What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Men's College World Series (1 Viewer)

Online Sales are (relatively) thru the roof...will be 30% larger than the previous CWS sales record (UF '17).

ESPNU been playing classic CWS games.....last night watched 2018 game two, Beavs vs. hogs.....so satisfying watching the hogs think it's in the bag, Beavs down to last strike, and then the pop up happened.....never give a dangerous team a second chance.

While what Manster and JB point out isn't a huge deal, it is in the grand scheme of CBB.  Nobody would write it off if some school had a back door to get these kids at their school in football or basketball (and the numbers were such that it really mattered).  I'm like you and don't really care much about CBB but they really should eliminate the loophole.
Its a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.  I don't want to come across as whining, cause we just won and I couldn't be happier, but outside of just a few baseball fan bases I don't think people realize whats going on.  This seems like a good opportunity to open a few eyes to the issue.  

They totally have a backdoor to give kids a full ride and probably plus some money cause its a "need based" scholarship.  They can provide up to $70k in addition to the partial scholarship.  I can only imagine they can top it off a bit for for the studs they have to keep them from going in the draft.   In football and basketball there are no partial scholarships.  Its either a full ride or nothing.   85 in football and 12 in basketball are enough for every team.  Everything there is even.   There's really no advantage for a school like Vandy to provide more scholarships, though they could. 

In baseball there are no full scholarships.  Or they are extremely rare.  Vandy isn't cheating, its just an unfair advantage.  What needs to happen is the NCAA provide 25 baseball full scholarships to all baseball teams.  That would make college baseball so much better.  So many great prospects that get drafted out of HS have no way of funding even half their expenses in college.  

25 baseball scholarships would do wonders for the sport.  

How does it compare to say a men’s hoops champ?
'21 versions, this CWS is roughly 65% of the Baylor champ.  Historically a much smaller % though.

The hoops champ is then 10-20% the size of the CFP Champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.  I don't want to come across as whining, cause we just won and I couldn't be happier, but outside of just a few baseball fan bases I don't think people realize whats going on.  This seems like a good opportunity to open a few eyes to the issue.  

They totally have a backdoor to give kids a full ride and probably plus some money cause its a "need based" scholarship.  They can provide up to $70k in addition to the partial scholarship.  I can only imagine they can top it off a bit for for the studs they have to keep them from going in the draft.   In football and basketball there are no partial scholarships.  Its either a full ride or nothing.   85 in football and 12 in basketball are enough for every team.  Everything there is even.   There's really no advantage for a school like Vandy to provide more scholarships, though they could. 

In baseball there are no full scholarships.  Or they are extremely rare.  Vandy isn't cheating, its just an unfair advantage.  What needs to happen is the NCAA provide 25 baseball full scholarships to all baseball teams.  That would make college baseball so much better.  So many great prospects that get drafted out of HS have no way of funding even half their expenses in college.  

25 baseball scholarships would do wonders for the sport.  
So is this a private school thing?  So Stanford could be doing this as well?

I know baseball programs are typically in the red as it is so more schollies would be tough for schools with smaller budgets.

So is this a private school thing?  So Stanford could be doing this as well?

I know baseball programs are typically in the red as it is so more schollies would be tough for schools with smaller budgets.
Yup.  Stanford, Miami and Tulane have similar assistance according to this article.   Not sure the extent of the advantage they actually us though.  I would imagine some of the brass at a place like Stanford might frown on misusing these funds, just my opinion though. 

I know Vandy truly does put as many on a full ride that they can.  

'21 versions, this CWS is roughly 65% of the Baylor champ.  Historically a much smaller % though.

The hoops champ is then 10-20% the size of the CFP Champ.
I guess a small private school out-selling a giant SEC school by a third shows the disparities in the two sports. 

I guess a small private school out-selling a giant SEC school by a third shows the disparities in the two sports. 
I think they are close to the same size...but yea generally Miss St outsells Baylor by 50% in a year.  

'Hot Market' analysis is always interesting...a lot of unique event factors.

Watching the selection show. Michigan went on an improbable run to win the Big Ten Tournament and is headed to the Louisville regional.

We open v Oregon. Any Oregon fans here? 
I am but I haven't really followed the baseball team much.  I know they had a shot to host a regional but lost both their games in the Pac 12 tournament.  It will be tough for either Oregon or Michigan to get past Louisville but should be fun!

Looking forward to seeing the Hurricanes play this weekend. They are hosting the regional but somehow got slotted with the noon game on Friday vs. Canisius versus the evening game at 7p (Ole Miss vs. Arizona). Kind of sucks for local fans wanting to go see the first game.

Was also hoping to see the Evansville Purple Aces slip into the field but they #### the bed in the MVC tournament after having a very stellar regular season. DBU ended up getting into the field instead. 

Also hoping to see Kennesaw State surprise someone but it's going to be a tough first matchup vs. LSU.  Before moving to Miami 12 years ago, I lived right down the street from their campus and saw that school go from a pretty small commuter college to something that is starting to make a name for themselves.

Am going to be rooting for Michigan also after really enjoying their CWS run a couple years back. Have always been a Wolverines fan since growing up in Chicago and having to deal with ####ty U of I teams for such a long time. 

Super Regionals.  Winners go to Omaha.

Tennessee vs Nortre Dame
East Caroling vs Texas
Texas A&M vs Louisville
Va Tech vs Oklahoma
Stanford vs UConn
NC vs Arkansas
Southern Miss vs Ole Miss
Oregon St. vs Auburn

WDIK2 said:

Tennessee vs Nortre Dame
East Caroling vs Texas
Texas A&M vs Louisville
Va Tech vs Oklahoma
Stanford vs UConn
NC vs Arkansas
Oregon St. vs Auburn

Lot of cash flowing into Hattiesburg this weekend.

WDIK2 said:

Tennessee vs Nortre Dame
East Caroling vs Texas
Texas A&M vs Louisville
Va Tech vs Oklahoma
Stanford vs UConn
NC vs Arkansas
Oregon St. vs Auburn

Grrr...Michigan got screwed.

Anyone going to Omaha? I went a few years ago when Michigan was in it. It was a blast. Highly recommend it. I doubt Michigan will ever make it back, but if they do, I'll be there. 

Anyone going to Omaha? I went a few years ago when Michigan was in it. It was a blast. Highly recommend it. I doubt Michigan will ever make it back, but if they do, I'll be there. 
I work in Omaha and the company has tickets.  Should be able to make it to a couple games at least.

I haven't been since it has been in the new stadium (which isn't really new anymore).  I went in 2001, 2007, & 2009.  It was awesome.  I really want to go back but my son is a sophomore and his season/games have been a problem because I don't want to miss those (plus he really wants to go to Omaha as well).  

When I went (I live in California) we would go for the initial days so we could see everyone play twice.  We never stayed for the Championship because NCAA delays it to start that following Monday which makes it a lot more expensive to stay for almost two weeks to see it all.  I would also rather get to see more teams play so going on the front end always seemed like the better part of the tourney.  

Also, back in that time it was hard to get tickets (had to go through ticketmaster) as they sold out fast even though it always seemed like there plenty of empty seats at each game.  How is the process of securing tickets now?  Is it hard to get them?  What are the price ranges?  Coming from out of state I don't like the idea of not already having tickets in hand.  

Either way I can't wait to get back.  Maybe next year.

I haven't been since it has been in the new stadium (which isn't really new anymore).  I went in 2001, 2007, & 2009.  It was awesome.  I really want to go back but my son is a sophomore and his season/games have been a problem because I don't want to miss those (plus he really wants to go to Omaha as well).  

When I went (I live in California) we would go for the initial days so we could see everyone play twice.  We never stayed for the Championship because NCAA delays it to start that following Monday which makes it a lot more expensive to stay for almost two weeks to see it all.  I would also rather get to see more teams play so going on the front end always seemed like the better part of the tourney.  

Also, back in that time it was hard to get tickets (had to go through ticketmaster) as they sold out fast even though it always seemed like there plenty of empty seats at each game.  How is the process of securing tickets now?  Is it hard to get them?  What are the price ranges?  Coming from out of state I don't like the idea of not already having tickets in hand.  

Either way I can't wait to get back.  Maybe next year.

I definitely agree that the opening weekend is the best time to go. So many games. The town is full with fans from 8 teams. Its just a great time.

I actually left and came back for the Championship series. But I live in Texas. A lot easier flight for me.

ND is three outs away from eliminating Tennessee and going to the WS. Would be a huge upset. 

Tennessee has been the best team all season.

Huge win for the ND program.  Someone may want to let the guy on the ESPN postgame show that South Bend has a airport  5 min away from campus. They are certainly not driving 2 hours to fly to road games. 

With Tennessee's exit that makes three straight seasons when the number one overall seed has failed to reach Omaha and the top seed hasn't won the College World Series since Miami in 1999.

via twitter 

Danny Kanell

@dannykanell

·

2h

Congrats Tennessee baseball on a great season. So many memorable moments…flipping opponents off rounding the bases, coach getting tossed for chest bumping umpire, crying over balls and strikes, and of course soooo many pimped out bat flips…what a legacy. #DaddyGang

🤪

Danny Kanell

@dannykanell

·

2h

Congrats Tennessee baseball on a great season. So many memorable moments…flipping opponents off rounding the bases, coach getting tossed for chest bumping umpire, crying over balls and strikes, and of course soooo many pimped out bat flips…what a legacy. #DaddyGang

🤪

Kanell is a great troll.

Friday June 17th

1:00 PM
(5) Texas A&M
Oklahoma

6:00 PM
(9) Texas
Notre Dame

Saturday June 18th

1:00 PM
(2) Stanford
Arkansas

6:00 PM
Ole Miss
(14) Auburn

So far I have tickets to the late game Saturday and another for Tuesday next week.
Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and Ole Miss advance to the winners bracket.

Elimination game between Texas and Texas A&M Sunday.  :oldunsure:  

Was at the Ole Miss vs Auburn game.  It was toasty out there.  I was able to snag a table in the club level bar overlooking home plate, so we watched it from the AC.

Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Arkansas, and Ole Miss advance to the winners bracket.

Elimination game between Texas and Texas A&M Sunday.  :oldunsure:  

Was at the Ole Miss vs Auburn game.  It was toasty out there.  I was able to snag a table in the club level bar overlooking home plate, so we watched it from the AC.
Texas is the first team eliminated from the CWS.

Texas A&M stays alive and will face the loser of tonight's Oklahoma vs Notre Dame game.

I just witnessed the worst outfield play in the history of baseball tonight. Auburn's left fielder should never step on a field again.  Wearing sunglasses mind you, still no clue where the ball was EVERY time it was hit to him. Either lose the glasses or put someone else in. 

I just witnessed the worst outfield play in the history of baseball tonight. Auburn's left fielder should never step on a field again.  Wearing sunglasses mind you, still no clue where the ball was EVERY time it was hit to him. Either lose the glasses or put someone else in. 
Yeah, the sun is pretty tough in left field for the late games (faces straight west).  I knew as soon as the balls were hit that he had lost them.  One almost landed at his feet.

Don't think 4 hits was going to get it done for Auburn though.

Oklahoma punches their ticket to the championship series.  Stupid Sooners.  ;)  

If Ole Miss wins vs Arkansas tonight they will also be in.  If Arkansas wins they will play again tomorrow.

I could probably Google, but has the same school ever won men's baseball and women's softball the same year?

Not sure how this is real.  According to this, Razorback fans have spent $33,295.50 (7399 x $4.50) on jello shots at 1 bar in Omaha.  :lmao:  

ETA:  Ole Miss fans in second at $26,671 (5927 x $4.50).

Looks like the bar owners will be donating some of the proceeds to food banks at those 2 schools.  :thumbup:  

WDIK2 said:
Not sure how this is real.  According to this, Razorback fans have spent $33,295.50 (7399 x $4.50) on jello shots at 1 bar in Omaha.  :lmao:  

ETA:  Ole Miss fans in second at $26,671 (5927 x $4.50).

Looks like the bar owners will be donating some of the proceeds to food banks at those 2 schools.  :thumbup:  
I'd like to see LSU fans get involved with that.  Maybe next year.

Ole Miss beats Arkansas 2-0 and will face Oklahoma in a best of 3 series starting Saturday at 6:00 pm. 

Those bastards didn't even let us Miss State fans enjoy being champs for a full year!  

If we hadn't won it last year this would have gutted me.  Instead its just a swift punch in the nuts.  

I can put the rivalry aside and enjoy it.  Its pretty awesome for us as a state.  We've never had real success in any major sport.  I'd love to turn this into a Duke/UNC type situation.  Both schools seemed to have figured it out the last couple of years.  

Those bastards didn't even let us Miss State fans enjoy being champs for a full year!  

If we hadn't won it last year this would have gutted me.  Instead its just a swift punch in the nuts.  

I can put the rivalry aside and enjoy it.  Its pretty awesome for us as a state.  We've never had real success in any major sport.  I'd love to turn this into a Duke/UNC type situation.  Both schools seemed to have figured it out the last couple of years.  

I wonder how often in-state rivals have won back to back championships.  I know Auburn and Bama did it in football.

Just looked up basketball - UNC and Duke have done it twice and looks like OSU and Cincy did it in the early 60's.

Not very common though.

I wonder how often in-state rivals have won back to back championships.  I know Auburn and Bama did it in football.

Just looked up basketball - UNC and Duke have done it twice and looks like OSU and Cincy did it in the early 60's.

Not very common though.
If you got a straight answer from most of their fans a month ago...they were really hoping to miss the tournament and move on from their coach.  I get it too.  He's been there 22 seasons now.  1 Omaha appearance in 2014 and he was like 1-6 in Super Regionals.  

They've had some damn good teams the past 20 years and never really sniffed a championship.  

Users who are viewing this thread