What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (68 Viewers)

I have been a fan since 1988.  Moving around so much I never had a true "home" team.  I have always been asked why I stay a Lions fan, I always shrugged.

Thinking about it today, there has been a relatively stable supply of top tier players to watch.  Barry, Gray, Herman, Calvin, Stafford.... even Hanson.

I truly wonder if there is anything to keep me here if/when Stafford fades away.

Well they got screwed out of a win vs. GB and then Stafford got hurt, don't think you can fire the guy, think you have to give him at least another year.
Losing out might change that perception.

Like the team, I’m fighting apathy in 2019. Haven’t watched a single down since the MNF game. That’s like the 6th or 7th time since “he didn’t complete the process” the league has admitted the crew blew a game changing all that went against the Lions. Just weary of the franchise & the joke of a league they play in, don’t see any evidence either will change in the foreseeable future.

Probably my last year of FF as well. 25 years running a league & I’ve never started a bye week / injured player. Spent 10-15 minutes on my team last night & realized I had four goose eggs from Week 11 from players that were hurt or had the week off (lost by 20 with about 50 on the bench.)

Time to hang it up, as a fan and a manger.

I agree a little that it is not all Pattys fault.  Quinn drafted Hock #1 and signed James to a huge deal and getting almost zero production from the TE position. Quinn has drafted Centers, MLs and TEs in the first and second rd.   Successful teams get these positions in the 3-4-5th rounds. 
and a really really really slow CB and traded up for a RB in the 2nd

Last edited by a moderator:
Might as well change the title to 3-12-1. D looks not-awful against a team that can't score TDs and they still find a way to lose. I fear and pity the team that loses to these Lions.

Crank up the talk of who's good in the top 5, what percentage of the staff will be back, and how much the Fords are paying attentions. You know, more than usual.

Might as well change the title to 3-12-1. D looks not-awful against a team that can't score TDs and they still find a way to lose. I fear and pity the team that loses to these Lions.

Crank up the talk of who's good in the top 5, what percentage of the staff will be back, and how much the Fords are paying attentions. You know, more than usual.
They lost to a guy who could not hit the side of a barn if a tornado blew the barn into him.

So I still think that Quinn/Patricia should get one more year - even in the event they lose out. 

But I understand if some were to disagree.

I agree a little that it is not all Pattys fault.  Quinn drafted Hock #1 and signed James to a huge deal and getting almost zero production from the TE position. Quinn has drafted Centers, MLs and TEs in the first and second rd.   Successful teams get these positions in the 3-4-5th rounds. 
and a really really really slow CB and traded up for a RB in the 2nd
Quinn has had decent success in rounds 3-5. Several good, solid players like Golladay or Glasgow.

What he hasn’t done is draft difference makers in the 1st or 2nd round.

Taylor Decker peaked his rookie year. Jarred Davis has never been consistent. Teez was a bust. Ragnow and Kerryon are above average but the latter can’t stay healthy. Hock you have to wait a few years to see how much he develops, but the raw material is there.

IDK how Patricia survives. They are pathetic right now.

Quinn has had decent success in rounds 3-5. Several good, solid players like Golladay or Glasgow.

What he hasn’t done is draft difference makers in the 1st or 2nd round.

Taylor Decker peaked his rookie year. Jarred Davis has never been consistent. Teez was a bust. Ragnow and Kerryon are above average but the latter can’t stay healthy. Hock you have to wait a few years to see how much he develops, but the raw material is there.

IDK how Patricia survives. They are pathetic right now.
It’s just poor strategy to spend those high value picks on lower impact positions. 

Golladay is going to command big $ after 2020. Hope they don't franchise him. I want him outta there.

Quinn and Patricia need to be fired the minute the season ends. Quinn fired Caldwell because going 9-7 and losing in 2 playoff appearances wasnt good enough but lets see if he applies the same standard to his best buddy Matt.  After we lose to the lowly Bears on Thanksgiving in some horrible,ugly fashion the DC or special teams coach will get fired in an attempt to show some leadership and accountability. 

lod001 said:
Golladay is going to command big $ after 2020. Hope they don't franchise him. I want him outta there.
As a fantasy dynasty player with Golladay or as an NFL fan who wants to see Golladay land on their team? Or are you a Lions fan who for some reason dislikes him?

Quinn and Patricia need to be fired the minute the season ends. Quinn fired Caldwell because going 9-7 and losing in 2 playoff appearances wasnt good enough but lets see if he applies the same standard to his best buddy Matt.  After we lose to the lowly Bears on Thanksgiving in some horrible,ugly fashion the DC or special teams coach will get fired in an attempt to show some leadership and accountability. 
The puppet D coordinator with get fired as well. Patricia will "take over" next year to show Martha his genius. 

They will also use the Stafford injury as an excuse too. Even though they were below .500 with him.

And finally, in an attempt to save his job, Quinn will not draft probably what this team needs in April (a QB) but instead a player that will have the most immediate impact now. 

The puppet D coordinator with get fired as well. Patricia will "take over" next year to show Martha his genius. 

They will also use the Stafford injury as an excuse too. Even though they were below .500 with him.

And finally, in an attempt to save his job, Quinn will not draft probably what this team needs in April (a QB) but instead a player that will have the most immediate impact now. 
I was with you until you suggested we should draft a QB. Brutal take. 

If anyone even begins to claim the Lions biggest need isn’t a pass rusher, I can’t take them serious. It’s by far the worst spot on the team and it’s one of the most important positions in the sport. This is a no brainer. Also Stafford is very good.

As a fantasy dynasty player with Golladay or as an NFL fan who wants to see Golladay land on their team? Or are you a Lions fan who for some reason dislikes him?
Fantasy. He's awesome and held back by Detroit coaching ineptitude. Detroit is notorious for ignoring their best WR in games. Having him run low % routes. Calvin went games where he was not even targeted in the 1st half....many times. Then after they fall way behind, throw to Calvin to catch up.

So Detroit will wait until they have dug a big hole, then use your star WR to try and dig out of it in the 4th Q.. Real NFL teams use their star WR to dig the other team a big hole. The best teams dig the hole and bury the other team.

If anyone even begins to claim the Lions biggest need isn’t a pass rusher, I can’t take them serious. It’s by far the worst spot on the team and it’s one of the most important positions in the sport. This is a no brainer. Also Stafford is very good.
If you are giving me the choice of a premier pass rusher vs. a qb I am with you.

Fantasy. He's awesome and held back by Detroit coaching ineptitude. Detroit is notorious for ignoring their best WR in games. Having him run low % routes. Calvin went games where he was not even targeted in the 1st half....many times. Then after they fall way behind, throw to Calvin to catch up.

So Detroit will wait until they have dug a big hole, then use your star WR to try and dig out of it in the 4th Q.. Real NFL teams use their star WR to dig the other team a big hole. The best teams dig the hole and bury the other team.
Interesting- I can’t make that kind of connection across GMs, HCs and OCs. I look at Golladay and see a best case scenario. He was a very under the radar prospect that the consensus saw as over drafted by Detroit. Now he’s in year 3 on pace for 63/1200/12. I would be careful what I wish for. My preference is Golladay stay connected to Stafford as long as possible. 

But even a premier CB or a premier OT. Stafford is a long way from the problem.
If Quinn had drafted Bush and Greedy Williams instead of Hock and Tavai we'd be in much better shape right now. I liked the Dekker pick at the time but he seems to be getting worse every year.

I was with you until you suggested we should draft a QB. Brutal take. 
It's far from a brutal take. We look to be heading towards a top 10 pick in a QB rich draft . Two years in a row Stafford has had major back problems. 

You don't think it's time to consider a replacement? Let's be clear, I did not say Stafford was the problem. Far from it.

It's far from a brutal take. We look to be heading towards a top 10 pick in a QB rich draft . Two years in a row Stafford has had major back problems. 

You don't think it's time to consider a replacement? Let's be clear, I did not say Stafford was the problem. Far from it.
Is it a QB rich class? I’m not so sure. 

Does anyone think Hebert or Tua is going to make this team better in the next 2-3 years? I find that laughable. 

Yeah you totally missed my point. Stafford is good. He's also broke....literally. 

Quinn got his pass rusher......it just happened to be another horrible decision. 

This team is beyond repair. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Yeah you totally missed my point. Stafford is good. He's also broke....literally. 

Quinn got his pass rusher......it just happened to be another horrible decision. 

This team is beyond repair. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt.
Stafford is hurt but it’s hard for me to say he’s done at 30/31. Especially given how durable he has been.

If Tua makes it to the 2nd or dare I say 3rd round because of his injury I would not be unhappy taking a flier there.  A back injury is no joke so it would be good to have someone other than Driskel waiting in the wings.  That said I agree they need a pass rusher, but I'm not sure how well he'd be utilized by Patricia anyway, he doesn't do much blitzing.  I think they need to deal Slay before the draft to pick up some additional capital.

If Tua makes it to the 2nd or dare I say 3rd round because of his injury I would not be unhappy taking a flier there.  A back injury is no joke so it would be good to have someone other than Driskel waiting in the wings.  That said I agree they need a pass rusher, but I'm not sure how well he'd be utilized by Patricia anyway, he doesn't do much blitzing.  I think they need to deal Slay before the draft to pick up some additional capital.
Backup QB has definitely been an area the Lions have mismanaged- though Driskel hasn’t been terrible all things considered. It makes sense to draft a late QB every year just because the ROI is so high if you land a Minshew, Cousins, Dak, etc. 

The lack of blitzing is all the more reason they need a true speed edge rusher- even if he’s a bit situational. But that goes against their type. They like big DEs who can stop the run. 

Diggs was PFF’s highest graded Seahawks defender this week. Carrol is raving about how good he is, says he can’t understand why Detroit traded him for such a late pick,  says he shows the team his highlights like he used to with Earl. 

Not great Bob

Foosball God said:
Tua will be a top ten pick by draft time IMO. I think you should draft a QB nearly every year but that is just me. They are so valuable especially on that rookie contract. Can be used for picks or development. The team needs are more than any QB can solve at this point. Deep roots of terrible decisions and underperformance cannot be erased unless change comes from atop. 

I'm at the point that I do not think that the Lions will ever be a contender until the Fords sell the team.
I've said this many times, but the weird thing is - I really think the Fords try. They've built a nice stadium. They have a great practice facility. From all reports, they run a first class organization. They want to win. They are willing to spend money. They really are trying.

They just ALWAYS stink. Its really weird.

I've said this many times, but the weird thing is - I really think the Fords try. They've built a nice stadium. They have a great practice facility. From all reports, they run a first class organization. They want to win. They are willing to spend money. They really are trying.

They never get the hire right and then wait too long to make another change. The current GM/coach combo is definitely not working but they won't do anything until maybe after next season.  I say fire Quinn at least and make a run at the Saints Terry Fontenot for GM and let him make the coaching decision.

Diggs was PFF’s highest graded Seahawks defender this week. Carrol is raving about how good he is, says he can’t understand why Detroit traded him for such a late pick,  says he shows the team his highlights like he used to with Earl. 

Not great Bob
Yeah, but he didn't fit the awesome scheme we are running. 🙄

You could say the same thing about Ford Motor Company. It's a great company and a top global brand. But they operate in what seems like a never-ending, ruthless cycle of a good year or two followed by major restructuring and never really winning. Even when it appears a turnaround might be working and progress is being made, the ball always rolls back down to the bottom of the hill. 

And yeah they built a nice stadium. But it's the little facts, like using faulty Firestone tires recycled into the field turf, that are a bit symbolic of everything that's wrong with both organizations and how closely they are tied together. They created a field literally made out of failure. 

They same reason most teams won't. They are very conservative. Also, I don't think the Lions really make sense for Kapernick at this point. Maybe 3 weeks ago when they still had a chance at the playoffs but not now. 
If I had a ticket to todays game, I would disagree. I agree with your premise of the lost season, but this season has seen players like Falk and now Blough start NFL games. I would rather see Kap play because of what would happen with the drama around it at least then watch a known disaster proceed with a guy I never heard of, like many of us.

Users who are viewing this thread