What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Men's College World Series (1 Viewer)

Yea the pitching depth advantage I thought UF had seems to be gone for 1 game take all…should a fun game.

That's the dumbest rule in the history of sports. It makes absolutely zero sense and they could probably call it on every single play.

Doesn’t seem that long ago that you would see 1-2 pitchers per team topping out in the low 90s in the CWS. Now it seems each team has an entire staff of guys in the mid-90s

Doesn’t seem that long ago that you would see 1-2 pitchers per team topping out in the low 90s in the CWS. Now it seems each team has an entire staff of guys in the mid-90s
last year my son's high school league had 5 pitchers that could sit in the 90's. It was crazy.

That's the dumbest rule in the history of sports. It makes absolutely zero sense and they could probably call it on every single play.
What rule?

This is runner's interference and an automatic out, according to the rule.
The runner has to be in the running lane while running to first for any play where a throw may be coming from in front of home plate (or any angle where the runner could interfere with a clear path throw to first base). The runner will only be called out if he is outside the lane and the throw/catch ability is hindered by him being outside the lane. I assume they deemed the runner was outside the running lane and interfered with the 1B's ability to catch the thrown ball. I was watching with the sound off and I didn't see the entire play so I didn't get the commentary or analysis. From what I saw I thought it was a bad call but that doesn't make this a dumb rule. The rule is very clear that the runner must run inside the running lane and if he doesn't he runs the risk of being called out if he interferes with the ability to catch a thrown ball. The judgement of "interfering with the ability to catch a thrown ball" is where the issue comes in. The rule is not dumb and has a very specific purpose. It outlines where a runner can run and not be in danger of being ruled out for interference. It is supposed to protect the runner and give them a place to run freely without risk of being called out.

It shouldn't be called on every play. For example, a ground ball to the 2B will not be affected by the runner so they can run where ever they want.

What rule?

The runner has to be in the running lane while running to first for any play where a throw may be coming from in front of home plate (or any angle where the runner could interfere with a clear path throw to first base). The runner will only be called out if he is outside the lane and the throw/catch ability is hindered by him being outside the lane. I assume they deemed the runner was outside the running lane and interfered with the 1B's ability to catch the thrown ball. I was watching with the sound off and I didn't see the entire play so I didn't get the commentary or analysis. From what I saw I thought it was a bad call but that doesn't make this a dumb rule. The rule is very clear that the runner must run inside the running lane and if he doesn't he runs the risk of being called out if he interferes with the ability to catch a thrown ball. The judgement of "interfering with the ability to catch a thrown ball" is where the issue comes in. The rule is not dumb and has a very specific purpose. It outlines where a runner can run and not be in danger of being ruled out for interference. It is supposed to protect the runner and give them a place to run freely without risk of being called out.

It shouldn't be called on every play. For example, a ground ball to the 2B will not be affected by the runner so they can run where ever they want.
The problem as always is when can the runner leave the lane to actually touch the base. This why I actually like the safety first bases tbh.

What rule?

It was definitely the correct call by the letter of the law, which just shows how bad the letter of the law is in this case.

I think it's dumb to require the runner to be in foul territory while the base itself is entirely in fair territory, and that a runner cannot run straight into the bag. If a runner is on 1st and there is a ground ball to 1st the runner can run straight into 2nd. Same thing for a runner on 3rd base running home on a ground ball to 3rd. Only at 1st base did they decide for some silly reason that the runner has to run completely in foul territory to run straight through a bag that is in fair territory.

If they're intent on the runners staying in foul territory the whole time then they should just put the little orange bag in foul territory like they have in little league. It would cut down on injuries to boot. But it makes the field look unpretty to purists, so instead we get controversy and 95% of people saying "that's really dumb" any time there's a poor throw to the home plate side of first base.

I think it's dumb to require the runner to be in foul territory while the base itself is entirely in fair territory,
Agreed. They could have just made the running lane on the other side of the foul line and not had to worry about veering last minute adding extra judgement into the call. I believe the reasoning behind it originally was to give a throwing lane to 1B for bunts (which would be in fair territory). But it leads to more controversy.

I don't think the rule is dumb as it is trying to give the runner a "free" space to run without interfering. However, the geometry of the set up leads to situations like yesterday where the runner has to cross out of the lane to hit the bag. The rule allows for that but then it becomes a judgement call if it happens too soon or not which just adds to more difficulties in making a ruling. If the "free" lane is on the bag side of the foul line it would be clear cut on how to rule the play.

Users who are viewing this thread