What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 NFL Coach Power Rankings (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
What's your top 10 NFL Coach Power Rankings?

And to be clear, top 10 going forward as of today. Not past accomplishments. Belichick's #1 in all those.

I'm talking about if we have a draft to pick head coaches for the franchise for the next 3 years (to not hurt the old guys too much), how do you rank them?

For me off the top of my head. All of these could be subject to change:

1. Andy Reid
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Mike Tomlin
  5. John Harbaugh
  6. Doug Pederson
  7. Mike McDaniel
  8. Bill Belichick
  9. Pete Carroll
  10. Sean Payton
  11. Dan Campbell
  12. Matt LaFleur
  13. Shane Steichen
  14. Nick Siriani
  15. DeMeco Ryans
  16. Mike McCarthy
  17. Zac Taylor
  18. Kevin O'Connell
  19. Mike Vrabel

I can't begin to evaluate the QBs at this level, and you're asking me to evaluate the coaches who have to implement the game plans and who themselves have to evaluate the QBs? And everything else, really?

Joe, that's a tough thing to ask. Thankfully, I'm up for it. This is as I see the coaches now. Not what they have done in the past.

1) Reid
2) McVay
3) Harbaugh
4) Carroll
5) Tomlin
6) Pederson
7) Belichick
8) Campbell
9) Shanahan
10) Siriani

That last pick might as well say Roseman/Siriani because Roseman is so far above and beyond the other GMs that he and Siriani are a top five management unit in the game, and maybe the best.

McDaniel #7 overall?
Can he win a Playoff game before we put him into the Elite-8? :lol:
-Good list, good topic, many times the SP is wrong on what we feel are good coaches vs what the owners want to hire.

1. Andy Reid, I'd be shocked if anyone said anyone else.
2. Sean McVay, is possibly willing a deeply flawed Rams team to a wildcard spot if Stafford can stay healthy.
3. Bill Belichick, hasn't lost much as a HC in my eyes, but is arguably as bad a GM as there is. Wonder if he'll take a job next year where he has less power?
4. John Harbaugh, has had some awful injury luck these past few years, but Ravens are always dangerous.
5. Kyle Shanahan, I think he might be the best playcaller in the NFL, but I don't know if he's quite the same motivator the guys above him are.
6. Mike Tomlin, I feel like he could get any team in the NFL to close to .500. His issue is sometimes elevating an already good team.
7. Nick Sirianni, I don't think he's getting enough credit for how much success the Eagles are having despite losing both his OC and DC from a year ago. At the same time, he also benefits from having arguably the best GM in the NFL, so 7 feels like a fair compromise.
8. Doug Pederson, has certainly turned around the Urban Meyer disaster. 14-4 in his last 18 games.
9. Sean McDermott, I think he's being a little underrated. The defense has had a bunch of major injuries this year, and the Bills have had historically bad luck. this year.
10. Mike Vrabel, team simply has no talent. He's an elevator of players in my eyes.

I need to see a little bit more from Dan Campbell and Mike McDaniel. Pete Carroll and Sean Payton were the toughest omissions.

Vrabel is in my top ten
I do have a gigantic dislike for him hiring friends that didn't do well at prior posts (OC right now) but I haven't forgotten that he won with the team having the most games missed due to injury in NFL history and got coach of the year.
It's nearly 90 and that's basically win with everyone on your camp roster which is just incredible teaching and coaching.
Last year it was about 86 and they were a bad ref call -arm going forward- away from making the playoffs.
Once is heckuva job, twice is you've got a great group teaching and adapting and speaks volumes for future success.
The new GM may want "his guy" or Vrabel will insist on keeping Kelly (curiously exactly like how Munchak and Mularkey got fired) and if so I'd expect Vrabel to be the top available coach this off-season.
Chris Harris was widely considered a special up n coming coach this past off-season and that he got him to come to TEN instead of the Ravens is still unbelievable. If you assume Harris called whomever asking opinions of stuff then that would simply infer quite positive views on Vrabel by whomever he asked.
Jim Schwartz is doing a great job in CLE and he went thru some health issues and being considered a failed coach and DC. He helped the Titans and got back on his feet and he's thriving.
Arthur Smith has his detractors but they're in first place.
Lafleur had moments in Green Bay.
Vrabel is very young and inexperienced to have a tree but yet he already does.

I'm not happy with the Titans now but ya know what I like? Seeing the head coach doing drills with the players being hands on. Who does that? Some believe judge a man by worst of times to see true character welp he's literally in the trenches.

In TEN we never attract free agents unless they're ancient and on a retirement tour. He does.

Finally, the Titans have had success against the Chiefs...granted it's regular season and not mattered but who else can say that.

Again if ya discard Tim Kelly- he checks every box ya can ask for from a coach. I don't at all think there are 22 better than him.

Shane Steichen and Zac Taylor have me in show me mode. There are Sunday I think I could win coaching their talent and/or by me standing there not saying a single word.

Daboli winning with Tommy Cutlets and a wealth of injuries is showing me something for sure

I get that he makes a lot of in-game decisions that are head scratchers, but I feel that Mike McCarthy is a bit underrated. He has won 62% of his regular season games as a head coach. Not sure what makes him any worse than Mike Tomlin. And McCarthy has a better playoff record and just as many Super Bowl wins.

I feel like putting anyone in the top 10 who has yet to win a single playoff game (McDaniel) seems a bit off.

And to be clear, top 10 going forward as of today. Not past accomplishments. Belichick's #1 in all those.

I'm talking about if we have a draft to pick head coaches for the franchise for the next 3 years (to not hurt the old guys too much), how do you rank them?

1. Andy Reid
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Mike Tomlin
  5. John Harbaugh
  6. Doug Pederson
  7. Mike McDaniel
  8. Bill Belichick
  9. Pete Carroll
  10. Sean Payton
  11. Dan Campbell
  12. Matt LaFleur
  13. Shane Steichen
  14. Nick Siriani
  15. DeMeco Ryans
  16. Mike McCarthy
  17. Zac Taylor
  18. Kevin O'Connell
  19. Mike Vrabel
Sorry third reply I just want to say I keep staring and trying but I can't really boot but maybe one from the top ten.
Ryans has been so impressive and (to use him for example) I want to rank him in a way that shows he has such a bright future but...can't knock the top ten

Shane Steichen and Zac Taylor have me in show me mode. There are Sunday I think I could win coaching their talent and/or by me standing there not saying a single word.

Daboli winning with Tommy Cutlets and a wealth of injuries is showing me something for sure
Zac Taylor has coached 25 games without Joe Burrow. He's won 4.

ETA: Had the game number wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
Andy Reid
John Harbaugh
Mike Vrabel
Sean McVay
Nick Siriani
Kyle Shanahan
Kevin Stefanski
Mike Tomlin
Pete Carroll
Doug Pederson
Mike McDaniel
Bill Belichik
Sean Payton
DeMeco Ryans
Dan Campbell
Matt LaFleur
Shane Steichen
Mike McCarthy
Zac Taylor

1. Andy Reid
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Mike Tomlin
  5. John Harbaugh
  6. Doug Pederson
  7. Mike McDaniel
  8. Bill Belichick
  9. Pete Carroll
  10. Sean Payton
  11. Dan Campbell
  12. Matt LaFleur
  13. Shane Steichen
  14. Nick Siriani
  15. DeMeco Ryans
  16. Mike McCarthy
  17. Zac Taylor
  18. Kevin O'Connell
  19. Mike Vrabel
Sorry third reply I just want to say I keep staring and trying but I can't really boot but maybe one from the top ten.
Ryans has been so impressive and (to use him for example) I want to rank him in a way that shows he has such a bright future but...can't knock the top ten

Agreed. I'm not tied strongly to any of the rankings except 1 and 2. It's a difficult exercise.

Reactions: Bri
3. Bill Belichick, hasn't lost much as a HC in my eyes, but is arguably as bad a GM as there is. Wonder if he'll take a job next year where he has less power?
There are light rumors of Belichek to Washingotn next year. Apparently some ties between him and some of the minority owners. i don't see it. Nor do I want the old guy. I want fresh ideas. Just spitting out the local rumors.

There are light rumors of Belichek to Washingotn next year. Apparently some ties between him and some of the minority owners. i don't see it. Nor do I want the old guy. I want fresh ideas. Just spitting out the local rumors.

There has been speculation here as well (the tie-in is actually Josh Harris and Jonathan Kraft are Harvard Business School buddies which supposedly would help facilitate the move)...would be a horrible move for Washington...I see his name above as a top 10 HC and he is nowhere near that anymore...I don't know how anyone can look at them the past two years and think he is still a high-end HC...he is not remotely close to the HC he once was (which is right at the top of the list with a few others for the best ever)...the team is unprepared and undisciplined, and he just gave a masterclass on how not to develop a young QB...even their special teams are a mess and that was once the hallmark of his teams and an area BB the GM has invested wasted resources...the Pats once excelled in situational football and right now they seem totally clueless in that area as they continue to find new ways to lose a game...his staff is comprised of his two sons and a bunch of yes men and that will never change...for a while it looked like BB the GM was letting BB the HC down but unfortunately BB the HC is very complicit in the disaster the Pats currently are.

Bill Belichick, hasn't lost much as a HC in my eyes, but is arguably as bad a GM as there is. Wonder if he'll take a job next year where he has less power?
Somehow he became the most polarizing coach. You’re probably right, his biggest issues are as the GM. but he’s shown virtually nothing this year or last to warrant top 10 status. Really since he lost Brady, which is always the question isn’t it? How many great head coaches lack a great QB? Right now, I think that’s Vrabel, tomlin, Steichen, Caroll, possibly Payton, Arthur smith, and Saleh. More than I’d have thought. But they don’t last long unless they’ve had a great QB or get one.

Tough question. If I tried to put together a top 10 ten times, I think my list would probably be different every single time (assuming I can't look back at what I did before). I do know one thing (and I realize I'm biased as a MIN homer).... I would take KOC over McCarthy 100 times out of 100. By a mile. The Cowboys win despite MM, not because of him, just like what happened when he was in GB. As for KOC, I can say that, for the first time in as long as I can remember (30+ years), I'm legitimately optimistic (borderline excited) about the HC of the Minnesota Vikings.

And, yeah, I realize he hasn't probably done enough to warrant a high ranking on a list like this from most fans. That said, if we're doing strictly what Joe said in the opening post (picking a HC to start a franchise, nothing to do with past accomplishments), I'd have a really tough time not putting O'Connell in my top 10.

Side note... I also think there's a big difference between who I think is the best coach right now, and who would I want to start a franchise with. Give me a random roster, and if I have to pick a coach to win a game in 3 weeks with that roster, Belichick and Carroll are both easily in my top 10. Starting a franchise, though? They would both be lucky to crack the top 15, frankly.

they don’t last long unless they’ve had a great QB or get one.
Joe Gibbs was one of the few exceptions to this, winning with 3 different non hall of fame QBs. But also extra credit to those who as GMs drafted the guy who won.
No no
I think Oz's points holds true for winning for years but for one year teams have done it with game managers.
Simms and Hostetler are not known as great QBs neither is Dilfer and did Shaun King make it? Rich Gannon was never great or even all that special until his Raiders run. Did Cowher win with ODonnel? Kerry Collins?

I think for extended success you need a top QB otherwise you must have a GM and scouting department capable of fielding a special team around an almost mistake free QB.

Gibbs is pre-free agency and different. He got to enjoy those Hogs and many on that D for a long time and I feel like those WRs played there a long time too.

Joe Gibbs was one of the few exceptions to this, winning with 3 different non hall of fame QBs. But also extra credit to those who as GMs drafted the guy who won.
No no
I think Oz's points holds true for winning for years but for one year teams have done it with game managers.
Simms and Hostetler are not known as great QBs neither is Dilfer and did Shaun King make it? Rich Gannon was never great or even all that special until his Raiders run. Did Cowher win with ODonnel? Kerry Collins?

I think for extended success you need a top QB otherwise you must have a GM and scouting department capable of fielding a special team around an almost mistake free QB.

Gibbs is pre-free agency and different. He got to enjoy those Hogs and many on that D for a long time and I feel like those WRs played there a long time too.
No No
I was literally responding to his point of "lasting years". You are the one who changed it to something else to make a separate point.

No no

No No
I was literally responding to his point of "lasting years". You are the one who changed it to something else to make a separate point.
Eh sorry I must've misunderstood

Starting a franchise, though? They would both be lucky to crack the top 15, frankly.
I really don’t like saying it but Ryans would be higher on my list to start a franchise. I really hope Vrabel and Ryans can develop a great rivalry. Both Probably just below some of the best offensive minded HCs. Daboll might be first among the guys not listed.

I am having a tough time getting Belichick into the top 10. Maybe his awful job as GM has clouded this but I haven't seen anything from this team the last 3 years that says to me I would want this guy coaching my team. He is certainly a great coach and defensive game planner but he also just fell into Tom Brady who is probably the most valuable player in NFL history. When great players came to NE, it wasn't to play for Coach Belichick, it was to play with Tom Brady

I am having a tough time getting Belichick into the top 10. Maybe his awful job as GM has clouded this but I haven't seen anything from this team the last 3 years that says to me I would want this guy coaching my team. He is certainly a great coach and defensive game planner but he also just fell into Tom Brady who is probably the most valuable player in NFL history. When great players came to NE, it wasn't to play for Coach Belichick, it was to play with Tom Brady

As the BB era winds down I just know I am going to get caught in this in-between hell of not holding back with how bad BB is now while defending just how good he was for 20 years (and I could not feel stronger about both)...will just say this without going too deep...TB12 is the best ever but he was not the greatest ever right from the get-go...those first 3 titles are as good of coaching as we have ever seen in the NFL...also, (and I have stated this 1,000 times) in the history of the NFL almost every great/very good HC had a great/very good QB and vice versa...IMO BB is not what he is without #12 but Brady probably does not become what he was without BB.

As the BB era winds down I just know I am going to get caught in this in-between hell of not holding back with how bad BB is now while defending just how good he was for 20 years (and I could not feel stronger about both)...will just say this without going too deep...TB12 is the best ever but he was not the greatest ever right from the get-go...those first 3 titles are as good of coaching as we have ever seen in the NFL...also, (and I have stated this 1,000 times) in the history of the NFL almost every great/very good HC had a great/very good QB and vice versa...IMO BB is not what he is without #12 but Brady probably does not become what he was without BB.
I am in no way saying BB wasn’t a great coach. Just saying, I think there’s room for argument whether he’s the best ever and whether we should give him so much credit that we still not rank him as top 10 going forward.

I am in no way saying BB wasn’t a great coach. Just saying, I think there’s room for argument whether he’s the best ever and whether we should give him so much credit that we still not rank him as top 10 going forward.

He doesn’t belong anywhere near today’s top 10…as for all time that will always be open for debate among a few worthy candidates but there is no doubt he is right in the thick of that conversation.

If the Little General still owned the team, odds are 1:2 that he’d hire the hoodie. Harris’ presser this week previewed a longer and mor patient process so as clear out the years of sewage that has accumulated throughout the organization

Joe, I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy... But you not having Stefanski in your top 19 is either an oversight, or plain poppycock.
It's not an oversight and we do do better here with discussion when we don't insult each other's opinions. I can see him in the 15-20 range.

Fully realize and appreciate others have different opinions.

Agreed on Daboll.

I'm not sure what you mean about Steichen. It seems to me he's doing a fantastic job.
In a league where 1/3rd of the offenses are completely broken, he's kept the Colts humming with a rookie QB that was supposed to take time to develop, and a journeyman back-up (far better than what most have as a back-up, but I think Steichen deserves some credit for that).

There has been speculation here as well (the tie-in is actually Josh Harris and Jonathan Kraft are Harvard Business School buddies which supposedly would help facilitate the move)...would be a horrible move for Washington...I see his name above as a top 10 HC and he is nowhere near that anymore...I don't know how anyone can look at them the past two years and think he is still a high-end HC...he is not remotely close to the HC he once was (which is right at the top of the list with a few others for the best ever)...the team is unprepared and undisciplined, and he just gave a masterclass on how not to develop a young QB...even their special teams are a mess and that was once the hallmark of his teams and an area BB the GM has invested wasted resources...the Pats once excelled in situational football and right now they seem totally clueless in that area as they continue to find new ways to lose a game...his staff is comprised of his two sons and a bunch of yes men and that will never change...for a while it looked like BB the GM was letting BB the HC down but unfortunately BB the HC is very complicit in the disaster the Pats currently are.
The talent he's had is nowhere near what he had in their dynasty days. I'm not... I just think there's blame to go around.
I think Belichick and even Arthur Smith fairy tales are fun here but they have the best OC in football, the NFL world crying about the Rooney rule, and ....it's right there.
I wouldn't be surprised if BNME is the coach

The talent he's had is nowhere near what he had in their dynasty days. I'm not... I just think there's blame to go around.
I think Belichick and even Arthur Smith fairy tales are fun here but they have the best OC in football, the NFL world crying about the Rooney rule, and ....it's right there.
I wouldn't be surprised if BNME is the coach
I've never heard anyone call Bienemy the best OC in football, and I would love to know why you think he is.

Kevin O'Connell is 19-10 and is 5-2 this year without last year Offensive Player of the Year...I think he is a severely underrated coach. Plus, the GM has acknowledged that they are in a "rebuild" during this time. I am very impressed with the job he has done. I think he is too low on your list.

Dan Campbell started his Detroit tenure 4-19-1 (.188)

They are 17-5 since then - first time in 61 years they have been 9-3

Pats were so bad this weekend, I'm wondering if BB is throwing games at this point.

I get that he makes a lot of in-game decisions that are head scratchers, but I feel that Mike McCarthy is a bit underrated. He has won 62% of his regular season games as a head coach. Not sure what makes him any worse than Mike Tomlin. And McCarthy has a better playoff record and just as many Super Bowl wins.

I feel like putting anyone in the top 10 who has yet to win a single playoff game (McDaniel) seems a bit off.
And on these lists McCarthy is always behind Sean Payton and I can’t ever figure out why.

1. Andy Reid
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Mike Tomlin
  5. John Harbaugh
  6. Doug Pederson
  7. Mike McDaniel
  8. Bill Belichick
  9. Pete Carroll
  10. Sean Payton
  11. Dan Campbell
  12. Matt LaFleur
  13. Shane Steichen
  14. Nick Siriani
  15. DeMeco Ryans
  16. Mike McCarthy
  17. Zac Taylor
  18. Kevin O'Connell
  19. Mike Vrabel
I"m trying to figure out how or why mike vrabel even sniffs to top 20 coaching list:
in 10 years as HC, he has a lousy 83-74 record, 52.87 2in percentage, 3-5 playoff record, 37.5 playoff win %. uh, that's pretty bad. anyone who even considers Vrabel a 'decent' coach, needs to re-examine their beliefs. this guy is a stooge of a HC, he's also a lousy talent evaluator as eveidence of the lack of play makers on both sides of the ball would indicate.
did he have a hand in sending AJ Brown to Philly? Didn't he then have a hand in drafting T. Burks who has done NOTHING as an NFL player in 2 seasons? Didn't he also draft the stud muffin to be, Kyle PHillips? Can anyone point me to a draft pick of his that has succeeded over the past decade? D Henry or was he before Vrabel? I thought w/l records meant something? this guy is a glorified Marv Lewis, .500& captain, with a badly listing ship and no big wins to show for it.

While we're at it, why does Kyle Shanahan get so much love? what has he done as a HC of OC to garner so much praise? he sports a 61-49 ( .555%) win/loss record. yawn.
6-3 postseason w/l record, and no significant wins except the lone NFC championship win of his career. in wins among NFL coaches throughout history, he ranks 83rd , tied with Rex Ryan, and one game above Jerry Glanville and **** Jauron. I mean, c'mon now. Y'all are whispering past the graveyard with the 'Niners are awesome' schtick , we've sen this movie a 100 times, SF will find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory under Shanny.

Vrabel has a terrible 'tree' of coaches who've come from his staff - LeFleur, Artie Smith. chow many playoff games have they won , combined? like 1 or 2? yawn.
At least shanahan's disciples have produced slightly more wins.
Neither coach, Vrabel or Shanny, is impressive. they're just ordinary people. Sorry Mary Tyler-Moore.

Working off your list, I give more cred for Super bowl wins or appearances. Reid gets the edge for me "right now" as he has been to multiple superbowls with different QBs. Vrabel to me is a top tier guy, if he only had an upper tier QB he would really be something. Shanahan is a great coach, but needs that Superbowl win to vault to for Top 3 for me.

1 Andy Reid
2 Bill Belichick
3 Sean McVay
4 John Harbaugh
5 Kyle Shanahan
6 Mike Tomlin
7 Sean Payton
8 Mike Vrabel
9 Pete Carroll
10 Doug Pederson
11 Mike McCarthy
12 Nick Siriani
13 Zac Taylor
14 Kevin O'Connell
15 Matt LaFleur
16 Dan Campbell
17 Mike McDaniel
18 Shane Steichen
19 DeMeco Ryans

Zac Taylor has coached 25 games without Joe Burrow. He's won 4.

ETA: Had the game number wrong.

I wouldn't say this is an entirely fair stat to pin on Taylor. Those 2019 and 2020 teams were pitiful. 2019 had no AJ Green and no real playmakers on offense. They ran out the likes of John Ross and Alex Erickson that year, obviously Burrow wasn't drafted yet. 2020 draft might be considered one of the better if not best drafts in Bengals history: Burrow, Higgins, Logan Wilson, Akeem Davis-Gaither, Markus Bailey all contributors 3 years later. The season didn't go as planned, but they built off that draft class and Burrow got injured in believe week 9 or 10 which led to Ryan Finley starting at QB woof. I do love when Finley beat the Steelers that season! Point is the Bengals had some pretty rough teams those first 2 years Taylor was the head coach and burrow only played 9-10 games of the possible 36 games those first two years to no fault of Zac Taylor. 2021 season = super bowl appearance.

Browning will help improve this record this year and everyone will see how good of a coach Taylor truly is (last 2 games were great coaching all around). Give me him over the likes of Siriani, Pederson, McCarthy, Carroll, Vrabel, and Payton any day of the week. Top 10 coach in the league.

Considering Kyle Shanahan didn't seem to have his players know there was a new OT and thus seemingly, was unprepared for this scenario, I'm curious if anyone has him falling in these power rankings.

Oh and also giving the ball to Purdy to win the game instead of feeding CMC on the ground like he should have been fed.

I always thought Kyle was a good play caller, bad game manager.

Kevin O'Connell is 19-10 and is 5-2 this year without last year Offensive Player of the Year...I think he is a severely underrated coach. Plus, the GM has acknowledged that they are in a "rebuild" during this time. I am very impressed with the job he has done. I think he is too low on your list.
Yep, as a Vikings fan I've been entirely pleased with his job so far.

Joe, I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy... But you not having Stefanski in your top 19 is either an oversight, or plain poppycock.
It's not an oversight and we do do better here with discussion when we don't insult each other's opinions. I can see him in the 15-20 range.

2x winner of coach of the year... Any movement on the 15-20 range?

I'm just trying to understand the thinking, Joe. That's all.

1) Andy Reid
2) Sean McVay
3) Zach Taylor
4) Kyle Shanahan
5) Kevin Stefnaski
6) Matt LeFleur
7) John Harbaugh
8) Jim Harbaugh
9) Dan Campbell
10) Mike Tomlin

Just missing the cut: Kevin O'Connell, Todd Bowles and Shane Steichen.
Need another year from: DeMeco Ryans, but he's trending WAY up for me.
Left off on purpose: Nick Sirianni - that was a horrible collapse. There's real trouble there, I think. Sean McDermott - Not being able to get over the hump with Josh Allen? Why? I know Mahomes is a giant mountain to overcome, but boy, McDemermott.....your clock is running out of sand granules.

Not anywhere close: Mike McCarthy.

2x winner of coach of the year... Any movement on the 15-20 range?

I'm just trying to understand the thinking, Joe. That's all.

Sure. Lots has changed there since December 3. But when a poster describes the opinions they disagree with as "either an oversight, or plain poppycock." that's usually not something I spend any time engaging with.

Users who are viewing this thread