What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forget Coach the Year - who was the **worst** NFL coach this year? (1 Viewer)

2023 Worst NFL Coach is:

• Josh McDaniels, LV (fired)

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • Frank Reich, CAR (fired)

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Brandon Staley, LAC (fired)

Votes: 54 50.0%
  • Matt Eberflus, CHI

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Bill Belichick, NE

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Mike Tomlin, PIT

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
Well usually COY is team that outperformed their expected win total for the year. So taking that into consideration, it is actually surprising how few teams will finish below their projected win totals.
Panthers and Chargers are the main obvious ones.

As much as I’d like to say McDaniels, he had less talent to work with than Staley. Not that the Raiders are untalented, but Staley had a top 5 QB, very good skill position players, two of the top defensive players at their position (although Derwin might not be that now), and a better than average OC.

Reich, BB, And Eberflus had FAR less talent to work with than the other guys.

Tomlin shouldn’t get a pass but he’s still at least an average HC. If he’s on here, Vrabel probably should be too.

Well usually COY is team that outperformed their expected win total for the year. So taking that into consideration, it is actually surprising how few teams will finish below their projected win totals.
True, but how many wins did you really expect from Carolina?
I know Vegas had them at 7.5 but that was ridiculously optimistic.

Josh by gosh.
Staley has been in this conversation the last few years.
Josh quit on his team if reports are accurate,at least Staley manned up and had his players support

McDaniels by far. LV looked like a joke before he was let go and now they look like they could beat anyone (if all goes well).

I voted other for one reason and one reason only:

Robert Saleh is my pick because he refused to budge off of Zach Wilson. He was too stubborn and despite a defense built for a Super Bowl, he squandered it by sticking with Wilson week after agonizing week. His GM is culpable too for not going out and signing a Joe Flacco type.....and Flacco played for the Jets last year. It's inexcusable and if I'm a Jets defensive star, I'm pissed.

Tomlin is the only one here who has no control of his locker room.

isn’t this basically just a George Pickens problem? Like they haven’t had success with headcase selfish WR’s before?

I think Tomlin is too old school for this modern NFL, yes, but is generally a good coach. This is more of an organizational thing but he’s just too loyal to his coordinators. Steelers fans should really be mad at him for how long he stuck with Canada. If Tomlin stays in PIT or goes elsewhere he really needs a young, innovative playcaller as an OC. Who will then get stolen to be a HC if they have any success—but that’s why teams should be hiring offensive HC’s and not Tomlins.

It’s McDangles for sure. Had the attitude of being the smartest man in the room when he probably wasn’t even the smartest object in the room.

Vegas had them at 4. You saw 7.5?!

4 makes a lot more sense. Might just be draft kings?

Before even making any Panthers predictions, their win total must be noted, which is set at 7.5 wins. That seems right on the mark, as our experts see them winning seven games this season.

:shrug:

4 makes a lot more sense. Might just be draft kings?

Before even making any Panthers predictions, their win total must be noted, which is set at 7.5 wins. That seems right on the mark, as our experts see them winning seven games this season.

:shrug:
damn, ya 7.5 seems insanely high. Mine shows 4.

I guess they finished strong last year and people thought Reich and Young would both be awesome, yet both turned out awful.

I voted McDaniels because not only did his team perform poorly on the field, he lost the locker room because of his toxic personality. Most coaches are at least competent at being leaders of men even if they aren't good enough to produce wins on the field. McDaniels failed at both.
This. Staley and Saleh are 2nd and 3rd, but the toxicity exuded by McD makes this a runaway.

he refused to budge off of Zach Wilson.
because the other dreck on that roster was so much better?
The Browns are going to make the playoffs with a great defense and a QB they plucked off the couch a month ago...Zach Wilson's backup last year. Is QB the Jets' biggest problem? Yes, but their coach is not part of the solution. Good coaching/culture should have done more...

The Browns are going to make the playoffs with a great defense and a QB they plucked off the couch a month ago...Zach Wilson's backup last year. Is QB the Jets' biggest problem? Yes, but their coach is not part of the solution. Good coaching/culture should have done more...
I'm guessing since they had Flacco last year they weren't overly interested in bringing him back. And maybe Saleh is not the one who makes that decision.

I see you read a fraction of what I wrote. Maybe read the rest?

Jets could have employed Flacco, you know....the guy who is saving the Browns' season AND PLAYED FOR NY JETS LAST YEAR.....but no, stubborn Saleh went to the podium game after inept game to say Zach Wilson gave them the best chance to win. Idiotic.

I'm guessing since they had Flacco last year they weren't overly interested in bringing him back. And maybe Saleh is not the one who makes that decision.

You're insinuating that the HC of a professional football team has no sway in the decision on who should play QB for them? C'mon.

Robert Saleh is my pick because he refused to budge off of Zach Wilson. He was too stubborn and despite a defense built for a Super Bowl, he squandered it by sticking with Wilson week after agonizing week. His GM is culpable too for not going out and signing a Joe Flacco type.....and Flacco played for the Jets last year. It's inexcusable and if I'm a Jets defensive star, I'm pissed.
As a Jet fan, I'm offended Saleh wasn't even listed.

Isn’t the story that the front office forced Wilson all the way and Saleh has had to face up to the criticism when Wilson was not even his Choice?

I see you read a fraction of what I wrote. Maybe read the rest?

Jets could have employed Flacco, you know....the guy who is saving the Browns' season AND PLAYED FOR NY JETS LAST YEAR.....but no, stubborn Saleh went to the podium game after inept game to say Zach Wilson gave them the best chance to win. Idiotic.
So much to say but I'll try to be brief.

I read your whole post. I don't disagree with the overall point that Saleh has done poorly, especially given the expectations to start the season. I do however disagree that sticking with Wilson is evidence of poor judgement. Wilson was their best option and iirc recently won offensive player of the week, so he does show flashes. As for Flacco, there were a bunch of QB needy teams yet none of them went running to knock on his door; saying he's saving their season is a bit much, they won with DTR and PJ as well, and his wins are against the bears and a spiraling jags team with an injured Trevor; and his QB rating last year was worse than Wilson, barely better this year, and he's thrown almost as many ints as he has tds, nearly 2/game. Flacco the statue behind that putrid Jets line wouldn't have been good (like last year).

I vote Staley but also vote to have all of the FF community to sign a 2nd place award to Arthur and make sure we send it to him by UPS, not FedEx to rub it in

I vote Staley but also vote to have all of the FF community to sign a 2nd place award to Arthur and make sure we send it to him by UPS, not FedEx to rub it in
I voted Staley too but Snith and McD were considered. The Raiders have not had a good coach in many years but McD was a train wreck pretty much out of the gate.

Were there more horrible coaches than usual this year? I see lots of good arguments for a handful of bad coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread