What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

30 years from now (2 Viewers)

Do you think Rivers will be a member of the PFHOF?

• Yes

Votes: 51 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 162 76.1%

• Total voters
Just Win Baby said:
doodler said:
Just Win Baby said:
There is every reason to believe he can have a career like those of Fouts or Warren Moon, who are HOFers, which implies he could fail to win a ring and still make it.
Marino is also in the HOF, and never won a ring.To the OP, yes I think Rivers will be in the HOF one day.
Yes, I thought of mentioning Marino but thought Fouts and Moon represented a lower bar that better shows it is possible.
I respectfully disagree with this. Two weeks ago 13 QB's threw for more than 300 yards(NFL record). Stats alone will not get Rivers in like it did for Moon. Fouts really outperformed his contemporaries and Marino outperformed everyone. Rivers will have to get into a Manning or Brady type zone to even sniff the HOF.
How many of those 13 QBs are throwing for 9.0 yards/attempt with a 100+ QB rating? How many are going to have their third 4000-yard season in a row? And you failed to mention Jim Kelly.Warren Moon didn't get in on stat compilation. He made the Pro Bowl nine times. He finished top 5 in passing yardage seven times (#1 twice), top 5 in passing TDs five times (#1 once). Rivers has been performing as a top-5 QB consistently for three years now. The only other guys who can say that will also be in the Hall of Fame.
I haven't researched the stats, but how about Drew Brees. Both started their careers with the same team. Drew Brees has won a Super Bowl, a Super Bowl MVP, and numerous passing stats. Do they both make it? As well as Brady, Manning, Favre, Rodgers,Warner, Eli?, McNabb?Someone has to be left out.

Rivers has been performing as a top-5 QB consistently for three years now. The only other guys who can say that will also be in the Hall of Fame.
I haven't researched the stats, but how about Drew Brees. Both started their careers with the same team. Drew Brees has won a Super Bowl, a Super Bowl MVP, and numerous passing stats. Do they both make it? As well as Brady, Manning, Favre, Rodgers,Warner, Eli?, McNabb?Someone has to be left out.
Yes, Brees will also make it; he's been top 5 in passing yards/game for five years straight, led the league in passing yards and passing TDs twice in that time frame. None of those guys has to be left out; seven QBs were chosen between 2000 and 2006. Warner, Favre, Brady, and Manning will likely all be in the Hall before Rivers' career is over, or shortly thereafter; certainly well before he's up for selection himself. Voters won't think "oh, we let in Manning three years ago, we'd better not let in Rivers now."Rivers is likely to have a better resume than McNabb, barring a miraculous Super Bowl run by the Redskins in the next couple of years. Eli has a long way to go to be considered a HOF QB; the only thing he has going for him is a Super Bowl win.

Frenchy Fuqua said:
This is similar to the Brady/Manning debate and probably a debate best left for another thread. But I think if it's strictly a numbers game then we should consider that if Eli/Giants or Ben/Steelers played their home games in San Diego and six games vs. AFC West defenses of the past five years their stats would go from very good to great.

Here's a stat that carries some meaning,

Career Postseason QB Rating

Ben 87.2

Rivers 79.2

Eli 77.6
ya bc its such a challenge to beat up on the browns and bengals defenses.and lol at thinking postseason qb rating is meaningful.
You don't think potseason QB Rating means anything?

I wouldn't say it's the be all end all, but I think it should be part of a discussion...

When were the Browns in the postseason last? 2003? That wasn't Ben.

What team do you follow?

Just curious...
QB rating is a poor metric. there are far superior alternatives. confining stats to only the playoffs has sample size issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frenchy Fuqua said:
This is similar to the Brady/Manning debate and probably a debate best left for another thread. But I think if it's strictly a numbers game then we should consider that if Eli/Giants or Ben/Steelers played their home games in San Diego and six games vs. AFC West defenses of the past five years their stats would go from very good to great.

Here's a stat that carries some meaning,

Career Postseason QB Rating

Ben 87.2

Rivers 79.2

Eli 77.6
ya bc its such a challenge to beat up on the browns and bengals defenses.and lol at thinking postseason qb rating is meaningful.
You don't think potseason QB Rating means anything?

I wouldn't say it's the be all end all, but I think it should be part of a discussion...

When were the Browns in the postseason last? 2003? That wasn't Ben.

What team do you follow?

Just curious...
QB rating is a poor metric. there are far superior alternatives. confining stats to only the playoffs has sample size issues.
I may be way off, but my measure has always been how do you compare against your peers? This generation has produced some incredible QB's. To make the HOF you will have to excell above the rest. Right now Rivers is a close call.

Without question.And he's also clearly the best QB from the 2004 class, despite Ben and Eli having rings.
Trying to understand this viewpoint. Is Steve Johnson clearly a better receiver than Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson?
"Best" can be interpreted in different ways. Clearly Rivers is not the most accomplished of this group, since both of the others have rings and he does not. However, I think he is the best of this group in terms of playing the QB position.Not sure if that addresses your question, but your analogy doesn't really fit IMO. Johnson has been more productive than the others so far this season, but the others have obviously been more productive than Johnson in previous seasons. Rivers has been more productive than Ben and Eli this year, but your analogy breaks down there... Rivers has been more productive than both Ben and Eli in 4 of the 5 seasons since he took over as the Chargers starter.
See, this is where I struggle when we discuss the Manning/Brady thing. I don't agree with you that Rivers has been more productive than Eli and Roethlisberger in 4 of the last 5 seasons. I guess what it boils down to is, what does more productive mean? Does it mean more yards? Higher YPA? More TDs? Higher scoring offenses? Third down conversion? Better time of possession? More wins? Better postseason performances? Doing more with fewer or lesser targets? Executing a winning coach's system the best? Better passing numbers in identical down and distances? I think most people would agree that Rivers is called on to pass more frequently in San Diego than Roethlisberger is in Pittsburgh. But I would guess that over the last five years, Roethlisberger has passed more often in 2nd or 3rd and long situations when the Steelers ran early and didn't get them into third and short. I think most people would agree that Rivers' numbers this year without some combination of Gates, Jackson, Floyd or Mathews in any given game are more impressive than his numbers with a full cadre of receiving talent. Shouldn't we consider Eli's numbers with first and second year receivers like Smith, Manningham, and a half season of Nicks last year to be every bit as impressive when those guys had never shown more than flashes of talent, especially when they ran a run heavy offense and played in the NFC East? When I look at what Rivers is doing this year, I don't see a guy who is throwing the team to wins and close games. I see a guy who is throwing the ball very well, but has also lost to teams that were struggling like the Chiefs, Seahawks, Rams and Raiders. Those teams are a combined 20-20. If the Chargers had taken care of business against a group of teams that sucked last year, they'd be a combined 16-24. So did the Chargers get unlucky against good teams this year? Or are they all doing a little better than expected because they beat the Chargers? Does it matter that Rivers has 15 TDs in his five wins, and 8 TDs in those five losses? We've dont the Manning/Brady debate to death, but let's talk about a guy we agree on. I'm guessing that you and I agree that Troy Aikman is a bit overrated, but for different reasons. I'd suggest that you think he's overrated because of the Superbowls and because he never put up monster numbers. I think he's overrated because he had an insane offensive line, great consistency in his offensive personnel, had Emmitt Smith to keep defenses honest in the play action pass, and had multiple receiving options when they did go play action. (I'd guess there's some overlap in those positions, but I'm talking about the first reason that comes to mind). I think you probably give him more credit for his best passing season, and I think I probably give him more credit for doing what he's supposed to do within a championship offense. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I put a lot less stock in passing numbers as a tool for measuring QB skill. Two guys throwing for the exact same numbers against the same team the same season in the same weather at the same location in games that have the same meaning to the team are not necessarily the same in my mind. I think you'd agree with that statement, but you still seem to look at a different kind of "production" than I do when we talk about which QB is better. I don't think Rivers is better than Roethlisberger, and I'm not sure who's better at this point between Eli and Rivers.

See, this is where I struggle when we discuss the Manning/Brady thing. I don't agree with you that Rivers has been more productive than Eli and Roethlisberger in 4 of the last 5 seasons. I guess what it boils down to is, what does more productive mean? Does it mean more yards? Higher YPA? More TDs? Higher scoring offenses? Third down conversion? Better time of possession? More wins? Better postseason performances? Doing more with fewer or lesser targets? Executing a winning coach's system the best? Better passing numbers in identical down and distances?
IMO wins is a team accomplishment. The QB is instrumental, but not solely responsible. It's important, and it's one of multiple useful criteria, but should not be overweighted IMO. In general, Rivers has produced more total production and has done so with greater efficiency. To me, that means he has been better.

ETA: Let's look at their regular season records as starters since 2006: Rivers: 51-23 (.689) Roethlisberger: 42-25 (.627) Eli: 44-30 (.595) Rivers also has the best record in NFL history in regular season games in November, December, and January: he is 33-5 overall and 19-0 after November. Hopefully that trend will continue down the stretch this season. Postseason: Rivers: 3-4 Roethlisberger: 3-1 with one championship Eli: 4-2 with one championship Rivers hasn't been great in the postseason, but he stacks up just fine with the others in terms of winning.

I think most people would agree that Rivers is called on to pass more frequently in San Diego than Roethlisberger is in Pittsburgh.
I'm not sure what time frame you are referencing here. I referred to the past 5 seasons (i.e., 2006-2010) in my previous post because that is how long Rivers has been starting. Over that span (regular season), Rivers has averaged 30.2 passing attempts per game and Roethlisberger has averaged 30.3. It's true that Rivers is passing more often this year (35.3 to 31.2).

But I would guess that over the last five years, Roethlisberger has passed more often in 2nd or 3rd and long situations when the Steelers ran early and didn't get them into third and short.
Using ESPN splits, I can see the number of attempts on 2nd & 8-10, 2nd & 11+, 3rd & 8-10, and 3rd & 11+. For purposes of addressing this, I will consider these to be representative of "2nd or 3rd and long situations". Note that I counted all rushing attempts as scrambles for convenience.

Roethlisberger (2006-2010):

Total for all situations - 2035 passing attempts, 203 sacks, 157 rushing attempts

Total for 2nd or 3rd and long situations - 699 passing attempts, 84 sacks, 39 rushing attempts

So he's been in 2nd or 3rd and long situations 34.3% of the time (822/2395)

Rivers (2006-2010):

Total for all situations - 2237 passing attempts, 122 sacks, 155 rushing attempts

Total for 2nd or 3rd and long situations - 816 passing attempts, 53 sacks, 38 rushing attempts

So he's been in 2nd or 3rd and long situations 36.1% of the time (907/2514)

So I believe your guess is incorrect. Furthermore, consider their numbers in those situations:

Roethlisberger: 449/699 (64.2%), 5673 passing yards (8.12 ypa), 26 passing TDs, 16 interceptions, 92.3 passer rating, 84 sacks, 39/251/1 rushing

Rivers: 542/816 (66.4%), 6831 passing yards (8.37 ypa), 38 passing TDs, 27 interceptions, 94.1 passer rating, 53 sacks, 38/62/0 rushing

It's close, and they have both been good in these situations, but Rivers has been better. Ben's greater rushing production is offset by the huge number of sacks (10.2% for Roethlisberger to 5.8% for Rivers). So Rivers has been in those situations more often and has been better in them.

I think most people would agree that Rivers' numbers this year without some combination of Gates, Jackson, Floyd or Mathews in any given game are more impressive than his numbers with a full cadre of receiving talent. Shouldn't we consider Eli's numbers with first and second year receivers like Smith, Manningham, and a half season of Nicks last year to be every bit as impressive when those guys had never shown more than flashes of talent, especially when they ran a run heavy offense and played in the NFC East?
No, I don't think so. Eli threw for 4021/27/14 with a 93.1 passer rating. Rivers is on pace for 5083/37/14 with a 105 passer rating. There is a huge gap there.

When I look at what Rivers is doing this year, I don't see a guy who is throwing the team to wins and close games. I see a guy who is throwing the ball very well, but has also lost to teams that were struggling like the Chiefs, Seahawks, Rams and Raiders. Those teams are a combined 20-20. If the Chargers had taken care of business against a group of teams that sucked last year, they'd be a combined 16-24. So did the Chargers get unlucky against good teams this year? Or are they all doing a little better than expected because they beat the Chargers? Does it matter that Rivers has 15 TDs in his five wins, and 8 TDs in those five losses? We've dont the Manning/Brady debate to death, but let's talk about a guy we agree on. I'm guessing that you and I agree that Troy Aikman is a bit overrated, but for different reasons. I'd suggest that you think he's overrated because of the Superbowls and because he never put up monster numbers. I think he's overrated because he had an insane offensive line, great consistency in his offensive personnel, had Emmitt Smith to keep defenses honest in the play action pass, and had multiple receiving options when they did go play action. (I'd guess there's some overlap in those positions, but I'm talking about the first reason that comes to mind). I think you probably give him more credit for his best passing season, and I think I probably give him more credit for doing what he's supposed to do within a championship offense. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I put a lot less stock in passing numbers as a tool for measuring QB skill. Two guys throwing for the exact same numbers against the same team the same season in the same weather at the same location in games that have the same meaning to the team are not necessarily the same in my mind. I think you'd agree with that statement, but you still seem to look at a different kind of "production" than I do when we talk about which QB is better. I don't think Rivers is better than Roethlisberger, and I'm not sure who's better at this point between Eli and Rivers.
Putting all numbers aside, to say you don't know about Eli vs. Rivers simply suggests to me that you haven't watched them play much. I don't need the numbers to know that answer... the eyeball test is enough. As for Roethlisberger, I think people who favor him over Rivers give more credit to the QB for wins and losses than I do. Case in point is this year, when the Chargers special teams have lost 2-3 games for the Chargers, which isn't Rivers' fault.

Good response. Not a huge fan of the "you haven't watched them much" argument, but some interesting arguments. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'll take a look when I'm better rested.

While Rivers' numbers have been exceptional, I do think they are inflated by playing in better weather than his peers and playing in the AFC. I do know that I've seen Ben, Eli, and Brady play in snow, cold, and wind on several occasions. Lastly, I think each of these 3 QBs play in tougher divisions.

Post season droughts:

KC 3, Den 4, Oak 7 = 14, 12 in the last 5 years

Bal 0, Cin 0, Clev 7 = 7, 5 in the last 5 years

NJY 0, Mia 1, Buf 10 = 11, 6 in the last 5 years

Was 2, Dal 0, Phi 0 = 2, 2 in the last 5 years

Basically SD has had a cakewalk to the playoffs during the Rivers era and still no Super Bowl appearence. I think he'll at least need an AFC championship to get into the HOF. Moon is the only guy off the top of my head that got in and didn't at least have a conference championship victory. I would suggest that his CFL titles and possibly skin color had something to do with that because there's not a huge amount separating Moon as a 1st ballot HOFer from Vinny T or Bledsoe who are an afterthought.

eta - By afterthought, not highly thought of on this board as HOF material. They should be coming up as eligible in 1-2 years.

Here's the list of the top 20 QBs in career yardage

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Yds Years Teams

1. Brett Favre (40) 71,603 1991-2010 4TM

2. Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999 mia

3. Peyton Manning (33) 53,187 1998-2010 clt

4. John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998 den

5. Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000 4TM

6. Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978 2TM

7. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007 7TM

8. Drew Bledsoe 44,611 1993-2006 3TM

9. Dan Fouts+ 43,040 1973-1987 sdg

10. Joe Montana+ 40,551 1979-1994 2TM

11. Johnny Unitas+ 40,239 1956-1973 2TM

12. Kerry Collins (37) 39,256 1995-2010 5TM

13. Dave Krieg 38,147 1980-1998 6TM

14. Boomer Esiason 37,920 1984-1997 3TM

15. Donovan McNabb (33) 35,515 1999-2010 2TM

16. Jim Kelly+ 35,467 1986-1996 buf

17. Jim Everett 34,837 1986-1997 3TM

18. Jim Hart 34,665 1966-1984 2TM

19. Steve DeBerg 34,241 1978-1998 6TM

20. Drew Brees (30) 33,615 2001-2010 2TM

47K yards and you are in. I could see this number moving to 50K+ and passing numbers increase. Really this number should be 39K as Vinny, Bledsoe, and Collins aren't HOF eligible.

While Rivers' numbers have been exceptional, I do think they are inflated by playing in better weather than his peers and playing in the AFC. I do know that I've seen Ben, Eli, and Brady play in snow, cold, and wind on several occasions. Lastly, I think each of these 3 QBs play in tougher divisions.Post season droughts:KC 3, Den 4, Oak 7 = 14, 12 in the last 5 yearsBal 0, Cin 0, Clev 7 = 7, 5 in the last 5 yearsNJY 0, Mia 1, Buf 10 = 11, 6 in the last 5 yearsWas 2, Dal 0, Phi 0 = 2, 2 in the last 5 yearsBasically SD has had a cakewalk to the playoffs during the Rivers era and still no Super Bowl appearence. I think he'll at least need an AFC championship to get into the HOF. Moon is the only guy off the top of my head that got in and didn't at least have a conference championship victory. I would suggest that his CFL titles and possibly skin color had something to do with that because there's not a huge amount separating Moon as a 1st ballot HOFer from Vinny T who's an afterthought.
I think you are selling Moon short here. Also, Fouts made the HOF without a Super Bowl appearance.

JWB, since it is career up to this point, could you add in the 2004 and 2005 seasons? tia
No. I have not been discussing "career up to this point" in terms of comparing Rivers to others, and I'm not sure anyone else has either.I have made certain claims in this thread. First, I think Rivers will be a HOFer. Second, I think he is a better QB right now than Roethlisberger and Eli. Third, I think he has been better overall since 2006, when he first became a starter, than Roethlisberger and Eli. Fourth, I think it's fair to say both Roethlisberger and Eli are more accomplished given that they have won championships. I don't think any of that has to do with 2004 and 2005.

While Rivers' numbers have been exceptional, I do think they are inflated by playing in better weather than his peers and playing in the AFC. I do know that I've seen Ben, Eli, and Brady play in snow, cold, and wind on several occasions. Lastly, I think each of these 3 QBs play in tougher divisions.Post season droughts:KC 3, Den 4, Oak 7 = 14, 12 in the last 5 yearsBal 0, Cin 0, Clev 7 = 7, 5 in the last 5 yearsNJY 0, Mia 1, Buf 10 = 11, 6 in the last 5 yearsWas 2, Dal 0, Phi 0 = 2, 2 in the last 5 yearsBasically SD has had a cakewalk to the playoffs during the Rivers era and still no Super Bowl appearence. I think he'll at least need an AFC championship to get into the HOF. Moon is the only guy off the top of my head that got in and didn't at least have a conference championship victory. I would suggest that his CFL titles and possibly skin color had something to do with that because there's not a huge amount separating Moon as a 1st ballot HOFer from Vinny T who's an afterthought.
I think you are selling Moon short here. Also, Fouts made the HOF without a Super Bowl appearance.
Good point on Fouts. He was a stat amasser before it became the norm and also one of my favorite players as a kid.

Good response. Not a huge fan of the "you haven't watched them much" argument, but some interesting arguments. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'll take a look when I'm better rested.
I didn't mean that to be insulting. I just don't know how someone can watch a lot of both of them and not know with certainty that Rivers is a better QB without having to once refer to statistics. If you don't see that, as surprising as that is to me, I can just agree to disagree on that point and move on.

where do u get those splits choke? also, you cited his passer rating this season, what is it for his career?

I think people who favor him over Rivers give more credit to the QB for wins and losses than I do. Case in point is this year, when the Chargers special teams have lost 2-3 games for the Chargers, which isn't Rivers' fault.
You got me too looking at the splits.When the Chargers are down by 1-8 points... Rivers is a 77.8 rating passer this season. Thats a big part of the W/L being 5-5.When they need him to overcome and lead the team to victories, meh. In his career he is 30TD/20Ints in those close, but trailing, situations. Meanwhile Ben in those situations has 4 straight seasons at 103+ rating. 25td/8int.You cant deny the win-loss effect directly attributed to them on this point. And this is absolutely apparent when watching the games.
Yes, Rivers hasn't been as good this year when down by 1-8 points as he should be. However, I get different numbers than you when looking back through his splits. Using passer rating as shorthand, here are his season ratings since he became a starter when down by 1-8 points:2006: 119.72007: 88.12008: 116.22009: 91.42010: 77.8His overall rating is 95.4 in that situation, and I count 30 TDs and 16 interceptions, not 30/20. Looks like this year is an outlier, and I'd expect it will improve over the remainder of this season, which would in turn push his overall rating in this situation above 100.As for Ben's 4 straight seasons of 103+, I agree that is a credit to him. However, it's worth noting that he has a total of just 238 attempts in those situations over that span, whereas Rivers has 433 over those same seasons. That just serves to illustrate that Roethlisberger shouldn't be overcredited for the wins. He has quite obviously had a much better defense and special teams during his career than Rivers has, and this is one way it shows.

In the same sense that you wanted credit more team to W/Ls ... Ill tell you team also gives a lot of credence to raw stats that can end up on a player.

Like attempts. Its not quantity, its quality. And thsi year Rivers is on pace to crush his old attempts record. Though Im not knocking his stats at all.

imo, of course.
Yes, Rivers is on pace to crush his old attempts record... because the Chargers have consistently ranked in the bottom quarter of the league throughout his career in passing attempts prior to this season. The fact is that he is 8th in the league in attempts, but he is leading the league in passing yards and passing TDs.I agree that quality is more important than quantity. And no QB in the league is providing better quality in his play right now than Rivers.

Rivers is a 77.8 rating passer this season.
, I get different numbers than you when looking back through his splits. Using passer rating as shorthand, here are his season ratings since he became a starter when down by 1-8 points:2010: 77.8
:thumbup:
You said 30 TDs and 20 interceptions, which was wrong. Hence the different numbers comment. I also pointed out that in his career he has been quite good in that situation prior to this year. I think he'll pick it up down the stretch.

Since 2006:

NFC East 35 games over .500

AFC North 2 games over .500

AFC West 32 games below .500

The Chargers are the only team in the AFC West to finish a season above .500 since 2006.

Rivers has definitely benefited a bit by playing in a soft division, but if you look at all of their games from last year, for example, he did pretty well against most of the top defenses that the Chargers faced, so you can't ignore that.

Since 2006:

The Chargers are the only team in the AFC West to finish a season above .500 since 2006.
surely you see why this is misleading. the steelers dont play the steelers. the patriots dont play the patriots.lets try it again sans the teams we are comparing.

Since 2006:

surely you see why this is misleading. the steelers dont play the steelers. the patriots dont play the patriots.lets try it again sans the teams we are comparing.
Then the AFC west will look even worse.IIRC Rivers is 3-4 in the playoffs. Losing to Brady twice, Big Ben and the jets last year. Not exactly losing to chumps

BTW he is 2-0 in the plays vs. Peyton.

To be fair, a team's pass defense is only loosely correlated with a team's record. Rivers has been going up against two of the best corners in the league four times a year, too.

What good teams has he played and beaten? If he stays in that weak division he's in he'll always have super high passing numbers. So to answer your question yes. Even though most of his wins are against teams under 500. If you ask me he is a bit overrated.

What good teams has he played and beaten? If he stays in that weak division he's in he'll always have super high passing numbers. So to answer your question yes. Even though most of his wins are against teams under 500. If you ask me he is a bit overrated.
He has a 2-0 record against Indy in the playoffs ... last time I checked they were pretty good and had a pretty good QB.Phil Rivers gets a bad rap because of the way he presents himself on the field. Some of the ire is warranted but the guy has amazing talent and plays well against quality defenses.

To be fair, a team's pass defense is only loosely correlated with a team's record. Rivers has been going up against two of the best corners in the league four times a year, too.
You do realize that Oakland's defense has ranked in the 20s the three years previous to this one, right? And the Broncos' defense has been dreadful the last three and a half years, except for the first half of last year. So, despite having great corners, those defenses have not been good, and thus, rather easy pickings for a lot of QBs, not just Rivers.

You do realize that Oakland's defense has ranked in the 20s the three years previous to this one, right? And the Broncos' defense has been dreadful the last three and a half years, except for the first half of last year. So, despite having great corners, those defenses have not been good, and thus, rather easy pickings for a lot of QBs, not just Rivers.
If their pass defenses are bad, then that's a legitimate point. If the teams are bad, it's not. That's all I'm saying.

With the changes to the league making it harder on the defense, I can see him putting up massive numbers but at the same time other QBs will start doing it too

Rivers is a stud. I have always loved his talent. I hope he is rewarded one day with induction to the HOF.

Even, the he is the enemy. Much respect. Wish we had him on our team.

Revisiting this thread because of a discussion in the Chargers offseason thread. I'm feeling more pessimistic after the end of the 2010 season and a disappointing 2011 season. Funny that 4624 passing yards and 27 passing TDs is labeled as disappointing, but it was.

After his first 4 seasons as a starter, Rivers was 46-18 in the regular season, with 3 postseason appearances and 3 postseason wins. But in the past 2 seasons, he is just 17-15 in the regular season with no postseason. As I have said in this thread, I think QBs tend to get too much credit and too much blame for wins and losses, but it's part of how they are evaluated, and what was a positive for Rivers is no longer.

He is 30 and has been in the NFL for 8 years (starting only 6), and he has 0 major honors/awards, 0 1st or 2nd team All Pro selections, and limited postseason success. He has made 4 Pro Bowls, which is solid, but that's it.

His rate statistics are still excellent: #5 all time in passer rating and YPA and #10 all time in completion percentage. And he has been in the top 10 in passing yards and passing TDs in 5 of his 6 seasons as a starter. These things show that he should still project well in terms of career statistical rankings, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

Here are the QBs who have been inducted since the class of 2000:

Troy Aikman

Warren Moon

Steve Young

Dan Marino

John Elway

Jim Kelly

Joe Montana

The next four QBs likely to be inducted are:

Brett Favre

Kurt Warner

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

So how will Rivers measure up to those 11 QBs?

Montana, Elway, Brady, and Aikman all won multiple Super Bowls, in addition to other compelling accomplishments. Manning, Young, Favre, and Warner each won one Super Bowl, earned at least 2 1st team All Pro selections, and won at least one MVP award, in addition to other compelling accomplishments.

Marino held all of the all-time records when he retired.

That leaves the current/recent HOF QB bar set by Moon and Kelly. Moon retired from the NFL in the top 4 all time in passing attempts, completions, yards, and TDs. Kelly led his team to 4 straight Super Bowls.

If Rivers ultimately retires in the top 5 in yards and TDs and/or leads his teams to 4 straight Super Bowls, he should get in. But at this point, both of those accomplishments seem like long shots.

In addition to the QBs already named, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, and Brees all seem like likely HOFers from his peer group. And, while it's early for Rodgers, he already has a lead on Rivers with a Super Bowl win.

IMO Rivers is looking a lot more like a long shot today than he did in midseason 2010.

I think people who favor him over Rivers give more credit to the QB for wins and losses than I do. Case in point is this year, when the Chargers special teams have lost 2-3 games for the Chargers, which isn't Rivers' fault.
You got me too looking at the splits.When the Chargers are down by 1-8 points... Rivers is a 77.8 rating passer this season. Thats a big part of the W/L being 5-5.When they need him to overcome and lead the team to victories, meh. In his career he is 30TD/20Ints in those close, but trailing, situations. Meanwhile Ben in those situations has 4 straight seasons at 103+ rating. 25td/8int.You cant deny the win-loss effect directly attributed to them on this point. And this is absolutely apparent when watching the games.
Yes, Rivers hasn't been as good this year when down by 1-8 points as he should be. However, I get different numbers than you when looking back through his splits. Using passer rating as shorthand, here are his season ratings since he became a starter when down by 1-8 points:2006: 119.72007: 88.12008: 116.22009: 91.42010: 77.8His overall rating is 95.4 in that situation, and I count 30 TDs and 16 interceptions, not 30/20. Looks like this year is an outlier, and I'd expect it will improve over the remainder of this season, which would in turn push his overall rating in this situation above 100.As for Ben's 4 straight seasons of 103+, I agree that is a credit to him. However, it's worth noting that he has a total of just 238 attempts in those situations over that span, whereas Rivers has 433 over those same seasons. That just serves to illustrate that Roethlisberger shouldn't be overcredited for the wins. He has quite obviously had a much better defense and special teams during his career than Rivers has, and this is one way it shows.
Rivers finished 2010 with a 74.0 passer rating when trailing by 1-8 points, and followed that up with a 77.1 passer rating in that situation last year. This has definitely hurt his numbers and hurt the Chargers the past two years.

At his current rate of not doing anything in the playoffs, he's gonna have to finish his career near the top in all QB statistics and be considered one of the best QBs of his era. Not seeing either one of those right now. Doesn't help that he plays in San Diego. He also has zero all pro awards.

I would vote Maybe, had it been an option. If he doesn't win a SB or two, No. If he continues to play like he has for another 5 or 6 years and he wins a couple of SB trophies, then he has a chance.

No, too many QBs in his era have rings and similar stats. In his own draft class 2 QBs have 2 rings. Unless the HOF starts accepting mediocrity.... he won't be in.

I would vote Maybe, had it been an option. If he doesn't win a SB or two, No. If he continues to play like he has for another 5 or 6 years and he wins a couple of SB trophies, then he has a chance.
IMO he would be a lock in the bolded scenario.

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Matthew Stafford

Eli Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Philip Rivers

Tony Romo

Matt Ryan

Ben Roethlisberger

Just looking at the list of players from last year ......

Brees, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers would all be ahead of him. Lets just give everyone kid a trophy for participating.

I think Rivers and Tony Romo will get in the same year.
so never.
Pretty much. But Romo is only 31 and I would think in a much better offensive situation than Rivers right now. If anything Romo might be more likely to be better from this point on in his career. If he can keep his job.
Romo was clearly better than Rivers in 2007 and 2011, Rivers was clearly better in 2008 and 2009 and had a monster season in 2010 when Romo was hurt. Rivers is more than 1.5 years younger than Romo. Why would Romo be better from this point forward?

so never.
Pretty much. But Romo is only 31 and I would think in a much better offensive situation than Rivers right now. If anything Romo might be more likely to be better from this point on in his career. If he can keep his job.
Romo was clearly better than Rivers in 2007 and 2011, Rivers was clearly better in 2008 and 2009 and had a monster season in 2010 when Romo was hurt. Rivers is more than 1.5 years younger than Romo. Why would Romo be better from this point forward?
Austin, Bryant, Witten, Murray, Jones.

Hall of fame no longer exists. Its the hall of very good now.

so never.
Not clearly better than Meachem, Floyd, Brown, Gates, Mathews IMO. :shrug:

so never.
Not clearly better than Meachem, Floyd, Brown, Gates, Mathews IMO. :shrug:
imo it is. :shrug:

'ImTheScientist said:
Drew Brees Tom Brady Matthew Stafford Eli Manning Aaron Rodgers Philip Rivers Tony Romo Matt Ryan Ben Roethlisberger Just looking at the list of players from last year ......Brees, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rodgers would all be ahead of him. Lets just give everyone kid a trophy for participating.
Stafford has a LONG ways to go. So do Romo and Ryan. Even Rodgers has more to do.Brees, Brady, Eli, and Big Ben are locks.

Obviously Philip Rivers hasn't done enough yet to call him a HOFer. And for those who think a QB needs rings to make the HOF, he's also on pace for zero of those. But I'm wondering if you think when his career is over, and 30 years from now, do you think he will be in the Hall?

I think yes, and I'm as confident as I could be about a QB at his age with no rings to his name. I expect by the time he retires, he has one or two SB appearances, with one or two rings, an MVP or two, and will go have some of the best efficiency numbers in league history. So an overwhelming yes for me, but I expect another decade of very good play.

What do you think? Will he make it?
He needs to do more than Bledsoe and Esiason, but he hasn't yet. He's pretty even with them through age 30 but they went downhill after 30. Here's hoping he doesn't.

'ImTheScientist said:
No, too many QBs in his era have rings and similar stats. In his own draft class 2 QBs have 2 rings. Unless the HOF starts accepting mediocrity.... he won't be in.
There are 3 HOF QB's from the 1983 draft. Other QB's from the same draft being HOF's should have no bearing on whether he deserves to get in.

'az_prof said:
If he plays like he has and wins one ring he has a chance. Two? He'd be in.That said its not looking good for that one and it would seem very unlikely for him to make it in without the ring. He does seem a bit Bledsoe-ish

Users who are viewing this thread