What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NFL Coach of the Year - Vote Here, Vote Hard! (1 Viewer)

Your 2023 NFL Head Coach of the Year

• Dan Campbell - Lions +275

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • DeMeco Ryans - Texans +300

Votes: 43 31.2%
  • Shane Steichen - Colts +300

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Mike McDaniel - Dolphins +750

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Kyle Shanahan - 49ers +800

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Kevin Stefanski - Browns +1100

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters

General Malaise

Footballguy
Alright, just 3 regular season games left in the 2023 NFL Regular Season, so I'm curious who the FBGs think is deserving of Coach of the Year 2023. The poll will include 5 NFL Coaches with the best odds to win according to Bovada as of 12/20/23 as well as an option for "Other". If you vote "Other", please let us know who you think is deserving of the award this year.

Cast your vote, let us know why you voted the way you did.

Kevin Stefanski for the Browns should be on the poll and should win IMHO.
I am a conductor on this train. The job Stefanski has done with 4 different QB's and 12 players on IR including both starting tackles, QB and a pro bowl running back is nothing short of amazing.
He is keeping the team focused and motivated while playing backups at several positions.

Alright, I added Stefanski.
:thumbup:

Another vote for Ryans. That last game against Tennessee should honestly put this vote out of reach. I'm not a believer in Campbell. If you want to give the Detroit front office votes, I'm good with that, but some of Campbell's coaching game calls have been head-scratchingly bad.

Steichen would be my pick. How this team is in the playoff hunt with all the injuries they've had, in a rebuilding season.

If I told you before the season that Richardson played 3 games, Taylor played 7, Leonard was no longer on the roster, and the OL would constantly be banged up, who would have guessed the Colts would be tied for 1st place in week 16?

Some interesting late season matchups will determine the award IMHO. Unless voters simply decide to reward Campbell for making the playoffs, or Shanahan for lucking into Purdy as his QB.

HOU hosts the Browns, then TEN, and finally @ IND. So Ryans is taking on two of the other leading candidates and his chance to make his case, especially if he beats the Browns absent CJ Stroud.

CLE @HOU, v. NYJ, and @CIN. If Stefanski wins out he's a lock, IMHO. Especially with an aged retread like Flacco as his QB.

Indy @ATL, v. LV, v. HOU has the easiest upcoming slate but I have the least faith of these 3 coaches to win out.

My vote is going to Shane Steichen.

Preseason win total for the Colts: 6.5. Current wins on the season: 8
Preseason odds to win the Super Bowl: +15000 Current odds: +8000

- Lost his franchise, first round pick QB early in the season and has played the balance with Gardner Minshew.
- All-world RB Jonathan Taylor started the year on the PUP list. Missed 4 games to start, played sparingly in 7 others, has been out since Week 11.
- Leaned on his 3rd and 4th string RBs to secure a victory over Pittsburgh last week.
- Got instant production from late 3rd round rookie WR Josh Downs.

MCDC

In their 90 year history, the Lions have won 11 games three times. They have won 12 games once. They have never won 13 or more.

First time in playoffs since 2016, first division title in 30 years.

They’re fun to watch.

MCDC

In their 90 year history, the Lions have won 11 games three times. They have won 12 games once. They have never won 13 or more.

They’re fun to watch.

He is the odds on favorite for a reason and I really liked watching him on Hard Knocks and in interviews. He's refreshing and I would be very happy for him and the Lions if he won.

That said, he's had his starting QB all year long, has two stud RBs, a stud WR, a rookie TE who has taken the league by storm and plays in a division that's been pretty bad this year. He has that Ferrari humming, but he hasn't had to take it into the shop very much.

My vote is going to Shane Steichen.

Preseason win total for the Colts: 6.5. Current wins on the season: 8
Preseason odds to win the Super Bowl: +15000 Current odds: +8000

- Lost his franchise, first round pick QB early in the season and has played the balance with Gardner Minshew.
- All-world RB Jonathan Taylor started the year on the PUP list. Missed 4 games to start, played sparingly in 7 others, has been out since Week 11.
- Leaned on his 3rd and 4th string RBs to secure a victory over Pittsburgh last week.
- Got instant production from late 3rd round rookie WR Josh Downs.
Steichen would be my pick. How this team is in the playoff hunt with all the injuries they've had, in a rebuilding season.

If I told you before the season that Richardson played 3 games, Taylor played 7, Leonard was no longer on the roster, and the OL would constantly be banged up, who would have guessed the Colts would be tied for 1st place in week 16?
adding to the narrative how much worse the philly offense is without him. his impact is clear imo. he's got my vote. Ryans close second for me, amazing what he's done with that team this season.

MCDC

They’re fun to watch.

He is the odds on favorite for a reason and I really liked watching him on Hard Knocks and in interviews. He's refreshing and I would be very happy for him and the Lions if he won.

That said, he's had his starting QB all year long, has two stud RBs, a stud WR, a rookie TE who has taken the league by storm and plays in a division that's been pretty bad this year. He has that Ferrari humming, but he hasn't had to take it into the shop very much.

They’ve started 9 OL combinations. They lost their #1 CB to a season ending ACL after two plays, and the heart of the defense (CJ Gardner-Johnson) after week 2. Think they’ve had 7 (or 9? I lost track) season ending injuries.

Haven’t lost two in a row since Halloween since October 2022.

Just to clarify something said earlier, +275 isn't really an odds on favorite when the next couple guys are each +300. Odds on usually indicates a minus odds bet where you are risking more than you would win in return.

Bill Belichick......oh wait

He's going to look great in powder blue and sunshine gold.
The problem with Belichick is that he wanted to desperately prove he didn't need Tom Brady to be successful and it hasn't worked out for him. Having Herbert would be a start, but only prove he is nothing without a top of the line QB. Over my years of watching the NFL we've seen a few teams win the Super Bowl because of defense with a lousy QB. He hasn't proven to me he's one of those coaches.

MCDC

They’re fun to watch.

They’ve started 9 OL combinations. They lost their #1 CB to a season ending ACL after two plays, and the heart of the defense (CJ Gardner-Johnson) after week 2. Think they’ve had 7 (or 9? I lost track) season ending injuries.

Haven’t lost two in a row since Halloween since October 2022.

Yeah, those are good counter points, though I think winning with a back-up QB or a having to use 4 different QBs to win games are a much bigger obstacle than dealing with OL or CB injuries.

Also, the pre-season win total for Detroit was 9.5 (they have 10 now) so they are right where Vegas thought they should be.

The problem with Belichick is that he wanted to desperately prove he didn't need Tom Brady to be successful and it hasn't worked out for him. Having Herbert would be a start, but only prove he is nothing without a top of the line QB. Over my years of watching the NFL we've seen a few teams win the Super Bowl because of defense with a lousy QB. He hasn't proven to me he's one of those coaches.
He's also been an abject failure as a GM the last few years.

He's also been an abject failure as a GM the last few years.
That's being kind.

I'm no 9ers fan, but Kyle Shanahan essentially created the first QB-proof system in the modern NFL and his team is operating on a different level than the other 31. There's a tendency to give this award to the coach whose team exceeded expectations the most, but I'd rather just give it to the best coach of the season - and I think Shanahan is in a tier of his own right now.

I'm no 9ers fan, but Kyle Shanahan essentially created the first QB-proof system in the modern NFL and his team is operating on a different level than the other 31. There's a tendency to give this award to the coach whose team exceeded expectations the most, but I'd rather just give it to the best coach of the season - and I think Shanahan is in a tier of his own right now.

I don't disagree entirely, but I think he's also got the most talented roster in the NFL to surround his QB-proof system. His GM had surrounded him with elite players and makes terrific in-season trades.

I think I could win a game or two with that roster.*

*So long as I have all those assistant coaches. ;)

Wasn't QB proof for Trey Lance.

Stefanski and by a mile. He has held the Browns together with duct tape and twine. Great coaching as far as I'm concerned. Sure he'll never get coach of the year, but he deserves it.

Wasn't QB proof for Trey Lance.

This is a very fair criticism of Kyle.

Stefanski and by a mile. He has held the Browns together with duct tape and twine. Great coaching as far as I'm concerned. Sure he'll never get coach of the year, but he deserves it.

Their preseason win total was 9.5 so he has his team right where odds makers expected him to be. Watson injury sucks but Watson has not come anywhere close to his pre-scandal form in 2 seasons under Stefanski.

three way tie for me at the moment: Steichen, Stefanski and Ryans

next two weeks will determine the tie breaker

Those are the 3 that are worthy and I do think the next 3 games should have a big influence...right now I would give it to Ryans...they were almost an expansion team last year and they went into the year with a rookie QB.

Brows coach should win this.. Guy lost his star RB and has a QB just off the sofa and is winning games.
Does the free win against Indy count? That was a certain loss until the refs decided otherwise on the last 2 plays.

You can make that argument in good faith, but if you do I’d say that rules out Steichen from consideration since he’s benefited from questionable calls himself. One example, but not the only one was the unnecessary roughness penalty on the Pittman target in week nine against the Panthers.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/posts/c...-pittman-jr-xavier-woods-hit-nfl-01hegr99kgap

And for what it’s worth from someone who’s not a fan of other team, from the two calls in the Colts-Browns game you mentioned the illegal Contact was iffy and the flag probably should have stayed in the ref’s pocket, but the defensive pass interference was 100% correct.

Their preseason win total was 9.5 so he has his team right where odds makers expected him to be. Watson injury sucks but Watson has not come anywhere close to his pre-scandal form in 2 seasons under Stefanski.
Annd he will not. I see Watson as a mis-step not a mistake as they were swinging for the fences at that time. Stefanski cannot save Watson but he can save the Browns.

Annd he will not. I see Watson as a mis-step not a mistake as they were swinging for the fences at that time. Stefanski cannot save Watson but he can save the Browns.

His job is to get the most out of the QB who signed enormous, unprecedented money to play for Cleveland and he has largely failed in that task. He's done great with what he has, but he has failed to get the best out of Watson. It's year 2 now. Time is ticking.

Not going to win nor should he, but on record as saying this may be McVay’s best coaching job ever. Lost a ton of talent and most thought he was crazy to return to this team. But they have battled through a ton of adversity and are in the race when nobody thought they had a chance

I like McDaniel and Shanahan. Would rather give it to the coach of a great team than the coach of an averageish better-than-expected team. And SF and MIA are the two great teams who seem most dependent on their coaching, with great designs to both offenses and other good signs about how they do the rest of their jobs (like that McDaniel video).

HOU & IND both fall into that averageish better-than-expected category that I'm not as excited about. IMO Detroit is too close to that too, despite their 10-4 record, as seen in their not-that-great point differential (+51, vs. +147 for MIA) and their not-that-great Super Bowl odds (+2000 or so, vs. +850ish for MIA). Really just SF, BAL, DAL, and MIA who meet the bar of "great" and not underperforming.

McDaniel is the more exciting pick, with the innovations on offense, all the big plays, and some of the better-than-expected juice. I've been paying more attention to him than any other coach this season, basically all of it positive, so he was my gut choice first pick when I saw the question and the guy I cast my vote for.

Much of the "Purdy for MVP?" discourse is an argument for Shanahan as coach of the year, with all talk of guys schemed open and the ease of producing big numbers in that offense. And really it's a point in favor of Shanahan that people already had the Niners pegged as one of the top teams in the NFL back in the offseason before it was even clear who the team's quarterback would be. And then the team turned that huge question mark at the most important position on the field into an all-time great season at passing efficiency, so there's some better-than-expected juice here too along with the expected strong performance based on a years-long track record. After thinking through it to write this comment, I'd change my vote to Shanahan 1st and McDaniel 2nd.

I actually agree with both of these.
It just depends on how you view the award. Best coach probably is Shanahan (just like Mahomes really is the MVP every year).

But the award has now become "best upstart coach of a team that wasn't supposed to be good, but is".

I lean Steichen, but love Ryan and Stefanski. What he's done with Minshew is impressive, but also the short time with A-Rich. He was highly inexperienced and supposed to take time to develop, and Steichen had him ready and offensive plan to suit him on Day 1.

Not going to win nor should he, but on record as saying this may be McVay’s best coaching job ever. Lost a ton of talent and most thought he was crazy to return to this team. But they have battled through a ton of adversity and are in the race when nobody thought they had a chance
I agree with you and think if he wins tonight and points the Rams towards the playoffs, he'll be in consideration. As it stands, you can get him for +3000 at some places. Bovada doesn't even have him listed right now as a betting option.

I actually agree with both of these.
It just depends on how you view the award. Best coach probably is Shanahan (just like Mahomes really is the MVP every year).

But the award has now become "best upstart coach of a team that wasn't supposed to be good, but is".

I lean Steichen, but love Ryan and Stefanski. What he's done with Minshew is impressive, but also the short time with A-Rich. He was highly inexperienced and supposed to take time to develop, and Steichen had him ready and offensive plan to suit him on Day 1.

Not to pick on you, but it's always kind of been this way. Ray Rhodes, Dom Capers, Jim Haslett, **** Jauron, Mike Smith, Matt Nagy.....they all fit your criteria while winning the award and none of them are head coaches today.

Here's an attempt to estimate the value of offensive play callers. SF & MIA rank 1st & 3rd (with KC & DAL joining them in the top 4). DET, IND, and HOU are all averageish. More evidence for Shanahan & McDaniel over the rest, and Shanahan over McDaniel.

This Purdy/Shanahan stat from a week ago has also been going around: SF has averaged more yards per attempt & EPA per attempt on throws at or behind the line of scrimmage than any other team has averaged across all throws.

Here's an attempt to estimate the value of offensive play callers. SF & MIA rank 1st & 3rd (with KC & DAL joining them in the top 4). DET, IND, and HOU are all averageish. More evidence for Shanahan & McDaniel over the rest, and Shanahan over McDaniel.

This Purdy/Shanahan stat from a week ago has also been going around: SF has averaged more yards per attempt & EPA per attempt on throws at or behind the line of scrimmage than any other team has averaged across all throws.

Hold up - there are some MAJOR differences in overall roster composition here. Mia and SF have significantly more elite offensive players than Ind and Hou.

They also came into the year with lofty expectations and much higher preseason win totals. They are where they were predicted to be.

The winner of the SF/Baltimore game will determine who wins the MVP, imo. Shanahan has done a masterful job with Purdy (though he failed miserably with Lance) but he hasn't had to win games without him or CMC. That factors into this.

Users who are viewing this thread