What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (2 Viewers)

To everyone saying, "Does it matter?" "They still have bad QBs." etc. etc. It matters a TON. This gives the Steelers a chance to review the QBs with a different OC and gives the new OC an interim shot. I 1000% hope we hire the next OC from outside the organization, but I think if we let Canada go at the end of the year, we'd have just promoted from within.

This should allow us to confirm if KP is completely ruined and show that we really need an outside OC. It gives me a small amount of hope that we'll make true changes this offseason.

If Rooney did step in and fire him, thanks, you're 2.5 years late, but thanks.

Now they need to sit KP on the bench for a few weeks. He's obviously regressed and completely shell shocked. Let him hold a clipboard for a few weeks then bring him back at the end of the season. I don't think it will help their record, but it might save KP long term.

Now they need to sit KP on the bench for a few weeks. He's obviously regressed and completely shell shocked. Let him hold a clipboard for a few weeks then bring him back at the end of the season. I don't think it will help their record, but it might save KP long term.
But don’t we want to see what he can do with a new coordinator? Why bench him now?
I'm going to fire him in my Madden game also

I hated taking KP in the first round last year and have been hoping he’d change my mind. That said, it is VERY possible Canada was coaching KP to play it simple and follow his telegraphed play design. We don’t know what’s happening behind the steel curtain.

I believe it’s possible this move can allow Pickett to play like his preseason self. Might be a short leash (half a game short) at this point but he needs a shot. Stop the spin moves. Read the D and trust your teammates. That said, Mitch better keep his helmet at the ready.

But don’t we want to see what he can do with a new coordinator? Why bench him now?
That's why you bring him back after a few games. The new coordinator can change whatever plays he wants, it's not going to fix the way KP is playing (scared, no confidence, panicked, and any other crappy adjective you want to use).

Dawand Jones faced TJ Watt 19 times on pass plays. Allowed zero sacks and zero pressures. I saw him drop Watt to the ground and smother him one on one.

Wish we’d have him on our side to shut down Myles instead.

They shouldn't drop KP.

He's the only guy on that roster who is the potential future QB. Trubisky isn't, Rudolph isn't.

I don't think he is the Steelers future QB but you give him the rest of the season to show it, and if he doesn't you enter the off season knowing you need a QB fix. No point wasting time on guys who have shown they are not it already and additionally miss out on giving KP time so you can make a more informed judgement on him.

Yep, they've got to play Kenny the rest of the year. IMO, it is make or break time for him. Bring in a fresh OC and if Kenny still cannot make the throws then it is on to the next man.

Yep, they've got to play Kenny the rest of the year. IMO, it is make or break time for him. Bring in a fresh OC and if Kenny still cannot make the throws then it is on to the next man.
It doesn't necessarily have to be the rest of the year. If he is equally as bad in the next 3 games, give another QB a shot.

BUT, we need him to play enough so we know going into next season if he 100% is not the right guy moving forward. Right now it feels like we know 95%, but we need that last 5%.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the rest of the year. If he is equally as bad in the next 3 games, give another QB a shot.

BUT, we need him to play enough so we know going into next season if he 100% is not the right guy moving forward. Right now it feels like we know 95%, but we need that last 5%.
I just don't see where it makes sense to bench him later in the year. You either give him a break now or he plays. For better for worse, he's the future. No one on the roster is or will be markedly better IMO.

The offense wasn't working, and the play calling was bad. Firing the OC was the right call. KP has to have another chance under a different OC to see if he improves. I hope he does he seems like a nice guy who works hard. But the NFL is a numbers game. It's all about winning and stats. You simply can't hide the fans won't let you. KP's stats are so atrocious. For Kenny this is where the rubber meets the road. He needs to prove himself and his stats need to improve. Otherwise, Mitch or Mason will be called upon and next year the Steeler's will be looking for a franchise QB. You're paying a backup QB 8 million he better have better stats than KP or they need to look for a new backup next year as well. Mason, you have pennies on the dollar. He's making 1 million a year. Mason put himself out there on the market and yes nobody wanted Mason and yes, he came back with his tail between his legs. Next year Omar needs to work his magic and get better value from this offensive line. We are way overpaying some of those guys. Offensive line positional spending the Steelers are paying 43 million which ranks as the 7th highest paid line in the league. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/ The Steelers offensive line ranking is 23rd.

I just don't see where it makes sense to bench him later in the year. You either give him a break now or he plays. For better for worse, he's the future. No one on the roster is or will be markedly better IMO.
It makes sense if we think we still have a shot to make the playoffs and Kenny is CLEARLY still horrible. If Kenny is still under 200 yards a game and looks awful, put Rudolph or Mitch out there just to see if we can do anything and have a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise, just play KP the remaining games and truly see what we have.

Darius Leonard reportedly released…can the Steelers get him please?

They are signing Blake Martinez.
Also, I think Leonard will hit the waiver wire, so we can put in a claim, but other teams would have first dibs.

Either way, I don't think Martinez or Jack should prevent us from putting in a bid.
Appears that his play has dipped a fair amount this year, so I don't think a claim would be a good idea. But definitely inquire about signing.

If I was him, I'd rather sign with a team headed to the playoffs with a chance at a SB. Especially if it's just a contract for the rest of this year.

Heard lots of drama. I expect Pickett to have a short leash ….
This makes perfect sense. Steelers can do some damage in playoffs THIS postseason with good QB play. If Pickett continues playing like he did against Cleveland, it’s disrespectful to the rest of the team to keep him as the starter.

Anyone have any insight on how this impacts the RB committee or WR targets?
With the RB coach making the game plan, I'd expect more runs. Also, hopefully, Najee will have a better YPC because it won't be blatantly obvious every time he's going to run the ball.

Sullivan was not good his last 2 attempts at OC, I'm putting more hope in Faulkner as the unknown.

Dawand Jones faced TJ Watt 19 times on pass plays. Allowed zero sacks and zero pressures. I saw him drop Watt to the ground and smother him one on one.

Wish we’d have him on our side to shut down Myles instead.
Dawand is not just good, he's VERY GOOD (ala Bagman Maverick).
A few years back when Myles was early in his career, whenever Ravens massive LT Orlando Brown got his hands on Myles he would be able to handle him, not take him to the ground but he always did a great job handling Myles with his looooong arms and strength. Myles has added lots of tricks and has gotten even stronger, he really is a monster.
TJ is fantastic but Dawand is like Orlando Brown in his massiveness and his reach, but TJ is smaller than Myles and if he comes up against a mountain like Dawand he has to use all of his weight on his lean to take the edge. Right before his first NFL start going up against TJ Dawand said he thought that he knew a strategy and it seemed to work. I think it was the same strategy that Orlando Brown used against Myles where he gets his hands on TJ but Watt isn't as big as Myles so if Orlando finds his center of gravity he can take him down.
DJ is a homerun late pick working out better than anyone expected.

Last year the Patriots didn't name an OC but Belichick used defensive coach Matt Patricia as a pseudo OC as the play caller and QB Mac Jones struggled. Bill fired/replaced Patricia and RE-hired Bill O'Brien as the OC with the understanding/hope that Mac Jones would 'blossom'... We've seen the results.
Pittsburgh fires Matt Canada with the understanding/hope that a new OC will mentor QB Kenny Pickett and he'll 'blossom'...
I think KP will get another season as the starter and can see it go the 'Patriot' way.

This was one piece of the drama I was alluding to last week.

Canada gone and offense gets 100 yards. Coincidence? I think not. May not bode well for Tomlin but ultimately probably doesn’t mean anything for him.

Nice to see Pickett attempt passes dowfield and use the area between the hashes. He was low on a few crosses, DJ bailed him out on one.

Warren needs more touches.

400+ yards and a win is nice. Winning by more than 6 against a Bengals team without Burrow, Higgins, and some defensive starters would have been too, but baby steps....

Users who are viewing this thread