What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3 Pre-Season Narratives, and Why They’re Not True (1 Viewer)

I must be reading another thread. I wont bump your posts. You do you.
This thread was “gimme 3 narratives that you disagree with”

I posted mine. You’ve now defended the narrative I said I thought was false numerous times.

Quite amusing for the irony. You keep doing you though. :lol:

Last edited:
The Lions: Everyone loves the Hard Knocks team, and this team plays hard, but there are a lot of questions still here. Swift being anointed the next big thing, Every WR getting some ink, TJ being left for dead and Goff... well Goff. Jamaal Williams is a good player in his own right, I love Amon-Ra, but TJ was the guy getting the targets before the injury, and what about a division that has a solid Minny team, and Aaron Rodgers with an improved D and Special teams.

You are as well informed as anyone on this team, your takes are always rock solid.

WRT Amon-Ra, the offensive turning point in the season was when they started making it a priority to target him. I remember MCDC telegraphing it in his press conferences. His separation is like 3.5 yards per route (posted a list in the team thread), and while his 6-game mega run did coincide with most of their weapons being out, they went 3-3 in that stretch. Kid is legit.

They're still a 5-7 win team with a ton of warts, the biggest two being a QB that cannot throw a deep ball and a bad D. Swift and TJ have got to stay on the field more, full stop. With D'Andre there's a lot of talk about him playing through pain (I really feel like bringing him back those last two games was a lesson for him and the expectations we have for him.) With Hock....shoot man, dude plays balls to the wall, I think he will always be getting dinged up bc of his playing style. Big question to decide in the 22-23 offseason is whether to give him the 4-yr/$56M 5-yr/$70M backloaded deal he thinks he's worth or he's walking in '24.

Defense - we love AG, but ****ing A man, how about we make a stop once in awhile? They were a historically bad defense in Patricia's last two years - statistically the two worst defensive seasons in the franchises 90+ years - and last year wasn't much better. Hutchinson, Rodriguez and a healthy Okudah will make them better. But overall there just isn't enough talent on that side of the roster IMO. We need disruptive playmakers who can separate the ball and get it on the ground, more ballhawks than just Amani. If Harris and Hutch can generate consistent pressure like we think they can, the front 7 will look better. But there is a genuine gap in ability between the offensive playmakers and guys who can make it happen on the defense.

I don't even think I could name three narratives bc I kind of ignore mainstream sources (ESPN, FantasyPros, NFLN.) But looking at the discussion on elite WRs like Adams, Diggs & Kupp and whether it's sustainable...

We got super spoiled around 2013-2020. Julio posted 8 straight seasons of 85 or more yards per game, over 100 four times (was healthy the middle six.) AB went over 100 receptions 6 straight years and averaged over 85 ypg every one of them.

That just doesn't happen historically. Ever. Look at any of the greats: Rice, Harrison, Moss, Fitzgerald, Owens, Megatron (Holt came closest.) You have to go back to Lance Alworth in the 60s to find that kind of sustained high production consistency.

false narrative - Receiver ( enter name here) on the Chiefs is going to be a stud this season.FALSE. not buying MVS, not buying Skyy Moore, not buying JuJu, not buying Mecole. Collectively they'll equal a singular, top 20 WR - that is , combine all of their stats and you'll make one heck of a WR - but as an individual, it might be Moore one week ( and maybe only one week the entire season), MVS(maybe never), Mecole every sunday after a full moon. JuJu on sunday night/monday night/late december saturday games ONLY. Seriously people, you really think MVS is anything but yesterdays newspaper in this offense?? If the Chiefs are better than .500 Mahomes deserves the MVP because this is a list of also rans, never has beens and roster fillers.

Dameon Pierce is overrated he only did it in preseason in fake games- FALSE. the kid looks like the next RB stud in an up-n-coming offense with talent at the WR positions, QB, and now RB.
This team is going to surprise many, Nico Collins will be a waiver wire darling next week ( along with T. Burks).

Treylon Burks is out of shape, he can't run, he's looks like a bust. FALSE> First , he has asthma and perhaps the foliage and allergens in the area he now lives are things he's not used to? maybe just maybe? Please do yourself a favor, and watch this video of Burks , narrated by the Football Scout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TyXfSvJyg this kid is an elite talent freight train. spoiler alert: this video shows just how bad of a QB Malik Willis really is.

Giants' offense is weak - false. Improved o-line, WAY better coaching with Daboll, way better o-line, and Danny Dimes should be much improved. They have an easy schedule especially early on. They also play the Lions week 11 @ NY, Jags, seahawks, Texans ( much improved offense but defense is not quite there yet), 2x vs Cowboys.

Cowboys are a contender in the NFC - false. this team is about to implode. McCarthy is just plain lousy, and Dak will struggle with only CeeDee to throw to. Schultz is a one hit wonder, one trick pony - he ONLY does curl routes and nothing else, pretty easy for defenses to figure this out for 2022. They're not going to win the NFC East , that would be the Eagles. it just feels like this is the year the wheels fall off the cart for Dallas. Very weak offensive line losing many of its former studs.

The Cowboys offensive line lost “many of of its former studs?” Besides Smith who will be back before the playoffs, what other Stud did they lose? They cut Collins because he was a knucklehead and that’s showing on his new team. Center (Biadasz)and guard (McGovern) both got stronger and now have a year under their belt. Steele at RT > Collins who was a guard plying tackle because that was the agreement when he signed post draft. Zack Martin is a perennial all pro and often mentioned as the best offensive lineman in all of football.

The defense will be better than last year. They’re going to be frightening this year.

Offensively- I’m not suggesting that the Cowboys offense is going to be what it was last year but that’s not for the reasons that you have stated. They lost Cooper, that’s it. And we all knows Cooper is soft. Doesn’t like the cold, doesn’t like the rain, and doesn’t like to be hit.

They already have two tight ends behind Shultz who will be better then Shultz. Shultz is gone after this season.

Pollard would be the back to own on Thai team in PPR. He’s going to catch a lot of balls playing in the slot.

Eagles are not a major threat with a RB playing QB.

I'm not liking what I am seeing in Tampa. This whole mess has the feel of "Shaq coming into camp out of shape and letting the regular season get him in shape". Again, Brady is Brady so the O line only matters for late developing plays, but pushing Arians out, taking a break, losing a lot of the o line, WRs already banged up... It's a lot. I feel people are sleeping on New Orleans being better than they were last year.
I think they have enough talent to be among the better offenses in the league, but I think we’ll see a noticeable drop off from the more aggressive Arians to the somewhat more conservative Bowles.
I think Brady will be running the offense here.
The story there is that is the reason Arians was shown the door. Lewftwich and Brady would come up w a game plan and Arians would crap all over it. However, Once you start having those kind of internal issues that tends to be when the wheels fall off. Bowles is a good "leader of men" but if he is the Defensive guy and Leftwich (Brady) is the Offense guy when one doesn't hold up for the other its gonna get ugly.

Bowles is a good "leader of men" but if he is the Defensive guy and Leftwich (Brady) is the Offense guy when one doesn't hold up for the other its gonna get ugly.
I feel like you’re selling Leftwich way short here.

It ain’t all Brady, and Leftwich is a highly capable coach.

I'm not liking what I am seeing in Tampa. This whole mess has the feel of "Shaq coming into camp out of shape and letting the regular season get him in shape". Again, Brady is Brady so the O line only matters for late developing plays, but pushing Arians out, taking a break, losing a lot of the o line, WRs already banged up... It's a lot. I feel people are sleeping on New Orleans being better than they were last year.
I think they have enough talent to be among the better offenses in the league, but I think we’ll see a noticeable drop off from the more aggressive Arians to the somewhat more conservative Bowles.
I think Brady will be running the offense here.
The story there is that is the reason Arians was shown the door. Lewftwich and Brady would come up w a game plan and Arians would crap all over it. However, Once you start having those kind of internal issues that tends to be when the wheels fall off. Bowles is a good "leader of men" but if he is the Defensive guy and Leftwich (Brady) is the Offense guy when one doesn't hold up for the other its gonna get ugly.
I feel like cutting AB mid game didn’t sit well with Brady either.

false narrative - Receiver ( enter name here) on the Chiefs is going to be a stud this season.FALSE. not buying MVS, not buying Skyy Moore, not buying JuJu, not buying Mecole. Collectively they'll equal a singular, top 20 WR - that is , combine all of their stats and you'll make one heck of a WR - but as an individual, it might be Moore one week ( and maybe only one week the entire season), MVS(maybe never), Mecole every sunday after a full moon. JuJu on sunday night/monday night/late december saturday games ONLY. Seriously people, you really think MVS is anything but yesterdays newspaper in this offense?? If the Chiefs are better than .500 Mahomes deserves the MVP because this is a list of also rans, never has beens and roster fillers.

Dameon Pierce is overrated he only did it in preseason in fake games- FALSE. the kid looks like the next RB stud in an up-n-coming offense with talent at the WR positions, QB, and now RB.
This team is going to surprise many, Nico Collins will be a waiver wire darling next week ( along with T. Burks).

Treylon Burks is out of shape, he can't run, he's looks like a bust. FALSE> First , he has asthma and perhaps the foliage and allergens in the area he now lives are things he's not used to? maybe just maybe? Please do yourself a favor, and watch this video of Burks , narrated by the Football Scout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TyXfSvJyg this kid is an elite talent freight train. spoiler alert: this video shows just how bad of a QB Malik Willis really is.

Giants' offense is weak - false. Improved o-line, WAY better coaching with Daboll, way better o-line, and Danny Dimes should be much improved. They have an easy schedule especially early on. They also play the Lions week 11 @ NY, Jags, seahawks, Texans ( much improved offense but defense is not quite there yet), 2x vs Cowboys.

Cowboys are a contender in the NFC - false. this team is about to implode. McCarthy is just plain lousy, and Dak will struggle with only CeeDee to throw to. Schultz is a one hit wonder, one trick pony - he ONLY does curl routes and nothing else, pretty easy for defenses to figure this out for 2022. They're not going to win the NFC East , that would be the Eagles. it just feels like this is the year the wheels fall off the cart for Dallas. Very weak offensive line losing many of its former studs.

The Cowboys offensive line lost “many of of its former studs?” Besides Smith who will be back before the playoffs, what other Stud did they lose? They cut Collins because he was a knucklehead and that’s showing on his new team. Center (Biadasz)and guard (McGovern) both got stronger and now have a year under their belt. Steele at RT > Collins who was a guard plying tackle because that was the agreement when he signed post draft. Zack Martin is a perennial all pro and often mentioned as the best offensive lineman in all of football.

The defense will be better than last year. They’re going to be frightening this year.

Offensively- I’m not suggesting that the Cowboys offense is going to be what it was last year but that’s not for the reasons that you have stated. They lost Cooper, that’s it. And we all knows Cooper is soft. Doesn’t like the cold, doesn’t like the rain, and doesn’t like to be hit.

They already have two tight ends behind Shultz who will be better then Shultz. Shultz is gone after this season.

Pollard would be the back to own on Thai team in PPR. He’s going to catch a lot of balls playing in the slot.

Are you a Cowboys fan? Trying to suss out your bias, if there is any.

Are you a Cowboys fan? Trying to suss out your bias, if there is any.

I am a Cowboys fan, however to be fair…

I am not a delusional Cowboys fan. Not a big McCarthy fan. I think they’re soft and pretenders. I don’t think Lamb has shown that he can be a number 1. I think the line will fine as long as they don’t sustain anymore injuries.

As far as my remark about the Eagles/hurts… That’s a philosophical issue with me. It’s not that I don’t like hurts or the Eagles but I don’t like run first quarterbacks. I feel that they rely on their athletic ability too often during their maturation process that they don’t properly develop as passers. when they’re young they can always make things work with her legs. For example, I don’t like Lamar Jackson one bit as a quarterback.

Last edited:
Bucs OL certainly something to keep an eye on...I wouldn't dismiss that one.
Not dismissing it. Just not downgrading the Bucs top 3 players because of it.
I'm more worried about Brady's "personal" issue time off. That's very weird and enough for me to avoid considering all the other things going on. He's been talking about his old age hitting him recently. Also, there's something wrong with his face. It looks really thin. Somethings up.

I've been drafting a bunch of Fournette, and I agree with you. Between the line and Brady's...."off-ness"...I'm concerned.
Last year Brady was going in the 8th or 9th round. While people spent high picks on Allen and Mahomes I just waited and picked Brady. It was such a low hanging fruit. Last year he had Gronk, Evans, Godwin, and AB and a solid healthy offensive line. This was the easiest pick in the draft. This year they have Godwin coming off a major injury, The ghost of Julio Jones, The dynamic(Not) Kyle Rudolph, Mike Evans(OK) and Gage(yawn). I love Brady but I trust what I see and how I feel.

Brady is not good when he has pressure up the middle. This will be the weak spot of the line. I'm predicting frustration and struggles for the Bucs this year. I wouldn't doubt if Brady took another leave of absence at some time. If it was important enough to leave the team for two weeks I'm doubting whatever it was has been completely taken care of. He retired this year and then un retired. That can't instill confidence in people.
Quoting for future reference.

AB cut himself mid-game.

It wasn’t Arians who took off his shirt and stomped off field in the middle of the game

Uh, thank goodness. 🤢

When AB told coach he wasn’t going into the game, Arians told him “you’re done. Get the F out of here”
AB had been battling an ankle issue all week

those facts are not in dispute.

whether the refusal was due to injury (Ab version) or nit getting targeted (BA version) is in dispute.

AB cut himself mid-game.

It wasn’t Arians who took off his shirt and stomped off field in the middle of the game

Uh, thank goodness. 🤢

When AB told coach he wasn’t going into the game, Arians told him “you’re done. Get the F out of here”

whether the refusal was due to injury (Ab version) or nit getting targeted (BA version) is in dispute.
He basically did jumping jacks as he pranced out of the stadium throwing his equipment around. Are you serious? Arians isn't forcing injured players into a game. Come on.

I don't see how anyone sides with Brown after everything. Amazing talent but the most polarizing WR to ever catch a football. He/his story has zero credibility based on past transgressions.

The Lions: Everyone loves the Hard Knocks team, and this team plays hard, but there are a lot of questions still here. Swift being anointed the next big thing, Every WR getting some ink, TJ being left for dead and Goff... well Goff. Jamaal Williams is a good player in his own right, I love Amon-Ra, but TJ was the guy getting the targets before the injury, and what about a division that has a solid Minny team, and Aaron Rodgers with an improved D and Special teams.

You are as well informed as anyone on this team, your takes are always rock solid.

WRT Amon-Ra, the offensive turning point in the season was when they started making it a priority to target him. I remember MCDC telegraphing it in his press conferences. His separation is like 3.5 yards per route (posted a list in the team thread), and while his 6-game mega run did coincide with most of their weapons being out, they went 3-3 in that stretch. Kid is legit.

They're still a 5-7 win team with a ton of warts, the biggest two being a QB that cannot throw a deep ball and a bad D. Swift and TJ have got to stay on the field more, full stop. With D'Andre there's a lot of talk about him playing through pain (I really feel like bringing him back those last two games was a lesson for him and the expectations we have for him.) With Hock....shoot man, dude plays balls to the wall, I think he will always be getting dinged up bc of his playing style. Big question to decide in the 22-23 offseason is whether to give him the 4-yr/$56M 5-yr/$70M backloaded deal he thinks he's worth or he's walking in '24.

Defense - we love AG, but ****ing A man, how about we make a stop once in awhile? They were a historically bad defense in Patricia's last two years - statistically the two worst defensive seasons in the franchises 90+ years - and last year wasn't much better. Hutchinson, Rodriguez and a healthy Okudah will make them better. But overall there just isn't enough talent on that side of the roster IMO. We need disruptive playmakers who can separate the ball and get it on the ground, more ballhawks than just Amani. If Harris and Hutch can generate consistent pressure like we think they can, the front 7 will look better. But there is a genuine gap in ability between the offensive playmakers and guys who can make it happen on the defense.

The narrative on Goff not being able to throw the deep ball will get blown up this year. He needs good targets he can throw them to, and now he has them especially once Jamo takes the field.

Allegedly.
The ankle issue is highly documented by team doctors, practice reports etc. Neither party disputes the fact that AB was dealing with an ankle issue.

regardless, the sequence of events according to everybody:
- Brown tells coaches he is not going out in the field again
- Coach tells him “You’re Done!! Get the F out of here”
- Brown melts down

He went bananas because BA cut him mid-game. Not, he went bananas and got cut for it.

Last edited:
One for my list:

“The AFC West will be a bloodbath with multiple shootouts!” :pickle:
~me

Reality: :sadbanana:
This is a good one. You're not alone in this - most fantasy pundits thought along the same lines with that collection of QBs in the division. Maybe there will still be some shootouts, but things turn out differently when the games are played on the field - and defenses are involved - rather than on paper.

Some of these AFC West teams also have very good defenses. It's possible we'll see the biggest numbers from the AFC West offenses in non-division games.

One for my list:

“The AFC West will be a bloodbath with multiple shootouts!” :pickle:
~me

Reality: :sadbanana:
This is a good one. You're not alone in this - most fantasy pundits thought along the same lines with that collection of QBs in the division. Maybe there will still be some shootouts, but things turn out differently when the games are played on the field - and defenses are involved - rather than on paper.
Yes. It’s the Chiefs and everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread