school 5*. I'm sure you recognize this strategy because Ohio State is trying to copy it this year.

Will it continue to work? Will they need to adapt? Will missing out on many of the transfers in this window because of coaching uncertainly really hurt? Maybe. We will have to see.

But I trust the staff. I mean - they just won the National Championship.

Ive never been a fan of Ward, but thats not new and i dont blame him for jim going after his dream. Thats just dumb. The 2024 class is signed, so im not sure what the concern is.

It seems Alex Grinch found another job.

This reminds me of something my brother in law once said to me years ago as we were passing a joint back and forth in Fort Collins. His wife was on her fourth or fifth job in about a 2 year period and had just been fired again. He's a very matter of fact guy - "well she is good at getting jobs." Simple but true, and I guess the same can be said for Ginch. He is very good at getting hired.

This reminds me of something my brother in law once said to me years ago as we were passing a joint back and forth in Fort Collins. His wife was on her fourth or fifth job in about a 2 year period and had just been fired again. He's a very matter of fact guy - "well she is good at getting jobs." Simple but true, and I guess the same can be said for Ginch. He is very good at getting hired.
This reminds me of a Seinfeld quote trying to reserve a rental car.

"See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to hold the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding."

Not to hijack the thread (and I know this is an old video) but man do I envy people getting to start retirement. I have to imagine it's such a great feeling - especially if you've planned well and have plans for your time. My wife's aunt passed away today - once of my biggest fears, if you want to call it a fear, is I will work until I'm 60 or so and then drop dead before I get to enjoy being retired. It's one reason I make sure to spend time now enjoying life and taking trips, etc.

It seems Alex Grinch found another job.

that is a silver lining view. outstanding stuff.

Ohio State breaking the bank to win.

WSJ did an article on how OSU will spend whatever it takes to win football games. Rumors are floating around that OSU spent 13 million to get players from other teams to transfer to OSU. Not counting keep their own.

Don`t see how this is good for the game going forward. Most schools can`t spend that kind of money to win or compete.

WSJ did an article on how OSU will spend whatever it takes to win football games. Rumors are floating around that OSU spent 13 million to get players from other teams to transfer to OSU. Not counting keep their own.

Don`t see how this is good for the game going forward. Most schools can`t spend that kind of money to win or compete.
The NFL is eventually gonna find a way to shut this down

It's the wild wild west now :lmao:

Rumors of Lanning tampering with FSU players. Rumors of Riley tampering with Pitt players. Rumors of B1G teams colluding to "spy" on other B1G teams. Rumors of catapult system being hacked. Rumors, Rumors, Rumors.

Funny thing with OSU is that talent's never been an issue there...even in the Cooper/Tressel years.

The NFL is eventually gonna find a way to shut this down

Going forward the NCAA will be eliminated as there won`t be a need. College football will need a commissioner and a NIL cap put into place. Right now, it is the wild west.

Michigan winning broke those boys.

I love the fact that OSU openly brags about getting their recruits $13 mil in NIL money, but some FSU coach drives a player to a meeting, and they're facing NCAA sanctions

I love the fact that OSU openly brags about getting their recruits $13 mil in NIL money, but some FSU coach drives a player to a meeting, and they're facing NCAA sanctions

Right, I understand tOSU is spending $3 million more than FSU but, I mean, it's not like FSU isn't throwing a bunch of money around too.

P5 NIL Team Rankings (from on3):
1 - Texas $19.9 mil
2 - Alabama $16 mil
3 - tOSU 13.6 mil
4 - USC 13.5 mil
5 - Georgia 13.4 mil
6 - Colorado 12.3 mil
7 - Michigan 11.6 mil
8 - Oregon 11.6 mil
9 - Tennessee 11.6 mil
10 - Florida State 10.2 mil
11 - LSU 10.1 mil
12 - Penn State 9.9 mil
13 - Oklahoma 9.7 mil
14 - Texas A&M 9.3 mil
15 - Notre Dame 8.6 mil
16 - Miami 8.2 mil
17 - South Carolina 8 mil
18 - Clemson 7.8 mil
19 - Florida 7.8 mil
20 - Ole Miss 7.3 mil
21 - Auburn 6.9 mil
22 - Washington 6.9 mil
23 - Missouri 6.8 mil
24 - North Carolina 6.8 mil
25 - Kentucky 5.9 mil
----- top 25 -----
26 - Nebraska 5.9 mil
27 - Louisville 5.7 mil
28 - Iowa 5.3 mil
29 - UCLA 5.3 mil
30 - Arkansas 5.2 mil
31 - Wisconsin 5.1 mil
32 - Texas Tech 4.6 mil
33 - Oregon State 4.4 mil
34 - Baylor 4.2 mil
35 - Maryland 4.2 mil
36 - TCU 4.1 mil
37 - West Virginia 3.9 mil
38 - Michigan State 3.8 mil
39 - Purdue 3.8 mil
40 - Utah 3.8 mil
41 - Arizona 3.7 mil
42 - Kansas 3.7 mil
43 - Mississippi State 3.7 mil
44 - Kansas State 3.6 mil
45 - Oklahoma State 3.4 mil
46 - Virginia Tech 3.3 mil
47 - Washington State 3.3 mil
48 - Illinois 3.1 mil
----------------------------------------
49 - Minnesota 3 mil
----------------------------------------
50 - NC State 3 mil
51 - Rutgers 2.8 mil
52 - Wake Forest 2.8 mil
53 - Iowa State 2.7 mil
54 - Pittsburgh 2.7 mil
55 - Arizona State 2.6 mil
56 - Georgia Tech 2.6 mil
57 - Duke 2.5 mil
58 - UCF 2.5 mil
59 - Virginia 2.5 mil
60 - Syracuse 2.4 mil
61 - Vanderbilt 2.4 mil
62 - California 2.3 mil
63 - Standford 2.3 mil
64 - Indiana 2.2 mil
65 - Boston College 2 mil
66 - Cincinnati 1.9 mil
67 - Northwestern 1.6 mil
68 - Houston 1.5 mil

Last edited:
College football will need a commissioner and a NIL cap put into place.
NIL cap? There would be a lawsuit, and they would lose.

Get rid of NCAA, make it a professional league as it basically is now. Put a cap in place like the NFL and NBA have.

Say 1 million a school divided up as they see fit.

I know it won`t happen but now with schools like Ohio State who have not won will spend any amount to get a title. Can`t see how that helps the sport.

Get rid of NCAA, make it a professional league as it basically is now. Put a cap in place like the NFL and NBA have.

Say 1 million a school divided up as they see fit.

I know it won`t happen but now with schools like Ohio State who have not won will spend any amount to get a title. Can`t see how that helps the sport.
NBA and NFL don't have NIL caps. Michael Jordan was allowed to make as much money from Nike as he possibly could.

Dividing up the money how they see fit is why they already went to court, and lost.

College football will need a commissioner and a NIL cap put into place.
NIL cap? There would be a lawsuit, and they would lose.
Would get laughed out of court. World is changing, everybody needs to accept it or watch the xfl.
Maybe I misunderstand your meaning, but if they tried to cap NIL there would absolutely be a lawsuit and they would be very likely to win IMO. Illegal restraint of trade without a CBA.

Players don't need to sacrifice off-field money for the long term sake of college football competitive balance.

The NCAA needs to find the best way to succeed within the framework of our nation's laws.

They have a great product. There's a lot of money. This should not be hard.

Anyone know where these numbers come from?

If a player can make his own deal for NIL, how would anyone know all the money being spent on NIL?
Was going to ask something similar.....not really sure how they get to their numbers. Here's their vague explanation.

I would be surprised if USC is outspending Oregon on football NIL. In fact, other than OSU, A&M and Texas, I’m not sure anyone is outspending Oregon.

Last edited:
Zuckerberg and Gates should team up and make Harvard the best football program in the country. Build a new stadium, Take em D1 and outbid everyone for the best players.

5 stars get 5 million then trickle it down a million per star. Best players would be lining up.

Hire Dan Campbell for 15 million a year as he would be a great rah rah college HC, get the best OCs and DCs from the NFL.

If a player can make his own deal for NIL, how would anyone know all the money being spent on NIL?
Was going to ask something similar.....not really sure how they get to their numbers. Here's their vague explanation.

I would be surprised if USC is outspending Oregon on football NIL. In fact, other than OSU, A&M and Texas, I’m not sure anyone is outspending Oregon.

Isn't USC spending a TON of money settling lawsuits? There was an OBGYN that was all kinds of awful and maybe some other issues? Kids of rich parents getting admitted bogusly.

Isn't USC spending a TON of money settling lawsuits? There was an OBGYN that was all kinds of awful and maybe some other issues? Kids of rich parents getting admitted bogusly.

Oh yeah, USC is a mess. Lawsuits aplenty. The NIL thing wasn’t meant as a dig on Oregon. It was questioning the veracity of the list. Division St. is an absolute powerhouse.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, USC is a mess. Lawsuits aplenty. The NIL thing wasn’t meant as a dig on Oregon. It was questioning the veracity of the list. Division St. is an absolute powerhouse.

Oh, I didn't take it as a dig. Oregon has to spend money to land players. There's not a lot of homegrown talent here.

i'm naive and don't follow this as closely as... probably all of you do... where does this NIL money come from? just rich dudes emptying their personal accounts so that a HS kid from podunk Oklahoma plays football at their school??

Zuckerberg and Gates should team up and make Harvard the best football program in the country. Build a new stadium, Take em D1 and outbid everyone for the best players.

5 stars get 5 million then trickle it down a million per star. Best players would be lining up.

Hire Dan Campbell for 15 million a year as he would be a great rah rah college HC, get the best OCs and DCs from the NFL.

The problem with this is that most 5 star players probably would be unable to qualify academically to get into Harvard.

i'm naive and don't follow this as closely as... probably all of you do... where does this NIL money come from? just rich dudes emptying their personal accounts so that a HS kid from podunk Oklahoma plays football at their school??
That and people pay 20 bucks a month or whatever. The fsu one sells t-shirts and autographs and ….. whiskey for some reason. I don’t understand why people do it but to each their own.

Didn't someone post the list above? Oregon was like 8 and USC like 5. ~$2M difference total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread