What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3 and a half hours to go (1 Viewer)

CYP

Champion Truth Teller
For some strange reason I hope they dont agree. I guess just to see something we have never seen before. I have no doubt at some point something will get hammered out but I think in the short term it would be awesome to see the league in utter turmoil as players are cut left and right to see how everyone handles everything.

As for the "players cut left and right," this element seems to have been highly exaggerated. The ESPN analysts have indicated that there would not be this mass purging of talent or Black Thursday (or pick whatever day of the week would be after all the extensions).

It sounds like some fringe guys would get cut and maybe a handful of veterans but no mass hysteria as initially predicted. Bottom line is that you won't see players like Tom Brady, LT, or Antonio Gates on the waiver wire.

IMO, the impact will be that many teams will have very little money to spend on free agents, and target destinations for the name players will be some less than ideal teams vs teams that had some quasi realistic Super Bowl expectations.

As for the "players cut left and right," this element seems to have been highly exaggerated. The ESPN analysts have indicated that there would not be this mass purging of talent or Black Thursday (or pick whatever day of the week would be after all the extensions).

It sounds like some fringe guys would get cut and maybe a handful of veterans but no mass hysteria as initially predicted. Bottom line is that you won't see players like Tom Brady, LT, or Antonio Gates on the waiver wire.

IMO, the impact will be that many teams will have very little money to spend on free agents, and target destinations for the name players will be some less than ideal teams vs teams that had some quasi realistic Super Bowl expectations.
I agree you wont see "franchise" type players cut but if there is no agreement you will see some big names cut. More then fringe players I think anyway. It should be exciting or at least different. Of course Im also happy since my home town team have about 16mil in cap space.

I'm hoping for another extension.

A delay til thursday to continue talks, for real, no more extensions, and then at Thursday midnight another extension til Tuesday.

That would be ideal and make the resolution so much sweeter.

For some strange reason I hope they dont agree. I guess just to see something we have never seen before. I have no doubt at some point something will get hammered out but I think in the short term it would be awesome to see the league in utter turmoil as players are cut left and right to see how everyone handles everything.
I think I agree. :ph34r:

Hoping this helps young teams like my Titans. Once McNair's contract is restructred we'll have money to add a veteran Safety,LB, and even a vet wr

It will be a blood bath - not franchise players but enough vets to make an uprising from players and agents.

It will be the only silver lining in the ruing of football!

I hope they agree, and I can't believe anyone would want otherwise. The NFL has been America's best run professional sport for good reason, and I would hate for that to end. Not to mention what a future no cap would mean to the sport. I don't believe I want to see a handful of deep pocket owners dominating the Super Bowl every year. That simply isn't good for the sport and the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they agree, and I can't believe anyone would want otherwise. The NFL has been America's best run professional sport for good reason, and I would hate for that to end. Not to mention what a future no cap would mean to the sport. I don't believe I want to see a handful of deep pocket owners dominating the Super Bowl every year. That simply isn't good for the sport and the fans.
:goodposting: Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, it can take 2 or 3 more weeks, as long as it gets done and right. I understand everyone wanting to get on with free agency and watch their teams' offseasons begin, but come Sept, it would be most important that a deal was made. Theres always the WBC to watch while the negotiations are taking place, plus the NCAA tourney starts next week. Thats what I'm doing with my non-football time now. :thumbup:

I hope they agree, and I can't believe anyone would want otherwise.  The NFL has been America's best run professional sport for good reason, and I would hate for that to end.  Not to mention what a future no cap would mean to the sport.  I don't believe I want to see a handful of deep pocket owners dominating the Super Bowl every year.  That simply isn't good for the sport and the fans.
:goodposting: Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, it can take 2 or 3 more weeks, as long as it gets done and right. I understand everyone wanting to get on with free agency and watch their teams' offseasons begin, but come Sept, it would be most important that a deal was made. Theres always the WBC to watch while the negotiations are taking place, plus the NCAA tourney starts next week. Thats what I'm doing with my non-football time now. :thumbup:
:goodposting: of a :goodposting: There is a possibility of a lockout in 2008 and that is enough for any sane fan to hope for an agreement. Baseball killed me, the NHL was not pleasant, and the last NFL lockout was nasty. We don't need Arena Football guys getting a shot in bulk to play in the NFL. :thumbdown:

Any announcement? Doesn't look good...unless there is yet another extension!! :cry:
Watching ESPN News and Vic Carucci said that they might have something but it's going to take another 30 minutes or so for a final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread