What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (6 Viewers)

My mom died this morning.
I moved back home almost 7 years ago to take care of her.
She became a widow early in life, back in 1972 with 7 kids were young enough to still be living at home.
A few years later her dad died and her mom moved in with us. I saw my mom take care of her mom while she was a widow with 7 kids.
Unbelievable conviction.
She was one of those people that everyone loved.
Gatherings were epic at her home, especially the holidays.
About 10 years ago when I was home for Christmas, I noticed how old she was getting. As she was dropping me off at the airport, I grabbed her and looked deep into her eyes and told her that if she ever needed me that I would drop everything and come back home to take care of her.
When I heard she was in trouble I quit my job, gave up my apartment, got rid of all of my possessions that couldn't fit in my car, and drove across the country and got in late, she was in a recovery center after nearly dying from an infection.
Everyone told me that mom had been waiting for me, I was tired by went and as I came into the room she perked up and we made eye contact. Same look we shared when I told her years before that I would be there for her.
She lost a leg to the infection and was wheelchair bound. Had many other ailments and then a stroke.
I became her arms and legs, fed and bathed her, we were basically one person.
I began taking her for walks, first around the block, then a few blocks to the library, then further and further till we began taking walks to the beach in the next town, a fifteen-mile round trip. People would see us and smile, wave, tell us that we were their hero's, come out of their homes to tell us how much seeing us meant to them.
I realized having others see us had meaning.
We took that walk for the last time in November.
We went for a small walk two days ago to the lake.
Taking care of my mom was the best job I ever had.
If you ever get the privilege of taking care of your loved ones, jump at the opportunity.

She became a widow early in life, back in 1972 with 7 kids were young enough to still be living at home.
A few years later her dad died and her mom moved in with us. I saw my mom take care of her mom while she was a widow with 7 kids.
Unbelievable conviction.
About 10 years ago when I was home for Christmas, I noticed how old she was getting. As she was dropping me off at the airport, I grabbed her and looked deep into her eyes and told her that if she ever needed me that I would drop everything and come back home to take care of her.
When I heard she was in trouble I quit my job, gave up my apartment, got rid of all of my possessions that couldn't fit in my car, and drove across the country and got in late, she was in a recovery center after nearly dying from an infection.
Everyone told me that mom had been waiting for me, I was tired by went and as I came into the room she perked up and we made eye contact. Same look we shared when I told her years before that I would be there for her.
She lost a leg to the infection and was wheelchair bound. Had many other ailments and then a stroke.
I began taking her for walks, first around the block, then a few blocks to the library, then further and further till we began taking walks to the beach in the next town, a fifteen-mile round trip. People would see us and smile, wave, tell us that we were their hero's, come out of their homes to tell us how much seeing us meant to them.
If you ever get the privilege of taking care of your loved ones, jump at the opportunity.
Very sorry for your loss.

Reactions: SWC
Unbelievable conviction.
I’m really sorry, Bracie. My condolences to you and your family. Sounds like you had a special relationship and kudos to you for your dedication.

Unbelievable conviction.
Sorry for your loss GB.

Unbelievable conviction.
You're incredibly lucky to have had this time with her, and she was incredibly lucky to have a child like you. Terribly sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing. I hope when the time comes that I have the conviction and courage to sacrifice for my loved ones the way that you describe here. God bless.

Unbelievable conviction.
Condolences Bracie and thank you for sharing an incredible story.

You're incredibly lucky to have had this time with her, and she was incredibly lucky to have a child like you. Terribly sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing. I hope when the time comes that I have the conviction and courage to sacrifice for my loved ones the way that you describe here. God bless.

Exactly this. Sorry for your loss, Bracie.

Unbelievable conviction.
This is both sad and inspiring. Peace be with you.

Unbelievable conviction.
Wow. This was one of the best things I have ever read on this site.

Unbelievable conviction.
Wow. This was one of the best things I have ever read on this site.
Agreed. I didn’t really know what to say so I will second this.

Unbelievable conviction.
Sorry for your loss, but that was a great story. I am sure your mom was proud.

I lost my mom a year ago this week and it's a loss you never recover from. Stay strong, but don't be afraid to let it out when needed.

Statement on President Carter’s Health from The Carter Center​

Feb. 18, 2023
ATLANTA (Feb. 18, 2023) — After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team. The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.

Unbelievable conviction.

I lost my mom a year ago this week and it's a loss you never recover from. Stay strong, but don't be afraid to let it out when needed.
It will be 6 years for me this coming week. And cannot believe its been that long. Agreed with this sentiment for sure.

Unbelievable conviction.

It will be 6 years for me this coming week. And cannot believe its been that long. Agreed with this sentiment for sure.
For me also. It just doesn't seem possible.

Richard Belzer

yikes ...another one hitting close to home. He was one of the young gun comedians when I was growing up ...bummer.
RIP Detective Munch

"His character Detective John Munch, whom he played continuously on Homicide: Life on the Street (1993) and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999) from January 1993 to May 2016, was the longest-running character on U.S. prime-time drama television." IMDB

Richard Belzer

yikes ...another one hitting close to home. He was one of the young gun comedians when I was growing up ...bummer.
RIP Detective Munch

"His character Detective John Munch, whom he played continuously on Homicide: Life on the Street (1993) and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999) from January 1993 to May 2016, was the longest-running character on U.S. prime-time drama television." IMDB
It blew people's minds that Ice-T went from a cop-hating rapper to a cop-portraying actor on L&O:SVU. His castmate Belzer was an equally unlikely portrayer of a cop. Belzer's early comedy was very pro-drugs and anti-establishment.

Richard Belzer

RIP Detective Munch

It blew people's minds that Ice-T went from a cop-hating rapper to a cop-portraying actor on L&O:SVU. His castmate Belzer was an equally unlikely portrayer of a cop. Belzer's early comedy was very pro-drugs and anti-establishment.

I loved his character - he still felt a little pro-drugs and anti-establishment- Munch definitely had a small tin foil hat too.

RIP

Richard Belzer

RIP Detective Munch

I loved his character - he still felt a little pro-drugs and anti-establishment- Munch definitely had a small tin foil hat too.

RIP
Yes, the character was a conspiracy theorist just like the actor. But it was never portrayed in an over-the-top or harmful way.

Unbelievable conviction.

Bracie, I know we go back and forth but I've read few things on this site that are this beautiful. My condolences on your loss. I can only hope to be there for my mother like that when the time comes to be there for her. I know it will be hard, and must have been hard for you, but the time you spent must have been golden for her, you, and others.

Peace be with you. You're in my thoughts tonight.

Last edited:
Unbelievable conviction.
Bracie, two of my brothers did this for my mom under similar circumstances. May your mom rest in peace knowing that she raised such a loving and selfless son.

Thanks for all of the well wishes.
A few years back my mom suffered a stroke and had to be hospitalized, that was the lowest point emotionally for me because I knew it was not her time, it didn't feel right. I just knew it wasn't right.
She hated hospitals so near the end we had home hospice because she would receive better care and she did. The stroke eventually took away her ability to take in food and drink which made her completely reliant on me. Every night as I was putting her to bed, she'd thank me for taking care of her. It was always a real deep-down statement with full weight of true depth when she thanked me even when she lost much of her breath and could barely get it out. Near the end she could not manage the words but by that time we communicated that with a glance.
She died on a date that had deep significance to everyone in our family. I had been seeing the number 217 for years, even before I moved back and told everyone how I kept seeing that number, everyone in our family noticed the same thing.
I was there when she took her last breath, it was peaceful.
Our dad died on February 7, she made it past that date, but her birthday was in the second week of March. We thought we could gather for another birthday, but she passed on February 17.
The number that everyone had been seeing for the last decade.
She went peacefully, it was her time.
She carefully picked the day.

Billy Joe "Red" McCombs, philanthropist, major booster of the University of Texas, and owner of the Minnesota Vikings from 1998-2005, passed away on Sunday He was 95.

Very sad to hear Keith Levene passed . He was a founding member of the Clash & PiL and a bit of an underrated luminary of post-punk and alternative.

Levene was legit alien 👽, i've never heard anything like the tone he achieved - his hand blessed metal axes had a ton to do with that, sure ... but he was an other wordly virtuoso, and one of the most intriguing chaps of the entire rock era.

his work on Swan Lake inspired a ton of post punk/Goth noise ... matter of fact, his fingerprints are all over the early works of Bauhaus - to a tee.

a top 5 guitarist for me - really sad to know he's shuffled off - but those early works with Lydon and Wobble are the timeless landmarks he deserves to be remembered and revered for.

Unbelievable conviction.

Bracie, I know we go back and forth but I've read few things on this site that are this beautiful. My condolences on your loss. I can only hope to be there for my mother like that when the time comes to be there for her. I know it will be hard, and must have been hard for you, but the time you spent must have been golden for her, you, and others.

Peace be with you. You're in my thoughts tonight.

This from me as well. I feel bad even bumping this as I fear it will upset you but I didn’t want to not say anything. So sorry.

Jansen Panettiere, 28-yr-old actor and younger brother of Hayden Panettiere, died from an enlarged heart. :(

Multi-instrumentalist David Lindley, age 78.

Oh won’t you stay?
Just a little bit longer …

I remember discovering El Rayo-X and blasting "Mercury Blues" on our high school radio station. He was a unique talent. RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread