What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Every year NFL teams have a year end meeting where some staff (team pres, owner, whoever) sits down and discusses what went right and what went wrong.
Pointing fingers is expected but then the GM (and assistant GM or pres of player personnel) and coach (or coaches depending who is present) are supposed to come to a common ground in order to move forward.
Theoretically, the GM and his staff starts to enact this plan and the coach n players head home for their time off.
If there's an unresolvable issue during this meeting, then changes happen.

Thirty years ago (holy cow I'm old);
Mike Francesca used to talk of this often on the radio.
Ernie Accorsi once spent three days schooling some of us on the THEN GM life.
Nothing has happened in the thirty years since to make me think this has changed. I firmly believe it is still what teams do.

One of the things I didn't expect was Ernie talking about how he came to meetings with a binder full of papers and a presentation ready. Coughlin felt ill prepared and he would then bring his own material to these meetings. I don't know of any others

Soooo-
There have been lots of reports of this could happen Monday or that could happen Monday and (now that you know the above) they are the least surprising news reports ever but people seem to eat them up.

I don't know all teams in detail. My name isn't Ian or Breer or Adam. I do think some of you can guess on your team's coach and GM during this meeting.

I hope this helps for some understanding

Said meeting was what led Doug Petersen to get fired from the Eagles. I don’t believe that was the plan going into it, but when he refused to make staff changes requested by the owner and GM, he was fired.

A similar situation could be happening this year. The Eagles have talent on offense and the DL but the coaching has been subpar. I would not be surprised if Lurie/Roseman request staff changes again. In this case I think Sirianni will comply because he’s only had these coordinators for 1 year and is not likely to put his job on the line for them.

Reactions: Bri
Have to think a meeting is penciled in for tomorrow if the Bills lose tonight and miss the playoffs.

I’m sure half the fantasy world wants to be a fly on the wall tomorrow in a meeting between Blank and Arthur Smith if the Falcons lose

There are enough reports that Kraft has
I’m sure half the fantasy world wants to be a fly on the wall tomorrow in a meeting between Blank and Arthur Smith if the Falcons lose
They talked yesterday. I have no idea of anything though.

That team is built to win now or soon. The line was awful yet stacked well. They've gotta find a few bad apples but the team is well built.
I don't see them firing him unless hiring within. I also don't see them drafting a top QB to start right away and lose while he learns.

Blank is in a tough spot of being patient for the rebuild after aging veteran years just before.

It's tough to gauge but he's said and everyone on staff has said they're pleased with the roster at some point

It is being reported locally that BB and the Krafts are meeting tomorrow morning.
Jon Robinson seems very much in the Pats plans. No idea how or what. One Pats reporter suggested he could simply be part of a committee to replace BB or the GM BB or...it could be organizational not team related since he was Titans VP. There's smoke since October that Schefter reported interest yesterday even though there's nothing tangible

It is being reported locally that BB and the Krafts are meeting tomorrow morning.
Jon Robinson seems very much in the Pats plans. No idea how or what. One Pats reporter suggested he could simply be part of a committee to replace BB or the GM BB or...it could be organizational not team related since he was Titans VP. There's smoke since October that Schefter reported interest yesterday even though there's nothing tangible

I don't think you can say "very much"...his name gets thrown around (as well as Ziegler and Wolf) as someone that has worked with BB in the past (i.e. has a relationship with him) who could be in the GM mix if BB were to stay on as HC if he agreed to relinquish GM duties...Vrabel's name gets thrown around far more around here than Robinson with many believing he is who the Krafts really want to replace BB with.

There are enough reports that Kraft has
They talked yesterday. I have no idea of anything though.

That team is built to win now or soon. The line was awful yet stacked well. They've gotta find a few bad apples but the team is well built.
I don't see them firing him unless hiring within. I also don't see them drafting a top QB to start right away and lose while he learns.

Blank is in a tough spot of being patient for the rebuild after aging veteran years just before.

It's tough to gauge but he's said and everyone on staff has said they're pleased with the roster at some point
I’ve mentioned in another thread that I think Kirk Cousins would be a great signing for them to unleash their offensive weapons.

Mike Vrabel is not scheduled to meet with the media tomorrow.
My guess, the meeting is expected to be intense so they told him he can chat Tuesday or it is simply that he's fired.
I do not think he's fired unless he refuses to fire OC Tim Kelly- the same way Munchak and Mularkey lost their jobs.
Even if he agreed, a "fire your best friend" meeting would surely leave anyone not wanting to talk to the press.

Arthur Smith has been fired.
GM staying with he and Rich McKay leading the search.
Still think they hire within so as to not breakup that team but someone that can run use them as is would of course work.

Titans fans will want Smith back asap especially with Kelly expected to be fired and to entice Henry to stay

Last edited:
Belichick said he'd give up the GM job and sounded very open to anything the way all the Pats reporters are tweeting his usual early morning presser

I'm sure Arthur will land quickly as a coordinator somewhere, but undoubtedly he'll have two open offers at either Federal Express or Home Depot.
His dad was a Commanders (part) owner til this recent sale.
He's never taken a job with his dad. He's earned his way himself. Tells a good story of applying to be Gibbs' gopher and refusing desk jobs offered.
He grew up an OL, played in college, didn't make it in NFL. Imagining rich daddy probably wanting him to be QB or RB in peewee but him wanting to be a lineman is about how he's been his whole life. He's really not a handed opportunities guy

"Bob Myers — architect of four NBA championship teams — will take a leading role in identifying and coordinating interviews with candidates for both the Commanders top football operations and head coaching jobs – with Rick Spielman working closely with him, sources said."
I loved hearing Magic Johnson was very well received and Myers being involved shows they want more of that. Sports is sports and winning ways transcend all sports. There's probably 100 football people in the building, no shortage of that.
Also, no one knew how the Redskins/Commanders would bring a level of respect after all that happened. Welp, those two are a nice quick answer to that

Thank God. What a disaster as a coach and I'm not even a Falcons fan. That smug, arrogant doofus completely misused and under-used the all-star talent on that team.

Out of all the coaches on the hot seat, this was the one I was waiting for - and it didn't take long. Good for you Falcons homers - your nightmare is now hopefully over.

Panthers supposedly firing GM Fitterer.
He did oversee one of the worst trade ups in NFL history, but you have to wonder how much Tepper forced his hand into that trade.
You have no idea on this.
Countless well known QBs didn't perform well as rookies and went on to great careers. Draft folks were picking favorites between the two and by all accounts the Panthers loved em too.

Last summer and a few weeks ago, Blank said he was very much in agreement on Mariota, Ridder, and Heinicke and it wasn't at all in the decision making.

Both franchises were supposed to have top OLs and they were awful. Surely there's more but offensive lines have a way of reminding us they're everything when they stink

Thank God. What a disaster as a coach and I'm not even a Falcons fan. That smug, arrogant doofus completely misused and under-used the all-star talent on that team.

Out of all the coaches on the hot seat, this was the one I was waiting for - and it didn't take long. Good for you Falcons homers - your nightmare is now hopefully over.
I've been saying for years this isn't true.
I'd have given Bijan more opportunities yes but Algeier hammering away to loosen up a D is a fine tactic used by tons of coaches. Patterson getting a carry at the one caused people to bark why not Bijan yesterday and...well Patterson is a big boy that's hard to stop from the one. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a rookie learning from vets.
Bijan set the Falcons record for touches by a rookie and things have been sorely exaggerated since his sick game. Falcons have had some darn good backs and it's a weird pedestal to stand at saying he should have even more than- more than them. I saw it. I said above I'd have given him more but this wasn't at all outrageous.
London is the same as every other WR struggling to beat some top CBs as he matures.
These twos numbers are fine as is.

Everyone is still crying of Pitts and refusing to admit he's a lot like OJ Howard. Arthur brought veterans in to show him the way, added a TE assistant coach too. As I've been saying for a couple years, the head is not there. He's gifted take it easy on me type guy. Read on Jonnu showing him the way in camp going to the coaches and then Cordarelle joined them (at TE!) to lead the young buck. This is after Parker Hesse (a super highly regarded great guy- former QB and DL turned TE) spending hours with Pitts and about four veterans the prior two years. Everyone is all Arthur Arthur Arthur like they're Doug Heffernan but what didn't he do to help this kid grow? He won't attend TE U yet most name TEs do. He still rarely ever boxes out or uses that big bod and that's so elementary for a TE. Some of his blocks before routes ya gotta look at the replay to even see if he touches the guy.
I'd bet $ if I could that Pitts is traded shortly after a new coach comes on board. There's no way a new guy wants to deal with that.

ETA- Darren Waller just interviewed saying the year wasn't as expected and he's open to changing workouts and routines to get better. That! That's what Pitts doesn't understand

Last edited:
A lot of people are losing their jobs and families are getting bad news. I know it's the business but remember lives change because of these decisions and not just the person being let go.

A lot of people are losing their jobs and families are getting bad news. I know it's the business but remember lives change because of these decisions and not just the person being let go.
Not usually relevant here as they'll get paid millions remaining in their contract to stay at home and it's a rite of passage in fandom to bark at a guy that didn't win with "your" team. This usually sinks in a week or so from today.

You're not wrong and it would surely be proper behavior and all. It's like telling people to not be impatient as food is going to other people's tables at a restaurant though

ETA- Darren Waller just interviewed saying the year wasn't as expected and he's open to changing workouts and routines to get better. That! That's what Pitts doesn't understand
Maybe Pitts will understand that when he's 31 years old, and trying to save his job, when he's clearly a cap casualty candidate, like Waller is. :lol:

Waller will say anything he thinks might save that 10 mill salary next year--that he's not getting from anyone else.

Not usually relevant here as they'll get paid millions remaining in their contract to stay at home and it's a rite of passage in fandom to bark at a guy that didn't win with "your" team. This usually sinks in a week or so from today.
OSU does bring up a good point - while top coordinators are probably fine financially, eventually they'll probably move and that uproots families. Also, many lesser paid staff often become collateral damage when HC or coordinators are let go.

You're not wrong and it would surely be proper behavior and all. It's like telling people to not be impatient as food is going to other people's tables at a restaurant though
There is lower-level staff that also end up being moved about. I guess I feel more for them. It's the life they choose I get that but also sometimes it is not.

I get what you are saying and it makes sense. Just some staffers are not making more money than we do. And still deal with Black Monday.

Washington fires Rivera
I gotta say - he at least did an admirable job in an impossible situation. I know he's not as good as he once was, but he at least added some stability there through the rockiest of times.

I hope the guy has good health the rest of his days and can just relax and enjoy retirement, if that's what he chooses.

Commanders owner expects the staff hired to select a head coach to be involved in the hiring of his staff too. (Radio)
This will turn some away that like to pick their staff.
My opinion- if you can't convince Magic and Bob you're a good positional coach then ya probably shouldn't be. Their views have gotta be so vague that I can't imagine this is a big negative for prospective hires.

Washington fires Rivera
I gotta say - he at least did an admirable job in an impossible situation. I know he's not as good as he once was, but he at least added some stability there through the rockiest of times.

I hope the guy has good health the rest of his days and can just relax and enjoy retirement, if that's what he chooses.
Make river boat Ron a commentator. He’d be better than many.

Matthew Slater said he'd like to coach after his career is over during last off-season.
He said he hasn't changed from what he said last summer.
Little cryptic but there's soooo many old timey ST coaches in the league, I could imagine him stepping right in if he's got the leadership qualities.

Matthew Slater said he'd like to coach after his career is over during last off-season.
He said he hasn't changed from what he said last summer.
Little cryptic but there's soooo many old timey ST coaches in the league, I could imagine him stepping right in if he's got the leadership qualities.
Many ST players would benefit from his experience. I have no clue if he’d be a good coach but it seems like he’s smart enough and a hard worker.

Ditto!

Bijan is super impressive considering how poorly he was used. RB9 in PPR formats. He should pretty easily move into the top 5 with a competent head coach.

London is also pretty impressive given the usage/QB situation--he had 69, 905 and 2. He should easily break 1K next year with some positive TD regression.

I also think Pitts could be an absurd sleeper/steal. IIRC, he was still dealing with some knee issues during camp/the early part of the season. If he has a full healthy off-season and a HC that isn't obsessed with getting Jonnu Smith the ball, he should finally get back on track.

Belichick said on NFLN it might be a series of meetings and they'd keep specifics internal so NFLN inferred there probably won't be Pats news today

Sirius- Mark Davis said he asked the league for clarity on the interview rules and hiring an interim coach.
Yesterday he was quoted praising Pierce for how he's lead the team.
They're inferring Pierce got the job, just gotta dot Is and cross Ts

Belichick said on NFLN it might be a series of meetings and they'd keep specifics internal so NFLN inferred there probably won't be Pats news today
There had been reports from the past couple of days that it could take a few weeks (not hours or days) for NE to figure out what they will do.

Last edited:

The issue here is he is not the Owner...he just gave a 13 minute press conference without any questions and did something that was totally out-of-character for him which is mentioning his contract...I can't post the whole thing but Greg Bedard summarzies where we are very well:

The news out of the press conference was a) Belichick acknowledging he has a contract and is under it going forward (he NEVER says anything about his contract), b) he's going to keep working until someone tells him otherwise, c) and that he's at least open to working with a general manager, and d) things need to be fixed.

Now, you could certainly take that as Belichick wanting to stay, being open to big changes and making his opening pitch to ownership.

But there's another real possibility: Belichick has read the tea leaves, thinks he might be out and he was basically telling the Krafts that they'll have to fire him and pay him — while telling other teams what his situation is and what he'd be open to should they entertain his services.

And I'm in the same spot: I don't know. Both could be true to some extent. But Belichick is certainly putting this on the Krafts' plate publicly.

Last edited:
Diana Russini said Falcons are interested in Belichick.

Falcons still have their GM, worth noting.
so crazy.. BB is one of the best coaches ever, but the game has clearly passed him by. He is 71 and I am not sure Atlanta is a good fit. Minnesota would be better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread