What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Year end coach meetings, Black Monday coming (2 Viewers)

It seems to me every team is asking to interview the same guys.
Has anyone turned down an interview yet?

The New ENgland Patriots would like to welcome their new Head Coach Mike Vrabel
The most likely candidate is expected to be Jerod Mayo.

I think it is 50/50 between Mayo and Vrabel...the bigger question to me is who the next GM is...have heard Pioli's name floating around lately...not sure in what role it would be but that kind of came out of nowhere.
Bert Breer was just on the radio suggesting that Brady would likely reach out to Vrabel to coach the Raiders and, if so, that would probably be where Mike ends up.

I heard that yesterday and I can see the connection...those two were always tight...that being said I gotta believe moving away from Pierce will be tough.

The New ENgland Patriots would like to welcome their new Head Coach Mike Vrabel
The most likely candidate is expected to be Jerod Mayo.
Don't count out Brian Flores. But the one thing that all 3 have in common which could deter them from getting the job is that they are defensive minded coaches.
I thought he was an untouchable til his NFL lawsuit was done. I see his name lately and still wonder if that's true. This IS a pretentious time where owners act like their candidate is so special with no negatives.
Do you think he can get a sincere opportunity?

Sincere is the big question. He did get interviewed by the Falcons a year after the lawsuit was filed, but for a DC position. Though if anyone isn't sincere about him as a HC then I'm not sure he'd be one that you'd talk to since it could just end up adding you to the lawsuit.

Not that insincere interviews don't happen. Leslie Frazier was on NFLN talking about experiences, and had mentioned among others an interview he went through that was more of a "how are you doing" set of questions and not really anything that would evaluate him as a coaching candidate, and not what they asked other candidates.

Not that insincere interviews don't happen. Leslie Frazier was on NFLN talking about experiences, and had mentioned among others an interview he went through that was more of a "how are you doing" set of questions and not really anything that would evaluate him as a coaching candidate, and not what they asked other candidates.
Yeah, Art Shell was a Rooney Rule guy for years, I think he was cool with pretty much just getting free steak dinners.

Steeler fan here was really hoping that the Steelers retained Brian Flores over Teryl Austin. It was obvious that they weren't going to keep both for a 2nd year. But with Flores at least you had someone internally he possibly could interview for the head coaching position. If Tomlin were to move on which has been floated out there in the press that he might take a year off. Brian was a longtime assistant in NE.

The issue in Miami was there were the Sean Payton - Tom Brady package rumors. Almost 75% of the head coaches in the league would of been fired for a better head coach. Just because your a good head coach doesn't mean that they can't find someone better than you especially if their management changes and/or decision maker changes.

I heard that yesterday and I can see the connection...those two were always tight...that being said I gotta believe moving away from Pierce will be tough.
Brewer made a connection any internet rando can make. He made it clear he was guessing.

Dianna Russini

@DMRussini

Both Jim Harbaugh and Bill Belichick are NOT on the Titans’ candidate list, per source.

Translation: Their agents told TEN not to bother.

Brewer made a connection any internet rando can make. He made it clear he was guessing.
Dianna Russini
@DMRussini

Both Jim Harbaugh and Bill Belichick are NOT on the Titans’ candidate list, per source.

Has Brady even been approved as part-Owner yet?

I don't really even know what part owner entails. If he is part owner, does that mean he has say in GM or coach?

Tell you what, Raider Nation and the players are on board with AP. He has the team's respect, and they played hard for him, and the defense went from awful to very good. Doesn't seem like he wants to run the front office, I really hope he gets the job.

If they get Harbaugh and a good QB, it might all be awesome, I could see that.

I could also see crazypants Harbaugh causing drama, and this team really really doesn't need that.

I don't really even know what part owner entails. If he is part owner, does that mean he has say in GM or coach?

Tell you what, Raider Nation and the players are on board with AP. He has the team's respect, and they played hard for him, and the defense went from awful to very good. Doesn't seem like he wants to run the front office, I really hope he gets the job.

I could also see crazypants Harbaugh causing drama, and this team really really doesn't need that.

That is why I ask...it is one of those stories (like Brady having signed with Fox to broadcast) that I forget about then all of a sudden it pops up and I then have more questions than answers...agreed about Pierce...as an outsider I don't think you could ask him to do anymore then he did and he seemed to give the Raiders an identity...would be tough to pass on him but if it is Harbaugh that is a different story but you are right...he just seems so legit crazy...that is no act.

The narrative on the East Coast is that LV will welcome as much involvement as they can get from Brady, as the entire league respects him. He could be a valuable tool to recruit players to play for the Raiders (as well as coaches and front office staff). Pierce may have done well down the stretch, but he's unlikely to have the pull and the clout that Brady does. Officially, Brady has not been voted on by the league owners to become part owner, and it stands to reason if that doesn't happen then Brady won't have much involvement moving forward.

Another way to look at it is that McDaniels was horrible, and just simply replacing him with someone else got the Raiders back to being a .500 team. Bringing in a more established coach might ramp up the team faster. I'm not saying that Pierce can't be a good coach or that he didn't do well, but I am not sure LV is completely sold on naming him their full-time head coach. Under Pierce, they played 6 teams with a different QB than started the season and 4 of their 5 wins were against non-playoff teams (their road win at KC being their best win by far).

Bert Breer was just on the radio suggesting that Brady would likely reach out to Vrabel to coach the Raiders and, if so, that would probably be where Mike ends up

Mike Lombardi was saying something similar yesterday but I don't think he went so far as to say it's where he'll probably end up so much as saying their should be mutual interest because of their connection.

Dianna Russini
@DMRussini

No, per articles last month, Brady's ownership has not been approved yet.

Davis offered Brady a hugely discounted price. Brady wants to buy 10% and Davis agreed to $175 million.

The Raider's last Forbes valuation was $6.2 billion. 10% of which would be $620 million. NFL teams being sold for 1/4 their valuation doesn't sit well with other NFL owners. They left it open that a deal could be completed with modifications, but what Davis and Brady proposed so far didn't make it past their Finance Committee and so wasn't voted on during the December owners meeting.

Last edited:
Bert Breer was just on the radio suggesting that Brady would likely reach out to Vrabel to coach the Raiders and, if so, that would probably be where Mike ends up

Mike Lombardi was saying something similar yesterday but I don't think he went so far as to say it's where he'll probably end up so much as saying their should be mutual interest because of their connection.
Breer went on to say that he thinks Mayo will be the next NE head coach, and he sounded pretty confident. Seemed like more of an informed opinion than a guess, although he did say that Vrabel could still be in the mix (but Vrabel has a better relationship with Vrabel than the Kraft's do).

To me, they need to bring in a GM and then figure out who the coach should be, but we are in uncharted territory so who knows how organized / disorganized things will go from here.

@Bri just ignore MoP and Rock. They are both alcoholics and while they are 2 of the top posters here they also say a lot of dumb **** and get in slap fights all the time.

@Ministry of Pain give it a rest. Who gives a **** if someone somewhere on an approved internet website said something about Vrabel and a 1st. Literally nobody cares except you.

@rockaction love you man

@Bri is probably a top 5 poster on this website in terms of content and analysis. He is the only person here who talks about the Titans and his info is almost always spot on. I'll take his 2 cents on anything Titans related over some Twitter jabroni who feeds his family based on clicks.

If y'all want to keep playing grab *** take it to DM because none of us care

Edit: @Ministry of Pain I love you too 😘

Breer went on to say that he thinks Mayo will be the next NE head coach, and he sounded pretty confident. Seemed like more of an informed opinion than a guess, although he did say that Vrabel could still be in the mix (but Vrabel has a better relationship with Vrabel than the Kraft's do).

To me, they need to bring in a GM and then figure out who the coach should be, but we are in uncharted territory so who knows how organized / disorganized things will go from here.

GM is easily the more important hire...as far as Vrabel and Mayo are concerned you gotta believe there is another dynamic involved…if Mayo is the choice I don’t picture him having much if any input as to who the GM is…if Mayo is the choice I bet they already know who the GM is…if Vrabel is now the choice I gotta believe he will have a big say in who the next GM will be…after what just happened with the Titans I don’t picture him going anywhere unless he is very comfortable with who he is working with (including the Owner which is definitely not an issue with the Pats)…pretty similar to how BB was thinking when he turned down the jets for the Pats.

GM is easily the more important hire...as far as Vrabel and Mayo are concerned you gotta believe there is another dynamic involved…if Mayo is the choice I don’t picture him having much if any input as to who the GM is…if Mayo is the choice I bet they already know who the GM is…if Vrabel is now the choice I gotta believe he will have a big say in who the next GM will be…after what just happened with the Titans I don’t picture him going anywhere unless he is very comfortable with who he is working with (including the Owner which is definitely not an issue with the Pats)…pretty similar to how BB was thinking when he turned down the jets for the Pats.
Would the Kraft's give Vrabel the dual GM / head coach role like they did Bill? I didn't pay much attention to the situation in TEN, but didn't Vrabel have issues with personnel decisions and wanted a much larger say?

Would the Kraft's give Vrabel the dual GM / head coach role like they did Bill? I didn't pay much attention to the situation in TEN, but didn't Vrabel have issues with personnel decisions and wanted a much larger say?
A lot of hypocritical info right now.

He agreed with a lot of what JRob did but certainly not all with AJB being the most notable.
The owner wanted to instill and elaborate structure where everyone sort of overlaps and works together.
JRob had two or three assistants that would become GMs or some high capacity but he was the clear boss and made team VP.
New GM Ran Carthon came in with a trio but it seems from dissecting info none of them are ever to blame because the other guy did it. Vrabel was frustrated and unsure who to go to and would always leave a meeting on the same page, then something happens and he goes to...the wrong guy again. It really aggravated him.
A lot of his and Amy's conversations since JRob has been about this structure and he was on board. Titans staff even has assistant head coach and both defensive and offensive run n pass coordinators. He adopted it but ultimately he didn't like it and got frustrated

If Vrabel can't have final say then...
He has a right hand man type assistant like Belichick had forever, Stretch, and from what I hear, he wanted Stretch involved in anything and everything and reporting back to him. The GM trio was against this as was owner w the structure. From what I understand this made the owner feel he wasn't onboard with her system and had to go

The more I think of this the easier it is to see Mayo as the HC because I think the Krafts already know what they want to do and have for awhile…now there is no doubt that may all change because of the suddenness of Vrabel being available and his relationship with the team…if Mayo doesn’t interview for one of the open jobs I will play detective and say that confirms he is the guy…will be interesting and keep us busy speculating.

Reactions: Bri
I don't know how to take the Pats news. I love Belichick and he deserves all the praise he gets today. Listening to Cassel on Sirius, it occured to me there have been so many heirs to BB and Brady.
Cassel kind of was and wasn't. Jimmy G....
McDaniel, Patricia or whomever....

How do you gauge Mayo in all that? Suppose some guy that used to be next in line applies for the job?

He agreed with a lot of what JRob did but certainly not all with AJB being the most notable.
I have no problem with the GM making final calls on draft day. GM deciding between two players in the 5th round, that's why he's there. Coach needs to trust.

You trade away AJB, and the coach is visibly upset about it on camera, that's the front office's fault. That's a very different thing

AFAIK, Brady has still not been confirmed by the other NFL owners. The issue has to do with him getting a discount on his ownership stake. I haven't heard about that getting resolved yet.

I don't think it matters though. Mark Davis has full control, even though he doesn't even own 50% of the team. My understanding is that it's part of the contract that the other minority owners signed that the Davis family has full control over personnel decisions.

The more I think of this the easier it is to see Mayo as the HC because I think the Krafts already know what they want to do and have for awhile…now there is no doubt that may all change because of the suddenness of Vrabel being available and his relationship with the team…if Mayo doesn’t interview for one of the open jobs I will play detective and say that confirms he is the guy…will be interesting and keep us busy speculating.
If they already know they want Mayo, could they just sign him and skip the formal interview process as he would be a minority hire? That would speed things up in the offseason team building process and could help fast track a GM hire.

If they already know they want Mayo, could they just sign him and skip the formal interview process as he would be a minority hire? That would speed things up in the offseason team building process and could help fast track a GM hire.

Not sure but I think I saw that you can’t do that…if Vrabel is not the choice you gotta believe he will be interviewing pretty quickly if he wants to coach in 2024.

How do you gauge Mayo in all that? Suppose some guy that used to be next in line applies for the job?
If you followed any of the discussion in the NE team or BB threads, a lot depends on the organizational philosophy with a new coach. If the Pats promote from within and restock with only familiar faces on the field and in the front office and try to run things the same way as BB did, that has very little chance of succeeding. In this scenario, it would basically be the same lousy team with coaches with way less experience than Bill.

My fear with Mayo (little to no experience with anything to do with the offense) or Vrabel (coached a run heavy team without much emphasis on passing) is that both would look to focus on the defense and the offense would remain stagnant. That's why many NE fans have been calling for an innovative, offensive minded head coach to modernize the offense and get away from three yards and a cloud of dust with no passing attack. IMO, the defensive core is very solid, so they should be looking for someone that can scheme 25-30 points a game from the offense and develop a QB and all things on the offense (OL, skill positions, identifying offensive talent, etc.). Personally, I am not sure Mayo or Vrabel fits that description, but again, not knowing what direction they are going in, it's pure guesswork at the moment.

They're part of the hypocrisy.

Diana said how the two weren't getting along
Then 3? weeks ago, TD interviewed them for ESPN how they got along fine and she backed it.
Then....

It's very well done and Rexrode has done a nice job but he even questions some of this stuff on his radio show and says "I'm reporting as I hear it" as does Jared Stillman.

I buckled down and text and go with a few older guys that have covered the team for decades under these circumstances

@Bri just ignore MoP and Rock. They are both alcoholics and while they are 2 of the top posters here they also say a lot of dumb **** and get in slap fights all the time.

@Ministry of Pain give it a rest. Who gives a **** if someone somewhere on an approved internet website said something about Vrabel and a 1st. Literally nobody cares except you.

@rockaction love you man

@Bri is probably a top 5 poster on this website in terms of content and analysis. He is the only person here who talks about the Titans and his info is almost always spot on. I'll take his 2 cents on anything Titans related over some Twitter jabroni who feeds his family based on clicks.

Thanks all the way around
If Bri doesn't know by now that i love him and what he brings to the SP, then people are falling asleep.
I engage typically with people I know can take it

I started another similar thread just to cool the chili down a little, nothing personal, I know I have my own feelings and beliefs

Appreciate you Bozeman, thanks for doing this post, never easy
:thumbup:

@rockaction love you man

If Bri doesn't know by now that i love him and what he brings to the SP, then people are falling asleep.

I started another similar thread just to cool the chili down a little, nothing personal, I know I have my own feelings and beliefs

I'd like to go on record as someone who "can't take it." Ha ha

@rockaction love you man

I'd like to go on record as someone who "can't take it." Ha ha
I am being honest, you hit my radar in '23, I did not post behind you a lot but I did hit the thumbs up often when i agreed with a lot of quick takes you had.
I'm thinking you might have had a different avatar/login at some point but I've been known to be wrong... a lot

By the way, if Vrabel DOES get the Pats job, I think Jerod Mayo becomes an interesting target.

He withdrew his name from CAR consideration last year after a talk with Kraft, and as far as I know, no one is asking to interview him. Why not?

By the way, if Vrabel DOES get the Pats job, I think Jerod Mayo becomes an interesting target.

He withdrew his name from CAR consideration last year after a talk with Kraft, and as far as I know, no one is asking to interview him. Why not?
I think it's because he's going to the next HC of the Pats and it has been heading in that direction since he signed that "mysterious" extension...now the timing of BB moving on and Vrabel getting fired definitely adds intrigue to this (and no one can be too surprised if he gets the job) but unless I see Mayo suddenly start interviewing again it feels like he will be the next HC...now I have heard him interviewed where he has said he loves the area and wants to raise his family here but if he gets passed over I can't see him being content to remain with the Pats as an Assistant.

Looks like they can hire Mayo now if that is the plan because of the contract already in place (not because of anything with the Rooney rule):

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...-place-to-make-jerod-mayo-the-next-head-coach

Looks like they can hire Mayo now if that is the plan because of the contract already in place (not because of anything with the Rooney rule):

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...-place-to-make-jerod-mayo-the-next-head-coach

According to that, they might even HAVE to hire him, or else face whatever consequences there might be (contractual or lawsuit) for not living up to the contract term.

According to that, they might even HAVE to hire him, or else face whatever consequences there might be (contractual or lawsuit) for not living up to the contract term.
It (the consequences) would be $$.

If I were Belichick, when I had my press conference I'd have answered every question with, "On to Cincinnati."

Hours after announcing their split from Bill Belichick, the New England Patriots have a clear front-runner for the coaching job left vacant by a legend.

All signs are pointing to Jerod Mayo becoming the franchise’s 15th head coach, according to league sources briefed on the matter who were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Mayo was lured into coaching by Belichick in 2019 and became one of Belichick’s most trusted assistants, helping develop the team’s defensive game plans in recent seasons.

Now, barring a change of heart from owners Robert and Jonathan Kraft, Mayo will become Belichick’s successor. An announcement could come as soon as the middle of next week.

The move could happen so quickly because of language in Mayo’s contract that was previously unknown and because of stipulations in the league’s Rooney Rule, which typically requires teams to conduct in-person interviews with at least two external minority candidates, and anti-tampering policy. The language in Mayo’s contract was first reported by NFL Network.

The condition in the Rooney Rule and anti-tampering policy allows teams to bypass the typical interview process if they establish in writing a succession plan and communicate that with the league before the start of the season. According to a league source, the Patriots did that with Mayo.

Three teams have made use of this provision before: the Baltimore Ravens in hiring general manager Eric DeCosta, the Indianapolis Colts in hiring former coach Jim Caldwell and the Seattle Seahawks with former coach Jim Mora Jr.

That said, things have yet to be finalized with Mayo. The Krafts spent most of Wednesday with Belichick discussing next steps and determining his exit. They spent Thursday ceremoniously celebrating the split and the success Belichick brought to New England. On Friday, they can begin to turn the page and look ahead to the looming coaching search.

But the language in Mayo’s contract, according to a league source, indicates the Krafts have planned to turn to Mayo since re-negotiating his contract one year

Would Vrabel take a step back to DC to support Mayo and come back to the Patriots? I get he'll have a lot of HC job interest, but it feels like his heart is in Foxborough.

Would Vrabel take a step back to DC to support Mayo and come back to the Patriots? I get he'll have a lot of HC job interest, but it feels like his heart is in Foxborough.

100% no...he will have no problem getting a HC job...no reason at all to take a step backwards...if there is not a job he really wants his best bet would be to take a year off, collect the $, catch his breath then coach in 2005...that being said I would be shocked if he is not coaching in 2024...he is very well-regarded and was coach of the year only a couple of years ago in 2021.

Personally don't think so. My opinion is he would take over a college program before he took a spot as 2nd fiddle. Just my opinion.

Don't think hiring a friend who wanted complete control in TEN and is loved by Pats fans would be something Mayo would like.

First time they have a 3 game losing streak, sports radio would be calling for Vrabel

Don't think hiring a friend who wanted complete control in TEN and is loved by Pats fans would be something Mayo would like.

First time they have a 3 game losing streak, sports radio would be calling for Vrabel
That is something I hadn't considered. Makes sense.

Also, Mayo and Vrabel are both defensive guys...Mayo does need a strong personality on that side of the ball...Mayo is going to need a legit OC...speculation about McDaniels coming back...on one-hand I get it but on the other I would like to move on from him and bring in a totally new voice.

Users who are viewing this thread