What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

Play calling or scared qb...
It can be both.

And both things probably should change by next week. They wont...thats an almost absolute guarantee...but doesn't change the fact that they probably should.
No chance anything changes, it's an absolute****show. Gee, I really hope we have a chance at finishing above.500. That would be so great. That's the Steelers Superbowl now, just not having a losing record.

Pickett went from subpar to horrible year 1 to year 2.

Officials help Steelers weekly, but missing an obvious safety wasn't enough for them to pull off another fluke win.

I think the worst thing about all of this is listening to quotes from Najee, Diontae, Pickens, etc, they’re clearly deflated with the coaching staff. I expect this will turn very ugly from this point forward. The luck has probably run out and I see a lot of anger/hostility in that locker room. Tomlin of course comes out with his typical quotes that add zero hope.

I missed the game but recorded it. I got the alert so now know what happened. Seems like there is no reason to watch it.
OMG me too!!! I tortured myself to bad golf

That makes 3 of us! Lol.

I couldn’t resist checking the score and then once I saw the stats there’s no way I’m watching that game.
I’m thinking of torturing myself and watching some of it lol. Just so I can confirm how bad Pickett really is.

Also, I’m interested in watching to see if Broderick Jones continued to progress.

I think the worst thing about all of this is listening to quotes from Najee, Diontae, Pickens, etc, they’re clearly deflated with the coaching staff. I expect this will turn very ugly from this point forward. The luck has probably run out and I see a lot of anger/hostility in that locker room. Tomlin of course comes out with his typical quotes that add zero hope.
And this same charade will go on on and on and on. All of these idiot media people mainly like ESPN don't actually watch any of the game. Saying he's one of the top coaches in the league. Not here, not anymore. He needs to go.

Last edited:
Noodle arm who locks on one side of the field and then checks down or panics and gets sacked. He is already 25 years old. Pull the plug. Put him on IR with a rib injury to save face and play Rudolph and plan for next season.

I missed the game but recorded it. I got the alert so now know what happened. Seems like there is no reason to watch it.
OMG me too!!! I tortured myself to bad golf

That makes 3 of us! Lol.

I couldn’t resist checking the score and then once I saw the stats there’s no way I’m watching that game.
I’m thinking of torturing myself and watching some of it lol. Just so I can confirm how bad Pickett really is.

Also, I’m interested in watching to see if Broderick Jones continued to progress.
Big pulling block on the best play of the game. Line was mostly bad though.

I’m watching it now lol. I can’t believe the refs did not call that first play a safety. I also can’t believe the Browns didn’t challenge it.

Pickett plays like a guy who only had one good year of college football while throwing to arguably the best WR in the nation against a relatively weak football conference.

It was a reach when they drafted him that's going to set the franchise back for a while, and it's not like the last 7 years have been anything special. The last 13 years with a 3-7 postseason record haven't been either.

This team is such bad a bad place. It gets worse every year, they aren't even close to being on the same stratosphere as the good teams in the league. But hey, lets see if they can stick with this clown to say look at us, we've only had 3 coaches in a hundred years. Marvin lewis anyone?? Where is he now??

I don't think I've ever done this in my life, I've always been there's always a chance (chip&a chair) mentality. But I think I want this season to just implode. Go 6-11 and that shakes some things up

I don't think I've ever done this in my life, I've always been there's always a chance (chip&a chair) mentality. But I think I want this season to just implode. Go 6-11 and that shakes some things up
Best way to do that is to stick with Pickett/Canada for the remainder of the year. I still think they need to keep playing Pickett. This is a lost season and they wasted a first round pick on the guy. Trubisky and Rudolph are not going to be saviors. Just keep giving Pickett experience and QB competition next year with the hopes of drafting the future QB before the 25/26 season. The Steelers will still probably end up with a couple more wins so I’m guessing they’ll be drafting in the mid to late teens. Get the best player available.

Your backups are there for a reason when you're starting QB is sharding the bed and needs to be benched. Otherwise, why employ them. Are the Steelers going to continue to reward Pickett's poor performance with continuous starts. Mitch is making 8 million to carry a clip board. Mason at 1 million.

Leroy love that chart which basically show's Pickens running cardio routes. How hard is it for the OC to have Picken's run routes trying for mismatches on LB in the middle of the field.

Again those are routes where the player was targeted. Sure Pickett didn't complete any in the middle but that doesn't mean no one ran a route in the middle of the field

I wish there was a breakdown of all routes run - not where the ball was thrown

Your backups are there for a reason when you're starting QB is sharding the bed and needs to be benched. Otherwise, why employ them. Are the Steelers going to continue to reward Pickett's poor performance with continuous starts. Mitch is making 8 million to carry a clip board. Mason at 1 million.

Leroy love that chart which basically show's Pickens running cardio routes. How hard is it for the OC to have Picken's run routes trying for mismatches on LB in the middle of the field.

And they had Picken 1-on-1 on that disasterous play where Pickett threw to Warren who ran right into 3 defenders. Kenny never looked anywhere else at all. He is as much to blame as Canada at this point. I always hated that draft pick but hoped he would prove me wrong. After pre-season, I was excited, but now I am over him completely. We are wasting Watt, Heyward, and Minkah.

Again those are routes where the player was targeted. Sure Pickett didn't complete any in the middle but that doesn't mean no one ran a route in the middle of the field

I wish there was a breakdown of all routes run - not where the ball was thrown
But isn’t Pickett just going to his first read every play? If that’s the case, the moron isn’t calling any plays to be targeted to the middle. And every defense knows that.

If you have a 1 read QB, the coach needs to add some variety/creativity to the play calling. I’m getting real close to being in the fire Tomlin camp. If he can’t see how bad Canada is by now, he’s a major part of the problem.

Out of respect for Heyward and Watt, Tomlin needs to make a dramatic move or two . . . .
The time to make the dramatic move was after last season, and the Steelers f***ed up. I'm not sure if it's Rooney or Tomlin's fault, but we should have fired Canada AND Austin. Our defense is set up to fail on many plays also, the offense is just so bad most people don't seem to notice. We should have hired Flores as DC and Slowik as OC, F***. With Heyward, Highsmith, and Watt up front, how are we not getting more pressure against a team missing their two starting OTs?

Mason Cole suuuuuuucks. There was 1 play in particular where Warren was running and Cole was ahead of him. There was 1 defender between Warren and the end zone, and Cole ran past him. He didn't appear to even really try and block him. If he had blocked him we'd have been up 14-10. Why even bother pulling into space ahead of the RB if you're just going to lumber down the field like an idiot.

I am also one of the last Tomlin apologists, but he's making it really hard this season. The press conference after the game was so f***in tone deaf. The offense sucks, Warren should have had more touches. The 2nd to last drive started on the 50 and we didn't do anything, the last drive took 14 seconds and didn't move, and the player who had been gashing the D wasn't used at all. Three straight passes to Diontae who is clearly not on the same page as Kenny.

Also, with 465 yards in the LAST 4 GAMES COMBINED, it's really freakin hard not to write Kenny off. They need to fire Canada now to see if Kenny can do anything with a different play caller. Per Najee's quote, the defense definitely knows what's coming on most plays. Yes, a very talented team might still be able to win at the point of execution, but we're not that. We have mediocre talent at QB & offensive line, so we need to have a solid scheme.

Steps to take this week to turn the season around:
  1. Fire Canada
  2. Bench Mason Cole for Herbig
  3. Try Kenny against the Bengals with New OC. If he doesn't surpass 250 yards passing and win the game, bench him for Rudolph. (If Kenny's ribs are holding him back, put him on IR)
  4. Tomlin take over DC play calling
Having a defense that includes Minkah, Heyward, Watt, and Highsmith will cover for a lot of crappy play, but like Najee said, how long can a team really keep winning like this? The Steelers have 6 come from behind wins... and just 6 wins.

If you have a 1 read QB, the coach needs to add some variety/creativity to the play calling. I’m getting real close to being in the fire Tomlin camp. If he can’t see how bad Canada is by now, he’s a major part of the problem.
All the buzz is that Tomlin doesn't have permission to fire him from the Rooneys, and that's why Canada came back this year at all. Not sure if that's true or not.

I've thought that for a couple months now.

Winning just enough to not suck is getting really old, but not to the people who make decisions.

He's been a major part of the problem for a long time now.

6 wins already, and probably 2 more, at worst, removes them from the top tier of QB picks. I doubt the trade up for a QB, just because they are invested in Pickett.
But without a good QB, you dont win the in the NFL.
And since Ben, they havent drafted even good backup QBs. So there is no guarantee whoever they might draft be any good.
They are in a bad cycle of mid level ball. Its bordering on a disaster here. Old school mentality from top down(it not 1972 anymore), bad coaches, bad draft picks, underachieving players, stars getting older on defense. To rebuild an offense and defense at the same time is not a good place to be.

Yes but Canada gave Tomlins kid a scholarship to play at Maryland and I believe that was his only D1 offer.

You can’t get rid of Canada!!!!! 🙃

The dynamic duo of Kenny Pickett and the OC are failing miserably. The wonder twins can't help them. It's been a no brainer since the OC's hire that he was unqualified and needs to go. The OC is making $700,000. So, if you're blaming both. At least make a change on the lower cost employee. I'd be fine seeing Pickett with new coordinator. But the longer Pickett and the OC stay together it only worsens Kenny's long-term prospects.

Rooney's are notoriously cheap there not super deep pocket owners. But you can't tell me that the Rooney's can't afford to eat the OC's contract. Heck Steeler's fans would support a GoFundMe page of Fire Canada help Rooney's eat his salary.

The OC has a $600,000 bonus if he leads the team to the super bowl. OMG really hahahaha The OC needs ChatGPT, COPilot or whatever flavor of AI to help him keep his job.

All the buzz is that Tomlin doesn't have permission to fire him from the Rooneys, and that's why Canada came back this year at all. Not sure if that's true or not.
That's crazy to think that a veteran coach like Tomlin doesn't have the right to make personnel decisions.

Rooney's are notoriously cheap there not super deep pocket owners. But you can't tell me that the Rooney's can't afford to eat the OC's contract. Heck Steeler's fans would support a GoFundMe page of Fire Canada help Rooney's eat his salary.
Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you'll do it, aka, why people call him cheap.

He spends on players, but usually won't give guarantees. We have the smallest coaching staff in the NFL. Our facilities were rated really poorly by players. Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread