What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (1 Viewer)

Kraft said yesterday they would be moving quickly...the big questions are GM then OC...if they don't nail the GM position it won't matter who is coaching.
Do you think the Pats and Vrabel would be happy with naming him GM? Or does he really want to coach?

He seems like a HC to me, but I felt the exact same way about Brad Stevens...was totally shocked when he became GM...and could not be happier with the job he is doing.

Kraft said yesterday they would be moving quickly...the big questions are GM then OC...if they don't nail the GM position it won't matter who is coaching.
Do you think the Pats and Vrabel would be happy with naming him GM? Or does he really want to coach?
He wouldn't be good.
He's very much a playing favorites type and has an obsession with former Texans so you'd probably see a dozen Titans on the Pats- ten of which you're wondering- why him?

I still want to know why JRob has been in NE so much since October. I have not seen him on a list for interviews just writers mentioning he could get interviews.

That whole contract to become eventual coach and now he is, was fascinating and interesting in like 24 hours.

He wouldn't be good.
He's very much a playing favorites type and has an obsession with former Texans so you'd probably see a dozen Titans on the Pats- ten of which you're wondering- why him?

I still want to know why JRob has been in NE so much since October. I have not seen him on a list for interviews just writers mentioning he could get interviews.

Right now there has not been any confirmed interviews for the Pats GM job...Robinson is definitely a name being mentioned due to his ties with the franchise...I do believe they already know who it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
Lions HC/GM candidates with requested interviews:
  • OC Ben Johnson (5) - Chargers, Commanders, Falcons, Panthers, Titans
  • DC Aaron Glenn (4) - Chargers, Commanders, Falcons, Titans
  • COO Mike Disner (1) - Panthers GM position

Vrabel named (DL coach) Terrell Williams assistant head coach and IIRC he coached the team during a preseason game and the week leading up to it and during the bye week. This was supposedly "good on you" Vrabel.
However he hasn't been mentioned for a thing.

Chris Harris was a big deal supposedly when the Titans got him as a DB coach (D pass game coordinator) and the vibe was he may only be with the Titans a year because he's an up n comer. He's not been mentioned for a thing.

Shane Bowen. He's worked with Vrabel Schwartz and Haslett, had massive turnover (twice over 45%) and injuries(three times most in NFL) and they're usually middle to top ten which is darn good for playing second and third stringers. He hasn't gotten a sniff

Many said Vrabel would be scooped up right away. He hasn't even had an interview.

I said earlier how Pat Kirwan said when a guy like Vrabel becomes available, a GM that was on the fence may suddenly make a move to fire his head coach thinking this is his opportunity. He used the Eagles as an example.

ESPN today mentions the Eagles could move on from their coach despite their recent success.

Whether it happens or not, nice hip shot by Pat.

The Eagles displeasure with coaching shows how thankless the biz side can be. Their staff was about stripped by promotions; so there was definitely an adjustment period that was to follow and at the moment they don't seem to have any patience

Ian Rapaport brings up Belichick to Carolina.

I put no stock in this, but BB to CAR would be quite a story.
I don't pretend to know Belichick but I pretend to know Belichick in the sense that I simply don't see him getting along with certain owners

Agreed…after he got fired in Cleveland he realized a good Owner would be a key to his success…that is why he turned down the Jets…he had serious concerns about ownership…the only way I could see him being interested in Carolina is if they are the only team willing to give him full control…IMO this would end up being a disaster.

Peters hired to be the Commanders GM
That's another SF guy promoted

Also, since he was coveted last year and turned down teams (like the Titans) the Golden State Warriors guy is likely doing a good job leading their searches

Disner I'm guessing is the salary cap guy. Probably a good guy to keep?

Disner I'm guessing is the salary cap guy. Probably a good guy to keep?

Yes. Also the guy who suggested interviewing Brad Holmes. Was the guy who brokered the truce with Megatron. They’ve promoted him every year. West Bloomfield native but started with the Patriots.

Think the young guy we hired from USC last year would replace him.

Also, since he was coveted last year and turned down teams (like the Titans) the Golden State Warriors guy is likely doing a good job leading their searches
He’s the guy I wanted most for the Pats GM position. Got his start as a Pats scout so it would’ve been a homecoming of sorts. I’m guessing now they promote from within with Eliot Wolf, which I mean… I hope he at least has a different approach to the Draft than BB did. We’ll see what they do but if the plan is to hire someone quickly to work with Mayo then it may make sense to look no further than the same building. Usually you hire the GM first and then let them look for their HC so doing it the other way around limits the possible candidates.

He’s the guy I wanted most for the Pats GM position. Got his start as a Pats scout so it would’ve been a homecoming of sorts. I’m guessing now they promote from within with Eliot Wolf, which I mean… I hope he at least has a different approach to the Draft than BB did. We’ll see what they do but if the plan is to hire someone quickly to work with Mayo then it may make sense to look no further than the same building. Usually you hire the GM first and then let them look for their HC so doing it the other way around limits the possible candidates.
Amy Trask mentioned Pioli
Robinson mentioned on Sirius yesterday with Pioli.
There seems to be an assumed vibe that the Pats want one of their guys or formerly their guys.
I haven't read that to be true but there's probably never been so many articles on a situation as there is because BB is a legend so I've skipped many articles

Radio, talking about Commanders process.
Myers, former Golden State warriors, first two questions for new hire GM Peters-
What do you need?
What will you do with that?
Myers said he'll have clarification (or followup) questions but that's all he really needs for an interview is two questions.

Host saying he was asked why he interviewed Peters- Everyone he spoke to said he was the top candidate.

Faaa if that isn't super simple.

The best at many things often make it seem so easy and...I'm just sort of blown away here

BB needs 26 wins to pass Shula. I don’t know if that’s his goal but if he wants a chance there’s no way he signs with the panthers.
Seahawks would be very interesting.
If Dallas loses tomorrow things can get even more interesting quick.
26 wins is for regular season, not counting playoffs. The more realistic goal is all-time including playoffs, which he is only 14 wins away from tying. Should be an attainable goal in two seasons or even one if he picks the right team and has a deep playoff run. If the Cowboys choke to the Packers on Sunday then I have to think they’re the favorite to land him.

I really want to see BNME get a team and I really want to know what Magic and Myers think of him.

BB needs 26 wins to pass Shula. I don’t know if that’s his goal but if he wants a chance there’s no way he signs with the panthers.
Seahawks would be very interesting.
If Dallas loses tomorrow things can get even more interesting quick.
26 wins is for regular season, not counting playoffs. The more realistic goal is all-time including playoffs, which he is only 14 wins away from tying. Should be an attainable goal in two seasons or even one if he picks the right team and has a deep playoff run. If the Cowboys choke to the Packers on Sunday then I have to think they’re the favorite to land him.
Thanks, I had heard 14 before But then checked the list. Not realizing post season wasn’t included. Both are reachable with the right team. That right team can be Dallas, Seattle, Philly or LA.

Schefter: Antonio Pierce the favorite for Raiders HC

Thin resume, but he deserves it IMO
They'd be out of their minds not hiring him. The players love playing for him.
Wait, they actually hire interim coaches who did well and the players like? :pokey: 🤯

Yeah. They need to hire one of the few that follow in the Vrabel and Ryans mold.
It doesn't happen often. He seems like a great motivator.

There seems to be an assumed vibe that the Pats want one of their guys or formerly their guys.
I haven't read that to be true but there's probably never been so many articles on a situation as there is because BB is a legend so I've skipped many articles
Phil Perry is saying they’re sticking with the people they already have in the front office, mainly Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf. Which scares me some because I don’t know how much the Tyquan Thornton and Cole Strange picks were their doing and how much was Bill Belichick’s doing. I really would’ve preferred they clean house with the entire staff and start over.

Last edited:

Phil Perry is saying they’re sticking with the people they already have in the front office, mainly Matt Groh and Eliot Wolf. Which scares me some because I don’t know how much the Tyquan Thornton and Cole Strange picks were their doing and how much was Bill Belichick’s doing. I really would’ve preferred they clean house with the entire staff and start over.

That is not good news and I don’t see any fans being happy with this…they need someone not on the current staff to be the new GM…if they screw up this side of things they will be bad for a long time regardless of who the HC is.

That is not good news and I don’t see any fans being happy with this…they need someone not on the current staff to be the new GM…if they screw up this side of things they will be bad for a long time regardless of who the HC is.
Exactly. That 2022 draft was gross and that was Groh’s doing. I’m not happy with this. Coaching wasn’t the issue, roster building was, and if they’re continuing using the same people to roster build then they may as well have stuck with BB. This is sounding more and more like the Krafts not wanting to make dramatic changes, just wanting BB out of the building and nothing more, and I can’t vibe with that at all. BB isn’t the only reason for the decline and firing him alone and leaving everything else as is won’t make it better. This has Jonathan Kraft written all over it.

Exactly. That 2022 draft was gross and that was Groh’s doing. I’m not happy with this. Coaching wasn’t the issue, roster building was, and if they’re continuing using the same people to roster build then they may as well have stuck with BB. This is sounding more and more like the Krafts not wanting to make dramatic changes, just wanting BB out of the building and nothing more, and I can’t vibe with that at all. BB isn’t the only reason for the decline and firing him alone and leaving everything else as is won’t make it better. This has Jonathan Kraft written all over it.

One of BB's undoings was surrounding himself with yes-men and getting zero input from outside of his world (both on his coaching staff and in the front office)...I would hate to see the Krafts fall into this same trap of comfort...I am fine with Mayo getting a chance but the personnel side of things is a totally different story...that is what is causing the majority of their issues and they need to totally revamp how they conduct business.

Florio makes his guess, as of now:

The annual coaching carousel got started during the season, accelerated slightly (but not unexpectedly) on Monday, and then got nutty on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

It might not be done yet. Especially with 14 teams still playing, six destined to lose this weekend, and big names looming over the market.

Here’s a very preliminary snapshot as to how things could land. The names we’re watching in certain cities, subject to change — especially if other teams decide to change coaches.

This comes from the names we’re hearing when talking to various folks throughout the league. It’s not a report. We’re simply sharing what we’re hearing at a time when things have gotten crazy.

Falcons: Bill Belichick.

There are issues that would need to be addressed if Belichick goes to Atlanta. (We’ll address those in another post.) But Belichick has been consistently linked to Atlanta, and Atlanta to Belichick, since it became obvious that he would no longer be linked to New England. The question is whether another team (Cowboys or Eagles) end up opting to try to hire him, if/when their playoff runs end.

Commanders: Ben Johnson.

Multiple sources firmly believe that Adam Peters had been preselected to be the next G.M. Those same sources believe the Lions offensive coordinator has been preselected to coach the Commanders.

And, yes, we’ve previously said new owner Josh Harris is enamored with the idea of Bill Belichick coaching (and only coaching) the team. The Commanders have done a good job of mobilizing this week to throw water on that notion. One source with knowledge of the situation shared that same message with PFT on Friday, with the caveat that things could change.

The change would or could come from Peters, who spent six years working with Belichick in New England, from 2003 to 2008. For now, though, the thinking is that it’s Peters first, Johnson second.

Seahawks: Dan Quinn.

G.M. John Schneider is finally running the show in Seattle. And every good scout keeps an eye on players and on coaches. Schneider surely has had in his back pocket a list of coaches he’ll try to hire if/when he’s ever running a team. With Pete Carroll gone, Schneider finally is. And the thinking is that Quinn is the name at the top of his list.

The question is whether Quinn will choose to stay in Dallas, with the hopes of eventually succeeding Mike McCarthy. If McCarthy succeeds in not getting swapped out for Belichick.

Chargers: Jim Harbaugh.

He wanted the job last year. He’s reportedly meeting with the Chargers this year. It makes too much sense to not happen.

The question is whether, while doing his due diligence, he sees anything that gives him pause — especially after his experience with the 49ers, a team that failed to find a way to coexist with a great coach.

The other question becomes whether another team makes a strong push for him. The Buccaneers love to chase big names. And, if they lose on Monday night, the Bucs can’t be ruled out.

Titans: Antonio Pierce.

The Raiders interim coach did a great job after the firing of Josh McDaniels. Possibly not great enough to get the permanent job. But definitely great enough to be seriously considered elsewhere. A Pierce/Ran Carthon partnership could be the next experiment for owner Amy Adams Strunk, who has taken a huge risk by letting a great coach like Mike Vrabel go.

Raiders: Mike Vrabel.

And that brings us to Vrabel and the Raiders. Yes, the Raiders. Albert Breer of SI.com pointed out the relationship between Vrabel and Tom Brady, who is still hoping to be approved as part owner of the team. Brady, per Breer, was at the team’s final practice of the year, bolstering the notion that Brady will be involved in the coaching search.

Vrabel might want to lay low, however, until it’s known whether Mike Tomlin takes a Sean Payton-style break in Pittsburgh or Andy Reid takes to retirement in Kansas City. Although most think of Vrabel as a Patriot, he was drafted by the Steelers — and he finished his career with the Chiefs, sent there as part of the Matt Cassel trade.

The possibility of a Reid retirement could become a factor for Belichick, too. Only one team has Patrick Mahomes. If Belichick wants to win another Super Bowl, or two, that could be the place to go.

Panthers: “Who ****ing knows.”

That’s the direct quote from a high-level source with one of the NFL’s teams, other than the Panthers. Owner David Tepper looms over all decisions, and he will hover over the shoulder of whoever gets the job. It’s the least attractive option of all (in my opinion), given that the owner is the most active (and disruptive) to the efforts of the coach to do his job.

I saw this morning that they're in no rush and may not hire one til after the draft...let me find that. I thought I posted it here. Seemed odd

I saw this morning that they're in no rush and may not hire one til after the draft...let me find that. I thought I posted it here. Seemed odd
It must have been Schefter or Callahan I saw

That would be really odd...this offseason is beyond important and I don't see what the benefit is to not having your new GM charting the course.

A month or so ago, there was a tweet how Harbaugh was offered a suite at Chargers stadium.
He's been firmly in the rumored plans for them and that guy gets no credit. Me, I can't remember who mentioned that to give him credit but...I can't explain why he'd get a suite for any other reason

That would be really odd...this offseason is beyond important and I don't see what the benefit is to not having your new GM charting the course.
There's a weird feeling people talk of- how the new GM is using someone else's staff and info and not his own until they've been there a whole calendar year and he can say how he wants things and what quirks he wants on scouting reports.
Titans GM Ran has given himself credit on every good pick and pointed out that Ryan Cowden (interim GM for a bit) ran the draft board when there's negativity about a pick. I have a huge prob with Ran's character? leadership? flaws- this and saying he wasn't sure the vision of the franchise.
My thoughts are FF related and I don't think I'm Soo wrong in the generalization. If I used your cheatsheet or your notes I'd do fine because I'm not pretentious as if I hadn't followed FF til the day I was hired. Further the whole industry is 'use my rankings" at its most widdled down description.
Supposing certain attributes or redeeming qualities a new GM looks for...hired in January, plenty of time to read up til April.
JRob was one of several GMs that spoke of mock drafting before the actual draft as a prep tool- do that too, especially if you're unfamiliar or unsure.
I just...I see a lot of copouts.
Monte Ossenfort was rolling in Arizona. He wasn't making an excuse that he'd been with the Titans the prior year.
Robinson's best draft was when he drafted right away. Conklin, Henry, Byard, even Tajae Sharpe who outdid his fifth round grade.
I remember Croom quotes and Blake (top scout) quotes on Henry. Again, if a GM needs to be told about the Heisman winner I'd fire him BUT asking the longtime RB coach and top scout sounds like perfect wisdom to seek.

Kraft seems to have his ear to the fans now. I hope y'all bark about this loudly and get an accountable GM soon.

I don't pretend to know Belichick but I pretend to know Belichick in the sense that I simply don't see him getting along with certain owners
The best bet for the Panthers is to give someone total control of their football operations. I could see Bill still wanting that (even though he isn't a good GM) but doubt that Tepper will set his ego aside to do it.

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
·
1m
One rival executive told me this week that if the #Cowboys lost to the #Packers, he thought Jerry Jones would go after Bill Belichick to replace Mike McCarthy.

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
·
1m
One rival executive told me this week that if the #Cowboys lost to the #Packers, he thought Jerry Jones would go after Bill Belichick to replace Mike McCarthy.
That rumor / speculation has been everywhere.
Makes sense imo but we’ll see.
If not Dallas, I’d think the chargers are most likely (if they don’t sign harbaugh) but I’d like to see him in Atlanta and the falcons sign a QB like tannehill.

Reactions: Bri
Vrabel has let the word out that he may take a year or two off.
Obviously this can be spun a few ways but for me this is "if I don't get what I want (including $) I'm just going to take some time off."

He was also seen with JRob in TEN so I guess JRob in New England curiosity stuff will die down. Pretty sure this was mostly Titans fans curiosity but still.

Users who are viewing this thread