What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to fault Lanning. That's THE job.

So it goes....
My source is confident Lanning isn't going anywhere. I feel much better now.

Why? Why wouldn't he take it? I would. You would too.
I certainly don't blame him if he does. It is nice thing to have your coach be wanted, it means he is very good. If he turns down Alabama then he is at Oregon for goos, which would be amazing. He will bring a championship to Oregon soon.

Kinda have to believe they dont announce this without knowing where theyre going next, right?

You'd think so.

Especially as super agent Jimmy Sexton controls so much of this. He's the agent for Saban, Kiffin, Norvell, DeBoer and about half the good teams it seems.

His brother also happens to be one of my best friends...

So it goes....

Who is your source?
Huge Oregon donor who has been correct on many things in the past such as Lanning would call a press conference that day abd turn down A&M job which he did, also about going to Big 10, and multiple injuries for Oregon players before public knowledge.

Nothing is for certain but at this point Oregon feels good about keeping Lanning. A starting cornerback just posted on Instragram Lanning isn't going anywhere relax.

Transfer portal for Bama recruits/players makes the coach hiring speed especially interesting. Them being granted 30 additional days suddenly has feeding frenzy if a marquee name isn’t in place quickly.

So it goes....

Who is your source?
Huge Oregon donor who has been correct on many things in the past such as Lanning would call a press conference that day abd turn down A&M job which he did, also about going to Big 10, and multiple injuries for Oregon players before public knowledge.

Nothing is for certain but at this point Oregon feels good about keeping Lanning. A starting cornerback just posted on Instragram Lanning isn't going anywhere relax.

Thanks. Heard similar things about Lincoln Riley at OU so we'll see. Should be interesting. I can see why Lanning might want to stay. Would much rather be in the Big10 than SEC.

Watched a few Bama games this season, and the last one vs Michigan and Saban did not look like he had the same fire, like he already had his mind made up.

I mean he is 72 so he deserves to retire and I am sure he will be on College Game Day or another show. The game has changed, players come and go now. Before if Bama lost a guy they had a 4 Star backup. Now those guys leave if they are not playing. Have to recruit your own players every year to stay. Tough for old school HCs to accept that.

Great career and will miss his crotchety press interviews.

I wonder if NIL made him retire a bit early? A la Krzyzewski and Jay Wright. ALA might have a leg up with a lot of NIL money, but it's a total PITA to deal with kids rolling up in Maserati's for signing day, bolting in the transfer portal, etc. At 70+ years old is it really worth dealing with the 24x7x365 the job has become. Coaches are basically recruiting their own players during their own games.

It’ll be interesting to see how some newer Bama fans or those who forgot react to not being dominant anymore. Bama was not this Bama before he got there. Lot of bad hires and mediocre years.

Admittedly I hadn't watched a lot of Penix but did catch both Oregon games, the Texas game and this one. Big difference was the pressure the UM d-line got. He didn't have the time he did in those other games. However, he sucked pretty bad and looked really uncomfortable for a guy playing his 5/6 year and is the Heismann winner. He has weird release points and arm mechanics and I'd be worried about balls getting consistently tipped in the pros. But he's still really good and will play on Sundays - just don't think he's a sure thing.

Also, I would like to see him run more last night. He seemed hesitant to run - maybe it was the ribs?
4 season ending ACL surgeries while at Indiana also has something to do with it I think.

He just kept missing high. It wasn’t yips all over the place but specifically high for some reason. Part was the Michigan D, but those glaring misses were clean pockets for the most part.
gimpy knees, weird release, lost in the big game.... are we sure that wasn't Philip Rivers in disguise?

Enjoy retirement Coach, you certainly earned it. I told all these young spoiled fans to enjoy it while it lasts, because this is usually a once in a lifetime deal. I got to enjoy as a very young child the end of the Bryant era, and then suffered a lot after that. Coach Stallings brought the program back only to have it fall again. It is very hard to have continued success, and Coach did that, without controversy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

My hope is that we get Lanning (sorry Oregon fans). He's young and feels like he's from the same mold.

Enjoy retirement Coach, you certainly earned it. I told all these young spoiled fans to enjoy it while it lasts, because this is usually a once in a lifetime deal. I got to enjoy as a very young child the end of the Bryant era, and then suffered a lot after that. Coach Stallings brought the program back only to have it fall again. It is very hard to have continued success, and Coach did that, without controversy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

My hope is that we get Lanning (sorry Oregon fans). He's young and feels like he's from the same mold.
I don't blame you for wanting Lanning, but he isn't finished at Oregon yet.

I don't blame you for wanting Lanning, but he isn't finished at Oregon yet.
Oh yeah you can never tell about these things. He'd be my top choice.

The split zone duo guys who basically formed their business around coaching changes think it will be DeBoer or Lanning. They say DeBoer has an unsigned extension sitting there.

They are a good pod if you haven’t heard of them. They mocked Thamel who is basically a mouthpiece for agents getting their client names out there (that’s how Franklin’s name appeared).

Harbaugh wins a national championship and the other Harbaugh wins the SB in the same year. Could happen and that would be kinda crazy.

Norvell going to Bama would immediately usher in the coach Prime era in Tallahassee.

Lanning seems to be the logical choice.

Per ESPN this am (news scroll) was upset with the direction college football is heading. With the coaching rumors, maybe ncaa can establish a coaches transfer portal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread