What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Men's College World Series (1 Viewer)

jb1020 said:
If you got a straight answer from most of their fans a month ago...they were really hoping to miss the tournament and move on from their coach.  I get it too.  He's been there 22 seasons now.  1 Omaha appearance in 2014 and he was like 1-6 in Super Regionals.  

They've had some damn good teams the past 20 years and never really sniffed a championship.  
MState fan here too - I wish they'd have missed the tourney and fired him too now.  Three months ago we were all rooting for them to keep him but a title changes the landscape quickly...

MState fan here too - I wish they'd have missed the tourney and fired him too now.  Three months ago we were all rooting for them to keep him but a title changes the landscape quickly...
A title definitely changed it for us!  3 straight appearances and a title to not even on the bubble.  

OM loses alto from this team just like we did.  

Super Regionals are set.

Wake Forest vs Alabama

Florida vs South Carolina

Stanford vs Texas

Virginia vs Duke

LSU vs Kentucky

Oral Roberts vs Oregon

Tennessee vs Southern Miss

Indiana State vs TCU
I remember when west coast baseball was a thing.

Well today is South Carolina at #2 Florida. Florida has elite pitching so it's gonna be tough. The sweep by Carolina in Columbia earlier in the season doesn't mean much. Carolina was the hottest team in the country at the time and #1 in RPI. They suffered a lot of injuries since then and fell off. They are getting somewhat healthy at the right time so they have a great opportunity to advance to Omaha. Should be a great series.

What this Bama team has done since the Coach firing really drives home how important a good leader and culture are at this level.

Oregon hasn't been to the CWS since 1954. Rooting for them in this elimination game because it's always fun to have different fan bases in Omaha. And I have a 40 year beef with Oral Roberts. :angry:

ETA: Hoping LSU makes it for kind of the opposite reason. Their fans show up even when their team isn't there, but I've never personally attended when their team is there. They should bring a crowd.

Currently scheduled to attend the first Momday and Tuesday night games. ;)

Last edited:

Last inning was crazy with people losing the ball.

The guy that scored the winning run there earlier hit a deep fly ball that hit off the wall but half the stadium thought it had gone over the fence for a walk off hr. The Stanford dugout rushed half way out on the field to celebrate and the batter threw his helmet off in celebration and almost got thrown out when he didn't realize it hadn't gone over the fence until the outfielder was throwing it in.

Never thought I’d see a tournament of any sort where Wake Forest was the #1 overall seed.
They've probabbly been the #1 seed in more men's tournies than FSU.

Wake Forest is one of only three schools with fewer than 5,500 undergraduates to have won NCAA Division I team championships in five sports: men's golf, field hockey, men's soccer, baseball, and men's tennis.

Their soccer team in particular has been a powerhouse for years.

Never thought I’d see a tournament of any sort where Wake Forest was the #1 overall seed.

Wake Forest is one of only three schools with fewer than 5,500 undergraduates to have won NCAA Division I team championships in five sports: men's golf, field hockey, men's soccer, baseball, and men's tennis.

I meant sports people even mildly care about, sorry for the confusion.

Well then you should have "football or basketball" rather than "tournament of any sort"

Maybe not #1 overall but WF were a regional #1 seed at least one year in the mid-90's when Tim Duncan was in his prime.

Well then you should have "football or basketball" rather than "tournament of any sort"
why would you think I was talking about field hockey or tennis lol

why would you think I was talking about field hockey or tennis lol
I was thinking more along the lines of soccer or golf which are major sports in the US. Obviously if we are talking college, only football and basketball would really count. Wake was a #1 NCAA basketball seed in 1995. Football just recently started a "tourney". When you said tourney of any sort what sports were you referring to?

The Gators are on one of those magical runs…
Yep. You could tell when the coach makes the trip visit mistake to take out the best RP and they still win anyway.....

To be fair the guy they accidentally brought in (Fisher) has actually been pitching better than the guy they accidentally took out (Neely) lately.

Neely actually blew the save in the very next game after Fisher had looked lights out in front of him.

The Gators are on one of those magical runs…
Yep. You could tell when the coach makes the trip visit mistake to take out the best RP and they still win anyway.....

To be fair the guy they accidentally brought in (Fisher) has actually been pitching better than the guy they accidentally took out (Neely) lately.

Neely actually blew the save in the very next game after Fisher had looked lights out in front of him.
Sure but in a fiasco like that more often than not things just implode. The look on the coaches face was just utter disgust at himself that he just blew that game and then he gets bailed out.

What an epic game last night between LSU and Wake. I've been mostly a casual watcher/observer of the CWS over the years, but I can't imagine there's been a more epic series overall.

The whole CWS has been like that. Heck even most of the regionals/supers this year. It's been a year of insanely good games just one after the other. Loving it.

17k's in 8 innings. Unreal.

I just don't understand how this guy's high fastball works that it's literally above the player's eyes and they're swinging at it. Not just once or twice but over and over again, batter after batter, even after seeing him 3 times each.

Right after Florida tied it up at 3, an LSU player had an error while trying to turn a double play. Bases loaded and LSU put in a new pitcher who K'd the next batter. Next pitch was just a sky-high grand slam. LSU even loaded the bases soon after, but never scored again. Crazy.

So, does LSU start their stud, Skenes, on three days rest ...after he threw 120 pitches in each of his last two outings? Try to get an early edge and hold on?

:popcorn:

Is UF able to start whomever their ace is?
College doesn't have any rule restrictions on pitching so they can pitch whoever they want. Should they pitch is a different question. Although, I do not know who their ace is. I imagine it is the guy that threw game 1 since they had more time off between the bracket play and game 1 of the final series. If that's the case I doubt he pitches today as that would only be 1 day rest.

ETA: I assume Sproat (111 pitches on Saturday) and Waldrep (83 pitches yesterday) won't be available for Florida. It seem likely that Caglianone will get the start

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread