What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. Tyler meet Tyler… also did you meet Tyler??? (3 Viewers)

Saw a chart this week about bust factor by position. Apologies for being too lazy to go find again. Long story short - The Position with the lowest bust factor = Center.

That is my pick. Highest rated Center please and thanks. If we can trade down and still do this = bonus points.

I saw that. The bust factor is so low because for a C to go in Rd 1 he has to be elite. But overall OL ranks 1-3, so there's definitely something there. Teams see their O-lines as cohesive units so there's etxra incentive to re-sign those players. I trust McClay too much to judge the 1st pick, but I expect OL. The best available OL might be the bpa. Hope so. I saw Steven Jones say "offensive line" about five times in a recent interview so things are pointing that way. I wouldn't be shocked if they double up on OL in rd 2. But if Sweat's character issues cause him to fall that far, I expect Dallas to take him. Zimmer wants big bodies and there's not much to choose from.

Hearing rumblings that we may be willing to spend some of this years draft capital for trades or trade ups (maybe in later rounds) with the fact the Cowboys are expecting additional future compensatory picks.

Don’t get cute. Unless a team like KC is willing to overpay to get up, just stay and pick.
I’m fine with a trade down. Lots of great players. Get an another 3rd.

Do not want Guyton.
Sorry but that is who we're stuck with. What's his negatives?
Not many games played. Poor technique with hands too wide. Will probably be a penalty machine.

Better pass pro than run blocking.

He is very athletic and raw. There is potential. My concern is the bust factor.

However, we have excellent track record with OL. Add the 3rd in and it’s a tidy piece of work.

Last edited:
I will be shocked if they don't take the best available OL or trade back.
Did both. Good call 👍🏼
The top 2 centers would like a word. I think they were targeting Mimms and taking care of the edges first. Then when he was gone they did the smart thing and moved back a few spots with the centers as insurance. Although to move back you need a trading partner so it was fortunate opportunity too. They gained 17% in draft position points.

I'm expecting them to make a move or two forward in the next couple of rounds knowing they'll get a bunch of compensatory next year to help address all the losses this year.

Well, I couldn't be more pleased. In the fbg podcast chat I said Dallas would take Guyton after Fuaga went at 14. I just hoped they'd trade down and get their 4th rounder back. They got an early 3rd. Nice. That pick is huge in this draft. It's like a mid 2nd in most drafts. This class is that deep. Such a win. Thanks Detroit. Enjoy that cornerback.

Guyton isn't as raw as they're reporting. He's had over 1000 snaps at RT and gave up 2 sacks two seasons ago when he was raw. He's a premium athlete. All he did was improve. 320+ pounds and lean for an OL. Light on his feet. Run blocking film is beautiful. Basketball star and TE in his background. His QB was a lefty so he had the blind side. He's athletic enough to play LT. He's been coached up by one of the best for two years. OU's staff was literally amazed at his development. I prefer him to Morgan who went at 25. He has a higher ceiling. Maybe not Mims ceiling but close enough and higher floor. After Alt, Latham and Fashanu, I had them all in a close tier. We got a real good one and he came with another draft pick. Such a win. I love McClay.

He also comes with a high character assessment and he's a life-long Cowboys fan.

Well, I couldn't be more pleased. In the fbg podcast chat I said Dallas would take Guyton after Fuaga went at 14. I just hoped they'd trade down and get their 4th rounder back. They got an early 3rd. Nice. That pick is huge in this draft. It's like a mid 2nd in most drafts. This class is that deep. Such a win. Thanks Detroit. Enjoy that cornerback.

Guyton isn't as raw as they're reporting. He's had over 1000 snaps at RT and gave up 2 sacks two seasons ago when he was raw. He's a premium athlete. All he did was improve. 320+ pounds and lean for an OL. Light on his feet. Run blocking film is beautiful. Basketball star and TE in his background. His QB was a lefty so he had the blind side. He's athletic enough to play LT. He's been coached up by one of the best for two years. OU's staff was literally amazed at his development. I prefer him to Morgan who went at 25. He has a higher ceiling. Maybe not Mims ceiling but close enough and higher floor. After Alt, Latham and Fashanu, I had them all in a close tier. We got a real good one and he came with another draft pick. Such a win. I love McClay.

He also comes with a high character assessment and he's a life-long Cowboys fan.

Thanks for the write up Mr. Guyton, sir. ;)

Seriously though, thanks, I know nothing about any of these guys anymore.

Amazing they got this massive human and picked up an early 3rd as a bonus. Well done, Dallas!

Run blocking film is beautiful

Better pass pro than run blocking
🤔

Yes. Both things can be true. From Dane Brugler:

Very athletic build, long arms and minimal bad weight … stays light and balanced in pass protection,with the feet of a running back for easy lateral range and mirroring … tends to pop out of his stance and comfortably sinks his weight mid-slide … very alert and keeps his eyes connected to his feet … punches with patience and stabs are both direct and quick … does a nice job staying centered to blocks to avoid getting throw by shifty moves … fluid hips and body bend help strengthen his anchor for natural recoveries … plays with phenomenal foot speed and range in the open field to cover up second- and third-level defenders as a lead puller … raw strength in his hands shows when he latches in the run game … has come a long way in a short time and has considerable upside with continued reps on the offensive line.

🤔

Very athletic build, long arms and minimal bad weight … stays light and balanced in pass protection,with the feet of a running back for easy lateral range and mirroring … tends to pop out of his stance and comfortably sinks his weight mid-slide … very alert and keeps his eyes connected to his feet … punches with patience and stabs are both direct and quick … does a nice job staying centered to blocks to avoid getting throw by shifty moves … fluid hips and body bend help strengthen his anchor for natural recoveries … plays with phenomenal foot speed and range in the open field to cover up second- and third-level defenders as a lead puller … raw strength in his hands shows when he latches in the run game … has come a long way in a short time and has considerable upside with continued reps on the offensive line.

In watching some of his highlight reels, he looks more proficient pass blocking to me. Jmo. He is a finesse blocker, not a mauler.

When you watch, look at 2 things:

Hands. Too wide. He gets flagged.

Feet. Very nimble and smooth. Elite.

On the whole, I’m pleased. If we had just taken him at 24. I would be screaming today.

Based on the trade, and getting the player and an early 3rd round bonus pick - it makes his risk much more palatable. We also have hit 2 in a row on picks like this. (Frederick/Tyler Smith).

More on pass pro vs. Run blocking…

Patrik Walker: They did exactly what I hoped and predicted (via mock draft) them to do: trade back with the Detroit Lions to gain the 73rd-overall pick while still attacking the offensive line in the first round. Enter Tyler Guyton, a former tight end who brings ton of athleticism to the offensive tackle position and a frame that is not easily moved around. And while he'll need to be more consistent in run blocking, the strength and footwork are definitely there, and his pass protection is some of the best you'll see in this draft class.

One last comment on Guyton.

In an ideal world, you start him at RT and let him cook. With Steele, that is not possible so there will be some hiccups/growing pains.

This team isn’t exactly a DB Contender anyways…so he’ll be ok.

Day 2 thoughts:
Most likely picks are RB and LB. With a chance for a Center, but hearing more and more we are comfy with Hoffman playing that spot.

I think there are many options at RB that I’m cool with. However, on the other hand - I admittedly don’t know many of the LB’s and am a bit underwhelmed at the talent available (without in depth research on my part).

There is value at WR in 2nd as well - not sure we pull that trigger though.

Guessing one of 3rd’s will be a wildcard kinda pick.

Last edited:
Yall are still sleeping on my dark horse Asim Richards. Hes going to start and be a monster. Line could be greatly improved with one more piece or two.

🤔

In watching some of his highlight reels, he looks more proficient pass blocking to me. Jmo. He is a finesse blocker, not a mauler.

On the whole, I’m pleased. If we had just taken him at 24. I would be screaming today.

Based on the trade, and getting the player and an early 3rd round bonus pick - it makes his risk much more palatable. We also have hit 2 in a row on picks like this. (Frederick/Tyler Smith).

I thought you agreed with @Ministry of Pain that:

OT7 - Tyler Guyton, has a total of 14 starts in college...PASS!

You said:

I really like the top center’s this year. This position has the lowest draft bust rate as well.

Hoping Cowboys go best Center available.

Also agree on Guyton.

More on pass pro vs. Run blocking…

Patrik Walker: They did exactly what I hoped and predicted (via mock draft) them to do: trade back with the Detroit Lions to gain the 73rd-overall pick while still attacking the offensive line in the first round. Enter Tyler Guyton, a former tight end who brings ton of athleticism to the offensive tackle position and a frame that is not easily moved around. And while he'll need to be more consistent in run blocking, the strength and footwork are definitely there, and his pass protection is some of the best you'll see in this draft class.

Here is some more.

A converted three-star DT prospect who transferred to OU from TCU, Guyton (6’076/322) is one of the few first-round caliber 2024 tackles who transferred from their original school. Oklahoma OC Jeff Lebby planted Guyton at LT throughout 2022 fall camp with Guyton starting OU’s opener against UTEP before Lebby hit the eject button and moved him over to the right side, where he remained for the duration of his Sooners tenure. Guyton shuttled in and out of the starting lineup as he acclimated to his new position, recording 352 snaps at RT while allowing two sacks and one hurry despite missing a few games due to injury. He finally settled into a starting role this year and stayed mostly healthy logging 663 snaps with zero sacks, three hits and nine hurries. Though he allowed 12 total pressures on the year, none of those miscues resulted in an interception or an incompletion. There was no escape on run plays when the mammoth tackle was bearing down on defenders, as Guyton was credited with a 0% blown run block rate on 303 opportunities, an achievement that speaks for itself. His Combine performance only solidified Guyton’s blue chips status with a 1.76s 10-yard split (87th%), 7.5s 3-Cone (89th%) and jaw-dropping 34.5” vertical jump (98th%) for a superb 9.70 RAS. Blessed with impressive agility, Guyton’s flexibility and fluid hips allow him to cut off defenders on run plays and beat speed rushers to the outside. If anything Guyton’s quickness is so pronounced that savvy edge rushers will bait him on the loop to induce oversets and cross his face. His pad level can get high at times, exposing his chest and leaving him susceptible to bull rushes when he isn’t centered. He only started for one season in his four year collegiate voyage, so Guyton is still coming into his own and will likely have some early growing pains, but the pieces are in place for him to develop into an athletic mauler if handled properly.

🤔

I thought you agreed with @Ministry of Pain that:

OT7 - Tyler Guyton, has a total of 14 starts in college...PASS!

You said:

I really like the top center’s this year. This position has the lowest draft bust rate as well.

Hoping Cowboys go best Center available.

Also agree on Guyton.

For sure, not my #1 choice and certainly not at 24 based on where I thought players would fall.

As I mentioned, the addition of the 3rd is huge. It takes some of the risk away.

I'd be curious of an actual chart w data but ....top of your head-
Since Jerry? Are there more former Sooners or former (Texas, Texas A&M, etc ) Texas college's players on the Cowboys?

Admittedly, wasn't extremely familiar with Tyler Guyton's work. After the analysts jumped his run blocking last night, I was worried. I feel better after reading this thread.

@Bri I have watched so much draft coverage the last 14 hours, I am not sure who said Jerry only drafts Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas players - pretty inaccurate. While, we seem to have a player every other year from that region, I would chalk that up to Texas & Oklahoma being a talent pipeline. Also, we took 2 Michigan guys in the first 2 rounds last year - didn't work out very well. I wouldn't say Dallas has an overwhelming presence of Texas natives on the team though.

Reactions: Bri
They landed a good prospect and they added a third. Can’t complain.
We’ve had good success developing unpolished players, so I trust the staff here.

As for tonight- just color between the lines. We should be able to get a RB and LB that makes an impact. I’m fine with Brooks, Lloyd, or Benson. If a WR like AD Mitchell gets to us, then you pivot and take the value. I also like the center, Frazier, from WV. See if he makes it to us.

Don’t need to get fancy, just let the scouts do their job. We, if nothing else, draft and develop players well above average.

We’ve had good success developing unpolished players, so I trust the staff here.

As for tonight- just color between the lines. We should be able to get a RB and LB that makes an impact. I’m fine with Brooks, Lloyd, or Benson. If a WR like AD Mitchell gets to us, then you pivot and take the value. I also like the center, Frazier, from WV. See if he makes it to us.

Don’t need to get fancy, just let the scouts do their job. We, if nothing else, draft and develop players well above average.
Many mocks have Frazier still available at our pick in the second. I’m all for it.

Again though, I hear we like Bass to play C.

I don't remember the last Bill Bedenbaugh NFL prospect that didn't hit. Our OL guys who have the talent and build...Let's go!!!!!!

Many mocks have Frazier still available at our pick in the second. I’m all for it.

Again though, I hear we like Bass to play C.
Frazier is a nasty player. We are kind of soft and need grit, toughness, and more of a bad *** mindset. We’ve been out-physicaled in all our playoff losses. If we can’t change that, neither will our outcomes. I want to revamp our culture and we need nasty players to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread