What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers to tender Lloyd at first-round level (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
49ers intend to keep Lloyd

By MATT MAIOCCO

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

INDIANAPOLIS - The 49ers are not going to take any chances with restricted free agent Brandon Lloyd.

The 49ers will tender Lloyd, the team's leading receiver last season, at a first-round level, coach Mike Nolan said. The move makes it unlikely any other team will attempt to sign the three-year veteran. Lloyd will receive approximately $1.6 million next season if he signs the one-year tender with the 49ers.

If Lloyd signed an offer sheet with another team, the 49ers would have the right to match. If they declined to match, the 49ers would receive a first-round draft pick as compensation.

The 49ers could have tendered Lloyd at approximately $720,000, but another team would yield only a fourth-round pick as the price for signing him.

Lloyd was a fourth-round selection in 2003.

The 49ers' other restricted free agent, quarterback Ken Dorsey, will be tendered at the lower figure, Nolan said. The 49ers would receive a seventh-round pick as compensation if another team signed Dorsey to a contract the 49ers declined to match.

One of the major reasons the 49ers are going to great lengths to retain Lloyd is because of the dearth of quality receivers available through the draft or free agency.

"You have to look at the entire picture, but first he has to warrant it just by his ability to play," Nolan said .

The 49ers signed receiver Arnaz Battle to a four-year, $9.4 million contract extension last season. Battle then missed eight starts because of injuries. He caught 25 passes for 274 yards and three touchdowns. Lloyd had 42 receptions for 667 yards and five touchdowns. The 49ers are likely to open next season with Lloyd and Battle back as the starters.

"Arnaz was a good player for us, when he played, and Brandon has a lot of NFL skills," 49ers receivers coach Jerry Sullivan said. "But I want competition to be hot and heavy."

EXTRA POINTS

The 49ers have reached an agreement with place-kicker Joe Nedney on a multiyear contract that averages $1.4 million annually, according to a league source. The deal is expected to become official on the first day of free agency.

Ohio State defensive end Mike Kudla tied a combine record in the bench press with 45 repetition s of 225 pounds.

Among the players the Raiders have interviewed are tight ends David Thomas (Texas) and Tim Day (Oregon), and defensive back Marcus Maxey (Miami). The 49ers were scheduled to interview Texas safety Michael Huff on Sunday night.

The 49ers will not make much of an effort to re-sign fullback Fred Beasley, Nolan said. The club would like to bring back unrestricted free agent Chris Hetherington.

49ers intend to keep Lloyd

By MATT MAIOCCO

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

The 49ers will not make much of an effort to re-sign fullback Fred Beasley, Nolan said. The club would like to bring back unrestricted free agent Chris Hetherington.
:cry: I will miss you beasley :cry:

Seems like a lot of money for Battle (hopefully for the 49ers sake it is backloaded).

If I ran a WCO I would take a chance on Dorsey for a 7th rounder...as long as HIS price tag was not too high.

Wow. I gotta say I am surprised by the first-round tender on Llyod. I know that there were some teams sniffing around him, the Eagles being one, but I have to think that this speaks more to the derth of quality FA WR than anything else.

Cue Llyod ducking video in 3, 2, 1...

:)

Edited to say:

I think that the 49ers should make Antonio Bryant an off-season priority. That guy will be loving life, the best of a not so great FA WR class, however I think he could fill a TO slot-type role in that offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's disappointing as a Lloyd owner in a keeper league. Lloyd has all kinds of talent that he flashes but has been on a bad offense so far in S.F. I would have liked to see him go to a team like the Eagles (or just about anywhere else for that matter). Now I'll probably cut him and keep someone else.

That's disappointing as a Lloyd owner in a keeper league. Lloyd has all kinds of talent that he flashes but has been on a bad offense so far in S.F. I would have liked to see him go to a team like the Eagles (or just about anywhere else for that matter). Now I'll probably cut him and keep someone else.
He had a rookie QB who had to adjust to an NFL style offense. Now is the worst time to drop him.

That's disappointing as a Lloyd owner in a keeper league.  Lloyd has all kinds of talent that he flashes but has been on a bad offense so far in S.F.  I would have liked to see him go to a team like the Eagles (or just about anywhere else for that matter).  Now I'll probably cut him and keep someone else.
He had a rookie QB who had to adjust to an NFL style offense. Now is the worst time to drop him.
I agree that his numbers should improve this year, but goodness, unless his keeper league allows him to keep most of his players, I imagine that he has more promising players than Lloyd to keep.

$#@k

Was really starting to believe that Nolan was going to let Lloyd go for a mid-round pick. I'm not waving Lloyd, but I was looking at him as a nice WR3 for fantasy purposes if he left.

Lloyd's value this year and beyond will be determined by one player...Brandon Lloyd. It's hard to blame anything on the 49ers when he's yet to develop his game beyond circus act.

I think Lloyd is a stud in the making. He is going to be a star in the league once Alex Smith catches up with the NFL. With Gore in the back field, this could be a nice offense if they put some guys on the offensive line. EJ should be back next season too and he makes a big difference in that offense. A strong TE makes the receivers and the RB better and gives the QB a comfort valve. I like where the 49ers are going.

I like Lloyd's potential too. The Niners offense can only improve.

The o-line will improve next year Jonas Jennings will come back healthy and hold down the left side, Baas and Harris will improve the right side.

Eric Johnson should be fully recovered from his plantar fascitis. I also hope the Niners pick up a TE in this deep TE draft. Because, Eric Johnson just can't be trusted to stay healthy. Lloyd, Battle and Amey provide an excellent WR group.

I'm not even worried about the running game with Norv Turner. Barlow and Gore will play well, and the loss of Beasley isn't that big a deal, because Hetherington has looked good.

Lloyd's value this year and beyond will be determined by one player...Brandon Lloyd. It's hard to blame anything on the 49ers when he's yet to develop his game beyond circus act.
I think you may be underestimating the Alex Smith factor here...How far Rashaun Wooods has fallen...

Users who are viewing this thread