What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (2 Viewers)

I prefer to not trade up, as well, but if the cost is the 2nd they got for Diggs, I see it as a wash. (Surely the rookie won't do what Diggs can do, yet, but he'll cost much less for 4 years.) That's more or less even in my mind, so I don't mind if they do that. If they start throwing in another 2, or even a 1, I'll be a bit more skeptical.
I think to get one of Odunze or Nabers they’d have to give up this year’s 1st and 3rd and next year’s 1st at minimum. Maybe trading back and forth some lower picks as part of that as well. It’s going to be really expensive to trade up in this draft with so many QB needy teams and so many good OL that teams may want to trade up for (not to mention the WRs of course)
Totally agree. Would be really expensive unless one falls for some reason.

Interesting. Bills may have their choice of the non-top 3 WRs. Or they could trade down. Should be interesting to see how much they like who is left at WR. The fact they haven’t traded up yet tells me that they don’t LOVE love any of them.

One of the 10 cheapest 1st round non-QB tradeups in the last 20 years. The Bills net just a 6th round pick equivalent value to let the Chiefs take a guy at Buffalo’s biggest position of need. Yeah, that won’t haunt them for the next 5 years.

Maybe it’s a trap? Maybe the Bills know that Worthy is a bust, and they were willing to let KC make the mistake before Dallas could?

Seems like Beane had the last few WRs picked as well as a few still on the board ranked roughly equal so why not improve your position through the rest of the draft?

Hate it for the Bills. Absolutely hate trading with KC of all teams, too.

Now... That being said... Franklin is still on the board, so me for me the best WR (after the big 3) survived rnd1.

Move the F up and nab him, NOW

Now... That being said... Franklin is still on the board, so me for me the best WR (after the big 3) survived rnd1.

They have the first pick in the 2nd round now, no need to move up. In fact, I could see them deciding to slide back 4-5 more slots even if he’s the guy they want.

It certainly feels like the Bills wanted to trade up to get somebody in particular, were unable to do so, and didn't care much for who was left. Beane obviously has a lower opinion of Worthy and Legette than most. Obviously I would have preferred that they got whoever it was that they wanted, but I'm glad they didn't reach for another Kair Elam.

There are still several viable WRs available, and I'd be very happy with Cooper DeJean at this point too.

They have the first pick in the 2nd round now, no need to move up. In fact, I could see them deciding to slide back 4-5 more slots even if he’s the guy they want.

If you end up with Franklin and the improved picks from trading down, you won big time.

Why are you guys so high on Franklin? I’d prefer Ladd or Coleman or even Mitchell over him.
I’m not doubting you, just curious what I’m missing.

Why are you guys so high on Franklin? I’d prefer Ladd or Coleman or even Mitchell over him.

I think Coleman is a lock for a bust. Just my opinion and don't wish it on him, I just don't like what I see from him.
Ladd is good too, he'd be a fine pick.

Franklin is just different... Perfect for Allen's big arm.

I think it is pretty clear that Beane didn't like Worthy or Legette enough to avoid making the deal - otherwise why not just pick them? It's possible that Pearsall was one of their targets (no way to know), but even if yes, probably one of several targets. It sounds like Beane was high on the big 3 plus Brian Thomas, but was not willing to give away the farm for any of them. There are probably several WR that Beane has in this range that he would consider picking and can't really make up his mind which one.

My own inclination is that if they have to pick here, it will be either DeJean or Powers-Johnson, and I think DeJean is the most likely, with the plan being to move him to safety, where he would probably be a Day 1 starter. I don't think the Bills view any of the remaining WR as a Day 1 starter, which is why they are willing to go back rather than pull the trigger. DeJean is the consensus BPA regardless of need, and safety is a big need for the Bills, so to me that makes the most sense here.

I think it is pretty clear that Beane didn't like Worthy or Legette enough to avoid making the deal - otherwise why not just pick them? It's possible that Pearsall was one of their targets (no way to know), but even if yes, probably one of several targets. It sounds like Beane was high on the big 3 plus Brian Thomas, but was not willing to give away the farm for any of them. There are probably several WR that Beane has in this range that he would consider picking and can't really make up his mind which one.

My own inclination is that if they have to pick here, it will be either DeJean or Powers-Johnson, and I think DeJean is the most likely, with the plan being to move him to safety, where he would probably be a Day 1 starter. I don't think the Bills view any of the remaining WR as a Day 1 starter, which is why they are willing to go back rather than pull the trigger. DeJean is the consensus BPA regardless of need, and safety is a big need for the Bills, so to me that makes the most sense here.
DeJean also offers some positional flexibility, which this regime seems to view as a pretty clear plus. So does Powers-Johnson of course, but that we know how McDermott loves his DBs. My guess is that he has big plans for DeJean.

We currently have a whole lot of nothing at safety, and our whole secondary is in need of a rebuild (except for CB1 and nickel, of course). DeJean sounds like the sort of guy who you can build around. What's not to like?

We can still grab a WR in round 2. We have the ammo to trade up if we need to.

DeJean also offers some positional flexibility, which this regime seems to view as a pretty clear plus. So does Powers-Johnson of course, but that we know how McDermott loves his DBs. My guess is that he has big plans for DeJean.

We currently have a whole lot of nothing at safety, and our whole secondary is in need of a rebuild (except for CB1 and nickel, of course). DeJean sounds like the sort of guy who you can build around. What's not to like?

We can still grab a WR in round 2. We have the ammo to trade up if we need to.
Take DeJean, trade up to the mid-40s for a WR, hopefully Franklin is still there.

I still like Ladd McConkey, as my #5 WR, and I think he would fit this offense well. That said, if the Bills trade back again, I won't be upset. There are still quite a few WRs with a lot of potential.

Not sure how I feel about taking a defensive player first. In today's NFL I'd rather sure up the offense, and then focus on defense.

I think Coleman is a lock for a bust. Just my opinion and don't wish it on him, I just don't like what I see from him.

Please be wrong. Please be wrong….

Don’t love the Coleman pick but we shall see. Would love if they double dipped and took Franklin, but doubt they go back to back WR.

Rakestraw still available just a few picks away. NFL.com’s player comp for him is Tre White. I’d be good with that too.

Please be wrong. Please be wrong….
Really not a fan of coleman, but had a gut feeling the bills would love his size.

Hope he works out. Best landing spot for him imo

Not loving what I have seen and read about Coleman at all. Struggles against man and press. Very good when off structure and contested.

About the best thing I read is that he is an upgrade on Davis, and that doesn’t excite me.

Hoping the Bills are going to lean on their other options as their possession guys.

I think it's fair to say he's a better version of Gabe Davis. I think they are hoping that Curtis Samuel will be the replacement for Diggs. I'm sure they don't expect prime-level Diggs from Samuel, but that is the role he will be trying to fill. And we did manage to go on a multi-game winning streak to close out the season without prime-level Diggs on the field. Hopefully we see some continued growth from Shakir and Kincaid. I wouldn't say the Bills have one of the best receiving groups in the league, but I don't think it is as bad as people are making it out to be.

The Bills are in fact attempting to reload on the fly this year, what with the losses of White, Poyer, Hyde, Morse, Davis and Diggs. Trying to get younger and cheaper. As long as JA stays healthy they still have the best odds to win the AFC East. I'm not placing any wagers on them winning a Lombardi this year, but if Lady Luck shines on them it's not out of the question.

So strange that they insist on taking another RB with such an obvious need to hit on some WRs
Man, a person on a different board posted a story from The Athletic about Ray Davis. Here is a quote from it (sorry, I don’t know how to actually quote things).

By 8 he was a ward of the state; by 12 he was living in a homeless shelter with two of his 14 siblings. When he learned a foster family had enough room to take two of them — but not all three — Ray volunteered to stay back so his brother and sister wouldn’t get lost in the system like he was.
His mom was 14 when she got pregnant, 15 when she gave birth.
For most of his childhood, his father, Raymond Davis, couldn’t either. Both parents were in and out of prison for long stretches, leaving Ray largely on his own.

He remembers one afternoon, when he was 8 or 9, being told by a teacher that his father was there to pick him up. “Wait,” Ray said, “I have a dad?”
At 12, without anywhere else to go, he spent two months in a homeless shelter on the bottom floor of Zuckerberg General Hospital and Trauma Center.
Ray would walk his sister to school, then walk back to wherever they were staying. There was no one else to watch his brother. Ray would change his diapers. He’d make sure he was fed.

He was 9.

Thought this was interesting.

I was trying to find quantitative data on the value of the trades, and found a chart that shows what % of players got a second contract in the NFL (data from 2010-2017) based on what round they were picked in.

The results:
Round 1 - 80%
Round 2 - 64%
Round 3 - 48%
Round 4 - 40%
Round 5 - 28%
Round 6 - 20%
Round 7 - 16%

The trades netted a 4th to 3rd round and a 6th to a 5th. Both an increase of 8% likelihood to yield an “NFL” player.

The move up in 7 can’t be quantified by this data.

So strange that they insist on taking another RB with such an obvious need to hit on some WRs
Man, a person on a different board posted a story from The Athletic about Ray Davis. Here is a quote from it (sorry, I don’t know how to actually quote things).

By 8 he was a ward of the state; by 12 he was living in a homeless shelter with two of his 14 siblings. When he learned a foster family had enough room to take two of them — but not all three — Ray volunteered to stay back so his brother and sister wouldn’t get lost in the system like he was.
His mom was 14 when she got pregnant, 15 when she gave birth.
For most of his childhood, his father, Raymond Davis, couldn’t either. Both parents were in and out of prison for long stretches, leaving Ray largely on his own.

He remembers one afternoon, when he was 8 or 9, being told by a teacher that his father was there to pick him up. “Wait,” Ray said, “I have a dad?”
At 12, without anywhere else to go, he spent two months in a homeless shelter on the bottom floor of Zuckerberg General Hospital and Trauma Center.
Ray would walk his sister to school, then walk back to wherever they were staying. There was no one else to watch his brother. Ray would change his diapers. He’d make sure he was fed.

He was 9.
Yeah, it’s just hard to fathom. He’s definitely a guy I’m rooting for, not simply in football but in life.

They do need a second good RB. And, Cook is not a superstar. He could easily be relegated to a 3rd down RB if they find another good RB.
I'd rather sign a street FA (like they did w/ Murray and Ty Johnson) and take a shot at another WR in the draft. But different strokes for different folks

They do need a second good RB. And, Cook is not a superstar. He could easily be relegated to a 3rd down RB if they find another good RB.
I'd rather sign a street FA (like they did w/ Murray and Ty Johnson) and take a shot at another WR in the draft. But different strokes for different folks
Yeah, I think Franklin was still there maybe?
Reading he has possible issues. But at that point, take a chance. His upside is big.

Last edited:
I can't really argue that.

I guess it shouldn’t be surprising as there really have been no updates from the Pegulas, but Tim Graham is reporting that Kim was made Terry’s ward last year and all her assets transferred to a trust that is controlled by Terry and his business partner. She is not expected to ever be able to resume her duties with the Bills.

Sounds like pretty significant brain damage with no hope of recovery. Very sad. She was a great face of the franchise and way more likable than Terry.

Terry transferred a small percent of ownership of the Bills to his daughter Laura and it sounds like she has been taking over a lot of the ownership duties. Jessie had talked years ago about having some interest in being part of things after tennis, but after she wrote her article about her mom’s situation her husband was fired by the Bills and we’ve heard virtually nothing from her since.

Sad terrible situation.

Yeah, I think Franklin was still there maybe?
Reading he has possible issues. But at that point, take a chance. His upside is big.
We have an obvious, glaring need at WR and we passed on Franklin a bunch of times. Beane clearly had a fairly low grade on him, and a bunch of other teams must have as well. I don't have an opinion either way, but if this was a mistake, it was a player evaluation error, not a draft strategy error.

Bills signed Quintez Cephus and Chase Claypool. Feel like there is a good chance one of them makes the team.

I think Keon Coleman is very misrepresented as a prospect. I see a guy whose ceiling is as high as anyone's, he just needs to REALLY iron out his consistency. His size/speed is almost identical to Michael Thomas coming out. I think he's much more that type of WR, than a Gabe Davis type. Not saying he'll be as good as Thomas (who at his peak was arguably the best WR in the NFL) but I think the pick was fine. Maybe he can be similar to Drake London, but with obviously better QB play?

Ray Davis was one of my favorite RB prospects, and his backstory certainly makes him easy to root for. He's one of those guys who isn't super flashy, but consistently gets the job done. As a Bears fan, I think Davis could be a lot like Khalil Herbert. Personally, I found myself very impressed by Ty Johnson down the stretch last season, but his track record suggests not to expect him to stay at that level for long.

Claypool? Definitely the right personality for that WR room. Best of luck Bills
Let’s see if that Chase Claypool Curse is real. I’m hoping getting traded and cut a bunch is enough to humble him. Maybe he’s grown up? The physical tools are definitely there.
Im skeptical. Football wasn't his priority when he was getting paid a lot of money to play it. I'm not sure getting paid less will flip the switch. He wasn't dedicated to his craft in the offseason and per some Bears rumors he barely knew the playbook. Miami couldn't use him because their offense was too complicated.

I'm not a fan of trading down and allowing KC to choose the WR they desire. Coleman doesn't really impress me, he seems like a nice guy but way too comical. This isn't a comedy show, after all.

I'm not a fan of trading down and allowing KC to choose the WR they desire. Coleman doesn't really impress me, he seems like a nice guy but way too comical. This isn't a comedy show, after all.
As a fins fan I think the Coleman fit is perfect for Allen. I honestly think the Bills got a good one here and seems like a legit good guy to have around the team. Going to smash that locker room.

And the Gabe Davis comparisons that have been stated earlier are lazy at best. Coleman is a better receiver overall and he's young (21 when the season starts). Coleman needed to go to a team where the QB isn't afraid to chuck it and that is Allen. He's going to be great when Allen is scrambling and buying time. I see him (if he hits his potential) as closer to Mike Evans.

I don’t get the KC trade fear. What happens if the Bills don’t trade with them? Let’s say the Bills love Worthy.

Then KC is getting either Coleman, Leggett or McConky. There is nothing the Bills could do to prevent KC from getting one of these tier WRs, all of which have the chance to be amazing with Mahomes.

The Bills clearly didn’t want Worthy. It isn’t like KC had some amazing track record of picking WRs. It is entirely possible that if someone else was their #2 option the Bills did BETTER by letting KC get their #1 option.

WRs in this range are about a 50% proposition, and this would be true of any of the four that KC could have taken, so why not get some value if it is there to be had by trading with them?

On Claypool signing, yeah I hate it. Bad attitude, doesn’t seem to fit in with the type of players they target?

I don’t get the KC trade fear. What happens if the Bills don’t trade with them? Let’s say the Bills love Worthy.

Then KC is getting either Coleman, Leggett or McConky. There is nothing the Bills could do to prevent KC from getting one of these tier WRs, all of which have the chance to be amazing with Mahomes.

The Bills clearly didn’t want Worthy. It isn’t like KC had some amazing track record of picking WRs. It is entirely possible that if someone else was their #2 option the Bills did BETTER by letting KC get their #1 option.

WRs in this range are about a 50% proposition, and this would be true of any of the four that KC could have taken, so why not get some value if it is there to be had by trading with them?

On Claypool signing, yeah I hate it. Bad attitude, doesn’t seem to fit in with the type of players they target?
I agree, if you start concerning yourself with what other teams strategies versus doing what is best for yourself you are trouble. BUF obviously was not sold on any particular player enough to hang onto the pick and maybe KC was their only offer. You do what’s best for building your team and try to maximize the value of your board as best you can. If they were scared of KC grabbing any of the remaining receivers left they probably would have drafted that receiver at that spot (assuming they would have that particular WR ranked a bit higher than the others at that point). They most likely had a cluster of receivers ranked similarly on their board and knew KC was getting someone from that cluster regardless so they took advantage of getting the extra pick.

In Miami, Claypool conducted himself very well on and off the field. He was a good team player per the beat writers.

He's on his 4th NFL team, the issue is talent and fit. He has speed but doesn't separate. Perhaps a red-zone target. Good blocker.

Users who are viewing this thread