What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Draft Season, let the Trading Begin (3 Viewers)

They trade the 2nd round pick to the Bears who then drafts T. Jenkins, OT.  I'd rather have just drafted the OT there.  Then 4 more OT go off the board in the next 10 or so picks.  But hey, at least we snagged another 6th round pick.   :mellow:
Or the starting safety or samuel or Joseph or Little or Cosmi.  Fitter just tried to get cute.  I get the value aspect of it and I get how he thinks all of the talent is just jumbled together after the first 16 or so picks (which I dont agree) but man there was a ton of line talent we just let slide right by.  Jenkins, while he isnt a LT he would be an insane addition for this line.  Rt or guard or whatever.  After reading about Christenson he seems pretty meh

More trades. Chuba Hubbard is intriguing. Hope he's back to 100%.

And we got a long snapper!  

But is Chubba only the Mike Davis replacement?  Or will he see time with CMC?  
I am not happy they let “upper tier” talent go by and trade away picks for peanuts...  So much potential missed!!

I like how the trade-downs worked for CAR. Turned 39+113+151 into

WR Terrace Marshall (59)
TE Tommy Tremble (83)
RB Chuba Hubbard (126)
DT Daviyon Nixon (158)
CB Keith Taylor (166)
WR Shi Smith (204)
DT Phil Hoskins (232)
2022 4th HOU

by trading
39+151 for 52+83+204 (from CHI)
52+113 for 59+89 (from CLE)
89 for 109+158+2022rd4 (from HOU)
109 for 126+166+232 (from TEN)

Original picks became OT Teven Jenkins (39), LB Derrick Barnes (113), & OT Larry Borom (151).

But is Chubba only the Mike Davis replacement?  Or will he see time with CMC?  
I am not happy they let “upper tier” talent go by and trade away picks for peanuts...  So much potential missed!!
It won't be 50/50 but I can see Hubbard rotating in and also can see formations with both he and CMC in the backfield.  

I didn't care much for all the trade backs at the time and felt we missed out on some better offensive linemen, but I do think we got some value picks in Daviyon Nixon and especially Deonte Brown (6th round).  Hopefully Christensen pans out but I think Brown will be a starter sooner than later. 

UDFA list so far:

Paddy Fisher, LB, (Northwestern)

Oscar Draguicevich III, P (Washington State)

David Moore, OG (Grambling State)

Mason Stokke, FB (Wisconsin)

Spencer Brown, RB (UAB)

Peyton Ramsey, QB (Northwestern)

I like how the trade-downs worked for CAR. Turned 39+113+151 into

WR Terrace Marshall (59)
TE Tommy Tremble (83)
RB Chuba Hubbard (126)
DT Daviyon Nixon (158)
CB Keith Taylor (166)
WR Shi Smith (204)
DT Phil Hoskins (232)
2022 4th HOU

by trading
39+151 for 52+83+204 (from CHI)
52+113 for 59+89 (from CLE)
89 for 109+158+2022rd4 (from HOU)
109 for 126+166+232 (from TEN)

Original picks became OT Teven Jenkins (39), LB Derrick Barnes (113), & OT Larry Borom (151).
I don't.  Instead of quality NFL players we got a TE that can't catch, a guy named Chubby, and a long snapper that even knew picking him was a reach.  Not to mention we passed on a franchise QB or trading the pick to a team smart enough to realize a franchise QB was available at 8.

I don't.  Instead of quality NFL players we got a TE that can't catch, a guy named Chubby, and a long snapper that even knew picking him was a reach.  Not to mention we passed on a franchise QB or trading the pick to a team smart enough to realize a franchise QB was available at 8.
I see him less as a TE and more of an H-back or full back who can do many things, including special teams.  Dan Arnold is the new TE.  I'm curious to see how Brady plans to use Tremble.  

Chuba's production fell off last year but he had injuries, including groin surgery.  In his interview, he said he was fully healthy now.  

I see him less as a TE and more of an H-back or full back who can do many things, including special teams.  Dan Arnold is the new TE.  I'm curious to see how Brady plans to use Tremble.  

Chuba's production fell off last year but he had injuries, including groin surgery.  In his interview, he said he was fully healthy now.  
83rd overall pick as a special teams guy...how long until we fire this new GM?

83rd overall pick as a special teams guy...how long until we fire this new GM?
Who knows?  It seems like Tepper was happy with how the draft went. I'm certain they wanted to trade the 8th pick (they tried to trade every pick) but no takers. 

I read that after this draft, the Panthers are now the youngest team in the NFL. And that's including a 25 year old rookie OT.  Don't know how accurate that is but it seems not too long ago we were getting long in the tooth.  I'm sure the new GM will get plenty of time to develop the team.  

Rhule wanted Tremble. He loves his blocking, which he is very dominant at. He showed on Pro Day he has no problem catching the ball. He has been likened to George Kittle coming out of college. 

QB wasn't a need when they want to give Darnold a shot. If Darnold doesn't work out this year they can draft someone next year, or maybe someone like DeShaun Watson will be available for trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhule wanted Tremble. He loves his blocking, which he is very dominant at. He showed on Pro Day he has no problem catching the ball. He has been likened to George Kittle coming out of college. 
Oh wouldn't that be nice. 

QB wasn't a need when they want to give Darnold a shot. If Darnold doesn't work out this year they can draft someone next year, or maybe someone like DeShaun Watson will be available for trade.
Franchise QBs don't drop to the 8th spot every year.  I'm not seeing us being bad enough to secure a top 2 pick next year.  Guys "like" Watson (I assume you mean not Watson because he'll be out of the league if half the stuff is true) cost your entire draft.  I didn't watch a ton of college football last year, but the one game I watched in full, Fields looked far superior to Lawrence.

I've been likened to George Kittle, doesn't mean I can play like him.  What's Rhule going to say..."We screw the pooch and made a bad selection.."  Hopefully he's a good enough blocker to move to OT to replace the guy we drafted with alligator arms.

Who knows?  It seems like Tepper was happy with how the draft went. I'm certain they wanted to trade the 8th pick (they tried to trade every pick) but no takers. 

I read that after this draft, the Panthers are now the youngest team in the NFL. And that's including a 25 year old rookie OT.  Don't know how accurate that is but it seems not too long ago we were getting long in the tooth.  I'm sure the new GM will get plenty of time to develop the team.  
Somebody would have taken the 8th pick they were just asking too much.  Given they were going to reach at that spot, they should have just swapped first straight up with some and saved the salary cap space.  Someone would have tossed in a 6th round so Rhule could make a second video of him calling some UDFA talent and tell him he was drafted.

I thought it was a productive draft, and only time will tell how the players will pan out. I understand their philosophy for building the team, and as Tepper said last year it is a long process, and people have to be patient.  The team is young in all sorts of ways. The owner is still pretty green, this is only the second year in the NFL for the HC, and the GMs first time being a GM. Last year they started putting pieces in place to build the team, and there are more pieces to come. They will find that some pieces don't fit like they had hoped, but that happens to all teams. Hopefully more hit than miss. I thought they exceeded expectations last year, and only lost some games by a few points. We'll see how things shake out, but having a glass half full is better than having one half empty. 

I thought it was a productive draft, and only time will tell how the players will pan out. I understand their philosophy for building the team, and as Tepper said last year it is a long process, and people have to be patient.  The team is young in all sorts of ways. The owner is still pretty green, this is only the second year in the NFL for the HC, and the GMs first time being a GM. Last year they started putting pieces in place to build the team, and there are more pieces to come. They will find that some pieces don't fit like they had hoped, but that happens to all teams. Hopefully more hit than miss. I thought they exceeded expectations last year, and only lost some games by a few points. We'll see how things shake out, but having a glass half full is better than having one half empty. 
I hope I'm wrong and you and the others are back here in 8 months posting about how I should be banned forever from commenting on the NFL draft and saying in your face Bass....May Fields is a bust, Horn is a Dion Sanders that can tackle, Christensen becomes so good we don't even need a guard next to him, Tremble makes Kelce look washed up, and Fletcher is only long snaps PATS because we don't punt the entire year.

Somebody would have taken the 8th pick they were just asking too much.  Given they were going to reach at that spot, they should have just swapped first straight up with some and saved the salary cap space.  Someone would have tossed in a 6th round so Rhule could make a second video of him calling some UDFA talent and tell him he was drafted.
:lol:   Hey, we set a trend by picking a long snapper in the 6th.  Three picks later the Washington Football Team selected another long snapper, Camaron "the Cheese Man" Cheeseman from Michigan.  

:lol:   Hey, we set a trend by picking a long snapper in the 6th.  Three picks later the Washington Football Team selected another long snapper, Camaron "the Cheese Man" Cheeseman from Michigan.  
Awesome name.  I'm just sad to find out Chub-ba is Choo-ba.

I hope I'm wrong and you and the others are back here in 8 months posting about how I should be banned forever from commenting on the NFL draft and saying in your face Bass....May Fields is a bust, Horn is a Dion Sanders that can tackle, Christensen becomes so good we don't even need a guard next to him, Tremble makes Kelce look washed up, and Fletcher is only long snaps PATS because we don't punt the entire year.
It doesn't matter how well they do, you will still have your black cloud over your head during future drafts, and then rain down your doom and gloom in the thread. Good times.

It doesn't matter how well they do, you will still have your black cloud over your head during future drafts, and then rain down your doom and gloom in the thread. Good times.
From last year....

The Commish...I've never understood the love for Samuel.  If someone else is in love with him and gives a sweet deal, then I'd absolutely move him.  I think we've seen what he'll be as a WR in the league at this point.

Me...When have we seen him with an uninjured NFL caliber stating QB?
Me...Chinn.  OK with it.  All three of our picks will be starting.
Me again from last year...I haven't found a single article saying anything other than the Cats knocking it out of the park.
Me on the offense last year...Barring injury, top 7 offense
Let's go a little further back to 2017 draft night...

Fire up the McCaffrey motorcade!!!!

Boom!  That's how it's done.  Great trade for us.
Just because I'm not a mindless homer and think for myself doesn't mean I'm all doom and gloom.  When I've like what they've done I've been one of the first hear to start the cheer.  I'll leave it at that...have a great evening.

From last year....

Let's go a little further back to 2017 draft night...

Just because I'm not a mindless homer and think for myself doesn't mean I'm all doom and gloom.  When I've like what they've done I've been one of the first hear to start the cheer.  I'll leave it at that...have a great evening.
You have been doom and gloom with this draft, and you have been in past drafts. I know I've told you in the past you had the dark cloud over your head. I was also partially kidding with you, but this thread is such a drag with the negativity (not from everyone), I should have known better. I can participate in other threads that are Panther related.

simey said:
You have been doom and gloom with this draft, and you have been in past drafts. I know I've told you in the past you had the dark cloud over your head. I was also partially kidding with you, but this thread is such a drag with the negativity (not from everyone), I should have known better. I can participate in other threads that are Panther related.
:lmao:   Looks like you learned a lot from someone famous when it comes to repeating a lie often enough that you convince yourself.  As recently as last year I was praising almost every pick and linking positive press.  A couple of years prior to that I was one of the biggest fans of the CMac pick.  Now maybe I negative compared to someone like you who loves everything black and blue from the "Big Cat" on down.  In 27 season the Panthers have had 7 winning seasons and 16 losing seasons.  If all their drafts were as good as you've touted them to be the results would be a whole lot better.

:lmao:   Looks like you learned a lot from someone famous when it comes to repeating a lie often enough that you convince yourself.  As recently as last year I was praising almost every pick and linking positive press.  A couple of years prior to that I was one of the biggest fans of the CMac pick.  Now maybe I negative compared to someone like you who loves everything black and blue from the "Big Cat" on down.  In 27 season the Panthers have had 7 winning seasons and 16 losing seasons.  If all their drafts were as good as you've touted them to be the results would be a whole lot better.
What is with the condescending laugh? What is this about repeating a lie?  I am not going to argue with you, but you have been negative in some past drafts. I know I've joked with you in the past about having a dark cloud over your head. I didn't think you were going to take it personal. Heck, you used to be negative about Cam chewing gum and having fun on the field with his 1st down gestures.  I tout drafts? All I said about the draft was that it was productive, and only time will tell how the players will pan out. That's touting? I really don't say that much about drafts, but I try to be positive. All players are unproven until they play. Also, I don't love everything black and blue from the Big Cat down. I am not a fan of Tepper, and I was not happy that Rivera was fired and the way he was fired, and I don't like the way Cam was let go or how Olsen was handled for his departure. 

What is with the condescending laugh? What is this about repeating a lie?  I am not going to argue with you, but you have been negative in some past drafts. I know I've joked with you in the past about having a dark cloud over your head. I didn't think you were going to take it personal. Heck, you used to be negative about Cam chewing gum and having fun on the field with his 1st down gestures.  I tout drafts? All I said about the draft was that it was productive, and only time will tell how the players will pan out. That's touting? I really don't say that much about drafts, but I try to be positive. All players are unproven until they play. Also, I don't love everything black and blue from the Big Cat down. I am not a fan of Tepper, and I was not happy that Rivera was fired and the way he was fired, and I don't like the way Cam was let go or how Olsen was handled for his departure. 
:hifive:

:blackdot:

Not going to hide from me forever people!

Had a lot of questions and WTF moments in this particular draft.  Most of them covered already, so not rehashing and not a fan of Darnold at all.  That said, I don't think Fields would have sniffed being the "savior" many in the NFL have said.  I personally don't get the love.  It's my belief he'll go down as a "great in college, gets lost in the wash in the NFL" guy.  Not losing any sleep of them "missing" on him.  I'm just glad we got our long snapper baby!!!!!  My son was watching with me and said "Dad...what is the LS position?"  I said "exactly son" and we just shook our heads.  

:blackdot:

Not going to hide from me forever people!

Had a lot of questions and WTF moments in this particular draft.  Most of them covered already, so not rehashing and not a fan of Darnold at all.  That said, I don't think Fields would have sniffed being the "savior" many in the NFL have said.  I personally don't get the love.  It's my belief he'll go down as a "great in college, gets lost in the wash in the NFL" guy.  Not losing any sleep of them "missing" on him.  I'm just glad we got our long snapper baby!!!!!  My son was watching with me and said "Dad...what is the LS position?"  I said "exactly son" and we just shook our heads.  
Hey, GB.  Welcome home.  We are building something here.

Friday, my wife asked me what does "LS" mean beside a player's name (this was before the Panthers picked one in the draft).  "Long snapper" I said.  With a bit of confusion on her face, she says "what the heck is that?"  The guy that snaps the ball for punts and FGs.  "Oh, they have special players just for that?"  Of course.  Wait till you see the punt team gunner they're about to draft in the supplemental draft next weekend....  more confusion.  "Shut up.  I need more wine."

Hey, GB.  Welcome home.  We are building something here.

Friday, my wife asked me what does "LS" mean beside a player's name (this was before the Panthers picked one in the draft).  "Long snapper" I said.  With a bit of confusion on her face, she says "what the heck is that?"  The guy that snaps the ball for punts and FGs.  "Oh, they have special players just for that?"  Of course.  Wait till you see the punt team gunner they're about to draft in the supplemental draft next weekend....  more confusion.  "Shut up.  I need more wine."
:lmao:

It's becoming increasingly more difficult to follow along.  Not going to lie, I didn't even know the draft was going until I stumbled on it Thurs night.  That said, it was the first time in a REALLY long time, I watched it.  Loved that the college guys were doing coverage.  I don't know what to think of this draft honestly.  It feels like they continue to ignore offensive line and I'm not all that confident that Darnold would be an upgrade over Teddy.  I just don't know what to think.  It feels like every couple years they are "rebuilding".  

:lmao:

It's becoming increasingly more difficult to follow along.  Not going to lie, I didn't even know the draft was going until I stumbled on it Thurs night.  That said, it was the first time in a REALLY long time, I watched it.  Loved that the college guys were doing coverage.  I don't know what to think of this draft honestly.  It feels like they continue to ignore offensive line and I'm not all that confident that Darnold would be an upgrade over Teddy.  I just don't know what to think.  It feels like every couple years they are "rebuilding".  
This is Rhule's second draft and the new GM's first.  I like what they did last year with the defense.  Time will tell.  I wasn't thrilled when they traded for Darnold either but I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll do well with his fresh start.  I also wish they'd picked up better help on the O-line, but I think Horn will be a good fit in an improving defense.   

I was hoping for a Deshaun Watson trade before all this but all that is in limbo now. 

It's good to see Dan Morgan back in the fold as assistant GM.  Previously served as director of player personnel for the Seahawks and Bills.  

Week 1:  Jets at Panthers

Wonder what the story will be for that matchup... oh yeah, Sam Darnold wants to light up his former team.  Looking forward to this one. 

Week 1: vs. New York Jets – Sunday Sept. 12, 1:00 p.m. ET ------ Sam Darnold gets a shot at his old team. W
Week 2: vs. New Orleans Saints – Sunday Sept. 19, 1:00 p.m. ET ------ No Brees but tough matchup. L
Week 3: at Houston Texans – Thursday Sept. 23, 8:20 p.m. ET ------ Most likely no Deshaun Watson. Will we see the Texans rookie QB?  W
Week 4: at Dallas Cowboys – Sunday Oct. 3, 1:00 p.m. ET ------ Tough matchup.  Dallas should be improved on defense and Prescott is back.  L
Week 5: vs. Philadelphia Eagles – Sunday Oct. 10, 1:00 p.m. ET -----  Hard to tell what PHI will be.  Their QB is hurt... wait that's Hurts. Toss up.  W
Week 6: vs. Minnesota Vikings – Sunday Oct. 17, 1:00 p.m. ET ----- Figure the Vikes will be improved. Tough running game if Cook is healthy. But bit win here.  W
Week 7: at New York Giants – Sunday Oct. 24, 1:00 p.m. ET ----- I think the Gents will be improved as well. Tough road game.  L 
Week 8: at Atlanta Falcons – Sunday Oct. 31, 1:00 p.m. ET ----- ATL offense with another big weapon. If WR corp is healthy, they're real good.  L 
Week 9: vs. New England Patriots – Sunday Nov. 7, 1:00 p.m. ET ---- Cam Newton's home coming. Should be fun and I love Cam but hope we spoil his return.  W
Week 10: at Arizona Cardinals – Sunday Nov. 14, 4:05 p.m. ET ---- Cards are a team on the rise.  Tough matchup on the road here.  L
Week 11: vs. Washington Football Team – Sunday Nov. 21, 1:00 p.m. ET ---- Not sure what the WFT offense will look like but we know their D will be stout. L
Week 12: at Miami Dolphins – Sunday Nov. 28, 1:00 p.m. ET ----- Another AFC team on the rise. Interesting matchup but we may come up short.  L
Week 13: BYE WEEK
Week 14: vs. Atlanta Falcons – Sunday Dec. 12, 1:00 p.m. ET ---- Two weeks to prepare for the rematch.  We take this one to split the season. W
Week 15: at Buffalo Bills – Saturday Dec. 18 or Sunday Dec. 19, time TBD ----- Another tough road matchup vs a top AFC team, the Panthers north.  L
Week 16: vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Sunday Dec. 26, 1:00 p.m. ---- Bucs return everyone from the SB win and may be undefeated to this point.  L
Week 17: at New Orleans Saints – Sunday Jan. 2, 1:00 p.m. ET ----- Always hard to win in NO.  L
Week 18: at Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Sunday Jan. 9, 1:00 p.m. ET ---- Well, Tom can't play forever... right?  L  

6-11 season and another decent draft slot next spring.  I could see 7 or 8 wins but it will clearly depend a lot on Darnold's progression. Either way, the  team continues to build the culture and foundation for a strong organization.  I think there is much to be excited about the next few years. 

If Darnold struggles and we could somehow pull off a trade for a determined Deshaun Watson, this team will become instant NFC contenders.  

All IMO of course.  

I thought Chuba and Marshall looked pretty good last weekend.  Lots of players took the first game off. 

PJ Walker is better than Will Grier.  Need to see Darnold against the Ravens.

Not sure if the new guy is better than Slye.  At least Slye usually kicks touchbacks.  Hopefully Santoso does too.

Team actually looked pretty good against the Steelers. Hubbard looks to be a nice backup to CMC and the WR group is solid.  Defense looking better.  

Not sure if the new guy is better than Slye.  At least Slye usually kicks touchbacks.  Hopefully Santoso does too.

Team actually looked pretty good against the Steelers. Hubbard looks to be a nice backup to CMC and the WR group is solid.  Defense looking better.  
Mentally Slye is done.   I hate it for him but it’s just the truth.  The team had to do something.   

pantherclub said:
Mentally Slye is done.   I hate it for him but it’s just the truth.  The team had to do something.   

Seems a good time to remind ourselves that we drafted Harrison Butker in the 7th round just a few years ago but decided to let him be pilfered by the Chiefs so that we could pay Gano millions to miss FGs for a little while longer. 

Initial 53-man roster:

QB: Sam Darnold, PJ Walker (Will Grier cut)

OL: Cam Erving, Pat Elflein, Matt Paradis, John Miller, Taylor Moton, Trent Scott, Dennis Daley, Deonte Brown, Brady Christensen

WR: DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Terrace Marshall Jr, David Moore, Brandon Zylstra, Shi Smith

TE: Dan Arnold, Ian Thomas, Tommy Tremble, Colin Thompson, Giovanni Ricci

RB: Christian McCaffrey, Chuba Hubbard, Trenton Cannon (only 3?)

DL: Brian Burns, DaQuan Jones, Derrick Brown, Morgan Fox, Marquis Haynes, Yetur Gross-Matos, Darryl Johnson, Bravvion Roy, Daviyon Nixon, Phil Hoskins

LB: Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Haason Reddick, Frankie Luvu, Julian Stanford, Clay Johnston

CB: Jaycee Horn, Donte Jackson, Keith Taylor, Stantley Thomas-Oliver III (AJ Bouye suspended for 2 weeks)

S: Jeremy Chinn, Juston Burris, Sam Franklin, Myles Hartsfield, Sean Chandler

K: Ryan Santoso

P: Joseph Charlton (LS: JJ Jansen)

Cutting Will Grier leaves a thin QB room with 2 young guys. It would be nice to have a veteran backup to help Darnold.  Don't see them inviting Cam to town but if the $ is right...

Also a thin RB room.  Only 3 guys?  Does that mean CMC will not get as much rest as first thought?  Or will Chuba be in a solid rotation?  

I wouldn't mind them signing Wayne Gallman to add solid veteran depth to the group.  

Jayrok said:
Cutting Will Grier leaves a thin QB room with 2 young guys. It would be nice to have a veteran backup to help Darnold.  Don't see them inviting Cam to town but if the $ is right...

Also a thin RB room.  Only 3 guys?  Does that mean CMC will not get as much rest as first thought?  Or will Chuba be in a solid rotation?  

I wouldn't mind them signing Wayne Gallman to add solid veteran depth to the group.  
Cam is never ever coming back here.  Its stupid to even speculate that.   I cannot believe that kept PJ over WG but I guess you are spiting hairs because both are really really bad.  We need a vet to come in to back up Sam.

Cam is never ever coming back here.  Its stupid to even speculate that.   I cannot believe that kept PJ over WG but I guess you are spiting hairs because both are really really bad.  We need a vet to come in to back up Sam.

They signed another ex-Jet QB, James Morgan (4th round pick in 2020 from FIU). QB room got younger.

They signed another ex-Jet QB, James Morgan (4th round pick in 2020 from FIU). QB room got younger.
That could be one of those signings that are made to scout the next opponent (Panthers v. NYJ Week 1) - Billy B is famous for that. I can't really say if he's any good or not because he never saw the field - he didn't look bad in the last pre-season game.

Users who are viewing this thread