What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 NFL Coach Power Rankings (2 Viewers)

Joe, I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy... But you not having Stefanski in your top 19 is either an oversight, or plain poppycock.
It's not an oversight and we do do better here with discussion when we don't insult each other's opinions. I can see him in the 15-20 range.

Fully realize and appreciate others have different opinions.

2x winner of coach of the year... Any movement on the 15-20 range?

I'm just trying to understand the thinking, Joe. That's all.

Sure. Lots has changed there since December 3. But when a poster describes the opinions they disagree with as "either an oversight, or plain poppycock." that's usually not something I spend any time engaging with.

The oversight was an honest opinion... I legitimately thought it was an oversight.
As for "plain poppycock", I assume you (or anyone) would take that with a sense of humor... When's the last time you heard "poppycock", Joe? It's playful.

So, anyways... Where's Stefanski now for you?

NFL head coach grades, via NFLPA survey:

A+: Andy Reid, Dan Campbell, Kevin O'Connell.

A: Sean McDermott, Zac Taylor, Mike McCarthy, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Nick Sirianni, Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll.

A-: Jonathan Gannon, Sean Payton, Brian Daboll, Doug Pederson, Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, DeMeco Ryans

B+: John Harbaugh, Matt LaFleur, Mike Vrabel

B: Matt Eberflus, Brandon Staley, Robert Saleh

B-: Kevin Stefanski, Bill Belichick, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles

C+: Arthur Smith

C: Ron Rivera

D: Josh McDaniels

A: Sean McDermott, Zac Taylor, Mike McCarthy, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Nick Sirianni, Mike Tomlin, Kyle Shanahan, Pete Carroll.

A-: Jonathan Gannon, Sean Payton, Brian Daboll, Doug Pederson, Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, DeMeco Ryans

Brandon Staley getting a B makes me question the validity of this.

Brandon Staley getting a B makes me question the validity of this

Chargers players ranked him 23rd, bottom 10.

Other categories for LAC:
  • Locker Room - F 27th
  • Treatment of Families - F 27th
  • Food/Cafeteria - F 31st
  • Team Travel - D- 29th
  • Weight Room - D+ 29th
  • Training Room - D+ 30th
  • Ownership - C+ 24th
  • Training Staff - C+ 26th
  • Strength Coaches - C+ 28th
  • Overall - 30th
He was below average. There are plenty of issues to chose from with that franchise.

Bumping this?
I think the Titans new staff is sorta scary young or somesuch.
A lot of positive thoughts on many of their staff but also young and inexperienced.
Could be great, could fizzle, a lot of curiosity about them

I would slide Harbaugh right into the Top 10
He's already proven himself once as a HC, taking SF to the Super Bowl,
National Title now under his arm and multiple trips to the College Playoffs

1. Andy Reid
2. Sean McVay, he just needs the horses and the Rams went into cap hell after 2 trips to the SB and. Lombardi Trophy
3. Kyle Shanahan, just missing the ring
4. John Harbaugh, consistent and one of the longest tenures...got Brady suspended 4 games once over inflategate
5. Dan Campbell, learn how to kick a FG when necessary, I could see him rise up even further on my list, I have the upmost respect for him and what he's done for the Detroit
6. Jim Harbaugh, I told you he's an instant Top 10 head coach and his pedigree is a lot more polished than some of these names coming after.
7. Kevin O'Connell, went 13-4 his 1st year and then last year had injuries galore at most of his skill positions. A rookie QB's dream to get paired with K.O'C
8. Sean McDermott, say what you want but he's gotten the Bills into Top 3-4 status in the AFC, that's hard to do.
9. DeMeco Ryans, figured out what he had in CJ Stroud quickly and ran with it.
10. Mike McCarthy, McC has gone 12-5 for 3 straight years in Dallas, that's hard to do.

1. Andy Reid
2. Sean McVay, he just needs the horses and the Rams went into cap hell after 2 trips to the SB and. Lombardi Trophy
4. John Harbaugh, consistent and one of the longest tenures...got Brady suspended 4 games once over inflategate
5. Dan Campbell, learn how to kick a FG when necessary, I could see him rise up even further on my list, I have the upmost respect for him and what he's done for the Detroit
6. Jim Harbaugh, I told you he's an instant Top 10 head coach and his pedigree is a lot more polished than some of these names coming after.
7. Kevin O'Connell, went 13-4 his 1st year and then last year had injuries galore at most of his skill positions. A rookie QB's dream to get paired with K.O'C
8. Sean McDermott, say what you want but he's gotten the Bills into Top 3-4 status in the AFC, that's hard to do.
10. Mike McCarthy, McC has gone 12-5 for 3 straight years in Dallas, that's hard to do.
Nick Sirianni as a personality seems to definitely overshadow Nick Sirianni as a Head Coach with regards to these rankings.

I would put Frank Reich in the Josh McDaniels territory.

1. Andy Reid
Nick Sirianni as a personality seems to definitely overshadow Nick Sirianni as a Head Coach with regards to these rankings.
I thought about him, Mike McDaniel, several others but I just wanted to list 10.
The fans seem to not like Sirianni that root for the Eagles, that doesn't seem to help

Last edited:
1. Andy Reid
Way too high on McDermott imo.
He owes His job entirely to Allen.

I believe the grading scale used by the players was heavily determined by how long they were forced to practice and if they felt the coach listened to them. I can see Staley doing well in this context.

1. Andy Reid
I thought about him, Mike McDaniel, several others but I just anted to list 10.
The fans seem to not like Sirianni that root for the Eagles, that doesn't seem to help
Got it.

My only knock would be

Kevin Oconnell listed as 7 and the fact he was 13-4 last year. Where Nick Sirianni was 14-3, destroyed his team in the playoffs. Has a 100% 3 out of 3 season "making the playoffs" and also dealt with his share of injuries this year with his team, yet still made the playoffs.

All good though.

I believe the grading scale used by the players was heavily determined by how long they were forced to practice and if they felt the coach listened to them. I can see Staley doing well in this context.

This article says “Head coaches were graded on how efficient they were with the players’ time and how willing they were to listen to the locker room.”

Plumbing problems, travel trouble and daycare drama: Key takeaways from NFLPA team report cards

1) Andy Reid
2) Sean McVay
3) Zach Taylor
4) Kyle Shanahan
5) Kevin Stefnaski
6) Matt LeFleur
7) John Harbaugh
8) Jim Harbaugh
9) Dan Campbell
10) Mike Tomlin

Just missing the cut: Kevin O'Connell, Todd Bowles and Shane Steichen.
Need another year from: DeMeco Ryans, but he's trending WAY up for me.
Left off on purpose: Nick Sirianni - that was a horrible collapse. There's real trouble there, I think. Sean McDermott - Not being able to get over the hump with Josh Allen? Why? I know Mahomes is a giant mountain to overcome, but boy, McDemermott.....your clock is running out of sand granules.

Not anywhere close: Mike McCarthy.

Out of those listed I think this is the most accurate.

My only changes would to replace Campbell for that freak show in Miami.

I too am overly impressed with DeMeco Ryan.

Users who are viewing this thread