What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (1 Viewer)

Smoke
And
Mirrors
Lol
Outgained by 75 yards, Pickett still looks awful, playmaking WRs are nonexistent, defense gives up 400 yards, and another win lol
I thought it was Pickett’s worst game. The scramble on 3rd down at the end of the game was his best play. Yeesh. He looked indecisive and lost after the first quarter.
He had 14 completions.
9 were either behind or within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage.
3 were between 5 and 10 yards downfield.
2 were beyond 10 yards.
TWO.
Both rbs averaged over 5ypc and they won. :shrug:
Yesterday was how they should play.. I know people want Pickett to throw for 400 yards every week, but that just isn't going to happen. He should have 15-20 attempts a week. Steelers should be a far more run first team.

Thought it was actually one of Canada's best called games.
Low bar. He seemed to regress from last week where he finally started to use the middle of the field more. This week it was back to sideline to sideline with limited chance for YAC.

I think that 2 of Kenny's major issues are still fixable; bailing on the pocket too early and locking into the first read. But his accuracy has been troubling, aside from the 4th quarter. He has shown the ability to be locked on and hit very small targets, but all too frequently throws the ball too high or behind targets, or both.

The lateral today to Warren was terrible, you have to lead the RB.
Yesterday is most definitely not how they should play. Maybe it's how they have to play. If OC or QB limitations are the reason the team is limited in how they're able to play, then they should be replaced. But an approach like this can't work against good teams or especially in the playoffs.

Fact is, Pickett turned 1 good year of college as a red-shirt Senior into being a 1st round pick on his hometown professional team that was desperate for a new QB. That year, Pitt had a strong RB group and Jordan Addison at WR to catch almost half of his completions. Loved Pickett that year and had a blast driving 20 miles down the road to see Pitt win the Big East over Wake Forest. He was just never smart as a 1st round pick and who knows if he can ever develop into anything more than Andy Dalton. I'm not encouraged by anything I've seen so far.
Yesterday offensive play calling was the way this team should go here on out.. Ran the ball 38 times compared to 23 passes.

On Pickett, you guys just got to accept he is their QB. Is he good, no, but IMO he is manageable under the right offensive schemes. Like I said, yesterday run first is how this team should go.

Fact is, Pickett turned 1 good year of college as a red-shirt Senior into being a 1st round pick on his hometown professional team that was desperate for a new QB. That year, Pitt had a strong RB group and Jordan Addison at WR to catch almost half of his completions. Loved Pickett that year and had a blast driving 20 miles down the road to see Pitt win the Big East over Wake Forest. He was just never smart as a 1st round pick and who knows if he can ever develop into anything more than Andy Dalton. I'm not encouraged by anything I've seen so far.
Minor correction: While Pickett did play for Pitt, Pittsburgh is not his hometown. He is from New Jersey

Smoke
And
Mirrors
Lol
Outgained by 75 yards, Pickett still looks awful, playmaking WRs are nonexistent, defense gives up 400 yards, and another win lol
I thought it was Pickett’s worst game. The scramble on 3rd down at the end of the game was his best play. Yeesh. He looked indecisive and lost after the first quarter.
He had 14 completions.
2 were beyond 10 yards.
TWO.
Yesterday was how they should play.. I know people want Pickett to throw for 400 yards every week, but that just isn't going to happen. He should have 15-20 attempts a week. Steelers should be a far more run first team.

Thought it was actually one of Canada's best called games.

First half, for sure. Second half I was feeling like Canada was back in the booth a bit.

Kenny seems to basically lock in on one side of the field and then check down. I can see why Pickens gets upset. Numeous occassions where he didn't even look in his direction. That near pick on 3rd down was a terrible decision too -- had Washington right in front of him wide open for the first.

I'll unapologetically confirm that I was high on the Pickett draft pick and I was high on his prospects having watched him play at Pitt. And I still think he can improve into a solid if not good NFL QB. Nonetheless, I'm beyond disappointed at his lack of progress this year. Especially after that pre-season (I know, that sounds dumb), my expectations for him this year have not been met. Do I expect 400 yards and a raft load of attempts? Of course not. I expect Neil O'Donnell. Kenny should be able to manage the game better. He needs to make the consistent, solid throws and the occasion very good throw down the field. I'm 100% certain he is capable of doing that. Kenny going 16 for 24 , 200 yards and 1 TD with no picks--that keeps the Steelers in every single game and probably wins most of them. What I saw on Sunday was either a QB who took a massive step backwards in terms of confidence and effectiveness or someone who is injured and not able to even be mediocre. I hope it is just his ribs and not his psyche.

Minor correction: While Pickett did play for Pitt, Pittsburgh is not his hometown. He is from New Jersey
Poor wording on my part... meant hometown relative to where he played college ball. He was so well liked in Pittsburgh already and so familiar to the coaching staff that I wonder if the Steelers would have taken him if they hadn't passed on a different star Pitt quarterback about 40 years ago.

Poor wording on my part... meant hometown relative to where he played college ball. He was so well liked in Pittsburgh already and so familiar to the coaching staff that I wonder if the Steelers would have taken him if they hadn't passed on a different star Pitt quarterback about 40 years ago.
Yeah I never bought into the theory that selecting Pickett had anything at all to do with Dan Marino.

Smoke
And
Mirrors
Lol
He had 14 completions.
2 were beyond 10 yards.
TWO.
Broderick jones is a beast!
Good eye.

Steelers rookie OT Broderick Jones jumps off the screen when you look at all of their explosive runs. He is dominating. HR pick!!!

Smoke
And
Mirrors
Lol
He had 14 completions.
2 were beyond 10 yards.
TWO.
Broderick jones is a beast!
Good eye.

Steelers rookie OT Broderick Jones jumps off the screen when you look at all of their explosive runs. He is dominating. HR pick!!!

A pulling tackle is a huge weapon in the run game for us.

Sounds like Freiermuth could be back but Minkah is still dealing with the hamstring. It also looks like ILB Mykal Walker will be activated from the practice squad and play this week

With all the injuries on defense, I think this is the week where our luck runs out and we get steam rolled by a superior team.
Yes the defense is banged up for sure which is resulting in some big time communication issues. They need to get on the same page ASAP.

I also expect that we lose this one but I expected the Bills to totally destroy the Broncos last night in front of a home crowd. AFC North games are weird and sometimes the unexpected happens.

Last edited:
With all the injuries on defense, I think this is the week where our luck runs out and we get steam rolled by a superior team.
Yes the defense is banged up for sure which is resulting in some big time communication issues. They need to get on the same page ASAP.

I also expect that we lose this one but I expected the Bills to totally destroy the Broncos last night in front of a home crowd. AFC North games are weird and sometimes the unexpected happens.
I hate to be so negative, but the unexpected already happened the first time the Steelers played the Browns when the defense scored two TDs and they still barely won.

I mean Cleveland is only 3.5 points favorites at home so you might be onto something. That line is screaming potential Steelers upset.

I swear if the Steelers somehow find a way to win this week I’m changing my tune on the year. From that point forward it will be “Steelers are great” and “Pickett is Mr. Clutch”. SuperBowl or bust! We already know Watt is the true MVP this year.

If Friermuth comes back this week… is he smoke? Or mirrors?

Asking for a friend.
If you’re starting any Steelers offensive player, you’re likely in trouble. They have not had 400 total yards of offense in any single game over the past 3ish years. Reminding you of this stat as a friend. ;)

Wow. Back to PJ as the starter?
I mean, I'm not 100% sure that using a backup QB hurts the Browns...
I said this a while back in another thread. I mean PJ Walker stinks really bad but his record as starter this season was 2-1 and let's not forget that Watson was a big reason the Steelers won in week 2: 1 pick, 2 fumbles lost, 6 sacks and 2 personal foul penalties

Where is the safety? He has DJ or Pickens though for a TD.
First look lock. Whatever the first read was, he would stare it down until they got open or the pocket collapsed. It was sad to watch.

He's gone through progressions properly in the past, not sure what's going on with him. If he got too jumpy after some bad weeks of O-line play, or just regressed. Either way, in theory, his coaches should be working on this and it should improve. Not sure it will, but it should.

Where is the safety? He has DJ or Pickens though for a TD.
First look lock. Whatever the first read was, he would stare it down until they got open or the pocket collapsed. It was sad to watch.

He's gone through progressions properly in the past, not sure what's going on with him. If he got too jumpy after some bad weeks of O-line play, or just regressed. Either way, in theory, his coaches should be working on this and it should improve. Not sure it will, but it should.
Unfortunately I don't think this week will be the one where he improves. Browns are going to be bringing the pressure and Kenny is either going with the first read or tucking the ball to run.

Welp this week has certainly been a fortunate turn of events for the Steelers. At this point, I expect that we're going to win the division.

Welp this week has certainly been a fortunate turn of events for the Steelers. At this point, I expect that we're going to win the division.
Agreed. What as once shaping up as. a 4 team race is now down to 2 teams. Browns and Bengals are cooked. With Andrews out for the Ravens, their offense takes a big hit. Even without QB talent, Pittsburgh should have no trouble winning the division and being home in the playoffs.

Just saw this tweet/X:

QBs it looks like the Steelers are lining up to play the next five weeks:
Dorian Thompson-Robinson
Jake Browning
Kyler Murray
Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe
Gardner Minshew

Agreed. What as once shaping up as. a 4 team race is now down to 2 teams. Browns and Bengals are cooked. With Andrews out for the Ravens, their offense takes a big hit. Even without QB talent, Pittsburgh should have no trouble winning the division and being home in the playoffs.
I have a funny feeling that DT Robinson is going to be ok for CLE. And it's possible TN releases Tannihill. Don't think CLE is done.

Just saw this tweet/X:

QBs it looks like the Steelers are lining up to play the next five weeks:
Dorian Thompson-Robinson
Jake Browning
Kyler Murray
Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe
Gardner Minshew
And it looks like Andrews might be out for the year, Lamar's most reliable target.

We're losing all of our ILBs and are missing our best player in the Secondary, but lots of other teams getting hit hard by injury too.

Practice Squad it is: Trenton Thompson to start against the Browns.

Steelers also talking to Myles Jack for a possible return for ILB depth

Pickett is terrible. They should bench him — should have mid-game.

Everything was bad today other than Warren, but the last possession was just absolutely pathetic and unacceptable. No time off the clock and put Browns in great field position.

Hopefully they realize Pickett isn’t the answer and we sign Cousins or something next season until a real heir arrives.

And there are the clowns of ESPN saying Tomlin should be coach of the year. They say look at what he has done with this roster. He is responsible mostly for the roster, it's comical.

I missed the game but recorded it. I got the alert so now know what happened. Seems like there is no reason to watch it.
Same ****, different day.

Pickett stared down 1st options and looked like the 5th round rookie should've looked. Under 100 net passing yards.

Downfield routes were either nonexistent or not attempted

Jaylen Warren looked like the Steelers best option but touched the ball only 12 times.

Wasted timeouts early that could've come in handy at the end of the game.

Bend but don't break defense bent way too much at the end.

I'd delete the recording so you don't accidentally watch any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread