What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers WR (1 Viewer)

perry147

Footballguy
I am trying to figure out what the 49ers are doing at WR this year.

Is Arnaz Battle the #1 next year? and Antonio Bryany as the #2?

Info on the 49er's WR move this offseason.

They lost their two best.

Brandon Lloyd was a traded by the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round three years ago. He was San Francisco's top receiver last season, catching 48 passes for 733 yards and five touchdowns for the NFL's worst offense, but alienated teammates and clashed with Mike Nolan's new coaching staff.

Rashaun Woods was traded in exchange for cornerback Sammy Davis.

Woods was a huge disappointment for the 49ers, who chose him with the 31st pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. He set records at Oklahoma State, but never earned even a minor spot in San Francisco's receiving corps, one of the NFL's weakest in the past two years.

Woods caught only seven passes for 160 yards as a rookie, and new coach Mike Nolan apparently saw him as a prime example of the questionable personnel decisions that got Terry Donahue fired as general manager.

Woods was nearly cut in training camp last season -- surviving only because of the salary-cap hit -- and then placed on injured reserve with a minor thumb problem.

Bryan Gilmore was signed but he is not an impact player by any means.

Bryan Gilmore (6-0, 193) is a six-year NFL veteran who played for the Arizona Cardinals and the Miami Dolphins. He has played in 55 games with 13 starts and has caught 38 passes for 533 yards and four touchdowns.

Gilmore is reunited with 49ers wide receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, who coached Gilmore in Arizona from 2001-03 and in Miami in 2004.

Jason McAddley was resigned but he is more of a special teams player.

Jason McAddley

The rest are Derrick Hamilton, Rasheed Marshall, Otis Amey (PR), Marcus Maxwell, P.J. Fleck.

Are the 49er going to go into next season with the following as their WR corp. are homers have any info?

Rasheed Marshall does have talent. Who knows when it will come together for him. He is also proving himself off the field.

Uhhhh, how is A. Battle over Bryant? They paid Bryant to be their #1 guy and he should be...baring them making a deal for J. Walker, which they are rumored to be one of the three teams interested in making a serious trade offer to GB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see SF draft a young WR if the right one fell too them in the second or third. Then again, they haven't had that much luck drafting WR's the last few yrs, so maybe they get another real WR in next year's FA.

#3 job seems wide open. Marcus Maxwell, Rasheed Marshall, Otis Amey, Derrick Hamilton among other will be fighting for it.

I see Bryant and Battle as 1A and 1B.

I see Battle as the better long term WR. I know Bryant was good last year. But, I have mixed feelings about him in SF.

What would the top WR for the 49ers be worth this coming year?
Not much. I would imagine Alex Smith will suck the 1st half of the season, making any SF WR have little to no value.

I am trying to figure out what the 49ers are doing at WR this year.

Is Arnaz Battle the #1 next year? and Antonio Bryant as the #2?

They lost their two best.

Brandon Lloyd ... Rashaun Woods
How is Battle better than Bryant but not better than Woods?Lloyd to Bryant isn't that big of a dropoff, as long as Bryant doesn't become a mini-T.O. / Javon Walker off the field.

Battle and Woods are interchangeable, and Battle has more potential.

Granted their current duo isn't great, it's not that much worse than last year.

Besides, NOBODY past Bryant and Battle will produce fantasy worthy numbers.

They should draft Vernon Davis to get Alex Smith some hel-p.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd list Battle and Bryant as 2a and 2b. They need a stud, but they have a long ways to go in regards to rebuilding.

My guess is they draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd to develop into a #1.

Not sure how Rashaun Woods gets mentioned as one of the 49ers best, he has arguably been one of the bigger busts of his draft class to date.

Putting aside attitude for a second, Antonio Bryant SHOULD be better than any WR on the 49ers roster a year ago (including Brandon Lloyd).

When Battle is healthy the coaches have nothing but good things to say about him. form a FF perspective he's been able to put up some points. The biggest issue seems to be his health. the guy can't seem to play more than 2 games in a row

missed 8 games in 2005 because of injury

I remain intrigued by Derrick Hamilton's potential, and if healthy, he could surprise. The healthy part is a big "if" though.

I remain intrigued by Derrick Hamilton's potential, and if healthy, he could surprise.  The healthy part is a big "if" though.
I feel the same about Maxwell, except insert "get it" for "healthy". The Niners have some interesting prospects (mentioned earlier) and a great WR coach (jerry sullivan) so they are all long term deep sleepers to watch in dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how Rashaun Woods gets mentioned as one of the 49ers best, he has arguably been one of the bigger busts of his draft class to date.

Putting aside attitude for a second, Antonio Bryant SHOULD be better than any WR on the 49ers roster a year ago (including Brandon Lloyd).
Jason, I agree. But, the attitude part has been an issue in the past. I think it was a bigger issue than the Browns let on, too.

I'd list Battle and Bryant as 2a and 2b. They need a stud, but they have a long ways to go in regards to rebuilding.

I guess you haven't really looked at this draft class huh? Bryant is 1 and Battle is 2. That much I think is clear as can be.

When Battle is healthy the coaches have nothing but good things to say about him. form a FF perspective he's been able to put up some points. The biggest issue seems to be his health. the guy can't seem to play more than 2 games in a row

missed 8 games in 2005 because of injury
Of course they have good things to say...he is exceeding what he was suppose to be. Remember, he was a later round PROJECT. Thus, anything other playing Arena League or in Europe is good. Granted Battle has shown promise, when healthy.Everyone talks about Bryant's off field issues or attitude...did he have any problems last year? CLE stated they had no issue w/ Bryant and he was well behaved...they just want to make sure the B. Edwards is the #1 option. Maybe he just didn't get along or clashed with Parcells...maybe? For those who keep pointing out his attitude, try to remember that SF wanted this guy and they see real hope in him OR ELSE they wouldn't have paid like a #1. Plain and simple...they didn't have to get him, they didn't have to trade away B. Lloyd...THEY WANTED THIS GUY (A. BRYANT) PERIOD.

I guess you haven't really looked at this draft class huh? Bryant is 1 and Battle is 2. That much I think is clear as can be.
My point was... I don't think either of them are a true, #1 NFL WR.

A. Bryant has put up decent #s every time he's gotten playing time.

in addition, being on the 9ers now, he will be available dirt cheap in your drafts.

perfect guy to pencil in as your WR #4 this year. (great depth guy.)

I remain intrigued by Derrick Hamilton's potential, and if healthy, he could surprise. The healthy part is a big "if" though.
I think that Hamilton had been named wr2, before he tore his acl up in an early 2005 mini camp. Don't know if his knee will be healthy enough, so soon, to give serious competition for the #2 spot. He does have the size and ability, if healthy to be a player to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread