What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (13 Viewers)

Frank Ragnow, who expressed at the end of a grueling season that battling injuries for the past two years has taken a toll on him, has confirmed that his career will continue in Motown.

"I just need a few weeks to get healthy," Ragnow told the Free Press at NFL Honors. "I guess my typical offseason routine is kind of get right back into it, but I think as I’m getting older I need to understand that sometimes maybe less is more. And I just need some time to make sure I’m healthy and then we’ll get rolling again."
Probably as big or bigger news than any FA. With the guards both unsigned that would have left a gaping hole on the strength of the team. Now at the least they will retain their 3 OL pillers at C and T.

Lot of good guards and centers in this draft. Hoping we draft four lineman with our seven picks - C, G, DI, ED - but after last year's draft cycle, it's In Brad We Trust for me.

(nobody asked but I'd be good with 2 CBs, 2 OL, 2 DL, and maybe a K)

We need a developmental guy or two. I was pretty underwhelmed by Brodric Martin and Colby Sorsdal but we likely won't know until their 3rd or 4th year if either is any good.

Frank Ragnow, who expressed at the end of a grueling season that battling injuries for the past two years has taken a toll on him, has confirmed that his career will continue in Motown.

"I just need a few weeks to get healthy," Ragnow told the Free Press at NFL Honors. "I guess my typical offseason routine is kind of get right back into it, but I think as I’m getting older I need to understand that sometimes maybe less is more. And I just need some time to make sure I’m healthy and then we’ll get rolling again."
Probably as big or bigger news than any FA. With the guards both unsigned that would have left a gaping hole on the strength of the team. Now at the least they will retain their 3 OL pillers at C and T.

Lot of good guards and centers in this draft. Hoping we draft four lineman with our seven picks - C, G, DI, ED - but after last year's draft cycle, it's In Brad We Trust for me.

We need a developmental guy or two. I was pretty underwhelmed by Brodric
Martin
and Colby Sorsdal but we likely won't know until their 3rd or 4th year if either is any good.
Brodric is the guy I am most curious about. The Lions really wanted him and went after him kind of early. The satellite view here he sucks. The measurables were bad, he couldn't get pt. Still, he was a rookie so I have some hope. As for this draft, DBs, DLs, OLs and WR are the positions I am interested in. Same as last year. That white kid from Iowa is tops on my board right now.

Martin
and Colby Sorsdal but we likely won't know until their 3rd or 4th year if either is any good.
Brodric is the guy I am most curious about. The Lions really wanted him and went after him kind of early. The satellite view here he sucks. The measurables were bad, he couldn't get pt. Still, he was a rookie so I have some hope. As for this draft, DBs, DLs, OLs and WR are the positions I am interested in. Same as last year. That white kid from Iowa is tops on my board right now.

When I went to a couple open practices and without pads, Martin looked like a big, slow, fat kid.

There have been many effective d-line players who have been buttery, but they were still nimble. Hopefully Martin can gain some quickness training in the off-season.

Holmes also seems to go for the hungry mid range FAs. Don`t see him breaking the bank for a FA CB.

Martin

When I went to a couple open practices and without pads, Martin looked like a big, slow, fat kid.

There have been many effective d-line players who have been buttery, but they were still nimble. Hopefully Martin can gain some quickness training in the off-season.

Holmes also seems to go for the hungry mid range FAs. Don`t see him breaking the bank for a FA CB.

Brodric Martin was really impressed by what Alim McNeil did last off season in getting leaner, stronger and faster. It sounds like Martin really wants to emulate that regime and come back next season much faster and less fat. This is the advantage of drafting high character players, they put in the work to be the best football player they can be.

We must pay Goff. There is no way around it. What Holmes said yesterday has me a bit concerned.
The window is small. In a few years many good young players on this roster will be a due a raise.

I don't want to hear about building. The building was accelerated with how well they did this year.
Now is the time to go get a dominant pass rusher. Trade that 1st rounder for a DE or a corner that will make a difference.

Just sucks the draft is in Detroit this year. lol.

The window is not small. As long as we have Brad bringing in quality players in the draft and have Dan running the show getting everything out of that talent, we will be putting out real contenders. It always takes a bit of luck to make it to the Super Bowl, but this team will be kicking people in the teeth for years to come.
I love the job Holmes has done and give him full credit for nailing the past few drafts, but a reminder that draft success has a lot to do with luck, and is not necessarily "sticky". The Seahawks went on al all-time heater from 2010-12 (Thomas, Sherman, Russ, Wagner, Wright, Tate) and build the foundation for their Super Bowl teams. But their picks in subsequent years weren't nearly as good, even though it was the same guys making them. The same trend has played out with other teams.

I hope Holmes' run continues, but it's by no means guaranteed.
It also has a lot to do with strength of schedule and the quality of the other teams in the division.
Those things affect how your team performs, but I’m not sure they impact how your draft picks turn out
It doesn't necessarily affect how they turn out, but who you pick in the first place. There have also been more than a few examples where a team had a cakewalk schedule against the pass, the QB had a "good" year, they give said QB a new contract instead of drafting a replacement, QB sucks the next year when schedule goes from easy to difficult.
OK but we were discussing whether draft picks panned out. I don't see how any of the factors you're citing affect whether, say, Brian Branch was a good pick. Especially once you get out of the first couple rounds, draft position is mostly meaningless. Plenty of teams had a chance to select ARSB if they had wanted him

The concern would if can Ragnow make it through another season. I know everyone is eyeing defense in the draft but we need to make sure our strength remains a strength at oline as well.

Because I have no serious money on the game, I've been trying to figure out the best outcome for our beloved Leos. KC winning would be ok I guess since we could say that we did beat them early in the year. But if SF wins the team can say "that should have been us" And that's what I want them to carry into next season.

In a way, last night made me feel retroactively better about the NFCCG. I don't care what happened in Week 1, I don't think anyone was beating Mahomes in a Super Bowl
Not to mention beating him twice in one season.

But it still would have been one step closer at worst.
Not saying I wouldn't have preferred Detroit making it to the Super Bowl. I just think Mahomes had a an entire shoe filled with ladybugs this postseason

In a way, last night made me feel retroactively better about the NFCCG. I don't care what happened in Week 1, I don't think anyone was beating Mahomes in a Super Bowl
I watched the Bucs beat Mahomes in a SB. I’ve watched Brady lose SBs.

SF dominated the first half. Give credit to the Chiefs defense and Reid for making adjustments. Also Chiefs benefited from the punt ankle misplay and the fluke Greenlaw injury and missed extra point.

I disagree. This is a lucky super bowls for Mahomes. They could have easily lost to the Bills, but even if you concede that game to the Chiefs, then the Chiefs defense won them the last two games.

The Ravens should have won the AFC championship game by at least 7 points.

This year was the year to get Mahomes and the Chiefs and 3 teams choked it away. If the Lions played like they did for the first 2 and a half games of the playoffs against the Chiefs in the superbowl then they would have ran them over.

I disagree. This is a lucky super bowls for Mahomes. They could have easily lost to the Bills, but even if you concede that game to the Chiefs, then the Chiefs defense won them the last two games.

This year was the year to get Mahomes and the Chiefs and 3 teams choked it away. If the Lions played like they did for the first 2 and a half games of the playoffs against the Chiefs in the superbowl then they would have ran them over.
You may be right. But my version makes me feel a lot better

In all seriousness, yes, Mahomes did get lucky, but there was also a feeling like, when it mattered, he was just going to find a way to win. I mean, the Tampa SB is almost the exception that proves the rule. It took a disintegrating OL for him to get beaten badly. His other playoff losses were a duel with Brady when he was still rounding into form, and a game against Cinci where he may have been concussed in the second half.

He's obviously not going to win a Super Bowl every year of his career, but this one in particular felt like he just wasn't going to let the Chiefs lose

Just caught on FOX2 that The

NFL One Pass App

will be need for access to, at least, some of the draft related events. It sounded like there will be a lottery of sorts for access to some portions of the event. I recall using something similar on NFL.COM for free tickets when the Bills & Jets game was moved to Detroit. Excited to take it all in and show off the city.

We have the draft coming up but FA comes first, where positions of need need to be addressed. Today we have a list of potential free agents at the OL positions.

I thought Deckers contract is up but he still has another year to go so we are set at tackles. Need to add some depth. Not sure what they are going to do with Jackson yet.

To me, I think they need:
A DE to compliment Hutch via Free Agency
A true #1 CB via trade or draft
Upgrades at LB
Line depth on both sides
A kicker they can trust

To me, I think they need:
A DE to compliment Hutch via Free Agency
A true #1 CB via trade or draft
Upgrades at LB
Line depth on both sides
A kicker they can trust
The Lions are pretty stscked at LB, perhaps their deepest positional group. Anzalone has come on and is very solid the last two seasons. Jack Campbell came on strong towards the end of the season and will be a beast. Derrick Barnes had a slow start his first and second year, but looked really good this season. Reeves-Maybin and Malcolm Rodiguez contribute when needed. The Lions were one of the toughest teams in the NFL to run against, and the LB did fairly decent in coverage.

Of course the first two items are a given and I gaurentee Brad Holmes will address them in FA and the draft. CB1 was their most glaring weakness last season.

Without a question the Kicker spot has to be a priority.

When you see the KC kicker and Moody nailing kicks from 55 in a Superbowl that would have been good from 65..that is trust. Ravens have Tucker who can do the same, Lions were the only team in the final 4 that had no faith in their kicker.

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have signed the Canadian Football League’s reigning most outstanding defensive player.

Mathieu Betts, who the Lions hosted on a free-agent tryout back in December, is a free-agent signing and not a futures deal since it’s after the Super Bowl.

Betts has spent the previous two seasons starring for the BC Lions. He had 18 sacks and four forced fumbles in 18 games for Canada’s Lions.

IIRC Betts worked out for two other teams - Bills & Browns. Guess he was determined to be near Lake Erie.

Not a lot of precedent for CFL pass rushers with a successful transition to NFL stardom but Cameron Wake comes to mind. Set a CFL record for sacks last year. 28 y.o., doubtful this signing amounts to anything but probably a low cost, low risk kick the tires kind of thing.

When you see the KC kicker and Moody nailing kicks from 55 in a Superbowl that would have been good from 65..that is trust. Ravens have Tucker who can do the same, Lions were the only team in the final 4 that had no faith in their kicker.
I wonder if there's a preferred strategy for finding a good kicker. Clearly, "early round pick" and "hold auditions for every guy in the Chicago phone book and have them attempt the exact distance we lost on in last year's playoff" were disasters.

Seems like spending a late-rounder on a rookie is the way to go

I wonder if there's a preferred strategy for finding a good kicker. Clearly, "early round pick" and "hold auditions for every guy in the Chicago phone book and have them attempt the exact distance we lost on in last year's playoff" were disasters.

Seems like spending a late-rounder on a rookie is the way to go

Kickers are a crap shoot so I agree if they draft one it will be late.

I doubt if SF has the same view of Moody as you do. Moody has missed some very easy kicks which cost SF a few games this year including an extra point in the SB.

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have signed the Canadian Football League’s reigning most outstanding defensive player.

Mathieu Betts, who the Lions hosted on a free-agent tryout back in December, is a free-agent signing and not a futures deal since it’s after the Super Bowl.

Betts has spent the previous two seasons starring for the BC Lions. He had 18 sacks and four forced fumbles in 18 games for Canada’s Lions.

IIRC Betts worked out for two other teams - Bills & Browns. Guess he was determined to be near Lake Erie.

Not a lot of precedent for CFL pass rushers with a successful transition to NFL stardom but Cameron Wake comes to mind. Set a CFL record for sacks last year. 28 y.o., doubtful this signing amounts to anything but probably a low cost, low risk kick the tires kind of thing.

Obviously Betts is just a lottery ticket which shows some raw talent and good character qualities. Probably lucky to make the practice squad, but it shows Brad is willing to look everywhere for talent.

I don't see the Lions going out and putting out $25 million for a top CB or Edge. I could see getting a CB in the $12-15 range, but the Lions will still put the priority on culture/character fit. Moseley could be a cheap prove it contract.

I doubt if SF has the same view of Moody as you do. Moody has missed some very easy kicks which cost SF a few games this year including an extra point in the SB.

Well they trotted him out there for 57 and 54 yards FGs so they have faith in Moody. They watch these guys every day in practice to then know what they are capable of. Moody's kick from 57 would have been good from 65 as it hit the middle of the net.

Not many teams would be willing to give Mahomes the ball at the 47 and 44.

Just want to encourage Lions fans to enjoy this moment: You get to ponder your team's options as one of the few favorites to reach the Super Bowl. You get to discuss their needs as possibly being the final piece to a championship. You get to legitimately discuss your team as being as likely as any other to represent the NFC. No jokes, no miracles, no everything falling into place perfectly for it to happen. They're one of the favored teams, and not because of potential or a late-season surge to provide some hope.

It's because they earned it in the regular season, and the playoffs. Because they're that respected now. Most fanbases don't have that, and you don't get it forever. So enjoy it while you have it. You deserve it.

Just want to encourage Lions fans to enjoy this moment: You get to ponder your team's options as one of the few favorites to reach the Super Bowl. You get to discuss their needs as possibly being the final piece to a championship. You get to legitimately discuss your team as being as likely as any other to represent the NFC. No jokes, no miracles, no everything falling into place perfectly for it to happen. They're one of the favored teams, and not because of potential or a late-season surge to provide some hope.

It's because they earned it in the regular season, and the playoffs. Because they're that respected now. Most fanbases don't have that, and you don't get it forever. So enjoy it while you have it. You deserve it.

I think we are. Usually by now we have conducted 102 mock drafts with the first being sometime in November.

Watched some film of him last night. 6-0, 248lb DE. Looked good for the CFL, but not explosive or overly athletic.

Holmes must have seen enough to take a closer look so why not kick the tires.

Big T is surely recommending Denico Autry and Al Shaair to anyone that'll listen.

If the Titans don't re-sign them the Lions will since neither appears to be too too expensive.

The Titans had a ton of injuries on the DL and we're starting street free agents that played remarkably well. A couple of them probably make it to Lions camp as cheap DL are hard to find

Teair Tart is a fantastic beast of a NT with an attitude problem. The Titans surprisingly cut him after Big Ts recommendation. The Texans enjoyed his play for a couple weeks then had enough of his attitude too. He could show up in Detroit with crow on his lips and a sign begging for work.

Terrell can't be everywhere at every time but they're surely asking him about everyone he coached in the senior bowl.

You guys are gonna love the big teddy bear of an assistant head coach/advisor/ DL coach and whatever roles Campbell gives him. He's sooo simple and straight forward in interviews. Jealous he left and wish him all the best

Interior OL needs some draft picks. Doubt they shell out big money for Jackson and who knows how much longer Ragnow has.

Watched some film of him last night. 6-0, 248lb DE. Looked good for the CFL, but not explosive or overly athletic.

Holmes must have seen enough to take a closer look so why not kick the tires.
Who was the last CFL import to make a big impact? I'd be lying if I said I remembered anyone since Doug Flutie

It's unusual but also quite refreshing to be talking cherries and not ice cream.

It's unusual but also quite refreshing to be talking cherries and not ice cream.
Especially since the ice cream has usually been poo-flavored

notes to self: In Brad we trust; let Holmes cook

One of my favorite mock draft scenarios is taking a developmental Edge with tremendous upside. Admittedly my favorite thing about this guy is the lineage.

Jonah Elliss NFL Draft 2024: Scouting Report for Utah EDGE​

HEIGHT: 6'2"
WEIGHT: 246
HAND:
ARM:
WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:
3-CONE:
SHUTTLE:
VERTICAL:
BROAD:

POSITIVES
— Pretty quick off the ball with good acceleration off the line of scrimmage.
— Sets up his pass-rush moves well by getting square on the offensive tackle and using a Eurostep to get to the outside.
— Has shown a handful of pass-rush moves he can win with around the edge like a rip move and hand swipe to go along with a nice inside spin move as a counter.
— Solid strength to collapse the pocket with a bull rush or a push-pull move against weaker offensive tackles.
— Impressive grip strength to bring the quarterback down with one arm if the offensive lineman hangs onto him.
— Physical against the run and has decent upper-body strength in addition to long arms to get extension.

NEGATIVES
— Can be heavy-footed, which hurts his quickness.
— Lateral movement skills aren't good, which shows up the most when he's slanting or the looper in line games.
— Average bend. Won't turn a ton of tight corners as a pass-rusher at the next level.
— Pad level and lower-body strength are subpar, which impacts his ability to set the edge against the run, especially against better competition.
—Injuries over the last two years are starting to mount.

2023 STATISTICS
— 10 G, 37 TOT, 16.0 TFL, 12.0 SK, 3 PD, 1 FF

NOTES
— DOB: 4/3/2003 (turns 21 before draft)
— 3-star recruit in 2021 class, per 247Sports
— Injuries: 2023 (Undisclosed, season-ending, missed 3 games), 2022 (Undisclosed, missed 2 games; Non-football injury, missed spring practices)
— Father, Luther, had a 10-year NFL career and was a two-time Pro Bowler (currently Utah's DT Coach); brother, Kaden, is currently a linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons; brother, Christian, is currently a linebacker for the New England Patriots; brother, Noah, is currently a defensive tackle on the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad

QUICK HITS
  • 35 career games played as a Ute, 18 starts.
  • 2023 Consensus All-America
  • 2023 All-America First Team (FWAA; Phil Steele; Sporting News; Walter Camp)
  • 2023 All-America Second Team (AFCA; AP; CBS Sports; USA Today)
  • 2023 College Football Network All-America Third Team.
  • 2023 finalist for Polynesian College Football Player of the Year, the Lombardi Award, Lott IMPACT Trophy and Ted Hendricks Award.
  • Two-time Pac-12 All-Conference (2023 AP, Coaches and Phil Steele First Team; 2022 Coaches Honorable Mention)
  • Also was named a semifinalist for the 2023 Bednarik Award.
  • Moved from linebacker to defensive end before the 2022 season.
  • Wears the same jersey—No. 83—that his father, Luther Elliss, wore with the Utes from 1991-94.

OVERALL
After serving as more of a rotational player last season, Jonah Elliss earned a starting job during training camp this summer and burst onto the scene as a pass-rusher. He was highly productive this season and has several moves he can win with, showing some nuance as a rusher and the ability to defeat tackles with both power and finesse.

Ellis sets up his pass-rush move well during the stem phase of the rush by getting square to sell the bull rush so offensive tackles stop their feet and then using a Eurostep to win around the edge.
He also flashes hands to get tackles to throw their punch early and has an impressive inside spin move as a counter.

Elliss' biggest flaw as a rusher is that he has only average bend to turn a tight corner at the top of the rush. That could be a bigger issue in the NFL, but it's not as if he's terrible in this area and the problem can't be fixed.

Against the run, Elliss is physical at the point of attack and has long arms to help get extension. However, his lower body appears to be a little weak, as he struggles to set the edge against better competition/tackles. He has a top-heavy frame, as his legs are kind of wiry compared to the rest of his body.

Overall, the 20-year-old can contribute as a pass-rusher right away and could develop into at least a serviceable run defender. Schematically, he'd currently be best as a standup outside linebacker in odd fronts.

GRADE: 7.3 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter — 2nd Round)
OVERALL RANK: 54th
POSITION RANK: EDGE #6
PRO COMPARISON: Alex Highsmith

Jonah Elliss Utah highlights

notes to self: In Brad we trust; let Holmes cook

One of my favorite mock draft scenarios is taking a developmental Edge with tremendous upside. Admittedly my favorite thing about this guy is the lineage.

Jonah Elliss NFL Draft 2024: Scouting Report for Utah EDGE​

HEIGHT: 6'2"
WEIGHT: 246
HAND:
ARM:
WINGSPAN:

40-YARD DASH:
3-CONE:
SHUTTLE:
VERTICAL:
BROAD:

POSITIVES
— Pretty quick off the ball with good acceleration off the line of scrimmage.
— Sets up his pass-rush moves well by getting square on the offensive tackle and using a Eurostep to get to the outside.
— Has shown a handful of pass-rush moves he can win with around the edge like a rip move and hand swipe to go along with a nice inside spin move as a counter.
— Solid strength to collapse the pocket with a bull rush or a push-pull move against weaker offensive tackles.
— Impressive grip strength to bring the quarterback down with one arm if the offensive lineman hangs onto him.
— Physical against the run and has decent upper-body strength in addition to long arms to get extension.

NEGATIVES
— Can be heavy-footed, which hurts his quickness.
— Lateral movement skills aren't good, which shows up the most when he's slanting or the looper in line games.
— Average bend. Won't turn a ton of tight corners as a pass-rusher at the next level.
— Pad level and lower-body strength are subpar, which impacts his ability to set the edge against the run, especially against better competition.
—Injuries over the last two years are starting to mount.

2023 STATISTICS
— 10 G, 37 TOT, 16.0 TFL, 12.0 SK, 3 PD, 1 FF

NOTES
— DOB: 4/3/2003 (turns 21 before draft)
— 3-star recruit in 2021 class, per 247Sports
— Injuries: 2023 (Undisclosed, season-ending, missed 3 games), 2022 (Undisclosed, missed 2 games; Non-football injury, missed spring practices)
— Father, Luther, had a 10-year NFL career and was a two-time Pro Bowler (currently Utah's DT Coach); brother, Kaden, is currently a linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons; brother, Christian, is currently a linebacker for the New England Patriots; brother, Noah, is currently a defensive tackle on the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad

QUICK HITS
  • 35 career games played as a Ute, 18 starts.
  • 2023 Consensus All-America
  • 2023 All-America First Team (FWAA; Phil Steele; Sporting News; Walter Camp)
  • 2023 All-America Second Team (AFCA; AP; CBS Sports; USA Today)
  • 2023 College Football Network All-America Third Team.
  • 2023 finalist for Polynesian College Football Player of the Year, the Lombardi Award, Lott IMPACT Trophy and Ted Hendricks Award.
  • Two-time Pac-12 All-Conference (2023 AP, Coaches and Phil Steele First Team; 2022 Coaches Honorable Mention)
  • Also was named a semifinalist for the 2023 Bednarik Award.
  • Moved from linebacker to defensive end before the 2022 season.
  • Wears the same jersey—No. 83—that his father, Luther Elliss, wore with the Utes from 1991-94.

OVERALL
After serving as more of a rotational player last season, Jonah Elliss earned a starting job during training camp this summer and burst onto the scene as a pass-rusher. He was highly productive this season and has several moves he can win with, showing some nuance as a rusher and the ability to defeat tackles with both power and finesse.

Ellis sets up his pass-rush move well during the stem phase of the rush by getting square to sell the bull rush so offensive tackles stop their feet and then using a Eurostep to win around the edge.
He also flashes hands to get tackles to throw their punch early and has an impressive inside spin move as a counter.

Elliss' biggest flaw as a rusher is that he has only average bend to turn a tight corner at the top of the rush. That could be a bigger issue in the NFL, but it's not as if he's terrible in this area and the problem can't be fixed.

Against the run, Elliss is physical at the point of attack and has long arms to help get extension. However, his lower body appears to be a little weak, as he struggles to set the edge against better competition/tackles. He has a top-heavy frame, as his legs are kind of wiry compared to the rest of his body.

Overall, the 20-year-old can contribute as a pass-rusher right away and could develop into at least a serviceable run defender. Schematically, he'd currently be best as a standup outside linebacker in odd fronts.

GRADE: 7.3 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter — 2nd Round)
OVERALL RANK: 54th
POSITION RANK: EDGE #6
PRO COMPARISON: Alex Highsmith

Jonah Elliss Utah highlights
Tankathon has him going #70, as long as he doesn't move up he could be there for the Lions at #61 in the 2nd round.

Lions are releasing safety Tracy Walker. He was due to have a $12.8 million cap hit but they will save $5.5 million by releasing him but they will take a $7.8 million cap hit.

Lions are releasing safety Tracy Walker. He was due to have a $12.8 million cap hit but they will save $5.5 million by releasing him but they will take a $7.8 million cap hit.

Not too surprising, although it really does underscore how cutthroat the business end can be. 18 months ago he was clearly the best DB on the team, team captain and had just gotten paid. He’s a good dude and worked hard coming back from a torn achilles.

That said, the critical lineup decision which turned the D around was inserting Ifeatu Melifonwu and benching TW3 from week 14 onward.

He’s still on the right side of 30, might catch on elsewhere.

If you want to have an idea of how Lions view their players, you might want to look at Emory Hunt's draft guide. His player positional rankings tend to line up well with how the Lions end up drafting.

Last year the Lions had the 3rd most Draft Capital.

I have no idea about the final tally - Holmes made 6 trades during the draft - but tbh the great draft was largely due to the accumulated picks in the first 3 rounds.

They nailed 3 of the the first 4 picks, and Jack Campbell ended the year trending in the right direction.

TBD on Hooker (DNP), Martin (28 snaps), Sorsdal (41.8 PFF grade), and Green (57 snaps.)

Far different scenario will unfold for 2024:
  1. 29
  2. 61
  3. 73
  4. none
  5. 163
  6. 207
  7. 247
Pre-draft, before trades, they enter the 2024 NFL Draft ranked 23rd in draft capital.
  1. CHI 4720.5
  2. WAS 4138
  3. ARI 3832.7
  4. NE 3150.4
  5. NYG 2911.4
  6. LAC 2615.0
  7. ATL 2405.8
  8. TEN 2165.4
  9. MIN 1934.4
  10. LV 1929.2
  11. GB 1902.0
  12. PHI 1795.7
  13. IND 1774.6
  14. NYJ 1685.6
  15. JAC 1668.4
  16. NO 1663.0
  17. LAR 1642.0
  18. CIN 1630.7
  19. PIT 1529.6
  20. DEN 1510.4
  21. SEA 1498.0
  22. HOU 1338.0
  23. DET 1324.8
  24. DAL 12645.4
  25. SF 1233.7
  26. TB 1233.2
  27. MIA 1208.0
  28. BUF 1198.2
  29. BAL 1140.4
  30. KC 1090.8
  31. CAR 972.5
  32. CLE 611.7
Brad Holmes has had three good drafts in a row, no reason to think that won't continue, but this year is a far bigger challenge. There's no way they have a Penei or Hutch fall to them.

typical mock draft I am getting at PFF:

1. (29) CB Ennis Rakestraw Jr, Missouri PFF Big Board Ranking 29th

Already off the board:
    CB Cooper DeJean Iowa 7th
    CB Nate Wiggins Clemson 9th
    CB Quinyon Mitchell 13th
    CB Terrion Arnold Alabama 14th
    CB Kool-Aid McKinstry Alabama 21st
    ED Dallas Turner Alabama 15th
    ED Jared Verse Florida State 16th
    ED Laiatu Latu UCLA 19th

Other possibilities: CB T.J. Tampa, Iowa State (38th), CB Kamri Lassiter (43rd), ED Chris Braswell, Alabama (35th), ED Darius Robinson Missouri (45th), or either of the Penn State ED (#42 Adisa Isaac, #44 Chop Robinson)

2. (61) DI Kris Jenkins, Michigan 58th
  3. (73) ED Gabriel Murphy, UCLA 76th
    (92) CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame 92nd
  4. no pick
  5. (163) T Isaiah Adams, Illinois 127th
  6. (207) C Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin 210th
  7. (247) G Layden Robinson, Texas A&M 253rd
Of course I fully expect Holmes to execute sevreral trades so who knows where this is headed. Pre-combine, before we see who we sign in FA, pretty hard to predict where they'll be at. Right now th4e biggest needs are CB, DI, G, C, and ED.

Detroits Lions announce several coaching changes for 2024 season

The Detroit Lions announced three new hirings, and it appears six coaches will not return in 2024.

New Hires:
  • Deshea Townsend DBs coach & pass game coordinator (not CBs coach, as previously reported)
  • Terrell Williams run game coordinator/defensive line coach
  • Jim O’Neil defensive assistant (former DC for Browns & 49ers)
Unannounced changes (indirect evidence of coaches no longer with the team, i.e., removed from the team’s website & changed their social media / Linked In profiles)

6 departures:
  • Senior offensive assistant Jim Hostler
  • Defensive quality control coach Wayne Blair
  • DL coach John Scott Jr
  • CB coach Dre Bly
  • DBs coach Brian Duker (hired by Dolphins)
  • Senior defensive assistant John Fox
5 of the 6 reported to Aaron Glenn.

Hostler & Fox were both in advisory roles, described as “the assistant coach’s coaches”. Those roles were newly created, the positions did not exist in 2021-22. These type of consultant roles are not uncommon and are typically short term stop gaps, in effect doing a friend a solid until the next hiring cycle.

typical mock draft I am getting at PFF:

1. (29) CB Ennis Rakestraw Jr, Missouri PFF Big Board Ranking 29th

Already off the board:
    CB Cooper DeJean Iowa 7th
    CB Nate Wiggins Clemson 9th
    CB Quinyon Mitchell 13th
    CB Terrion Arnold Alabama 14th
    CB Kool-Aid McKinstry Alabama 21st
    ED Dallas Turner Alabama 15th
    ED Jared Verse Florida State 16th
    ED Laiatu Latu UCLA 19th

Other possibilities: CB T.J. Tampa, Iowa State (38th), CB Kamri Lassiter (43rd), ED Chris Braswell, Alabama (35th), ED Darius Robinson Missouri (45th), or either of the Penn State ED (#42 Adisa Isaac, #44 Chop Robinson)

2. (61) DI Kris Jenkins, Michigan 58th
  3. (73) ED Gabriel Murphy, UCLA 76th
    (92) CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame 92nd
  4. no pick
  5. (163) T Isaiah Adams, Illinois 127th
  6. (207) C Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin 210th
  7. (247) G Layden Robinson, Texas A&M 253rd
Of course I fully expect Holmes to execute sevreral trades so who knows where this is headed. Pre-combine, before we see who we sign in FA, pretty hard to predict where they'll be at. Right now th4e biggest needs are CB, DI, G, C, and ED.
Holmes tends to not draft for need, he takes care of that in the FA beforehand. It frees his hand to grab the best fit for the team, or in his words "Not every player can be a Lion". Thus, I don't think for the most part mock drafts are going to be any help sorting where Holmes is heading or what he is thinking. He could draft a WR at 29 if he thinks that is the best player available, there is simply no telling with this guy.

Great point @BobbyLayne , this will be a more challenging draft for Holmes due to draft position. I do wonder if they can fill some gaps through FA if he would move up for an impact player but time will tell. Holmes has certainly earned my trust and I am pumped to see how they navigate the off-season. I know defense is the focus, but I am almost as concerned about keeping our oline at full strength. Ragnow‘s health and the potential holes at guard could limit us greatly on the offensive side. Goff running for his life gives me nightmares.

How each 2023 Playoff team stands as we head into the 2024 Offseason:

Chiefs:
25 Free Agents (8 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$27.7M Cap Space

49ers:
21 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$834k Cap Space

Ravens:
23 Free Agents (8 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$18.5M Cap Space

Lions:
25 Free Agents (4 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$63.7M Cap Space

Bills:
22 Free Agents (4 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$41.0M Cap Space

Texans:
28 Free Agents (9 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$67.5M Cap Space

Buccaneers:
20 Free Agents (9 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$45.5M Cap Space

Packers:
18 Free Agents (4 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$8.1M Cap Space

Cowboys:
14 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$8.1M Cap Space

Browns:
24 Free Agents (4 Starters)
1 top 75 Draft Pick
-$6.2M Cap Space

Eagles:
18 Free Agents (6 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$32.0M Cap Space

Dolphins:
26 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$38.5M Cap Space

Steelers:
19 Free Agents (3 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$7.4M Cap Space

Rams:
17 Free Agents (6 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$46.0 Cap Space

How each 2023 Playoff team stands as we head into the 2024 Offseason:

Chiefs:
25 Free Agents (8 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$27.7M Cap Space

49ers:
21 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$834k Cap Space

Ravens:
23 Free Agents (8 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$18.5M Cap Space

Lions:
25 Free Agents (4 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$63.7M Cap Space

Bills:
22 Free Agents (4 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$41.0M Cap Space

Texans:
28 Free Agents (9 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$67.5M Cap Space

Buccaneers:
20 Free Agents (9 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$45.5M Cap Space

Packers:
18 Free Agents (4 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$8.1M Cap Space

Cowboys:
14 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$8.1M Cap Space

Browns:
24 Free Agents (4 Starters)
1 top 75 Draft Pick
-$6.2M Cap Space

Eagles:
18 Free Agents (6 Starters)
3 top 75 Draft Picks
$32.0M Cap Space

Dolphins:
26 Free Agents (7 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
-$38.5M Cap Space

Steelers:
19 Free Agents (3 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$7.4M Cap Space

Rams:
17 Free Agents (6 Starters)
2 top 75 Draft Picks
$46.0 Cap Space
The Lions have a much better situation than almost all of those teams.

Users who are viewing this thread