What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. “Dak doesn’t play for money”. Well then shut up and sign a league minimum deal (1 Viewer)

Go sign Baker imo

He's not available. He's busy leading his team to the NFC Championship Game. :shrug:
You were saying? You insufferable Cowboy fans don’t deserve a QB like Dak. I hope he moves on and you’re stuck with Lance.

Playoff wins for Dak. 2
Playoff wins for Baker. 2
So QBs accounts for all wins…..got it. Btw…..terrible int by Baker to end the game today.

Thanks. So where would that rank him in real life, not fantasy, QBs on your list?
Salary and age adjusted or 2024 only season all the same salary?

No, all the same salary. No accounting for age or contract.
Stealing from GM with adjustments

1. Mahomes
2. Allen (may flip today)
3. Burrow
4. Lamar

5. Hurts
6. Herbert
7. CJ Stroud
8. Purdy

9. Tua
10. Love
11. Stafford
12. Goff
13. Kirk Cousins

14. Lawrence
15. Prescott
16. Rodgers???
17. Richardson - II'll take what's in the box
18. Brady

Go sign Baker imo

He's not available. He's busy leading his team to the NFC Championship Game. :shrug:
You were saying? You insufferable Cowboy fans don’t deserve a QB like Dak. I hope he moves on and you’re stuck with Lance.

Playoff wins for Dak. 2
So QBs accounts for all wins…..got it. Btw…..terrible int by Baker to end the game today.

At least they were competitive today. More than I can say for Dallas last week. Dallas was out of that game before the final note of the Anthem reached the 400 level.

Go sign Baker imo

Playoff wins for Dak. 2

At least they were competitive today. More than I can say for Dallas last week. Dallas was out of that game before the final note of the Anthem reached the 400 level.
No defense. No running game. Terrible planning and coaching.

Go sign Baker imo

Playoff wins for Dak. 2

And a QB who makes poor decisions at the worst time.

What happened the week after they whipped the Bucs last year?

C'mon @Neil Beaufort Zod . Keep up. It's moved from "can't win playoff games" to "Can't win enough playoff games". Try to keep up ;)

I'm just thankful the Ravens were able to beat the mighty Houston Texans in Baltimore last night so we can finally say Lamar Jackson is not terrible. ;)

I would love - LOVE - for you to defend Prescott's 2nd and 2 throw at the San Francsico 18, 1:40ish left in the 2nd Quarter, score tied at 6. I've asked Dak supporters repeatedly to defend that throw. Here it is again:

I have yet to hear or read a person who can come to Dak's defense in that throw. Problem is, it's not a singular event for him. See the Packers' game, Bills' game and San Francisco game from this season. It's a problem. It's a pattern. At 30, when does he correct this?

I don't think I've ever had the position every play he makes is defendable. :shrug:

But when you say you think he's good enough to win a Super Bowl and I ask you "why" and you respond "by watching him play" well, here's a clip of him playing, in the biggest game of last year and what does he do? What do you see by watching him play here?

If you're going to suggest he's good enough to win a Super Bowl, you have to also accept that he is one of the reasons why they haven't been to a Super Bowl. They haven't even gotten close. And a large reason for that is interceptions thrown by Dak.

Of course there are bad plays. My opinion is based on watching the body of work this year over a 17-game season.

It's what I always say, focus on the movie more than the snapshot. But that's entirely my opinion.
The regular season and playoffs are different movies.

C'mon @Neil Beaufort Zod . Keep up. It's moved from "can't win playoff games" to "Can't win enough playoff games". Try to keep up ;)

I'm just thankful the Ravens were able to beat the mighty Houston Texans in Baltimore last night so we can finally say Lamar Jackson is not terrible. ;)

I would love - LOVE - for you to defend Prescott's 2nd and 2 throw at the San Francsico 18, 1:40ish left in the 2nd Quarter, score tied at 6. I've asked Dak supporters repeatedly to defend that throw. Here it is again:

I have yet to hear or read a person who can come to Dak's defense in that throw. Problem is, it's not a singular event for him. See the Packers' game, Bills' game and San Francisco game from this season. It's a problem. It's a pattern. At 30, when does he correct this?

I don't think I've ever had the position every play he makes is defendable. :shrug:

But when you say you think he's good enough to win a Super Bowl and I ask you "why" and you respond "by watching him play" well, here's a clip of him playing, in the biggest game of last year and what does he do? What do you see by watching him play here?

If you're going to suggest he's good enough to win a Super Bowl, you have to also accept that he is one of the reasons why they haven't been to a Super Bowl. They haven't even gotten close. And a large reason for that is interceptions thrown by Dak.

Of course there are bad plays. My opinion is based on watching the body of work this year over a 17-game season.

It's what I always say, focus on the movie more than the snapshot. But that's entirely my opinion.

Thank you!

Absolutely. Y'all are making my point. One is much longer and has a relatively huge sample size compared to the small sample size of playoff games. In addition to a much tougher opponent.

Go sign Baker imo

Playoff wins for Dak. 2

And a QB who makes poor decisions at the worst time.
Like Peyton Manning against the Saints? Tell you what, I have something for you.

I could post worse records in the postseason than Dak. I could also post a list of QBs who have worse numbers in the postseason than Dak. Mind you, some are Super Bowl winners and HOF players.

People's biases always make things more complicated. Human nature, I guess.

In many cases that process makes complete sense, but Dak has a performance profile that’s not typical:

Over most regular season games, he’s good, and sometimes great. He elevates the players around him, the Cowboys seldom lose to teams they should beat, and are nearly always are in contention.

The playoffs present a marked contrast; his performance noticeably dips, he makes a higher rate of bad throws, has a clear turnover problem, and is unable to overcome good defenses.

This year’s performance is not new. It’s actually typical, the third consecutive year of the above descriptors.

At some point, and we’ve clearly hit that point, as we’ve engaged in this exercise for the third straight year, the evidence tells the story. He’s not good enough.

I could post worse records in the postseason than Dak. I could also post a list of QBs who have worse numbers in the postseason than Dak. Mind you, some are Super Bowl winners and HOF players.
I’d be interested in that list of Super Bowl winners and HOF players that have worse post season numbers than Dak.

Bias is born of results. Dak is 2-5 as a playoff starter. I’m not sure how anyone could reasonably spin that into Dak is a good playoff QB.

Let's not start comparing Dak to the Mannings or El way/Marino ok?

Bias is born of results. Dak is 2-5 as a playoff starter. I’m not sure how anyone could reasonably spin that into Dak is a good playoff QB.

:confused: Is anyone saying Prescott has been good in the playoffs?

He’s not good enough.

No worries. We can disagree there.

Over the years, I've been wrong enough and seen things develop enough and learned enough that I don't have the same absolute certainty that you do. But I do believe he's good enough.

He’s not good enough.

Over the years, I've been wrong enough and seen things develop enough and learned enough that I don't have the same absolute certainty that you do. But I do believe he's good enough.

It’s frustrating. Green Bay is probably the last franchise that still lets their QB sit for a few years to learn.

It’s almost as if coaches of yesteryear knew it was better for a young QB to sit and learn rather than become the entire face of a franchise and face all that pressure.

EVERY starting QB used to have a negative TD to INT ratio and then a few years later after they “got it” it went the other way.

Teams/coaches and fans are too quick to dismiss anyone who isn’t hoisting championships.

He’s not good enough.

It’s frustrating. Green Bay is probably the last franchise that still lets their QB sit for a few years to learn.

It’s almost as if coaches of yesteryear knew it was better for a young QB to sit and learn rather than become the entire face of a franchise and face all that pressure.

EVERY starting QB used to have a negative TD to INT ratio and then a few years later after they “got it” it went the other way.

Teams/coaches and fans are too quick to dismiss anyone who isn’t hoisting championships.
No disagreement broadly with what you’re saying. But as it applies to Dak……he’s been in the league 8 years. He’s 30 years old. It’s not like he’s Trevor Lawrence for example……(24 years old, only been in the league 3 years, had one year wasted playing for one of the worst coaches in the modern NFL era……)

Agreed. It's human nature though. We look for the fastest things that we think tell us something. Why look at 17 games when you can instead look at one and make a decision? In some ways, it's an efficiency thing. I get it.

Peyton mainly lost playoff games because the Colts D couldn’t stop Brady, Big Ben, etc, and those teams had defenses that played the Colts well. The one time the Colts won the title was not coincidentally the one year Bob Sanders was healthy all season. I don’t recall mistakes from Manning as being a major reason why the Colts usually didn’t get it done in the playoffs.

Dak has actively cost his team in most of their playoff losses. Except for the one with Rodgers heroics at the end.

He’s not good enough.

I hope you are right. Like you, I have also been wrong quite a bit.

I just don’t see it here. He gives me the exact vibes that Tony Romo did.

It’s also a function of the team and leadership. Dallas has struggled mightily to build the right culture and until that changes, I think the Cowboys will be stuck in the good but not great category.

Are you saying instagram football expert guy knows more about offensive football than McCarthy/Prescott?
I think he's saying GB coaches know enough about football to use instagram football expert guy's info to their advantage.

eta: Could have been a false flag and McCarthy is a genius.

Yes. For the record, Im not even suggesting that this is why the Cowboys lost, just saying how criminally stupid it is to have a two sided play sheet with 64 point font. There is information/tendencies to be gained.

Thanks. We'll disagree there. I don't think Instagram football expert knows more about football than McCarthy and Prescott.

But sure, they could probably shield that from view better although it's pretty common. With zoom on a camera, doesn't really matter what font size you use.

Trying hard to steer the convo elsewhere…

Can Bass play Center? I think Biadasz is gone.
I think you guys will certainly look to be adding to the OL this offseason.

FROM L-R
Tyron Smith - gotta bring him back with the way he played, but also, gotta have some sort of replacement ready for when he moves on or when/if he is injured again
Tyler Smith - stud. Great draft pick, he just needs to develop to become better
Biadasz - seems average/above average but probably looking to get paid. Need a replacement
Martin - slowly wearing down but ever so slightly. Still a top 10 OG in the league but no longer the elite guy he used to be. Prob don't need a replacement super soon but he will turn 34 2024
Steele - i dunno. Maybe he got better as the season went but he seemed to not even close live up to the contract he got. He should be better next year

Supposed to be a deep OT draft, so I gotta believe that is a target in the first 2 rounds. Not sure who is avail via free agency but premium OL guys are *not* cheap

If we are not moving Tyler to OT, then it’s a huge draft need for sure.

I was really impressed with Bass and the other dude his name is alluding me right now. Hoffman maybe.

Edit - Yes Brock Hoffman

I have a co worker who is a massive Cowboys fan. I saw him the other day and just said I was so sorry for how the season ended. He humbly looked away and said he couldn't talk about it. First time I got that genuine hurtful response since my Houston Oilers friend cried in my living room when Reich threw 4 second half td passed to win.

Dak contract stuff - good read.

“Hypothetically, the Cowboys now have the sole discretion to reduce his 2024 salary to as low as $1.21 million, with the $27.79 million reduction paid as a bonus and evenly distributed across the next three years. If the Cowboys convert the maximum amount of Prescott’s salary into a signing bonus, Prescott’s new number would be $40.93 million. It would still be the league’s seventh-highest cap hit, but up to $18.53 million in 2024 cap space could be created through this zero-negotiation automatic conversion.“

Do this

I read about this. This definitely is an option, but would make Dak an UFA, non franchise taggable QB after the 2024 season. Having your HC and QB on the last year of their deal at the same time with no extensions for either in place would be certainly interesting.

I read about this. This definitely is an option, but would make Dak an UFA, non franchise taggable QB after the 2024 season. Having your HC and QB on the last year of their deal at the same time with no extensions for either in place would be certainly interesting.

There are no good options right now.

Non elite QB, Coach or Def = no chance.

There are no good options right now.

Non elite QB, Coach or Def = no chance.
Yeah, I hear ya. Both of our teams are kind of in no man's land with not great options moving forward. Ours, primarily coaching, yours, just contractual hurdles. I think the truth is, while this article surely poses a great alternative, the real option and reality is Dak will be getting an extension. Need the money for future flex as well as getting CD/Parsons paid. If there are voidable years now, you can always design the next contract with more voidable years and see what the landscape looks like in 3 years when Dak is 33/34 years old.

shocked they are going to roll the same squad out again next year. they have to move on from dak and macarthy. until both happen i dont think the cowboys ever get very far

Thanks. We'll disagree there. I don't think Instagram football expert knows more about football than McCarthy and Prescott.

But sure, they could probably shield that from view better although it's pretty common. With zoom on a camera, doesn't really matter what font size you use.

I’m not sure I understood the question.

No - I don’t think that a random IG knows more than McCarty/Prescott.

Yes - To the post I agreed with. I think there is information to be learned from that play sheet if it’s on display for 17 weeks.

You don’t think so?

Yes - To the post I agreed with. I think there is information to be learned from that play sheet if it’s on display for 17 weeks.

You don’t think so?

You know what it should have read in big bold 24 point Arial font?

DON'T THROW THE BALL TO THE WRONG TEAM, DAK.

Last edited by a moderator:

You don’t think so?

The question was:

"Are you saying instagram football expert guy knows more about offensive football than McCarthy/Prescott?"

You quoted the question and replied "Yes". I said we'd just disagree there.

To your question, "Sure, they could probably shield that from view better although it's pretty common. With zoom on a camera, doesn't really matter what font size you use."

You don’t think so?

The question was:

"Are you saying instagram football expert guy knows more about offensive football than McCarthy/Prescott?"

You quoted the question and replied "Yes". I said we'd just disagree there.

To your question, "Sure, they could probably shield that from view better although it's pretty common. With zoom on a camera, doesn't really matter what font size you use."

No, I don't think a random IG guy knows more than McCarthy/Prescott.

Outside of something with Dak’s contract, what do y'all see as the biggest offseason need, player-wise?

Agreed.

Needs
-Making sense of the salary cap.
-High turnover of players likely. Gallup Biadasz Gilmore etc etc
-Identify position group to improve. (Oline, LB’s, RB Dline)
-Rebuilding defensive identity

Last edited by a moderator:
shocked they are going to roll the same squad out again next year. they have to move on from dak and macarthy. until both happen i dont think the cowboys ever get very far

If I'm a PHI/WAS/NYG fan, the last thing I want is for Dallas to run it back with McCarthy and Prescott.

If I'm a San Francisco fan, I'm giddy.

Really? What QB could Dallas reasonably get next year that would make things tougher for SF?

If I'm a PHI/WAS/NYG fan, the last thing I want is for Dallas to run it back with McCarthy and Prescott.
Yeah, there is nothing about MM or Dak that strikes fear in the heart of me, an Eagles fan. Last 3 years the Eagles have gone just as far as the Cowboys in the playoffs or farther, during their 3 consecutive 12-win seasons. Since Dak has been the QB of the Cowboys, The Cowboys have had the 1 seed once and the Eagles have had the 1 seed twice. The results? 2 trips to the Super Bowl for the Eagles and 1 Super Bowl title, while Dak and Co. 1-and-done'd their 1 seed and we just saw the entire team wilt, being the first team to ever lose to a 7-seed (they were the 2-seed this year)

The thing that really makes me nervous is Was getting the right HC and QB this offseason TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread