What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions 4-1: Lions destroy Cowboys, a great win but bittersweet. (22 Viewers)

The Raiders could certainly use Hooker, but I seriously doubt Crosby is going anywhere. In the trade scenario I mentioned earlier, Hooker would only be part of the deal.

Crosby would simply cost too much and they're unlikely to move him, anyway. Not sure who it was, but it was reported a team offered a 1st for Crosby and the Raiders weren't the least bit interested. Besides, no way I'd move Hooker if I were Detroit. They need to get something done with another asset(s).
Crosby would be a FA at the end of 2026, not sure how that works with the Lions cap and upcoming contracts they need to hand out. I am guessing Crosby would want a new deal extension in 25 if he performed well. With the Hutch deal coming up it may not be in the cards.

Raiders just gave away a Pro-Bowl WR in Adams for a third round pick. Why not Crosby?? Keep him this year and next then move him down the line if her wants a new deal

rookie deal:

Alim McNeillLions24$5,129,182$1,282,296$1,090,312$1,090,3122025 UFA

new deal (not all details released yet)

PlayerTeamAgeTotal
Value
Avg./YearTotal
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Chris JonesChiefs30$158,750,000$31,750,000$95,000,000$60,000,0002029 UFA
Christian WilkinsRaiders29$110,000,000$27,500,000$82,750,000$57,500,0002028 Void
Nnamdi MadubuikeRavens27$98,000,000$24,500,000$75,500,000$48,500,0002028 Void
Alim McNeillLions24$97,000,000$24,250,000$55,000,000????2028 UFA?
Derrick BrownPanthers26$96,000,000$24,000,000$63,165,000$41,165,0002029 UFA
Quinnen WilliamsJets27$96,000,000$24,000,000$66,000,000$47,835,0002028 Void
Jeffery SimmonsTitans27$94,000,000$23,500,000$59,330,000$47,830,0002028 UFA

@PFF_Lion

·1h

Alim McNeill among IDL since 2023:

88.5 PFF grade (6th)

Locked up $$$$

Players the Lions have extended this year:
  • QB Jared Goff
  • RB David Montgomery
  • WR Amon-Ra St. Brown
  • RT Penei Sewel
  • lLT Taylor Decker
  • DT Alim McNeill

Aidan Hutchinson Final 2024 PFF Statistics:

• 94.9 Defensive Grade (1st NFL)
• 95.0 Pass Rush Grade (1st DL)
• 45 Total QB Pressures (1st)
• 8 Sacks (t-1st)
• 8 QB Hits (1st)
• 29 Hurries (1st)
• 14.7 Pass Rush Productivity Grade (1st)
• 38.3% Pass Rush Win Rate (1st)

Pretty sure Adams was dying to go join ARod. Everything I've heard said Maxx wants to stay put. Maybe the Raiders would listen, but don't think they will actually do it.

Yeah that's what I have been saying, long before Aidan was hurt. Maxx is the Raiders. Dude is loyalty personified. He's not gonna bail because things aren't going the way they hoped. He'll keep playing like his hair is on fire because that dude only has one gear. Las Vegas is lucky to have him.

Next up for a big signing?

Hutch, as soon as he shows he is healthy.

Kerby....him and BB are looking like the best safety duo in the league.

I am sure there are a few others like Anzalone. Brad's plan is to spend on our guys we know fit our culture. Brad only likes smaller short-term gambles on outside players. Brad is playing the long game where draft Capitol is critical to keep adding years to the window.

Raiders best chance for a re-set is to properly tank and grab a QB. Surely at least a call needs to occur. Not even for this season.. Crosby and Hutch together with Alim would be legit amazing

Raiders best chance for a re-set is to properly tank and grab a QB. Surely at least a call needs to occur. Not even for this season.. Crosby and Hutch together with Alim would be legit amazing

Brother man, I agree & would love to see it, but it's just not going to happen.

Davante Adams is the guy who, this past summer on the Netflix WR seriez, defined greatness as individual achievement.

Maxx Crosby is the guy who:
  • got a Raiders tattoo before his rookie contract expired
  • has spoken about winning a Super Bowl for the Raiders, a once franchise that once upon a time was known for "commitment to excellence"
  • is inspired by NBA legends Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant, who won championships with their original teams
  • says he doesn't want to take the "easier road traveled" by moving to another franchise to win
  • signed a four-year, $94 million contract extension with the Raiders in 2022
  • has said that he doesn't want to be anywhere else and that he's a Raider for life
Stop thirsting for Maxx; no means no.

:lol:

The only name that makes perfect sense for a replacement for Aidan Hutchinson right now is Za'Darius Smith. I mean, think about it: Myles Garrett doesn't have any sacks yet, and the Browns are just wasting the talents of Za'Darius Smith. If the Lions were to go get someone like him, I could see the defense being a top-10 unit.

Saw an interview with a U-M sports doctor last night who talked about the Hutch injury. When asked if he could return at some point this year he kinda shook his head and said it would not be wise to risk a big setback . Compared it to Zak Zinters. At least 4-6 months for bone to heal 100% properly. Said Hutch might to be able to do light jogging by Christmas.

But to play in a NFL game again this year where the demands on the body are so intense it would not be a good idea.

Saw an interview with a U-M sports doctor last night who talked about the Hutch injury. When asked if he could return at some point this year he kinda shook his head and said it would not be wise to risk a big setback . Compared it to Zak Zinters. At least 4-6 months for bone to heal 100% properly. Said Hutch might to be able to do light jogging by Christmas.

But to play in a NFL game again this year where the demands on the body are so intense it would not be a good idea.

Is this the interview you saw?

Is this the interview you saw?

No. I will look for it.

The Dr did say with the rods and screws supporting the bones he would not be surprised to see Hutch at the game this week, or no later than next week on crutches, but mentioned the difference between healing and playing a NFL game.

Never know how things work out but I would be shocked if he is back on the field this season at anytime.

I would be shocked if he is back on the field this season at anytime

Tend to think that’s the realistic consensus view.

That said, I think the possibility is one helluva carrot. Aidan has a phenomenal work ethic, and belief is a powerful thing.

Agree, Hutch will work as hard as possible but this type of injury needs proper healing. A setback would be tragic. Right now they need to get past the first month as we saw with Alex Smith any type of infection is devastating.

Haason Reddick has reached out to Detroif for a trade deal with the Jets. Not sure he fits as a DE, but could step in as a SAM.
Is he willing to play without a new contract? Is he in shape? Is he going to fit in to the locker room?

Overall, this seems unlikely. I also saw that the trade to the Jets included a stipulation that Philly got a 2nd instead of a 3rd if Reddick was traded back into the NFC, so that makes it seem very unlikely.

I have no doubt the defense will elevate their play in Hutch’s absence. But he has accounted for for half of the teams sack total this year. We will need someone to generate some pressure at least situationally, and I am not confident that person is on the roster. I do have confidence that Holmes is looking at all possible alternatives and will find some help in that area one way or another.

All options on the table, but Lions won't be hurried into overreacting to Hutchinson injury​

JUSTIN ROGERS

Allen Park — Aidan Hutchinson had successful surgery to repair a fractured tibia and fibula in his left leg Sunday night, and even though the team said there was no recovery timetable in a statement, coach Dan Campbell casually pegged it at 4-6 months during his Monday afternoon press conference.

I’ll save you the trouble, the Super Bowl is Feb. 9, just shy of the low end of that estimation. And even if the scenario seems highly unlikely, Campbell wouldn’t dare shut down the possibility of a superhuman return to action if the Lions went on a historical run.

“I would never count Hutch out,” Campbell said. “Ever. So, yeah, probably a long road, but I would never count him out. I would say if anybody could make it back, it'd be him.

“…Just knowing Hutch, he's got one of those rare — if he believes in it, he can will himself to find a way to get back,” Campbell continued. “He’s one of those guys that the mind can heal the body, and he'll find the next best thing and do whatever it takes to get back.”

As much of a storybook ending as that would be to an otherwise terrible situation, the Lions still need to find a way to backfill Hutchinson’s workload, and at least a fraction of his league-leading pass-rush production, to achieve their Super Bowl aspirations.

Campbell made it clear all options are on the table. That includes the possibility of bringing in reinforcements via trade. But, for the time being, the team will be deliberate with its assessment of the situation, riding with the players in place before seeking an outside addition.

“I have a lot of faith in that d-line room,” Campbell said before listing nearly every lineman on the active roster and the practice squad.

That list included undrafted rookie Isaac Uwku — who made his professional debut against the Cowboys, picking up most of Hutchinson’s snaps in the second half — as well as Al-Quadin Muhammad, an experienced veteran the Lions added to the practice squad last week and who briefly overlapped with Campbell and defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn in New Orleans.

“Man, we're not panicked,” Campbell said. “(General manager) Brad (Holmes) and I are not panicked, and this team is not panicked. It's next man up, and if we have an area where we need some help, then we have to help each other out a little bit here and we may have to play a little bit different. And that's OK.

“I know AG (Glenn) is going to put together a hell of a game plan,” Campbell said. “He does every week. He's going to use everything that he has and the resources that we have. We'll be ready to go."

Regardless of Glenn’s game-planning acumen, and Campbell’s confidence in the roster's remaining options, it doesn’t alter the fact a Pro Bowler who plays nearly 90% of the team’s defensive snaps has been lost.

And that hit came a couple of weeks after Detroit’s other starting defensive end, Marcus Davenport, was similarly lost to a season-ending injury.

There’s a reason these guys were starters and leaned on so heavily when the same options now expected to step up and replace them were already here.

“It’s not like (Holmes) doesn’t look,” Campbell said. “He’s doing what he’s been doing. He’s looking. Is there somebody out there that can potentially help us? What is it going to cost? Those things will always come up. Just because that’s there doesn’t mean we’re going to do it. It’s got to be right. Everything has got to be right.

“Honestly, where we’re at now, we’re not in a hurry,” Campbell continued. “I believe in the guys that are here. I believe in that d-line. Doesn’t mean we’re not looking, we’re not evaluating. Brad is, that’s his job and he’s good at it. We’ll take it as it comes. But our eyes are open, and we want to make sure that we have what we need here."

“…If we get somebody, great. If we don't, these are our guys. The coaches know that. This is what we came into camp with. This is why we develop talent. It's next man up, and they've got to be ready to go.”

So refreshing to see how this organization operates compared to the lifetime of past leaders we have had. I think they bring someone in, although probably not a big name. That is fine as they are systematic in their approach and stick with that. Grow talent that fits and resign that talent, fill in with reasonably priced short term help that also fits.

What is it going to cost? Those things will always come up. Just because that’s there doesn’t mean we’re going to do it. It’s got to be right. Everything has got to be right.

On Pat McAfee show.

JJ Watt 'thinking' about it. He loves retirement, but Detroit is a great team, great situation, checks a lot of box, loves playing at Ford Field, loves Detroit and Dan Campbell....

A little more than Brad usually spends in FA, but no draft picks, no long-term commitment. Probably does not happen, but I like ot better than mortgaging the future.

I would be shocked if he is back on the field this season at anytime

Tend to think that’s the realistic consensus view.

That said, I think the possibility is one helluva carrot. Aidan has a phenomenal work ethic, and belief is a powerful thing.

Agree, Hutch will work as hard as possible but this type of injury needs proper healing. A setback would be tragic. Right now they need to get past the first month as we saw with Alex Smith any type of infection is devastating.
Agreed. No way they risk it. It would be idiotic. From what I can tell, this wasn't an open fracture so that's good. The biggest issue will be preventing foot drop caused by damage to the perineal nerve.

I saw confirmation that the fibula was also fractured so there's almost certainly ligament damage to some degree. Returning this season is a pipe dream, but there's nothing wrong with Hutchinson working his *** off (under supervision) to get back as quickly as humanly possible and even be mentally beneficial.

Check the Report

Injured reserve, Non-Football injury list

No practice

• C Frank Ragnow (rest)
  • RG Kevin Zeitler (rest)
  • OT Dan Skipper (ribs) — New injury
  • CB Carlton Davis (quad) — New injury
Ragnow and Zeiter are getting the veteran rest treatment, while Skipper sat out practice with a rib injury. It’s worth pointing out he did have a rib injury before the bye week, so there could have been a possible re-aggravation. That being said, Skipper played 11 snaps on Sunday, including lining up at wide receiver late in the game, there may be some precautionary measures in play here as well.

Carlton Davis lost his helmet while trying to make a tackle last Sunday, and during the play, he was kicked in the head by a teammate and removed from the game in order to be evaluated for a concussion. Campbell mentioned that Davis’ absence was not concussion-related, which means he was cleared on Sunday and likely held out for other reasons: precautionary or due to his quad injury.

“Yeah, I feel good about (Davis’ game status) right now,” Campbell said. “There is a small chance that maybe (he doesn’t play), but I will know a lot more tomorrow on this. I don’t see him practicing today, but I feel optimistic.”

Limited practice

• S Brian Branch (knee) — New Injury
Branch has a new knee injury, but it didn’t appear to limit him last week against the Cowboys. He did rest in the final quarter of the game, but that was when Detroit pulled most of their defensive starters.

Full practice

• G Christian Mahogany (illness, NFI) —Still on NFI: 12 days remain in evaluation window
Mahogany continues to work his way through the injury evaluation process, but with 12 days remaining, don’t expect the Lions to be in a rush to make a decision on his roster status. Early expectations are that he will get in a full week of practice, then be ruled out for the game, before returning for his final practices next week.

Vikings' initial injury report

No Practice
  • RB Aaron Jones (hamstring)
  • DT Harrison Phillips (shoulder)
  • EDGE Patrick Jones (shoulder)
  • LB Blake Cashman (toe) — not expected to play
  • CB Akaleb Evans (hip)
Limited
  • TE T.J. Hockenson (knee) — still on IR, in the injury evaluation window
  • G Dalton Risner (back) — still on IR, in the injury evaluation window
Full practice
  • TE Josh Oliver (wrist)
  • S Theo Jackson (hand)

House of Hutch merch shop

Aidan Hutchinson's website sells merch to support his Hutch's Heroes foundation, "dedicated to making a difference in the lives of local children battling life-threatening illnesses." Chance to turn something horrible into something good.​

Kind of digging that Resurget Cineribus ball cap.

From the Detroit motto

Speramus Meliora, Resurget Cineribus

Meaning; We hope for better things, it will rise from the ashes

Thursdays is media day for the coordinators

Coordinator recap: How appreciation for Saints defensive scheme fueled Lions to find their talented safety tandem players​

Justin Rogers
October 17

Allen Park —
Since arriving in Detroit in 2021, defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn has extolled the virtues of quality safety play. Well, after three seasons of mixing and matching in the back end, Glenn arguably possesses the league’s best tandem in Kerby Joseph and Brian Branch.

While the rest of the league seemingly undervalues the position, both in the draft and free agency, the Lions are reaping the rewards of putting an emphasis on safety play, not dissimilar to their investment in another undervalued position, running back.

On Thursday, I asked Glenn to elaborate on where the root of his love for safeties began and he took us back to his time with the Saints.

“This is something that actually started in New Orleans, my first year there, understanding exactly the type of defense that we were trying to play,” Glenn said. “That’s a multitude of different coverages in the back end, and that requires safeties to actually communicate at a high level. That’s the first thing. The second thing is it requires safeties that can play man coverage, and that’s across the board on our defense. And thirdly, safeties (that) are highly instinctive, that can understand where the ball is going to go, and make plays on the ball.

“As you can see, our guys are doing a really good job of that,” Glenn continued. “That’s just how the system is built and I love safeties that can play that way. I think it allows your corners to play with leverage (and) it allows your safeties to have a little freedom within the defense to go make plays.

Glenn said he sees a lot of similarities in his current pairing to the one he had in New Orleans with Malcolm Jenkins and Marcus Williams.

Not alone​

Another team that values safeties is Detroit’s upcoming opponent, the Minnesota Vikings. Harrison Smith has patrolled the back end for the franchise the past 13 seasons, earning six Pro Bowl selections.

Smith is paired with former Michigan standout Josh Metellus, who is in his second season as a full-time starter after really coming into his own in 2023.

“Yeah, he’s a little bit of a unicorn,” Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson said. “He can do a little bit of everything — a Swiss army knife. He’s a pseudo linebacker, pseudo safety, pseudo nickel, limes up all over the place, great blitzer, great cover guy. I really can’t say enough good things about him because he’s a great chess piece that they like to play around with.”

Sounds a little bit like Branch, no?

Accelerated evaluation​

Glenn doesn’t have time to worry about players not on his roster, so he has no idea why recent acquisition Isaiah Thomas hasn’t had a bigger impact in his first three seasons, despite having an excellent combination of size and athleticism for an edge rusher.

“The only thing I do know is he has the measurables like you just said,” Glenn said. “Listen, we just got the player, so we have to figure out what the player can do well. Once we figure that out, we’ll be able to put him in spots to go in and help us on defense.”

I asked Glenn his process for quickly determining what a player can do when the need for help is so urgent following season-ending injuries to Aidan Hutchinson and Marcus Davenport.

“It’s always hard to do, but that’s why we practice the way that we practice,” Glenn said. “We’re not one of these teams that are going to (practice) without pads on. We’re going to play. …So he’s going to have a chance to go out there and practice against one of the best o-lines in the league and see exactly what he can do. That’s going to tell us how we can play him.”

It’s such an obvious point that it’s embarrassing I hadn’t considered it before asking. Thomas will have the opportunity to match up against Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell during the next few days, accelerating the team's ability to evaluate the defender's abilities against elite blockers.

(Coordinators cont.)

Speedy delivery​

Each week, it feels as if special teams coordinator Dave Fipp finds a way to squeeze in some praise for rookie long snapper Hogan Hatten.

Asked to elaborate, Fipp noted Hatten’s velocity and placement are excellent, particularly on field goals. Typically, the entire operation takes 1.3 seconds, but if the ball reaches holder Jack Fox even a fraction of a second sooner, it gives him more time to get the hold perfect for kicker Jake Bates.

"When I came in here (in 2021), you guys asked me about (former Lions kicker Matt) Prater and I said that a big part of his challenge is his last year here, in my opinion, was more of the operation than it was him directly,” Fipp said. “It can influence a kicker's results quite a bit, which is weird, because no one ever talks about it. Then that number gets tagged to one of these kickers and everyone says the guy’s an inaccurate kicker or he’s not very good and it’s like, ‘Well, the truth might be somewhere in between that.’ So, the snap’s critical.”

During the Lions’ bye, the Chicago Bears had to turn to a backup snapper due to an injury. Tight end Cole Kmet handled things admirably in that contest, so I asked Fipp who Detroit’s emergency option is and how often they get a chance to practice it.

Turns out it was Hutchinson, so that's another problem the Lions need to solve after the defender's season-ending injury.

“Fortunately for us, we do have a number of other guys that can also snap too, (Alex) Anzalone being one of them. And we have, actually, several more, but we’ll see where we go from there. But yeah, you hope you never wind up in that situation.”

Best of tap

Justin Jefferson is sixth in receiving yards and fifth in yards per game, but Glenn has little doubt the Vikings star is still the NFL’s gold standard at his the position.

“In my opinion, I think he’s the best receiver in the league,” Glenn said. “…I think the one thing that sets him apart is his toughness. This guy here has taken some shots going across the middle. He’s not afraid to go across the middle, and he’s going to reach, grab and do whatever he can to catch the ball. He takes some shots, he gets right back up. He has a swagger about himself. He gets right back to the huddle, he’s ready to go play, and I think that inspires his teammates. You’re talking about a great player that elevates his teammates.”

In 2022, Glenn devised a game plan that shut down Jefferson, limiting him to three catches and 14 yards. Still, the receiver went on to win the league’s Offensive Player of the Year award that year, getting a measure of revenge against the Lions along the way with 11 receptions for a season-high 223 yards in a Week 14 matchup.

“Well, it shows his ability of who he is and I think the coaching staff did a really good job of trying to get him in positions to where you just can’t press him and things like that,” Glenn said. “They move him around quite a bit against us, and we have to do a really good job with our coverage responsibility to make sure that we’re on point (and our alignments are right.”

Jefferson also crushed the Lions last season, catching 18 balls for 333 yards and two scores in the two meetings.

Having all the answers​

Despite opponents recognizing Jameson Williams’ ability to take the top off the defense, the Lions’ versatile offensive attack continues to force teams to pick their poison, according to Johnson.

“Defenses don’t want to single (cover) him because he will make them pay,” Johnson said. “They’re not as fast as him. It’s as simple as that. Hopefully, we continue to get these one-on-one matchups because we are so dynamic elsewhere, as well.

“I think early on in that game last week, (Dallas) had the philosophy to play more two high (safeties) to limit guys like Jameson, and you saw what our run game did early on in that game. Then they start coming down, Jamo gets some great access looks in man-to-man, and he’s able to take advantage of it. So we played the game of how much attention are they going to pay to him and the moment they give too much to him, we’ll go the other way. But the moment they single him up, we’ll try to make them pay.”

Williams has been a big-play machine for the Lions this season. Through five games, he has three receptions of 50 yards or more and seven of at least 20.

Strategy under fire​

In recent weeks, there have been a couple of blocked field goal tries where the defensive team is testing the limits of the rules by having one lineman pin the snapper to the ground while a teammate jumps over the line of scrimmage.

After one such play in a game between the Seattle Seahawks and New York Giants, the technique was deemed legal.

“Pushing down alone is not a foul and there was no forcible contact to the head and neck,” the league’s head of officiating told a pool reporter.

Fipp, who has never liked commenting on potential rule changes, wouldn’t weigh in on whether he expected the league to make an alteration in the offseason, but he didn’t hide his disdain for the approach.

“Those guys are pushing down on top of those guys,” Fipp said. “It’s a weird thing to me because I don’t really agree with being able to drive a guy down into the ground and jump over the top of him and I’ve expressed that to the league before. “Whether you call it a hold or a pull-and-shoot, you’re pushing the guy down and shooting the gap over the top of him and restricting him from being able to do his job. I don’t love that.”

The NFL already changed its rules regarding being able to jump over the line in 2017 in the name of player safety. Defenders can still hurdle, but are no longer allowed to get a running start.

Additionally, any contact with a blocker draws a flag. Obviously, pinning a blocker to the ground helps prevent that contact.

I had exactly this injury a few years ago. Early rehab sucks because you can't weight-bear until the leg heals sufficiently; not even a walking boot for probably the first month. The good news is, it's the kind of injury that bodies are pretty good at healing. They'll likely install a tibial nail, with screws bottom and top, and maybe some plates and more screws depending on whether it's broken in more than one place. Once the bone has regrown it'll be stronger than before.

Lower-body conditioning will mostly go away with non-weight-bearing for 1-2 months. But once I got back on the bike it built back pretty quickly, and once the bone had rejoined my doc released me for all activities. That was probably more like 3 months than 4-6. Absent any complications he should at least be able to be back working on conditioning by the end of the year. A return to game action could be possible in January. Unlike with soft tissue injuries, once the bone is set it's not likely to be reinjured.

My
Got one more in ya, Tarik?

@Da Guru - that’s your best thread [title] this year

Unrelated ETA - anyone know a good resource for recognizing early onset of Alzheimer’s? Asking for a friend…
My best friend in the world was diagnosed last year at 58. We’ve been best friends since 1980. He’s been married to my sister for 30 years.
It’s amazingly crappy. But I know things. PM me.

My

Unrelated ETA - anyone know a good resource for recognizing early onset of Alzheimer’s? Asking for a friend…
My best friend in the world was diagnosed last year at 58. We’ve been best friends since 1980. He’s been married to my sister for 30 years.

I’m sorry to hear about your BIL, @kutta

I was making a funny about my own cognitive decline…frequently leave words out lately

in poor taste…for far too many of us, it’s personal…my dad had it & I worry I might one day…

going to a funeral if a friend tomorrow, fellow vet only 4 years older than me

used to go to more weddings & graduations, now it’s Homegoings & Wakes lol

Hope you’re doing well, GB

My

I’m sorry to hear about your BIL, @kutta

I was making a funny about my own cognitive decline…frequently leave words out lately

in poor taste…for far too many of us, it’s personal…my dad had it & I worry I might one day…

going to a funeral if a friend tomorrow, fellow vet only 4 years older than me

used to go to more weddings & graduations, now it’s Homegoings & Wakes lol

Hope you’re doing well, GB
Well dang! You had me worried there for a second mi amigo!
Glad you’re ok. I see the “A” word and it hits pretty hard.

Let’s get back to our regularly scheduled program.

Users who are viewing this thread