What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers select WR Ricky Pearsall (3 Viewers)

If you guys could sign Derek Carr to a relatively team-friendly deal and then flip Trey Lance (with a post-June-1st designation) for a 1st rounder plus maybe a third or a fourth; or something like two 2nds, would you do it? I ask b/c I actually think Shanahan could do wonders with Carr inserted into your existing offense.

POST-6/1 TRADE (Lance)
2023 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2024 Dead Cap: $5,540,959
2023 Cap Savings: $3,760,480
No because there is zero reason or chance they would trade Lance. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
As previously mentioned in other topics, Lance costs the 49ers $20M if they release him, and $9M if he’s on the roster in 2023.
And no team is gonna offer anything for a QB that has 4 starts, has had a major injury, and hasn't even proven he can play in this league yet.

I don't know any GM that would give anything close to a first round pick for Lance at this point.

Lance costs the 49ers $20M if they release him, and $9M if he’s on the roster in 2023

Sportrac shows $5.5 MM in dead money in each of '23 and '24 if Lance is traded after June 1, with $3.7 MM in cap savings for '23. Carr wants $35 MM per, but if I'm him, I'd take a prove it deal with the Niners, with incentives ratcheting if I prove it. I think his odds of proving it are WAY higher with certain teams than others, with the Niners being at the top of that list.

This of course hinges on how the Niners brass would feel about Carr over Purdy at what would be for sure a higher cost, even best case - and how much they could get back for Lance. If more than a handful of GMs held Lance as a top-five talent two years ago, I could see some GMs still valuing him pretty highly, as save for injuries, he hasn't done anything to disprove his predraft evaluation as a raw but extremely high-upside talent. This isn't a Zach Wilson situation. Josh Rosen fetched a 2nd and 5th after looking like a turd his rookie season. Lance has shown glimpses of a lot more, albeit brief.

Either way, if you go with Carr or stick with Lance - if either blow up, you will have to pay them big money in '24 and beyond. The only value play here is Purdy.

Either way, if you go with Carr or stick with Lance - if either blow up, you will have to pay them big money in '24 and beyond. The only value play here is Purdy.
Again, Carr is wanting $35M so you can pretty well remove him from this equation.

Good as Gould is good as gone.

Robbie Gould, one of the most reliable kickers in NFL history, most likely has played his final game with the 49ers.

Gould on Saturday confirmed to NBC Sports Bay Area that he intended to move on after playing six seasons with the club.

Gould said he will “be kicking elsewhere in 2023,” Adam Schefter of ESPN first reported on Saturday. Gould confirmed to NBC Sports Bay Area his plan to not re-sign with the 49ers for another season.

Report: Matt Ryan, Jacoby Brissett, and Andy Dalton are options the 49ers are considering​

Vomit.gif
They're all a lot better than Josh Johnson
Yep. I’m not thrilled with the notion that the Niners need to roster (at least) three QBs who are capable of winning games, but that seems to be where we find ourselves.

Per Lombardi:

Frank Clark
Bud Dupree
Leonard Floyd

... all added to list of presumably available edge rushers in upcoming free agency.

Marcus Davenport
Yannick Ngakoue
Charles Omenihu
Samson Ebukam
Arden Key
Jadeveon Clowney
Brandon Graham
Melvin Ingram
Justin Houston

Who'll the 49ers nab?

Per Maiocco:

Brock Purdy is scheduled for elbow surgery on Friday, reports @jenniferleechan.

If all goes as expected (planned, hoped), it's a six-month recovery/rehab. That would place his full clearance (24 weeks) at Aug. 25. The season opener is Sept. 10.

Per Maiocco:

Brock Purdy is scheduled for elbow surgery on Friday, reports @jenniferleechan.

If all goes as expected (planned, hoped), it's a six-month recovery/rehab. That would place his full clearance (24 weeks) at Aug. 25. The season opener is Sept. 10.
As a biased Lance owner in Fantasy football and sports cards, I just don't see him being ready by the start of the season, with everything having to go right at a minimum. Are there any recent comparisons of QBs that have gone thru something like this?

Lombardi:

The 49ers were awarded an extra 7th-round comp pick today.

Think that's not a big deal? Think again: SF used a 7th-round comp pick last year — obtained via C.J. Beathard's departure — on Brock Purdy.

The NFL awarded 37 compensatory picks for the 2023 draft and 7 of them went to the 49ers:

Round 3, No. 99 overall)
Round 3, No. 101
Round 3, No. 102
Round 5, No. 173
Round 6, No. 216
Round 7, No. 253
Round 7, No. 255

The 49ers are 3% of the league but they earned 18% of its comp picks.

These are the 49ers' 11 total picks for next month:

Round 3, No. 99
Round 3, No. 101
Round 3, No. 102
Round 5, No. 155 (from MIA)
Round 5, No. 164
Round 5, No. 173
Round 6, No. 216
Round 7, No. 222 (from DEN)
Round 7, No. 247
Round 7, No. 253
Round 7, No. 255

Lombardi:

The 49ers were awarded an extra 7th-round comp pick today.

Think that's not a big deal? Think again: SF used a 7th-round comp pick last year — obtained via C.J. Beathard's departure — on Brock Purdy.

The NFL awarded 37 compensatory picks for the 2023 draft and 7 of them went to the 49ers:

Round 3, No. 99 overall)
Round 3, No. 101
Round 3, No. 102
Round 5, No. 173
Round 6, No. 216
Round 7, No. 253
Round 7, No. 255

The 49ers are 3% of the league but they earned 18% of its comp picks.

These are the 49ers' 11 total picks for next month:

Round 3, No. 99
Round 3, No. 101
Round 3, No. 102
Round 5, No. 155 (from MIA)
Round 5, No. 164
Round 5, No. 173
Round 6, No. 216
Round 7, No. 222 (from DEN)
Round 7, No. 247
Round 7, No. 253
Round 7, No. 255
That's a helluva haul. Gotta feel the Eagles will be in a similar spot next year, considering the amount of FA losses we are expected to lose. Got a couple of minority coordinators as well, which gets you 3rds in consecutive years if/when they leave for HC spots. Nice work here by the Niners staff for sure.

49er Twitter:

49ers awarded a league-high seven comp picks this year. They could get five (four for free-agent departures, one third rounder for Carthon/Ryans hires) in the 2024 draft.

The 49ers have only 2 of their original selections remaining yet they've found a way to have 11 total picks in the 2023 draft. The numbers are just wild all around.

49ers avoided restricted free agent (RFA) tender process and instead signed O-lineman Colton McKivitz to a 2-year extension. Should save SF precious 2023 salary-cap space and insulate a RT position that'll likely lose Mike McGlinchey.

SF can still add more players for that spot

From Peter Kings Football Morning in America

the best news the Niners could have gotten from Brock Purdy’s elbow surgery was that it didn’t have to be massively invasive, and there is optimism that he should be able to throw the football without restriction in five to six months. Just another reason why San Francisco won’t overreact and spend/draft significantly on a quarterback. This also gives Trey Lance a runway to be the number one guy through the offseason, with the reps and responsibility that entails. Overall, good news for Kyle Shanahan.

Link

One would hope surgery is successful because that is the expectation. I always think of the ‘Married with Children’ episode where Al goes in for a circular incision and instead gets a circumcision. Lol. Not a successful surgery
Looking forward to hearing how Purdy’s recovery goes
Yeah. Don’t think I have ever hear “that surgery sucked” afterward.

I miss Married with Children. Couldn’t be made today. Especially the shoe store scenes with Al and Griff making fun of the overweight women.

Speaking of shows that couldn't be made today, at the top of the list would probably be "All in the Family".

Close to the top anyway.

Sanford and Son was pretty raw. Randomly watched a couple episodes a while back and was blown away.

But I digress.

The Pittsburgh Steelers made Hargrave (6-2, 305) a third-round selection (No. 89 overall) out of South Carolina State in 2016. He registered 60 tackles, 10 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, 16 quarterback hits, two passes defensed, and a forced fumble through 17 starts with the Eagles last season.

One of the top free agents, Im surprised we made a splash signing this quick, but Marathe will make the numbers work like he always does.

Did we need interior DL help? Yes we did.

QB pressures by 49ers interior linemen last season:

Armstead 20
Hyder 14
Givens 13
McGill 10
Ridgeway 8
Kinlaw 5
Spence 3
Dwumfour 2

Javon Hargrave had 57 QB pressures last year.

Lombardi:

Javon Hargrave (22 sacks in 2 seasons at DT!) was a massive catalyst of Philly's D-line, which featured the best pass rush in the NFL.

The 49ers' biggest 2022 weakness was pass rush from the interior D-line.

Has a move in the fight for NFC supremacy ever made more sense?

Another one locked up, and on the cheap (y)

Per Matt Barrows:

49ers making more moves along the defensive line: They’ve signed Kevin Givens to a one-year, $2.1M deal with $2M guaranteed, per source.

Hargrave reportedly had better offers and was debating between Cleveland and SF, ended up taking less money to go to a real franchise with a real shot at a ring.

#Texans #Bears #Giants #Browns #Jets and #49ers have all displayed interest in veteran center Jake Brendel, per a league source. Competitive situation in center market

Brendel's market seems to be surging, which is what you'd expect after the excellent year that he delivered for the 49ers.

Will SF be able to afford to keep Brendel? This is a significant domino.

- Lombardi and Aaron Wilson via Twitter

Did we need interior DL help? Yes we did.

QB pressures by 49ers interior linemen last season:

Armstead 20
Hyder 14
Givens 13
McGill 10
Ridgeway 8
Kinlaw 5
Spence 3
Dwumfour 2

Javon Hargrave had 57 QB pressures last year.
Finally should fill that void that Buckner leaving created.

49ers signing Sam Darnold to a 1 yr deal

Loving the signings so far. That said I hope Darnold never sees the field other than garbage time.

I'm hearing Javon Kinlaw is on the teading block but honestly I don't know why any team would want him or give anything for him.

Lombardi:

Sam Darnold's adjusted net yards per attempt (factors in TDs + INTs) per season....

2018: 5.2
2019: 5.9
2020: 5.0
2021: 5.3
2022: 7.1

INT rates per year...

2018: 3.6%
2019: 2.9%
2020: 3.0%
2021: 3.2%
2022: 2.1%

You can be sure that the 49ers were intrigued by the 2022 surge.

Darnold played for Steve Wilks in Carolina, so SFs new DC has familiarity with him. Wilks was Carolinas interim head coach for 12 games last season. Darnold started the last 6 games going 4-2 with a 92.6 rating.

Last edited:
Ages of 49ers' quarterbacks:

Sam Darnold: 25
Brock Purdy: 23
Trey Lance: 22

Youngest and cheapest QB room in the league? Gotta be, no? And still a top SB contender.

49ers signing Sam Darnold to a 1 yr deal

Loving the signings so far. That said I hope Darnold never sees the field other than garbage time.

Love this move compared to Matt Ryan or Dalton. Wouldn't have minded Jacoby, but Darnold is at least a respectable backup.

49ers checklist:

pass-rush firepower ✅
Vet QB depth ✅
Safety ✅
O-line depth that can compete at RT
Center
Kicker
Nickelback

Users who are viewing this thread