What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NFL Coach of the Year - Vote Here, Vote Hard! (2 Viewers)

Your 2023 NFL Head Coach of the Year

• Dan Campbell - Lions +275

Votes: 34 24.6%
  • DeMeco Ryans - Texans +300

Votes: 43 31.2%
  • Shane Steichen - Colts +300

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Mike McDaniel - Dolphins +750

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Kyle Shanahan - 49ers +800

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Kevin Stefanski - Browns +1100

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters
Furthermore, when the 49ers DID have some injuries to their stars (Deebo, Williams) they went 0-3.

Shane Steichen has had to play with injuries almost all season.

Miami is 0-3 against teams with a winning record. That should eliminate Mike McDaniels from consideration, especially if they lose to Dallas.

I'm no 9ers fan, but Kyle Shanahan essentially created the first QB-proof system in the modern NFL and his team is operating on a different level than the other 31. There's a tendency to give this award to the coach whose team exceeded expectations the most, but I'd rather just give it to the best coach of the season - and I think Shanahan is in a tier of his own right now.

three way tie for me at the moment: Steichen, Stefanski and Ryans

next two weeks will determine the tie breaker

I actually agree with both of these.
It just depends on how you view the award. Best coach probably is Shanahan (just like Mahomes really is the MVP every year).

But the award has now become "best upstart coach of a team that wasn't supposed to be good, but is".

I lean Steichen, but love Ryan and Stefanski. What he's done with Minshew is impressive, but also the short time with A-Rich. He was highly inexperienced and supposed to take time to develop, and Steichen had him ready and offensive plan to suit him on Day 1.

Not to pick on you, but it's always kind of been this way. Ray Rhodes, Dom Capers, Jim Haslett, **** Jauron, Mike Smith, Matt Nagy.....they all fit your criteria while winning the award and none of them are head coaches today.

Sorry, Richard Jauron. :lmao:

Furthermore, when the 49ers DID have some injuries to their stars (Deebo, Williams) they went 0-3.

Yet San Fran is $36M under the salary cap this year. BY FAR the most under the cap. All but 3 teams are within $5M of the cap space. So please tell, how does Shanny have more talent to work with? He doesn't. It's because he can turn Brock frickin Purdy into an MVP candidate. Even made RG3 usable. Rescued Matt Ryan who did have talent from the hell coaching he had prior in ATL. Got 2x more from McCaffrey than CAR did. No other coach is gonna turn Brock Purdy into an MVP candidate. Certainly not Shane Steichen,

Big thumbs up to @General Malaise for posting this thread. Hopefully he will indulge me to plug my companion to his thread.

So if you get tired of this argument, please feel free to head over to my thread "Who was the *worst* NFL coach this year?" and vote and give your best argument for why the worst NFL coach this year was Brandon Staley. Or now that I think about it, Mike Tomlin. But who can forget how bad Frank Reich was.....

Dan Campbell feels strange to me as the favorite here. For me he's kind of sitting in a gray area in between the various ways people typically look at the award. If you think it should go to a coach whose team does the best I go Shanahan or Harbaugh or something. If you think it should go to a coach whose team most exceeded expectations you pick someone like Ryans or Steichen. The Lions have done well but they're not quite in the same tier as the best teams in the league imo, nor are they vastly outperforming expectations - last year was Campbell's coming out party, this year they were pretty big preseason favorites to win the NFC North iirc.

That being said if they run the table and end up the 2 seed at 13-3 or something, I could definitely see him winning it.

Miami is 0-3 against teams with a winning record. That should eliminate Mike McDaniels from consideration, especially if they lose to Dallas.
Yeah, he's a cross off if they lose to Dallas.
Him being on this list and McCarthy not being on it speaks to the nature of the award. No reason outside of age, and that McCarthy has already won a SB.

Although some have done it (Belichick, Reeves, Parcells), winning a Super Bowl basically disqualifies a coach from future COY consideration.

Yet San Fran is $36M under the salary cap this year. BY FAR the most under the cap. All but 3 teams are within $5M of the cap space. So please tell, how does Shanny have more talent to work with? He doesn't. It's because he can turn Brock frickin Purdy into an MVP candidate. Even made RG3 usable. Rescued Matt Ryan who did have talent from the hell coaching he had prior in ATL. Got 2x more from McCaffrey than CAR did. No other coach is gonna turn Brock Purdy into an MVP candidate. Certainly not Shane Steichen,
Shanny does, it’s just a Purdy contract away from swallowing up most of that $36 mil. It says a lot about the SF organization and their drafting. They far outperform their draft position, and that wins titles.

Although some have done it (Belichick, Reeves, Parcells), winning a Super Bowl basically disqualifies a coach from future COY consideration.
It's weird, isn't it?

Reid, Harbaugh, and Tomlin almost never come up in these yearly conversations about COY. Their teams just keep winning, though. It looks like McVay is trending the same way.

I do not like that two of the top CoY candidates are in our division. The other team has a QB that should be among the best in the next decade.

Remember The Titans!

Shanny does, it’s just a Purdy contract away from swallowing up most of that $36 mil. It says a lot about the SF organization and their drafting. They far outperform their draft position, and that wins titles.
I would argue Purdy on any other team isn't a top 20 quarterback.

Agreed about the Niners drafting but the funny part is they could not have whiffed harder on the Lance trade/pick...but if you close your eyes and pretend Purdy was actually the pick it was a great move...the Purdy pick was a franchise-altering pick.

People keep saying things like this, and you might be right for all anyone knows, but based on what? Just because he was Mr. Irrelevant in the draft two years ago? What has (or hasn't) he shown on the field that would indicate he'd be so much worse anywhere else? The 49ers are a great team with a great coach and Purdy definitely benefits from that, but at this point with the way he's played it's obvious he's not merely a "system QB" or whatever people think. He's processing the game as well as just about anyone. If it was Shanahan who turned Purdy into an MVP candidate, why couldn't he do the same for Lance or Garoppolo or Nick Mullens or CJ Beathard or whoever else has played QB in SF since he got there?

Last edited:

People keep saying things like this, and you might be right for all anyone knows, but based on what? Just because he was Mr. Irrelevant in the draft two years ago? What has (or hasn't) he shown on the field that would indicate he'd be so much worse anywhere else? The 49ers are a great team with a great coach and Purdy definitely benefits from that, but at this point with the way he's played it's obvious he's not merely a "system QB" or whatever people think. He's processing the game as well as just about anyone. If it was Shanahan who turned Purdy into an MVP candidate, why couldn't he do the same for Lance or Garoppolo or Nick Mullens or CJ Beathard or whoever else has played QB in SF since he got there?
I would argue Garrapolo was pretty good there. He is currently 2nd on the SF all time quarterback rating list and is #1 on their completion % list. Mullens and Bethard were complete trash so they aren't really in the conversation. They aren't even top 60 QBs in the NFL. That's like asking if a coach can turn a HS QB into a NFL All pro.

Trey Lance is a reasonable question. I'd say 1) injury and 2) he did not play early enough. He sat a whole year and it didn't work out well for him not to play football. Brock Purdy started 9 games his rookie year. That I guess is a coaching mistake w Lance and is on Shanny..

Conversely he turned Kirk Cousins into a $30M+ per year QB and made RG3 useful for a couple of years despite his complete inadequacies reading defenses.

I just think Shanny does a lot with QBs because he designs and calls good plays. And he runs the ball. So many coaches are pass happy. 49ers have the least # of passes in the NFL. That moves defenses to the LoS and opens up downfield passes. It's really good play calling that allows his QB to make the most of his abilities.

Do you need me to explain to you how this is possible and how it's about to change overnight for the 49ers?

I've never really cared much about it but looking into it a bit, it's kind of interesting how this award seems to have changed the last few years. From 2003-2019 it seems to essentially been given to the coach of the team that most exceeded preseason win total expectations. Literally there were only a handful of exceptions to the rule that the winner had the #1 biggest gap between actual wins and preseason win total odds, and those exceptions were 2nd (twice), 3rd, 4th and 5th.

But the last three winners were Stefanski (9th), Vrabel (4th) and Daboll (10th). Stefanski and Daboll both led their teams to big improvements of their teams' prior year actual win totals (but those improvements had already been somewhat baked into their odds coming into the year). Vrabel's Titans, on the other hand, had just been 11-5 the year before he won.

One thing for certain, every coach of the year winner over this period made the playoffs (unsurprisingly), so one of Ryans and Steichen could be crossed off the list if their team doesn't make it. Viewed through this lens I understand the case for Dan Campbell a lot more I guess. Yeah the Lions came into the year with relatively high expectations after their hot 2nd half of last season, but they missed the playoffs last year and so even though they're not a particularly surprising success story, they've probably improved enough for him to get the nod.

McVay also looks like strong value now if the Rams end up making the playoffs. A guy like Shanahan doesn't really stand a chance IMO, the team was already too good last year for him to win the award this year, somewhat ironically. McDaniel would still be in the convo if Miami ends up with the #1 seed, but any less than that probably doesn't stand out enough for him to get it over some of the other guys.

Hard for me to overlook the work of Stefanski. Four different starting qb’s this year—their stud running back suffering a horrific injury early in the season—and yet his team plays hard and competes week after week.

Just to clarify something said earlier, +275 isn't really an odds on favorite when the next couple guys are each +300. Odds on usually indicates a minus odds bet where you are risking more than you would win in return.

Yeah, this is a good clarification. IMO, this is a 3-horse race right now between Dan Campbell, Shane Steichen and DeMeco Ryans.
I will wait until the end of the season before I vote but it would be one of these 3.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Kevin O’Connell added to this list. The Vikings have been in every game this year, mostly without Kirk and JJ. If they make the playoffs, he is certainly in the top 3 for COY.

Just to clarify something said earlier, +275 isn't really an odds on favorite when the next couple guys are each +300. Odds on usually indicates a minus odds bet where you are risking more than you would win in return.

Yeah, this is a good clarification. IMO, this is a 3-horse race right now between Dan Campbell, Shane Steichen and DeMeco Ryans.
I will wait until the end of the season before I vote but it would be one of these 3.
The lowest odds is the odds in favorite. The term can be used in multiple ways, one denoting the person/team/horse that is most likely to win. It can ALSO mean that the person/team/horse has a better than 50% chance to win, which would mean negative odds in sports betting. However, you can have multiple people/teams/horses with negative odds. Both usages are correct. In this case, Purdy is the odds on favorite because he is most likely to win.

lowest odds is the odds in favorite. The term can be used in multiple ways, one denoting the person/team/horse that is most likely to win. It can ALSO mean that the person/team/horse has a better than 50% chance to win, which would mean negative odds in sports betting. However, you can have multiple people/teams/horses with negative odds. Both usages are correct. In this case, Purdy is the odds on favorite because he is most likely to win.
Since you mentioned horses I have to say that in decades at the racetrack, I never once heard a 7-5 favorite called "odds on". They were simply the favorite. And I believe that is true in sports betting also. Just because people like to say something doesn't make it true. 4-5 would be an accurate example of an odds on favorite.

lowest odds is the odds in favorite. The term can be used in multiple ways, one denoting the person/team/horse that is most likely to win. It can ALSO mean that the person/team/horse has a better than 50% chance to win, which would mean negative odds in sports betting. However, you can have multiple people/teams/horses with negative odds. Both usages are correct. In this case, Purdy is the odds on favorite because he is most likely to win.
Since you mentioned horses I have to say that in decades at the racetrack, I never once heard a 7-5 favorite called "odds on". They were simply the favorite. And I believe that is true in sports betting also. Just because people like to say something doesn't make it true. 4-5 would be an accurate example of an odds on favorite.
I don’t know what to tell you. Just because you have never heard something, does not mean it is not acceptable. First hit when I googled it…

NOUN
a person, team, horse, etc that is regarded as the most likely to win a competition

I don’t know what to tell you. Just because you have never heard something, does not mean it is not acceptable. First hit when I googled it…

NOUN
a person, team, horse, etc that is regarded as the most likely to win a competition

What you described is simply the favorite. Why even add on the "odds on" description if it was the same exact thing?

Like I said, just because some people keep using the word incorrectly doesn't mean it's ok because you keep hearing it that way.

Note the correct usage quoted in the first Merriam Webster example. The writer separates the fact that 5 overall favorites won vs. the 4 who were either even money (1-1 or +100) OR odds-on (minus money). At the track that would be shown as 4-5 or less.

Some of the other examples are incorrect usage by the writers who should have simply said "favorites" since they were not under even money.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind seeing Kevin O’Connell added to this list. The Vikings have been in every game this year, mostly without Kirk and JJ. If they make the playoffs, he is certainly in the top 3 for COY.
You’re probably right that he should be considered but when you lose 3 more games (at least / and counting) from last year, that seems unlikely.

NOUN

What you described is simply the favorite. Why even add on the "odds on" description if it was the same exact thing?

Like I said, just because some people keep using the word incorrectly doesn't mean it's ok because you keep hearing it that way.

Note the correct usage quoted in the first Merriam Webster example. The writer separates the fact that 5 overall favorites won vs. the 4 who were either even money (1-1 or +100) OR odds-on (minus money). At the track that would be shown as 4-5 or less.

Some of the other examples are incorrect usage by the writers who should have simply said "favorites" since they were not under even money.

Yep this is a personal pet peeve of mine. People add the "odds on" modifier to the word "favorite" as some kind of emphasis, without knowing what it actually means. It's like when people use the word "exponentially" to mean something like "a lot."

Ryans will win it if the Texans make the playoffs.

Steichen, Stefanski and Campbell are all worthy picks as well.

Shanahan would be a worthy pick as well, but they almost never give to a head coach of a team that was expected to be really good/great.

I don't see McDaniel as a contender for this award.

I went with the odds listed at the time this thread was started. He wasn't among the top 5 and IIRC wasn't listed as an option at all.

Kevin Stefanski for the Browns should be on the poll and should win IMHO.
I am a conductor on this train. The job Stefanski has done with 4 different QB's and 12 players on IR including both starting tackles, QB and a pro bowl running back is nothing short of amazing.
He is keeping the team focused and motivated while playing backups at several positions.

Alright, I added Stefanski.
:thumbup:
Add him again after yesterday. He's beaten SF and Baltimore, the top-two seeds in the league and 3 coach of the year candidates on the pole.
It's a runaway IMHO.

I am a conductor on this train. The job Stefanski has done with 4 different QB's and 12 players on IR including both starting tackles, QB and a pro bowl running back is nothing short of amazing.
He is keeping the team focused and motivated while playing backups at several positions.

Add him again after yesterday. He's beaten SF and Baltimore, the top-two seeds in the league and 3 coach of the year candidates on the pole.
It's a runaway IMHO.
I'm a fan of Dan Campbell but I cannot argue against Stefanski deserving it and also winning it.

Updated DraftKings odds:

Campbell +165
Stefanski +230
Shanahan +400
Steichen +650
Mike McDaniel +650
Ryans +750
Harbaugh +1600
McVay +1800

The rest are +2800 or more.

It's a runaway IMHO.
I'm a fan of Dan Campbell but I cannot argue against Stefanski deserving it and also winning it.

Updated DraftKings odds:

Campbell +165
Stefanski +230
Shanahan +400
Steichen +650
Mike McDaniel +650
Ryans +750
Harbaugh +1600
McVay +1800

LINK

Campbell is close to wrapping this up.
Stefanski is the closest competitor. SF has by far the most talented roster, so don't think it goes that way. Harbaugh is not getting much buzz. I doubt if one of these teams sliding in as one of the last wild card team is going to going to be enough to warrant the award. But I am bias, as Campbell where most my preseason money was on.

Dan Campbell called his shot

Love that they don’t run away from their history. In the clip I linked he has the veteran leaders read off what’s painted on the back wall of their main auditorium:
  • Last Division Title 1993
  • Last Playoff Win Jan 1992
  • Last Championship 1957
“This is a legacy season. We will never forget this season. Ever.”

- MCDC day one of training camp

Writing their own history.

It's a runaway IMHO.

Updated DraftKings odds:

Campbell +165
Stefanski +230
Shanahan +400
Steichen +650
Mike McDaniel +650
Ryans +750
Harbaugh +1600
McVay +1800

LINK

Missing the best RB in football.

Really? We're calling Chubb a better RB than CMC?

Kevin Stefanski, Browns: +150 (bet $10 to win $25 total)
Dan Campbell, Lions: +230 (bet $10 to win $33 total)
Shane Steichen, Colts: +650 (bet $10 to win $75 total)
Mike McDaniel, Dolphins: +750 (bet $10 to win $85 total)
DeMeco Ryans, Texans: +850 (bet $10 to win $95 total)
John Harbaugh, Ravens: +1200 (bet $10 to win $130 total)
Kyle Shanahan, 49ers: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Sean McVay, Rams: +1800 (bet $10 to win $190 total)
Todd Bowles, Buccaneers: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Sean Payton, Broncos: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Kevin O'Connell, Vikings: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Matt LeFleur, Packers: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Nick Sirianni, Eagles: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Doug Pederson, Jaguars: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)
Mike McCarthy, Cowboys: +10000 (bet $10 to win $1,010 total)

Lot of movement after todays' games, Draftkings has:

Stefanski -1,000
Shane Steichen/Demeco Ryans +1,100
Dan Campbell +1,500

And in the kick in the balls department, both Harbaugh and Shanahan won today and locked up 1 seeds, yet fell from +1,200 to +2,500 and +1,800 to +3,500 respectively. I was the first to say Stefanski should win a couple weeks ago , but that's downright ****ty for those 2 coaches who should be getting *some* consideration.

It's a runaway IMHO.

Updated DraftKings odds:

Campbell +165
Stefanski +230
Shanahan +400
Steichen +650
Mike McDaniel +650
Ryans +750
Harbaugh +1600
McVay +1800

Crazy that Matt LaFleur isn't in the mix. Especially with 9 rookies or 2nd yr starters on Offense.

I like Stefanski to win for sure. Tough schedule, huge wins in there and playing with backups in a lot of key positions all year

2nd for me is Ryans. That team was supposed to stink and both offense and defense are both super competitive. There has been no more amazing turnaround

Campbell shouldn't even be on the list. Cupcake schedule and they lost every meaningful game they had (which are few and far between)

Stefanski, Campbell and Ryans would all be great picks to me.

I agree that Shanahan and Harbaugh are probably being unfairly overlooked, but that usually happens when you already have a rep as a top coach and your team is good almost every year. You are expected to be good.

It's a runaway IMHO.

Updated DraftKings odds:

Campbell +165
Stefanski +230
Shanahan +400
Steichen +650
Mike McDaniel +650
Ryans +750
Harbaugh +1600
McVay +1800

Crazy that Matt LaFleur isn't in the mix. Especially with 9 rookies or 2nd yr starters on Offense.
And Stokes, Alexander,Watson, Aaron Jones etc have missed significant time. Should at least have been mentioned before now

Last edited:
Lot of movement after todays' games, Draftkings has:

Stefanski -1,000
Shane Steichen/Demeco Ryans +1,100
Dan Campbell +1,500

And in the kick in the balls department, both Harbaugh and Shanahan won today and locked up 1 seeds, yet fell from +1,200 to +2,500 and +1,800 to +3,500 respectively. I was the first to say Stefanski should win a couple weeks ago , but that's downright ****ty for those 2 coaches who should be getting *some* consideration.
Yeah there are some really deserving candidates this year.

Shanahan, Harbaugh, and Campbell all came into the season with teams with high expectations and met them. I like the ferrari analogy above where these guys were handed the keys to really fast cars and drove them beautifully.

But, this season seems like a rarity where there are some coaches crossing the finish line in an impressive time with a jalopy that's lost a few wheels. In other words, there are coaches of teams who exceeded pre-season expectations (Colts, Texans, and to a lesser extent Browns) and did so with some real adversity as all three of those teams lost their starters at some point. So, while nobody can fault a Harbaugh or a Shanahan, a guy like Stefanski going 11-5 with 4 starting QBs* and losing his best offensive player in week one or a guy like Ryans taking a team many thought would be in the bottom 3 with a rookie QB and no real studs anywhere to the playoffs are just eye-popping and therefore supersede the likes of the Harbaughs and Shanahans who have the double-edged sword of being given a great team with high expectations.

*As a Vikings fan also experiencing a 4 QB season, I'm really happy with O'Connell despite the sputtering towards the end that I can't really blame him for. But, his failure really just goes to show how good of a season Stefanski has had.

Users who are viewing this thread